Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Quite a few Mayo dropouts have gone on to play for other counties in recent years - aside from the players that went to the overseas teams there has been BJP to Armagh, O'Malley to Wicklow, Kilcullen to Sligo and now Ruddy to Sligo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Quite a few Mayo dropouts have gone on to play for other counties in recent years - aside from the players that went to the overseas teams there has been BJP to Armagh, O'Malley to Wicklow, Kilcullen to Sligo and now Ruddy to Sligo as well.

There was another Alan Costello to Sligo as well

is any one bar me having any hassel printing off there sesaon ticket from the site

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    is any one bar me having any hassel printing off there sesaon ticket from the site

You just bring your season ticket to the stile on Sunday. Nothing to print unless I am missing something!

yop wrote: »
    You just bring your season ticket to the stile on Sunday. Nothing to print unless I am missing something!

Your stop on yop it's different to last yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

naughto wrote: »

I should hope you are having trouble printing off your season ticket :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I should hope you are having trouble printing off your season ticket :D

Maybe take a picture of it on the screen and print that out :D

Team out tomorrow night? Regan getting rave reviews. I think we could see him towards the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Also forecast wet for Sunday,would be interesting to see young Regan at some stage on Sunday,not long now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

eastmayo wrote: »
    Also forecast wet for Sunday,would be interesting to see young Regan at some stage on Sunday,not long now!

lovely in the uncovered seating.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

irishgeo wrote: »
    lovely in the uncovered seating.:rolleyes:

I watched the 2011 final (the one with the really bad wind and rain, but worse when they played against it according the the Rossies) from the terrace in the Hyde, and only the top of my head got wet as it was so packed the rain had nowhere to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on 4 stand tickets or is that possible? Thanks

lippy88 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can get my hands on 4 stand tickets or is that possible? Thanks

SuperValu at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

lippy88 wrote: »

Judging by the uptake in our club you'd want to get a move on. It'll sell out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Possibly some welcome news that the joint management are looking at means to protect our full back line and address the much talked about defensive frailties we have.

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/241054

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Team announced:
    1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    3. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Tom Parsons - Charlestown Sarsfields
    10. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    13. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    15. Jason Doherty – Burrishoole

2 changes - Ger Cafferkey will replace Chris Barrett and after impressing off the bench Donal Vaughan comes into the side for the injured Kevin Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

glack wrote: »
    Team announced:
    1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    3. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Tom Parsons - Charlestown Sarsfields
    10. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    13. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    15. Jason Doherty – Burrishoole

2 changes - Ger Cafferkey will replace Chris Barrett and after impressing off the bench Donal Vaughan comes into the side for the injured Kevin Keane.

Donie at 3 and Jason 15 seem slightly odd but for no reason other than used to seeing both at half back and half forward.
    Jason used to be a regular on the full forward line before. Hoping he can regain that ability to bury loads of goals in games he had a few years back, that was in the FBD mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blackjack wrote: »
    Donie at 3 and Jason 15 seem slightly odd but for no reason other than used to seeing both at half back and half forward.
    Jason used to be a regular on the full forward line before. Hoping he can regain that ability to bury loads of goals in games he had a few years back, that was in the FBD mind.

caff will be FB cunnife in the corner and Donie CB ya would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'd expect to see Doc swich with AOS. The backs will be shuffled around, like KM79 said.

Overall, it's strong line-up. I wonder if Keane's injury is serious? He has been fairly solid this year but Caff is a quality replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

km79 wrote: »
    caff will be FB cunnife in the corner and Donie CB ya would imagine

That would be the more usual format alright.

It was actually the NFL rather than the FBD.

He got 7 in the league in 2012 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

New management but more or less the same team the last management Would pick. Surprising or to be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

New management but more or less the same team the last management Would pick. Surprising or to be expected?

If Regan was not just coming back from injury, I think he'd possibly start ahead of Andy, that's probably the only change I'd like to see.

The team were barely a kick of the ball away from an All Ireland the last few years and no-one has retired, so no need for drastic changes. I'd be more inclined to see what kind of different tactics they employ to be honest; the players that are there are good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Hardly surprising, they're the best players in the county(give or take a player) and have lost 3 championship games in 3 years, including 2 All Ireland's and a semi final replay to the eventual AI champions.
    I think it's fairly commonly agreed that Mayo have the players to win an All Ireland, we just need some system tweaks at this stage as opposed to a complete overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Doherty will just go to midfield, he was named at 15 in the last game if I'm correct and spent most of the game acting as a roving half-forward. I thought Horan got the best out of him, deploying him on the wing where he became an extra midfielder, winning kickouts, getting up and down the pitch.

His role under C&H is probably similar as Aidan will be given a lot of freedom so the midfield have to accomodate this somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone else feeling 'meh' about Sunday?

Obviously it's a great achievement to be aiming for 5 in a row, but I miss the build up to a Mayo V Galway final with nothing between them....

padd b1975 wrote: »

Obviously it's a great achievement to be aiming for 5 in a row, but I miss the build up to a Mayo V Galway final with nothing between them....

I'm a little bit like this myself. When the ball is thrown in there will be some excitement but it's not a Connacht Final with much going for it.

No two cars going from here with the lads on board so should be good Craic if it stays dry it would help but its not looking good.
    Good few pints will be had when we get back Sunday providing we have the cup,sure what else do ya want.

Far from it actually.

Personally I have not had the chance to see many live games this year so I'm really looking forward to it.

But it's also the beginning of the real stuff, we have waited so long between games and now if we win this we know there is an outing in CP on August 8th.
    And in the meantime we can be looking at who the possible opponents may be and who we hope they may be.
    An possible SF opponents will be determined at that point too, so between Sunday and August 8th we will have plenty to think about.

With the exception of D O' Connor and the possible introduction of Regan there is no new players introduced to this team in the past few years

And that is a major worry.

As I said last year the team does not need major overhaul but it does need fresh blood in certain areas, unfortunately that has not happened.

Yes these guys have been close to winning it all but yet they have not, and I fear that they may not ever

I recall coming out of the 9th loss to Kerry in the 2011 SF full of hope because these guys and Horan showed us that they were on the up.

The night of the Final loss to Donegal I looked at the program and realized that the average age of these guys was around 25.

But whne we lost to Dublin in 2013 it was if the last chance for a number of years may have gone, and I felt the same the night after they lost to Kerry in Limerick, and even worse the next day when we saw that it was Donegal and not Dublin in the final.

I'd love to be able to compare this Mayo team to the Cork team from the mid '00s.
    The Cork team that were knocked out of the championship 5 years in a row by Kerry in either the final or SF, but they hung around and eventually in 2010 they got to a final and meet a team that were not that accustomed to being there, and they managed a win.

Mayo need the luck that Cork team had.
    Since '04 Mayo have always faced juggernauts in AI finals.
    They need to catch a break to win one at this stage, Cork or Kerry beat Dublin, Monaghan or even Galway or Tyrone progress from the other side, something like that.

One can only hope, otherwise the names Keith Higgins, Andy Moran, Seamus O' Shea will go down in history just like the names Willie Joe Padden, T.J. Kilgannon, Liam McHale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

We are beginning to sound like Roscommon lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Kalyke wrote: »

In fairness, this Mayo team has earned the right to be a little underwhelmed about a Connacht final. So it's a little different to Roscommon who haven't achieved anything near Mayo in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

There is no place for arrogance or complacency in racing (football) because you are up there one minute and on your backside the next.

Tony McCoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

With the exception of D O' Connor and the possible introduction of Regan there is no new players introduced to this team in the past few years

And that is a major worry.

As I said last year the team does not need major overhaul but it does need fresh blood in certain areas, unfortunately that has not happened.

Yes these guys have been close to winning it all but yet they have not, and I fear that they may not ever

I recall coming out of the 9th loss to Kerry in the 2011 SF full of hope because these guys and Horan showed us that they were on the up.

The night of the Final loss to Donegal I looked at the program and realized that the average age of these guys was around 25.

But whne we lost to Dublin in 2013 it was if the last chance for a number of years may have gone, and I felt the same the night after they lost to Kerry in Limerick, and even worse the next day when we saw that it was Donegal and not Dublin in the final.

I'd love to be able to compare this Mayo team to the Cork team from the mid '00s.
    The Cork team that were knocked out of the championship 5 years in a row by Kerry in either the final or SF, but they hung around and eventually in 2010 they got to a final and meet a team that were not that accustomed to being there, and they managed a win.

Mayo need the luck that Cork team had.
    Since '04 Mayo have always faced juggernauts in AI finals.
    They need to catch a break to win one at this stage, Cork or Kerry beat Dublin, Monaghan or even Galway or Tyrone progress from the other side, something like that.

One can only hope, otherwise the names Keith Higgins, Andy Moran, Seamus O' Shea will go down in history just like the names Willie Joe Padden, T.J. Kilgannon, Liam McHale

I think Mayo got the chance you speak of in 2011 when they faced Donegal who were in only their 2nd All Ireland and their 1st in 20 years. In 2012 they faced a Dublin side who were hyped and fancied but who underperformed to the same degree they underperformed against Donegal in the semi last year but Mayo did not have the killer to do the job. They were cruising with 5 minutes to go last year in the first game with Kerry and just didn't react to Donagahey coming on. They were robbed by the ref in the replay of course but what I'm saying is that from a certain angle Mayo have got the breaks they needed but couldn't do their part of the job. You won't get handed anything worth winning at some point you must grasp the nettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I like the line up for sunday...do think caff Vaughan and tom c need to rotate. Don't think tom has the legs for no. 6. Corner suits him better. Hard to see the back 6 getting to much of a testing this weekend. Bigger challenges lie ahead.
    Five things I want to see from Sunday..
    1. 5 in a row completed
    2. Sligo held to a very low score..backs on top all day
    3. Possession being retained tightly by mayo....
    4. A fixed role for AOS. He is either a K. Donaghy style FF (break the ball to the smaller man) or he is a third midfielder....Bit of each does not work in my opinion.
    5. Spread of scores from players 10-15. Cant be relying on COC to keep our score board alight. Each of the forwards would want to be chipping in with 2/3 from play.
    Don't ask for much do I :-)

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I think Mayo got the chance you speak of in 2011 when they faced Donegal who were in only their 2nd All Ireland and their 1st in 20 years. In 2012 they faced a Dublin side who were hyped and fancied but who underperformed to the same degree they underperformed against Donegal in the semi last year but Mayo did not have the killer to do the job. They were cruising with 5 minutes to go last year in the first game with Kerry and just didn't react to Donagahey coming on. They were robbed by the ref in the replay of course but what I'm saying is that from a certain angle Mayo have got the breaks they needed but couldn't do their part of the job. You won't get handed anything worth winning at some point you must grasp the nettle.

Firstly your years are off, Mayo played Donegal in 2012 and Dublin in 2013.

Certainly Mayo have not performed from the field or the line on the most recent AI final days.
    They have never performed above and beyond, as the Clare hurlers did in their replay in 2013 for example.
    But to suggest Donegal were not a juggernaut in 2012 is daft, they were a monster all year.
    As for Dublin in 2013, they were a team that had won an AI in 2011, had the usual down year in 2012, and were firm favourites for 2013.

When I talk about getting a lucky break in a final opponent I am talking about a Down 2010, Mayo 2004, Kildare 1998.

Teams that were possibly ranked below the top 4, not the top 2 type teams that Mayo have meet recently.

• Advertisement

Ascii wrote: »
    I like the line up for sunday...do think caff Vaughan and tom c need to rotate. Don't think tom has the legs for no. 6. Corner suits him better. Hard to see the back 6 getting to much of a testing this weekend. Bigger challenges lie ahead.
    Five things I want to see from Sunday..
    1. 5 in a row completed
    2. Sligo held to a very low score..backs on top all day
    3. Possession being retained tightly by mayo....
    4. A fixed role for AOS. He is either a K. Donaghy style FF (break the ball to the smaller man) or he is a third midfielder....Bit of each does not work in my opinion.
    5. Spread of scores from players 10-15. Cant be relying on COC to keep our score board alight. Each of the forwards would want to be chipping in with 2/3 from play.
    Don't ask for much do I :-)

This idiotic list of criteria appears every time mayo play a team deemed inferior to them. How many times do we hear #if they don't win by at least 15 points they have no business.......#etc. The only thing that matters Sunday, the only thing that ever matters, the only thing that should be expected is that they win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mayo will win Sunday but will not win an All Ireland. I dont rate the management team and think they will be caught out against Donegal/Kerry/Dublin etc.

This idiotic list of criteria appears every time mayo play a team deemed inferior to them. How many times do we hear #if they don't win by at least 15 points they have no business.......#etc. The only thing that matters Sunday, the only thing that ever matters, the only thing that should be expected is that they win.

I don't think the poster is suggesting too much

I too would like to see Mayo keep it tight at the back, keep a clean sheet perhaps against some decent forwards, see the forwards score from play, reduce the turnovers, play well in the middle etc.

Any win will do, and if they scrape a 1 pt win it will be something to think and worry about between Sunday and 08/08.

No one is mentioning about anything about winning by 15 points ....refer to number one on the list again.

Idiotic is reading a post and assuming something completely different. I never set out a list of criteria...I set out five things I would like to see Mayo be successful at on the day. They could still be successful at points 2-5 and still loose the game.
    No one is looking beyond Sligo...but realistically if we have ambitions at being one of the top four or top two in the country we need to have a successful tried and tested plan in place. These are the games to be implementing them at, not trying them for the first time in a QF or SF.
    I am perfectly entitled to hope that the team are tenacious and ruthless at defending on the day, that they try and spread the scoring more efficiently in the forwards and that each player has a clear idea of their role. This is where we seem to have come unstuck on previous days out.

Ascii wrote: »
    No one is mentioning about anything about winning by 15 points ....refer to number one on the list again.

Idiotic is reading a post and assuming something completely different. I never set out a list of criteria...I set out five things I would like to see Mayo be successful at on the day. They could still be successful at points 2-5 and still loose the game.
    No one is looking beyond Sligo...but realistically if we have ambitions at being one of the top four or top two in the country we need to have a successful tried and tested plan in place. These are the games to be implementing them at, not trying them for the first time in a QF or SF.
    I am perfectly entitled to hope that the team are tenacious and ruthless at defending on the day, that they try and spread the scoring more efficiently in the forwards and that each player has a clear idea of their role. This is where we seem to have come unstuck on previous days out.

Idiotic was a harsh choice of words on my part . Not completely in response to you but a reaction to some of the stuff I hear on a daily basis, your post just reminded me of it. My point is that with a trophy at stake a win is really the only important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Idiotic was a harsh choice of words on my part . Not completely in response to you but a reaction to some of the stuff I hear on a daily basis, your post just reminded me of it. My point is that with a trophy at stake a win is really the only important thing.
    I think you might have been referring back to that article from a few years stating Mayo had to hammer Roscommon or had no business in the All Ireland series. That same theory would apply on Sunday against mid table division 3 Sligo but in reality that is nonsense and the margin of the win for Mayo Sunday won't matter much as proved in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm overly over excited at this stage. The game has to be won yet.

Can't comprehend the lack of excitement,can't wait myself.There is nothing better than getting out on the road to supporting the Green and Red.Nothing is won or can be taken for granted.

A Connaught title is nothing to sniff at,five in row only done once previously.Le cunamh De we shall have further exciting times ahead of us this summer in Croker come Sunday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Fr. Tod just killed my buzz anyway with that post! Cheers bud :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kalyke wrote: »

Christ, you're right!:eek::eek:

Having said that, I'm still not as energised as other years, whether it's the venue or the opponents....I just can't put my finger on it.

I just hope the team doesn't feel anything as complacent as what I do right now:o

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't comprehend the lack of excitement,can't wait myself.There is nothing better than getting out on the road to supporting the Green and Red.Nothing is won or can be taken for granted.

A Connaught title is nothing to sniff at,five in row only done once previously.Le cunamh De we shall have further exciting times ahead of us this summer in Croker come Sunday evening!

A Connacht Title is indeed nothing to be sniffed at and Sligo have be respected.

The question is, are you as hyped for this one as you were for Galway in Salthill :)

Maybe it's just the weather or the fact we are getting spoilt with Connacht titles. Long may it continue :pac:

ColeTrain wrote: »
    A Connacht Title is indeed nothing to be sniffed at and Sligo have be respected.

The question is, are you as hyped for this one as you were for Galway in Salthill :)

Maybe it's just the weather or the fact we are getting spoilt with Connacht titles. Long may it continue :pac:

The weather certainly could put a bit of a dampener on proceedings,pardon the pun!:pac:

Certainly too there is nothing that quite gets our juices going as a meeting with the Tribesmen.

Having said all that,all we have to do is remember that we're likely to have a barren spell quite likely at some stage in the near future as these periods of success invariably go in cycles.So it is very important to relish all the good days,Keith Higgins won't be feeling underwhelmed if as the Mayo captain he has the very proud honour of lifting the Nestor Cup on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Christ, you're right!:eek::eek:

Having said that, I'm still not as energised as other years, whether it's the venue or the opponents....I just can't put my finger on it.

I just hope the team doesn't feel anything as complacent as what I do right now:o

I'm suffering the same! The way that the Venue and treatment of season ticket holders didn't help either :mad:

Think I would be feeling the buzz a lot more if it was in Castlebar. Was dying to bring my old man and my little man...castlebar is a great venue for the not so supple supporters. But since its Hyde and probably be lashing I will be minus two generations.
    None the less, I must say I got into an upbeat mood listening to the sports talkshow on MWR last night from Rockys...

The game from Killarney tomorrow evening will also get me in the mood. Hoping for a cracker down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement