Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Anyone know if Mikey Sweeny is on the subs? My young fellow adores him and keeps asking me. Cillian was at the cul camp during the week and signed his jersey and what does he ask cillian? Could cillian say hello to Mikey Sweeny for him! :-)

Weather will be touch and go. Forecast at the moment has rain to push in from the Atlantic late Sunday evening, according to met e. Mustn't forget to put the toilet paper into a plastic bag to keep it dry ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Very good interview. Really heartening to read that it is an enjoyable setup too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just listened to the Mayo News podcast a few days back.

It was surprisingly good compared to the Galway game preview, which was just auld fellas complaining that games should be on in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Very good interview. Really heartening to read that it is an enjoyable setup too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Evans on today fm Jesus u would think he's had enough rope at this stage

markel wrote: »
    I presume season tickets for today are just scan at the gate - we dont gave to print anything?

Ya that right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Good luck Mayo. I have to say I never met any Sligo lads that I didnt like. Having said that, I have yet to meet Eamon O Hara...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

naughto wrote: »
    Evans on today fm Jesus u would think he's had enough rope at this stage

Any nuggets of "wisdom"?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Any nuggets of "wisdom"?

All there injurys was to blame against sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Backed Keegan for 1st goal at 33/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Think paddy power will be safe with that .

Place getting jammed already. There's some parking left off the golf Road just before entrance to Hyde coming from roundabout.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to get the 5 in a row. Thought we were very hungry, powerful and professional. Gave Sligo no room to breath. AOS and COC with 2 of the most complete performances I have seen in a Mayo jersey.
    The defence scares the bejasus out of though. Unless it tightens up we're going to get opened up big time.
    Still the QF to look forward to, Whelan said Donegal or Galway, but it can't be Galway though, so not sure who it can be will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

yop wrote: »
    Great to get the 5 in a row. Thought we were very hungry, powerful and professional. Gave Sligo no room to breath. AOS and COC with 2 of the most complete performances I have seen in a Mayo jersey.
    The defence scares the bejasus out of though. Unless it tightens up we're going to get opened up big time.
    Still the QF to look forward to, Whelan said Donegal or Galway, but it can't be Galway
    Why not? They're scheduled to meet the winner of that game according to the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why not? They're scheduled to meet the winner of that game according to the draw.

Because we played them in the last match, I thought that you couldn't meet some you played already in the QF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

yop wrote: »
    Because we played them in the last match, I thought that you couldn't meet some you played already in the QF

My understanding is that counties who met previously only can meet AFTER the quarter-final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Firstly your years are off, Mayo played Donegal in 2012 and Dublin in 2013.

Certainly Mayo have not performed from the field or the line on the most recent AI final days.
    They have never performed above and beyond, as the Clare hurlers did in their replay in 2013 for example.
    But to suggest Donegal were not a juggernaut in 2012 is daft, they were a monster all year.
    As for Dublin in 2013, they were a team that had won an AI in 2011, had the usual down year in 2012, and were firm favourites for 2013.

When I talk about getting a lucky break in a final opponent I am talking about a Down 2010, Mayo 2004, Kildare 1998.

Teams that were possibly ranked below the top 4, not the top 2 type teams that Mayo have meet recently.

The aspiration for Mayo should be to become the juggernaut team rather than to avoid juggernauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If Galway beat Donegal we play the winners of Tyrone v Sligo.It's Donegal if they come through. Totally agree with your sentiments Yop,the lads put down a marker today.Splendid performances all round.Aidan O Shea gave as complete a performance as I've ever seen in a Mayo jersey.Cillian O Connor was exquisite alongside his brother Diarmuid.The forwards in general were excellent.All comers to the midfield put in a great day's work.. Most notably Tom Parsons, who knows how good Seamus O Shea would have been before he went off with a hopefully minor groin injury!?

I liked the fact that Lee Keegan and Colm Boyle are placing a greater emphasis on their defensive duties.Donal Vaughan seems to saunter forward like he's playing for the Harlem Globetrotters,I suppose it was one of those days where everybody wanted to get on the score sheet.

The full back line is extremely worrying most especially under the high ball.It will be ruthlessly targeted.Couldn't understand why Ger Cafferkey was positioned at corner back?Tom Cunniffe struggled at full back.Even the usually imperious Keith Higgins had some hairy moments.Outside the high score conceded, David Clarke was called into action on a few occasions.Both goals were quite soft even considering Sligo have a very decent inside line.

I am sure other teams will put in place a more effective plan to counter the Aidan O Shea threat.

One has to have a quiet confidence that irrespective of our quarter final opponents on the second Saturday in August we can come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Nothing can be said that hasn't already been said about this bunch. Greatest squad of players the county has ever had. AOS on course to be greatest the county/country ever produced.

Defence is a concern alright and is lacking in leadership/steady head at 3. The lads in the full back are all good players but they are just too gung ho at times in the tackle and need to step back at times so as to maintain the defensive line. Whether Keane is the answer is still debatable but he is the best option at 3. Some have said bring Seamie O'Shea back as a sweeper, which could possibly work too as options are abundant in the middle

• Advertisement

I believe the Galway Donegal game has been fixed for Castlebar on the Bank Holiday weekend?Definitely going to head up and do a bit of research for our joint management on potential future opponents!:pac:

Should be a very decent clash,they last played in Castlebar in 2001?The year Galway won the All Ireland through the back door.It was a very enjoyable evening,welcome financial bonanza for Castlebar.

Nice touch today honouring the 3 in a row Galway team of the 60s.As usual the public speaker system was terrible and the announcer was impossible to understand.

Much prefer Amhran na Bhfiann played by the band and sung by the spectators however lovely the chosen singers are.The slow pace of singing by same to emphasise the quality of said voice taking away a huge amount from the anthem's singing.

Nothing can be said that hasn't already been said about this bunch. Greatest squad of players the county has ever had. AOS on course to be greatest the county/country ever produced.

Defence is a concern alright and is lacking in leadership/steady head at 3. The lads in the full back are all good players but they are just too gung ho at times in the tackle and need to step back at times so as to maintain the defensive line. Whether Keane is the answer is still debatable but he is the best option at 3. Some have said bring Seamie O'Shea back as a sweeper, which could possibly work too as options are abundant in the middle

I know you mean of the modern era/post the 48-51 years.;-)

BTW I one hundred percent agree,they're a great credit to the county.Hopefully they'll earn the All Ireland medal that on so many levels they richly deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

AOS on course to be greatest the county/country ever produced.

Kerry/Dublin folk will relish reading this nonsense.!
    But this attitude is exactly the reason why Mayo have failed to win Sam for decades. He has been virtually woeful in each final he has played so far and subbed on each occasion.
    Same as Limerick hurling putting players on pedestals after good displays against mediocre sides.
    Like most neutrals I would like nothing better than witness Mayo win Sam but the 'big' sides will have a plan in place to nullify AOS.
    Just look how they coped with Hurley and O'Neill last night, 2 forwards that are hailed as superstars in Cork. Hurley would beat many lesser sides on his own, yet was completely anonymous.
    Again, hope I'm proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

washman3 wrote: »
    Kerry/Dublin folk will relish reading this nonsense.!
    But this attitude is exactly the reason why Mayo have failed to win Sam for decades. He has been virtually woeful in each final he has played so far and subbed on each occasion.
    Same as Limerick hurling putting players on pedestals after good displays against mediocre sides.
    Like most neutrals I would like nothing better than witness Mayo win Sam but the 'big' sides will have a plan in place to nullify AOS.
    Just look how they coped with Hurley and O'Neill last night, 2 forwards that are hailed as superstars in Cork. Hurley would beat many lesser sides on his own, yet was completely anonymous.
    Again, hope I'm proved wrong.
    Why exactly will they be relishing the fact that a guy on an internet forum thought that AoS is well on his way to being one of the greatest Mayo players ever?

Any why do you think the opinion of some guy on an internet forum is why Mayo haven't won an all-ireland in the 60+ years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Agreed some servants to the cause. Nothing annoys me more than hearing them referred to as bottlers by know nothing armchair moistners. This bunch has shown some bottle to keep coming back year after year and consistently performing at the very top level. They have weak areas but bottlers they most definitely are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

seligehgit wrote: »
    I believe the Galway Donegal game has been fixed for Castlebar on the Bank Holiday weekend?Definitely going to head up and do a bit of research for our joint management on potential future opponents!:pac:

Where dya hear this? Seen something about Markevic at 7 on the Sat, which would be a nightmare. Castlebar Sunday afternoon would be perfect, quick hop back to Galway then to finish out the festivities

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where dya hear this? Seen something about Markevic at 7 on the Sat, which would be a nightmare. Castlebar Sunday afternoon would be perfect, quick hop back to Galway then to finish out the festivities

If I recall correctly I was listening to either Sunday Sport or that dreadful Marty Squad driving home from the game... Open to correction:D

It would make sense,most central venue roughly equidistant from both counties.A very easy venue to get in and out of with ample capacity.

kippy wrote: »
    Why exactly will they be relishing the fact that a guy on an internet forum thought that AoS is well on his way to being one of the greatest Mayo players ever?

Any why do you think the opinion of some guy on an internet forum is why Mayo haven't won an all-ireland in the 60+ years?

To answer both your questions :
    (1) the guy stated that AOS is well on his way to being his county/country greatest. Gooch,Donoghue,Brogan,Connolly or indeed Donaghy would've scored half a dozen goals today.

(2) its the attitude rather than the opinion of the internet poster that reflects why Mayo have fall at the final hurdle. its an attitude shared by many posters and many within the county that ultimately woks its way into the mindset of the squad.

I've seen it many times over the years in Limerick hurling, players compared to Mick Mackey after a display in a league game or a championship game against mediocre opposition only to fall flat on their arses against Tipp, Kilkenny or Cork in big games.
    There is one particular Limerick journalist (also an RTE commentator) who for years has warned fans against placing young players on pedestals, yet is lampooned for doing so by the majority in Limerick.
    A true case of shooting the messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

Well done today Mayo. Please go on now and finish off the job and win the AI, not just for Mayo, do it for Ireland!

(1) the guy stated that AOS is well on his way to being his county/country greatest. Gooch,Donoghue,Brogan,Connolly or indeed Donaghy would've scored half a dozen goals today.

(2) its the attitude rather than the opinion of the internet poster that reflects why Mayo have fall at the final hurdle. its an attitude shared by many posters and many within the county that ultimately woks its way into the mindset of the squad.

I've seen it many times over the years in Limerick hurling, players compared to Mick Mackey after a display in a league game or a championship game against mediocre opposition only to fall flat on their arses against Tipp, Kilkenny or Cork in big games.
    There is one particular Limerick journalist (also an RTE commentator) who for years has warned fans against placing young players on pedestals, yet is lampooned for doing so by the majority in Limerick.

TBF there may some truth in what you say but the greater reality is that Mayo have simply been beaten by a better team on the day with some element of underperformance.

I certainly do not believe the current group of players buy into the hype that may or may not exist amongst a small section of the fans.Most fans are well aware of the realities/abilities of the team and take into account the level of opposition.

Mayo players are not treated as some kind of demi Gods but well appreciated by their supporters for the splendid efforts they make in their quest for Sam and their ability to continue to rise from the ashes of some heartbreaking defeats and go again.

I'd assess Aidan O Shea's performance with the quality of opposition in mind but wouldn't be taking marks of him because he only scored 3 goals as opposed that the half dozen or so JOD or the Gooch would allegedly plunder.He played exceptionally well and you can't blame him for the standard of the opposition.

• Advertisement

I'd assess Aidan O Shea's performance with the quality of opposition in mind but wouldn't be taking marks of him because he only scored 3 goals as opposed that the half dozen or so JOD or the Gooch would allegedly plunder.He played exceptionally well and you can't blame him for the standard of the opposition.

It was a brilliant performance, nobody denying that.
    My point is that other top forwards would've matched that score today due to the poor quality of the opposition.
    The difference is Gooch, JOD, Connolly, Murphy etc will do it on big days against big teams. AOS up to now has not. simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We lose AI finals and semi-finals because we meet teams who are ultimately better than us on the day, or because of poor decision making on the sideline. You talk to any Mayo supporter and they will all admit this.
    Their losses have nothing to do with nonsense of a hyped mindset of some of the supporters feeding into the the team and shaping their collective attitudes.

They have performed consistently at a very high level over several years and they do deserve credit for the work and dedication they put in to achieve this.

I agree that until he does it on All Ireland final day you've got a valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Much prefer Amhran na Bhfiann played by the band and sung by the spectators however lovely the chosen singers are.The slow pace of singing by same to emphasise the quality of said voice taking away a huge amount from the anthem's singing.

I think the anthem was sung beautifully at Hyde park. No one dictates the pace. Changing it around saves it from becoming meaningless, like in the older days when the band rolled it out after every concert/disco and RTE played it at closedown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A great win from Mayo today and its Great to win five Connacht titles in a row.

but….

They give up way too many chances and the back line always looks vulnerable from basically everything:eek:

No Team can compete against other quality teams when giving up the amount of chances this full back line is giving.
    Are they not getting enough protection ? Are they not good enough ? Is Tom Cunniffe secure enough for a full back line ?

I think we need two big men with Keith Higgins playing well (not at his best today).

Maybe Keane, Cafferky, Higgins and some protection in front when necessary.

Vaughan, Seamas O'Shea perhaps.

We just cannot keep giving this many chances to better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My point is that other top forwards would've matched that score today due to the poor quality of the opposition.
    The difference is Gooch, JOD, Connolly, Murphy etc will do it on big days against big teams. AOS up to now has not. simple as.

AOS was brilliant against Kerry last year.
    Brilliant against Donegal the year before.
    And brilliant in countless other games over the last few years.

Just like Gooch, JOD, Connolly, Murphy etc, he too sometimes has his off days but to say he doesn't do it against the big teams is bs!

Ascii wrote: »
    I like the line up for sunday...do think caff Vaughan and tom c need to rotate. Don't think tom has the legs for no. 6. Corner suits him better. Hard to see the back 6 getting to much of a testing this weekend. Bigger challenges lie ahead.
    Five things I want to see from Sunday..
    1. 5 in a row completed
    2. Sligo held to a very low score..backs on top all day
    3. Possession being retained tightly by mayo....
    4. A fixed role for AOS. He is either a K. Donaghy style FF (break the ball to the smaller man) or he is a third midfielder....Bit of each does not work in my opinion.
    5. Spread of scores from players 10-15. Cant be relying on COC to keep our score board alight. Each of the forwards would want to be chipping in with 2/3 from play.
    Don't ask for much do I :-)

1.Done
    2.Needs more work but more about that later.
    3.Done
    4.Done
    5.Done 12 scorers from 21 players.

The players you mention above.....show me an intercounty match where any of them have scored 6 goals? And that's not really the point tbh. The poster said he was heading to be one of mayos greatest, none of the players you mention could ever be in that category for obvious reasons.
    The attitude has nothing to do with why Mayo haven't won an All Ireland. The attitude displayed above is simply pointing out the performance no matter the opposition being amongst the best seen.
    The past few all Ireland's in my opinion could have been turned on the hop of a ball, a stroke of luck or any one of 10 other variables but the attitude ain't one of them.

blinding wrote: »
    A great win from Mayo today and its Great to win five Connacht titles in a row.

but….

They give up way too many chances and the back line always looks vulnerable from basically everything:eek:

No Team can compete against other quality teams when giving up the amount of chances this full back line is giving.
    Are they not getting enough protection ? Are they not good enough ? Is Tom Cunniffe secure enough for a full back line ?

I think we need two big men with Keith Higgins playing well (not at his best today).

Maybe Keane, Cafferky, Higgins and some protection in front when necessary.

Vaughan, Seamas O'Shea perhaps.

We just cannot keep giving this many chances to better teams.
    Agree with this. 2 11 is a lot to concede and while I know this was a tough game to approach mentally coughing up goals hasn't gone away. Cunniffe was at fault for one I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If he's going to score half a dozen goals against opposition similar to Sligo, Gooch would want to get on the ball a lot more than the THREE times he did in the second half against Cork in the drawn match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Dublin and Kerry face plenty of teams of a similar or poorer standard than Mayo faced today in their own provinces on a regular basis so, like other posters here, I want to see you back up answer 1) with evidence of where the players you mention have demonstrated the scoring ability you claim.

In relation to 2) all I can say is you obviously know little or nothing about the current Mayo panel.

To answer both your questions :....,,

(2) its the attitude rather than the opinion of the internet poster that reflects why Mayo have fall at the final hurdle. its an attitude shared by many posters and many within the county that ultimately woks its way into the mindset of the squad......

This is typical of the rubbish that people from outside Mayo use to try and explain some sort of neurological complex that has prevented Mayo teams from winning and All Ireland.

If we as Mayo people express confidence in the team we are accused of being a hype merchants and that hype will inevitably infect the squad and ruin them.

On the other hand if we Mayo people express concern or try to identify areas that need improvement in a performance we are accused of negativity and that will inevitably infect the squad and ruin them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Mayo have a great team, serious competitive footballers who have grown up with passion for the game. They are a joy to watch most of the time. Most supporters in the country would be happy with that. Success will come just as it did with the minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This is typical of the rubbish that people from outside Mayo use to try and explain some sort of neurological complex that has prevented Mayo teams from winning and All Ireland.

If we as Mayo people express confidence in the team we are accused of being a hype merchants and that hype will inevitably infect the squad and ruin them.

On the other hand if we Mayo people express concern or try to identify areas that need improvement in a performance we are accused of negativity and that will inevitably infect the squad and ruin them.

You really can't win on this front. No what attitude we have, it's apparently to blame for every problem with Mayo football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Happy with the victory over all....five in a row is a great achievement.
    Worried about the defence. Caff and Tom C were caught ball watching on a few occasions and often left their man goal side of them all to easily. Fair dues to Clarke for helping keep the scoreline in shape. Don't think Tom C has the pace needed. IMO Barrett/Keane/Zippy are our best back three...albeit they have not had a competitive outing together.

Feel the time is up for McLoughin. He has not found the form of 2012/2013 and has been below par since. In a game where barrett, leeroy and donie all scored in what was a pure shootout its disappointing that our half forward did not register a white flag. Think its time to put Doherty out with Diarmuid as the wing forwards. This would free up the corner for Ronaldson or freezer who would thrive well off AOS breaking ball and take some of the pressure off COC.

I would question them bringing on dillion for moran when the game was won. Dillion had 7 medals his pocket and it would have been better to give the experience and shooting time to Sweeney or Gallagher or some of the younger fringe players.

Thoughts anyone ??

• Advertisement

Worried about the defence. Caff and Tom C were caught ball watching on a few occasions and often left their man goal side of them all to easily. Fair dues to Clarke for helping keep the scoreline in shape. Don't think Tom C has the pace needed. IMO Barrett/Keane/Zippy are our best back three...albeit they have not had a competitive outing together.

Feel the time is up for McLoughin. He has not found the form of 2012/2013 and has been below par since. In a game where barrett, leeroy and donie all scored in what was a pure shootout its disappointing that our half forward did not register a white flag. Think its time to put Doherty out with Diarmuid as the wing forwards. This would free up the corner for Ronaldson or freezer who would thrive well off AOS breaking ball and take some of the pressure off COC.

I would question them bringing on dillion for moran when the game was won. Dillion had 7 medals his pocket and it would have been better to give the experience and shooting time to Sweeney or Gallagher or some of the younger fringe players.

Thoughts anyone ??

Agree regards mcloughin should not be on the starting 15.I also think Andy would be a better sub than for him starting as he does not have the legs for it and slows up the play to much.it was a great win but and its a big but or back line are going to cost us.Vaughan needs to stay back I no he scored 3points yesterday but was very lazy getting back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

naughto wrote: »
    Agree regards mcloughin should not be on the starting 15.I also think Andy would be a better sub than for him starting as he does not have the legs for it and slows up the play to much.it was a great win but and its a big but or back line are going to cost us.Vaughan needs to stay back I no he scored 3points yesterday but was very lazy getting back.
    I agree about Andy's Lack of legs :). Better now as an experienced sub if thats what is needed.
    McLoughlin is well off form for a while now. Has Vaughan got that discipline that is needed for defensive cover. I don't think Cunniffe is secure enough for a full back line.

Best of Keane, Cafferky, Higgins, Barret for me in the full back line. Higgins was not at his best yesterday but I suppose that Full Forward line is Sligo's best line.

Thoughts anyone ??

Definitely agree that unfortunately Kevin McLoughlin's form does not justify a place in the first 15.Hoping he can turn this major slump in form around.

Alan Freeman could greatly benefit from Aidan O Shea's breaking ball if Jason Doherty was brought out to the half forward line.

Certainly it was a fit of mawkish sentimentality bringing Alan Dillon on for another medal,he did quite well.But there would have been a greater benefit giving one of the experienced members of the squad a run out.

Do not believe it is in Donal Vaughan's DNA to call a halt to his offensive forays but his lack of mobility hampers his ability to get back quickly even when he has the inclination to do same.

I'd have a full back line of Cunniffe,Keane and Zippy.Ger Cafferkey is struggling too greatly to start I believe and Kevin Keane may in spite of his obvious lack of mobility be best able to deal with the aerial and physical threat of a Kieran Donaghy like full forward.

The best question is what type of a defensive set up to put in place or who to play as a sweeper if we encounter an aerial bombardment or lest we be foolish enough to go toe to toe with a Dublin like team?Previous attempts at a sweeper system have not garnered great rewards.

I believe the current management have no such plans in place and their underlying philosophy is we'll score more than you irrespective of what we concede.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

This is not true that AOS has buckled against the better teams, last year Kerry kicked him into the ground and had 2/3 men on him constantly and he still played wee, remember his perforfance against Donegal in 2013

Dublin and Kerry face plenty of teams of a similar or poorer standard than Mayo faced today in their own provinces on a regular basis so, like other posters here, I want to see you back up answer 1) with evidence of where the players you mention have demonstrated the scoring ability you claim.

In relation to 2) all I can say is you obviously know little or nothing about the current Mayo panel.

Dublin hammered Longford a few weeks ago. They could have won that game by another 12-15 points if the really wanted to. Against Westmeath they just bided their time, then in the space of 3 minutes scored 2-3. But Westmeath must be commended because at least they came with a plan, ie to stay as close as possible to Dublin until half time. They deployed not 1 but 2 sweepers in front of goal. Unlike Sligo, who appeared to have no plan, just go out and go toe to toe with a superior physical side. Madness.
    I watched Kerry play Tipp some weeks back, a side that really fancied their chances against the Kingdom. Can safely say that Kerry never had to come out of second gear, yet just brushed Tipp aside scoring points at will when on several occasions they could've carried ball and scored goals.
    I watched both teams leaving the pitch, Tipp were shattered, Kerry had hardly broken a sweat. My point is that Gooch and co. know all that's needed at this stage is to get the job done. Their real focus is August/September.

The very fact that so many posters thanked your post again demonstrates the groupthink that exists in the county, which will in time, work its way through to the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement