Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

mrfg wrote: »
    This is not true that AOS has buckled against the better teams, last year Kerry kicked him into the ground and had 2/3 men on him constantly and he still played wee, remember his perforfance against Donegal in 2013

Then its a poor reflection on him that a player of his physique allowed that to happen. I attended the replay in Limerick and he was laid flat on his arse by young Paul Murphy, arguably the smallest player to ever play in a Kerry defence.
    Contrast that to the display Donaghy gave in the Gaelic Grounds. Caused pandemonium every time a ball was played his way even though Mayo knew exactly what was coming after the drawn game. And he still was able to deflect a possible Mayo point away from danger in injury time on his own goal-line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Has anyone's season ticket attendances updated on the website, both tickets on my account are still saying did not attend even though they were both used (and scanned) yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

washman3 wrote: »
    Then its a poor reflection on him that a player of his physique allowed that to happen. I attended the replay in Limerick and he was laid flat on his arse by young Paul Murphy, arguably the smallest player to ever play in a Kerry defence.
    Contrast that to the display Donaghy gave in the Gaelic Grounds. Caused pandemonium every time a ball was played his way even though Mayo knew exactly what was coming after the drawn game. And he still was able to deflect a possible Mayo point away from danger in injury time on his own goal-line.

Well isn't he a great lad altogether for his county. Again O Shea has put in some great performances for Mayo over the years and is heading towards being one of the best players ever for Mayo.
    I note despite a poor attempt at deflecting attention you've yet to give an example of any of those forwards scoring six goals in a single game for their county.
    The attitude of fans is not why Mayo haven won an all Ireland.

kippy wrote: »
    I note despite a poor attempt at deflecting attention you've yet to give an example of any of those forwards scoring six goals in a single game for their county.
    The attitude of fans is not why Mayo haven won an all Ireland.

Read my original post again bud. Its post #9230.
    That where I state that Gooch, JOD and co. would have scored 6 goals against Sligo such was the ineptness of the defence. Then read my subsequent posts where I state that these guys focus is more on August/September and winning Sam and see that when a game is won at this time of year they just pop over the points rather than driving for more goals. Nowhere did I claim that I've ever witnessed any of these guys scoring 6 goals in a single game, which I assume you know, but it doesn't suit you petty agenda.
    Read the posts.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That where I state that Gooch, JOD and co. would have scored 6 goals against Sligo such was the ineptness of the defence. Then read my subsequent posts where I state that these guys focus is more on August/September and winning Sam and see that when a game is won at this time of year they just pop over the points rather than driving for more goals. Nowhere did I claim that I've ever witnessed any of these guys scoring 6 goals in a single game, which I assume you know, but it doesn't suit you petty agenda.
    Read the posts.!!
    I read the posts. They've never scored six in any game so suggesting they would against Sligo is nonsense. And as for August and September, you'll hardly find any county more focused on august and September over the past few years than Mayo. As I've said a hope of a ball, a bit of luck, a poor decision and one of any other number of variables is why they haven't crossed the line. Not the attitude of some supporters.
    I'd like to know what my petty agenda is. Would you care to point it out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't feed, we know the calibre of posts from the past and again proves it, so just ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Read the posts.!!

That's complete bollox. Any decent forward worth his salt will go for a goal if it is on. What difference does it make anyway. It's about wining games and Mayo did what they had to do. You cannot blame them for scoring all they did.
    Mayo's focus has always been to get to August/September as well. They have been there the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 glanlea

does any body think that mayo have left the cat out of the bag by playing AOS at full forward for two games they were going to win regardless. Should they not have kept him out the field and have him as a secret weapon for the dubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

glanlea wrote: »
    does any body think that mayo have left the cat out of the bag by playing AOS at full forward for two games they were going to win regardless. Should they not have kept him out the field and have him as a secret weapon for the dubs?

Possibly, but he also needed game time in the championship there as he is still learning the position. I don't think they could have expected it to possibly go as well as it did against Sligo. Regardless of whether it's Donegal or Tyrone next he was never going to get anything like the same space regardless, they'll both have three men on him by the time he lands with the ball so the focus now needs to be on having runners off him constantly so that he can distribute it as soon as he gets it, otherwise he'll just drive into traffic and cough up possession. Even then, we'll need more variety than just that tactic to progress further, the long ball to AOS alone won't be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Unless they have no intention of putting him FF in the latter stages?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It's all well and good knowing it's coming, it's another thing being able to deal with him. He won't get the same freedom against Eamon McGee or Rory Carroll, but on form (and he's in the form of his life) he is damn near unmarkable. He is the kind of player who causes opposition managers and full backs to spend long hours staring at the bedroom ceiling. While everyone is focusing on Aiden O'Shea, Cillian and Diarmuid (who is now favourite for young player of the year) are roaming around causing havoc.
    I also think that management have not shown their hand defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Rawhead wrote: »
    I also think that management have not shown their hand defensively.

Been thinking this myself. We know we are the best team in Connaught and without being arrogant about it knew we could go out and beat Sligo on our terms playing the way we usually do. With O'Shea and Cillian as focal points up top we actually have the perfect team to play a counter-attacking game against the Dubs down the line. (provided we progress of course)

People say the team hasn't really changed since the 2 boys came in. I disagree. Obviously O'Shea at full-forward is the biggest difference. Parsons excelling and young O'Connor is a year older and has progressed. We now also have a better goalie in Clarke. Our bench looks strong, lads coming in contributing. McLoughlin is crying out to be played as a sweeper along with somebody else. People keep on about our shaky full-back line but if we put 2 bodies in front of them against any of the big three our last line of defence will be perfectly fine!

I just hope our management team are thinking a step ahead on this because come the end of the season if we fall short after going man-to-man they will have to go. End of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Connelly and Holmes have an unreal amount of options at the moment. Take the forwards, you have Conroy ( who is meant to be in great form at the minute ), Regan, Dillion, Ronaldson, Freeman.

Midfield can call on Barry Moran and Gibbons ( not sure if he's fit )

The backs then have Keane, Barrett and Durcan - who didn't start the last day.

A vs B games must be serious at the minute. It all bodes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Midfield can call on Barry Moran and Gibbons ( not sure if he's fit )

As far as I know Gibbons is off the panel. I don't think we will see him this year.

I was thrilled to see the performance Mayo gave on Sunday. When you think about all that has happened in the years since the Longford disaster, we may have since been dominating Connacht but in the meantime we have nearly lost to London, squeezed past Roscommon and Sligo in subsequent finals and had to dig deep to overcome a resurgent Roscommon last year. Yet the players have kept plugging away and are showing clear improvement year on year, culminating in the biggest ever tally posted in a Connacht Final. Whatever happens this year they are a credit to themselves and the county. 'Psychological Damage' my arse. Hon Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Without him at 14 they may not have even beaten Galway when you look back at that game. To be honest I could not believe how Sligo set up against him. Basically left a young lad isolated on him.

That said from now on you would expect him to come in for a lot of extra pre-match attention from the better sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

What a fantastic performance. What stood out for me was the ball handling esp the sticky fingers :D with the high balls. lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Has anyone's season ticket attendances updated on the website, both tickets on my account are still saying did not attend even though they were both used (and scanned) yesterday?

Checked mine there it has being updated

As far as I know Gibbons is off the panel. I don't think we will see him this year.

I was thrilled to see the performance Mayo gave on Sunday. When you think about all that has happened in the years since the Longford disaster, we may have since been dominating Connacht but in the meantime we have nearly lost to London, squeezed past Roscommon and Sligo in subsequent finals and had to dig deep to overcome a resurgent Roscommon last year. Yet the players have kept plugging away and are showing clear improvement year on year, culminating in the biggest ever tally posted in a Connacht Final. Whatever happens this year they are a credit to themselves and the county. 'Psychological Damage' my arse. Hon Mayo!

Agree 100%, especially the part bit in bold.

The team have been through the wars down the years and yet they keep delivering performances like Sunday. Granted, it was a Division 1 team vs a Division 3 but they still deserve credit. The problem is when you give praise to Mayo after a good performance, you get shot down, more than likely because people are used to seeing us winning the majority of our games and not surprisingly are scared of any sort of hype.

After Sunday a lot of people were going on about the 2-11 conceded but also failing to realise that the game was over about ten minutes, of course we were going to get a bit complacent at the back. It was the same with our win over Roscommon last year, the amount of drivel spouted after that game was embarrassing! I thought we showed massive character to grind out a win, when you consider the terrible conditions, the blanket defence Roscommon used and the fact we were away from home against a team who were dying to beat us.

All in all, I hope the team enjoyed Sunday and it will definitely give them a good lift. Nobody will look any further than our quarter final, supporters and players alike. I think it's fair to say that no team will want to play us in the quarters. It's not that far away either, it'll be soon time to start planning to iron the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

make sure he check here attendance from Sunday if he have a season ticket
    my friend who drove me to the match has not had his updated.
    he emailed them and was told no issues with scanners so basically tough luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

km79 wrote: »
    make sure he check here attendance from Sunday if he have a season ticket
    my friend who drove me to the match has not had his updated.
    he emailed them and was told no issues with scanners so basically tough luck !
    My sisters wasn't updated and mine was. We went through different gates but entered at the same time. Very frustrating as she should have 100% attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

glack wrote: »
    My sisters wasn't updated and mine was. We went through different gates but entered at the same time. Very frustrating as she should have 100% attendance.

Glack,your sisters should appeal it,sorry for their troubles.Hope they get it sorted out.Fortunately my ticket was updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah I had to remove his name from a post recently. Haven't seen him, even in the league.

I dont know where you guys keep rolling these big midfielders out from.

I thought Gibbons was very good early on last year, but he faded a bit when things got going. What age is he, if he's young he'd be worth getting back in, blood him in. Other teams are envious of your options here, but SOS being injured is a loss. He's a very good player, comes into the harder games when he's needed most.

I thought Spillanes comments about him being a run of the mill player lacked a bit of vision.

Stoner wrote: »
    Yeah I had to remove his name from a post recently. Haven't seen him, even in the league.

I thought Gibbons was very good early on last year, but he faded a bit when things got going. What age is he, if he's young he'd be worth getting back in, blood him in. Other teams are envious of your options here, but SOS being injured is a loss. He's a very good player, comes into the harder games when he's needed most.

I thought Spillanes comments about him being a run of the mill player lacked a bit of vision.

I'm not really sure what the story is with Gibbons, earlier on in the year I read that he was dropped from the panel because of injury, however he has lined out for Ballintubber recently enough and by all accounts was showing well. Could be that he's taking a year out for recovery or for personal reasons. I look forward to seeing him back in the green and red, he was very impressive in last year's league and was unlucky to have been injured for the championship. All that being said we are not short on options in midfield for the moment and with Parsons going well along with Barry and SOS I don't think midfield is a worry for Mayo. Agreed about SOS, he works hard and can be underrated at times while certain siblings of his steal the limelight!

Stoner wrote: »

I believe he's 26,he is a very under rated player.Quite shocked to be frank that he appears to have been dropped off the panel.

He has been quite unlucky with injury.He was excellent in last year's league,got injured.His form forced him back into the team for the first Kerry game but it was'nt to be his day and he was substituted at half time.

Don't think he's featured much subsequent to that,he played no role in the replay.He did turn out in the initial FBD clash this year,don't recall off hand any league appearances.

Any opinions on whether Brendan Harrison is good enough to force his way onto the team in the full back line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Midfield options:
    Barry Moran - worries on speed and tackling.
    Diarmuid OConnor - Good defender and attacker. Kickout strategy needed for the top teams as he's not fully developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wouldn't know enough about him Seligehgit to offer an opinion, sorry.
    I agree that Gibbons had a great league last year very mobile. But he was overwhelmed against Kerry in the first game alright, it was like as if they gave up on him as a result. I don't think he was injured that day, just up against a top partnership.
    I'd stay with him too if he wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Apart from Coen n Durcan has been a closed shop in the backs. Only Durcan came in that has that bravery, bit of size and speed. Coen pulled out of a ball in the league quite clearly, seems to play tidy no Colm Boyle thickness to him. I liked young Darragh Ruane coming up he was on u21s. Strong and quick. Goes into everything with no brake pedal. Harrison hasnt grabbed any game. Bit tentative on the ball. Wouldnt mind Durcan in in the corner. Need his speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Been thinking this myself. We know we are the best team in Connaught and without being arrogant about it knew we could go out and beat Sligo on our terms playing the way we usually do. With O'Shea and Cillian as focal points up top we actually have the perfect team to play a counter-attacking game against the Dubs down the line. (provided we progress of course)

People say the team hasn't really changed since the 2 boys came in. I disagree. Obviously O'Shea at full-forward is the biggest difference. Parsons excelling and young O'Connor is a year older and has progressed. We now also have a better goalie in Clarke. Our bench looks strong, lads coming in contributing. McLoughlin is crying out to be played as a sweeper along with somebody else. People keep on about our shaky full-back line but if we put 2 bodies in front of them against any of the big three our last line of defence will be perfectly fine!

I just hope our management team are thinking a step ahead on this because come the end of the season if we fall short after going man-to-man they will have to go. End of

I have been critical to a point of the way that they have not actually blooded any new players this season but on reflection that is a bit harsh.

The improved performances of D O Connor and the obvious change in the deployment of AOS at 14 are major changes that as we saw of Sunday paid huge dividends.
    And Parsons reappearance has also been a bonus

I was very impressed with Diarmuid and Parsons.

It's really hard to analyze the concession of 2-11 in this game. From what i recall none was a straight forward 'parting of the defence like the red sea' type goal, if that is any consolation.
    But there was almost a sense of who cares what Sligo scored, if they get a goal we will just go up the field and get two.
    I'd expect them to have a good defensive plan for the likes of Dublin if that game happens and before that a good plan to break down a defensive team if they meet Tyrone or Donegal next.

On the point about them showing their hand too soon, I have always thought the idea that a team holds something back at this stage of the championship, in order to confuse a team that they may or may not play later, to be total BS
    As others have said Mayo looked at Sligo, came up with a plan and executed that plan, and that plan yielded a record score as it turns out.
    Too often Mayo are accused of not going for the jugular, well they cannot be accused of that this weekend.
    For every double teamed AOS in the next game there will be a free Cillian or Diarmuid O' Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Positives from Sunday ,
    Forwards doing a hell of a defending job . Hall mark of our 2013 efforts .
    A lot of that game reflected so many of the 2013 teams we wiped out .
    We came to a temporary halt that year with a grinded out win against Tyrone ( I think). The first team that year to pose a significant defensive plan. After 35 minutes of punching up the field they finally broke .
    So from last Sunday and looking forward, I guess what have the improvements done that will help against what is coming up ahead. Possibly in the quarters .
    AOS definitely will forse a defensive plan on the opposition. Freeing up still more defenders to stop any counter attack .
    If our defensive problems can be overhauled then our forwards will be rhe key to unlocking our next game or 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I have been critical to a point of the way that they have not actually blooded any new players this season but on reflection that is a bit harsh.

The improved performances of D O Connor and the obvious change in the deployment of AOS at 14 are major changes that as we saw of Sunday paid huge dividends.
    And Parsons reappearance has also been a bonus

I was very impressed with Diarmuid and Parsons.

It's really hard to analyze the concession of 2-11 in this game. From what i recall none was a straight forward 'parting of the defence like the red sea' type goal, if that is any consolation.
    But there was almost a sense of who cares what Sligo scored, if they get a goal we will just go up the field and get two.
    I'd expect them to have a good defensive plan for the likes of Dublin if that game happens and before that a good plan to break down a defensive team if they meet Tyrone or Donegal next.

On the point about them showing their hand too soon, I have always thought the idea that a team holds something back at this stage of the championship, in order to confuse a team that they may or may not play later, to be total BS
    As others have said Mayo looked at Sligo, came up with a plan and executed that plan, and that plan yielded a record score as it turns out.
    Too often Mayo are accused of not going for the jugular, well they cannot be accused of that this weekend.
    For every double teamed AOS in the next game there will be a free Cillian or Diarmuid O' Connor

You won't have a free Cillian or Diarmuid. You might have a free Andy or Jason, but doesn't have the same threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

You won't have a free Cillian or Diarmuid. You might have a free Andy or Jason, but doesn't have the same threat.

A free Andy or jason can do a lot of damage with the way they are set up running off the players shoulder for the return pass

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Season tickets not updated on those who went here also.

Agree about the blooding of new players, until the stand out performances of DOC and Parsons I would have said it was a failing, but also Harrison/Durcan was a good spot this year. I had hoped that Regan/Varley would have got a run ahead of Alan D, we didn't learn anything from him playing.

I think its a throw up with Harrison and Caff I think at this stage, Caff was played out of position the other day and definitely having Turbo in fullback didn't work.

I don't get this hype BS, from anyone who knows anything about us and football we have learnt a win in May/June/July/Aug hasn't won us anything in Sept. Your always going to have a few orgasmic pigeons squealing after a win like that, but we know better.

yop wrote: »
    Season tickets not updated on those who went here also.
    ring \email the county board
    croke park said they can't do anything as the county board reported no problem s

My sister was told the same - no problems reported so nothing they were willing to do. Going to chase it up further and see how she gets on. If enough people put up a fuss they might do something about it.

ring \email the county board
    croke park said they can't do anything as the county board reported no problem s

Just off the phone. And what was the response..... "We only take care of Cairde Mhaigheo cards, contact Croke Park as they are their tickets".

So maybe its me, but another way to piss off the ST holders and try and get rid of us....

I get that Mayo county board has nothing to do with it - they have no control over them at all. In fact they would much rather we all had Cairde tickets instead as it would mean more money for them.

Keep complaining to Croke Park - they clearly put people on the gate that didn't know what they were doing. We were one of the first into the ground and the stewards hadn't a notion what they were doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I heard a rumor that Parsons has been training in the full back line, could be a good move

I heard a rumor that Parsons has been training in the full back line, could be a good move

he would be a loss in the middle then though
    he Provides a lot of mobility
    that kind of thing should have been tried in the league

He was switched to full-back for the last 10 mins of the Sligo game

Mayo News mentions on a couple of occasions that if Galway beat Donegal,we could be playing them or Tyrone.I thought that was definitely not the case?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo News mentions on a couple of occasions that if Galway beat Donegal,we could be playing them or Tyrone.I thought that was definitely not the case?

We can only play Galway if they overcome Donegal and Sligo beat Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Be great to see three Connacht teams in the Qf. Happened a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I don't think that Sligo are that bad. Their back line needs a bit of tweaking and need a plan in midfield. Their forwards can score And I think they have a good chance if they can keep their composure..

Galway can do it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

kupus wrote: »
    Be great to see three Connacht teams in the Qf. Happened a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I don't think that Sligo are that bad. Their back line needs a bit of tweaking and need a plan in midfield. Their forwards can score And I think they have a good chance if they can keep their composure..

Sligo 10/1 with Ladbrokes if you fancy putting your belief into practice...

for anyone whose ticket was not updated after Sunday..........my friends was today..they found a scanner that had been "lost".........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

What happens if Galway and Tyrone win. Do we automatically play Galway or is it the red hand since we haven't played them in this years championship so far??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ascii wrote: »
    What happens if Galway and Tyrone win. Do we automatically play Galway or is it the red hand since we haven't played them in this years championship so far??

It's a shame they can't switch us around if Galway and Sligo win, I'd love the chance to get the winner of Westmeath vs. Fermanagh! :D

Ascii wrote: »

Yeah, it would be the Red and Green vs the Red Hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And what if, getting into the realms of porcine aviation, Galway and Sligo both win?

Edit: Okay I see the answer upthread

just looking at the gaa fixture list
    the kerry and Dublin quarters have croke park as venue but no time
    however our quarter (and Monaghan's) have venue TBC. I just assumed it was certain to be in croker??????
    I was looking just to see if they had give a throw in time as its on sky.......its prob gonna be 6 or even 7 as its on sky and will most likely be the 2nd game . That will be a pain in the hole for trains !

• Advertisement

just looking at the gaa fixture list
    the kerry and Dublin quarters have croke park as venue but no time
    however our quarter (and Monaghan's) have venue TBC. I just assumed it was certain to be in croker????

The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick is readily available...;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement