Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

just realized that the on!y reason tonight's qualifiers are not in croker is due to Ed sheeran being there !
    some planning that by the gaa.,....our quarter will be there for sure so unless Garth Brooks has a gig :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »
    just realized that the on!y reason tonight's qualifiers are not in croker is due to Ed sheeran being there !
    some planning that by the gaa.,....our quarter will be there for sure so unless Garth Brooks has a gig :D

Quarter finals are always in CP since 2002.
    So that provincial winners get the chance to play there as per the pre qualifier days.

Quarter finals are always in CP since 2002.
    So that provincial winners get the chance to play there as per the pre qualifier days.

oh I know that but after last year they could do anything !
    the juniors are due to play AI final vs kerry the sams day now
    be nice for them to be on at 2 and seniors at 4
    but it will most likely be 2 and then 6 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

km79 wrote: »
    oh I know that but after last year they could do anything !
    the juniors are due to play AI final vs kerry the sams day now
    be nice for them to be on at 2 and seniors at 4
    but it will most likely be 2 and then 6 !

Guaranteed. same with Galway minors tomorrow, its a right pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does the Kildare win affect our QF pairing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

padd b1975 wrote: »

Don' think so. Still going to be from what I understand.
    If Donegal win, then Donegal.
    If Galway win then Tyrone as long as they beat Sligo
    If Galway and sligo win then it will be Galway.

But I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

No, this from the GAA website explains the match ups depending on the winner of the qualifiers
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2007151056-all-ireland-sfc-quarter-final-draw-details/

yop wrote: »
    Don' think so. Still going to be from what I understand.
    If Donegal win, then Donegal.
    If Galway win then Tyrone as long as they beat Sligo
    If Galway and sligo win then it will be Galway.

But I could be wrong!
    Forgot our opponents were always going to be from the other side of the draw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No direct effect, but it means that Dublin will now definitely be waiting for the winner of our quarter final in the semi. If Cork had won there was a small chance that they might have picked off the dubs in the quarters but no chance of Fermanagh doing that. The two recent 'shocks' - Monaghan pushing Donegal into our side of the draw and tonight's result haven't done us any favours. On the other hand they have left Kerry having almost a bye to the final on the other side of the draw.

No direct effect, but it means that Dublin will now definitely be waiting for the winner of our quarter final in the semi. If Cork had won there was a small chance that they might have picked off the dubs in the quarters but no chance of Fermanagh doing that. The two recent 'shocks' - Monaghan pushing Donegal into our side of the draw and tonight's result haven't done us any favours. On the other hand if they have left Kerry having almost a bye to the final on the other side of the draw.

An AI semi final against a stone cold Dublin side being hyped up to the clouds is fine by me....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

An AI semi final against a stone cold Dublin side being hyped up to the clouds is fine by me....
    If thats the way its got to be then thats the way its got to be.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

blinding wrote: »
    If thats the way its got to be then thats the way its got to be.:)

To be fair Dublin have been the best team in the country for 3 years now.. One blip last year allowed Kerry to take the Sam home . There is now way kerry would have beaten Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

To be fair Dublin have been the best team in the country for 3 years now.. One blip last year allowed Kerry to take the Sam home . There is now way kerry would have beaten Dublin last year.

I know what you mean, sure Mayo were the best team in the country for 2012 and 2013 but small blips in the finals against Donegal and Dublin meant we didn't win Sam. Still the best team though. I mean seriously?

Barlett wrote: »
    I know what you mean, sure Mayo were the best team in the country for 2012 and 2013 but small blips in the finals against Donegal and Dublin meant we didn't win Sam. Still the best team though. I mean seriously?
    I didn't mention Mayo. Plus you are not taking into account div 1 league performances either . But thanks for your gesture. An no mayo weren't the best team in 2012 . Donegal were an absolute juggxrnaught of a team. 2013 the best team won although Mayo had it for the taking .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

I didn't mention Mayo. Plus you are not taking into account div 1 league performances either . But thanks for your gesture. An no mayo weren't the best team in 2012 . Donegal were an absolute juggxrnaught of a team. 2013 the best team won although Mayo had it for the taking .

Ah I'm only messing, but I don't agree with your viewpoint although I can see what you mean...all we know is that Dublin were beaten by Donegal we don't know how they would've fared in the final. The best team doesn't always win the All-Ireland but the history books will record the winners as the best and that in my opinion is the most important fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The way that Dublin allowed themselves to have a blip last year meant they were not the best team in last year's championship. The best team in a championship do not have blips, which is why more often than not, the best team wins the AI!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We are talking about meeting Dublin, yet we haven't played our QF yet.... lads lads lads ;)

We are talking about meeting Dublin, yet we haven't played our QF yet.... lads lads lads ;)

Think your ahead of yourself there yop. Nobody has mentioned semifinal yet . The quarter opposition is yet to be determined so can't make any call until we know who it is . Either way it will be a serious task ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

SAT 8TH AUGUST

Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone
    All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final, Sky Sports 5 HD (15:30)
    Mayo v Donegal/Galway
    All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final, Sky Sports 5 HD (18:00)

Whats the chance of Mayo v Kerry Junior final at 2?

mayo.mick wrote: »
    SAT 8TH AUGUST

Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone
    Mayo v Donegal/Galway

Pretty high I'd say.

Last time I saw a junior game in CP was the one that was played as the curtain raiser to the Mayo v Dublin SF replay in September 1985.

Can anyone remember who was in it.

• Advertisement

SAT 8TH AUGUST

Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone
    Mayo v Donegal/Galway

I hope its galway we play so as the last train to galway is 735pm and an extra train to westport won't be much use to me !

SAT 8TH AUGUST

Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone
    Mayo v Donegal/Galway

Where are you getting that info from, any link ?

It's incorrectly worded.

It should read
    Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone/Galway

And

Mayo v Tyrone/Donegal/Galway.

As all of the above are possible fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Where are you getting that info from, any link ?

It's incorrectly worded.

It should read
    Monaghan v Sligo/Tyrone/Galway

And

Mayo v Tyrone/Donegal/Galway.

As all of the above are possible fixtures.

Sorry, forgot to add link.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/gaa-on-sky

No direct effect, but it means that Dublin will now definitely be waiting for the winner of our quarter final in the semi. If Cork had won there was a small chance that they might have picked off the dubs in the quarters but no chance of Fermanagh doing that. The two recent 'shocks' - Monaghan pushing Donegal into our side of the draw and tonight's result haven't done us any favours. On the other hand they have left Kerry having almost a bye to the final on the other side of the draw.

I'd disagree with that
    Donegal are not great.
    I personally think that they will not get past Galway.

They hammered a poor Armagh team, but struggled since v Derry and Monaghan,
    That is not a sign of a real contending team

I don't believe that a team as experienced as Dublin could come into a AI SF 'stone cold'
    I have never subscribed to the thinking that a team 'needs a test'
    And especially not an organisation with the experience and talent of Dublin

Sure they have had a cake walk of a schedule but they themselves know how good or how bad they are and will be fully prepared for the SF.

Now I hope I am wrong, and I hope this apparently new defensive setup that Dublin have in pace, but has never truly been tested, falls apart at the first sight of AOS, but I won't hold my breath.

I'd disagree with that
    Donegal are not great.
    I personally think that they will not get past Galway.

They hammered a poor Armagh team, but struggled since v Derry and Monaghan,
    That is not a sign of a real contending team

Still though, if I had to choose between playing Donegal in a quarter final and playing Monaghan in a quarter final I'd pick Monaghan as Donegal have shown that they can raise their game outside of the Ulster championship whereas Monaghan have never delivered in the All Ireland Series.

So Sky keep switching the channel they show the games on too I see, it was Sports 4 Saturday, its Sports 1 next Saturday and Sports 5 for our game. Sneaky fkers.

I agree that I think Galway will beat Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Another one here believing Galway will rattle Donegal...good back to back wins against nordy opposition and shane walsh back to full steam will have galway believing in themselves...playing a Donegal team who have not impressed all year and as we seen the last day if Murphy has an off day they can be one dimensional. Any update on Lacey ? I think if Donegal limp out next week it will show Jim McGuinness for the tactical master that a lot of people say he is. Galway haven't been at this level from some time so they are on a high.

If Sligo and galway win I would be very wary of meeting Galway again in Croker... Nothing like revenge to spur a team on and the thought of them knocking mayo out of the quarter final would make their year.

...Plus Galway are the only team left that can do the double if anyone fancies a bet :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I must be the only one that thinks Donegal will beat Galway, Donegal did not turn sh1ye over night they have being below par but are still a good team.
    Will the mayo game def be on at 5 or 7 for sky to show it

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    I must be the only one that thinks Donegal will beat Galway, Donegal did not turn sh1ye over night they have being below par but are still a good team.
    Will the mayo game def be on at 5 or 7 for sky to show it

6 according to their website
    and the one last year was 6 as well
    pain in the hole for trains !

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Wouldn't be surprised if Galway rattle us but id like to think we would have regrouped sufficiently with the 13 day break to get over the line.
    I'll echo what I've said in the Donegal forum and to my mates; if we beat Galway you will absolutely annihilate us.
    The scheduled 6pm throw in is a nightmare for whoever gets there be it Galway or Donegal and yourselves. Should not have to face the prospect of it being 10-12pm when you get home from a football game.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Galway rattle us but id like to think we would have regrouped sufficiently with the 13 day break to get over the line.
    I'll echo what I've said in the Donegal forum and to my mates; if we beat Galway you will absolutely annihilate us.
    The scheduled 6pm throw in is a nightmare for whoever gets there be it Galway or Donegal and yourselves. Should not have to face the prospect of it being 10-12pm when you get home from a football game.

Totally agree with you on that. Zero thought again given to fans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Is the Mayo quarter final only on sky. I had a look at GAA.ie, and it only says sky, whereas the semis/final show both RTE and SKY sports beside the fixtures listing.

Is the Mayo quarter final only on sky. I had a look at GAA.ie, and it only says sky, whereas the semis/final show both RTE and SKY sports beside the fixtures listing.

Yes, it will only be available on Sky.

Only on Sky and Croker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Only on Sky and Croker ;)

Thanks Yop for that clarification!!

It's alright for me living in Dublin, but will be disappointing to many down west. Not saying that Sky Sports hasn't made its way to Mayo yet. Anyway, you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Thanks Yop for that clarification!!

It's alright for me living in Dublin, but will be disappointing to many down west. Not saying that Sky Sports hasn't made its way to Mayo yet. Anyway, you know what I mean.

It'll be disappointing for the folk who only travel when we reach the All-Ireland. If they're that stuck, they can always watch it in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Just read an interesting fact in today's financial times , seemingly only 1% Mayo buffs who have television sets have sky sports .... With only 10% of mayos population actually owning their own television sets it poses the major question, how will the native mayoeeian tribe watch the game in 2 weeks

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    Just read an interesting fact in today's financial times , seemingly only 1% Mayo buffs who have television sets have sky sports .... With only 10% of mayos population actually owning their own television sets it poses the major question, how will the native mayoeeian tribe watch the game in 2 weeks

Through fibre optic broadband, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Mobdro is your answner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It'll be disappointing for the folk who only travel when we reach the All-Ireland. If they're that stuck, they can always watch it in the pub.

Elderly, infirm, cash strapped or those who have no option with regard to work leave are examples of people who maybe unable to travel to Dublin to see the match. The typical martyr mayo supporter is too wrapped up in his own self righteousness to see any other angle unfortunately, what would the county do without their ilk?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Through fibre optic broadband, of course.

Fiber optics!!?? You must be joining us from that town in Mayo "Ballina" that was reclaimed by the Dubs in the battle of bohernasup 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Elderly, infirm, cash strapped or those who have no option with regard to work leave

Strange, those problems always seem to disappear when we reach the final...

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Elderly, infirm, cash strapped or those who have no option with regard to work leave are examples of people who maybe unable to travel to Dublin to see the match. The typical martyr mayo supporter is too wrapped up in his own self righteousness to see any other angle unfortunately, what would the county do without their ilk?

I take your point with the elderly and cash strapped and those with work. But you and I both know the type of supporter - who doesn't fall into that category - who will moan about this but of course still make the trip in September ( if we are still alive at that stage ).
    Fiber optics!!?? You must be joining us from that town in Mayo "Ballina" that was reclaimed by the Dubs in the battle of bohernasup 1998.

Sure Ballina is still on dial-up. I was on about Achill, Belmullet and the more urban areas..

With only 10% of mayos population actually owning their own television sets...

Interesting statistic, where did you get it from?

Interesting statistic, where did you get it from?

In a special pull out section of today's financial times under the heading "invest in the west" . It was a fascinating piece of journalism, author David McWilliams actually spent a weekend in Mayo for the piece. It's a truely magnificent article which delves into the lives of the Aboriginal people of Central Mayo.

The piece is centred around the daily lives of the Mayoeeian folk and describes how their languages are, to a large extent, mutually illegible. It touches on the subject of entertainment in the region and to quote the piece " astonishingly only 10% of the population own televisions of which only 3% actually work"

The piece is centred around the daily lives of the Mayoeeian folk and describes how their languages are, to a large extent, mutually illegible.

What a shame. Maybe they just need better handwriting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

In a special pull out section of today's financial times under the heading "invest in the west" . It was a fascinating piece of journalism, author David McWilliams actually spent a weekend in Mayo for the piece. It's a truely magnificent article which delves into the lives of the Aboriginal people of Central Mayo.

The piece is centred around the daily lives of the Mayoeeian folk and describes how their languages are, to a large extent, mutually illegible. It touches on the subject of entertainment in the region and to quote the piece " astonishingly only 10% of the population own televisions of which only 3% actually work"

We hide all the leprechauns here too you know.

They all live in a cottage in Claremorris.

martyos121 wrote: »
    We hide all the leprechauns here too you know.

They all live in a cottage in Claremorris.

So that's where Conor mortomer is hiding

So that's where Conor mortomer is hiding

Afraid not he's up there with u lot with news that the book is selling well amongst the educated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement