Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

It was always a gripe of mine that Mayo could never jump the final hurdle, I've put a lot of thought and study into options available to Mayo to give them that edge needed, I've noticed a lot of obscure soccer clubs have started signing old has been players to bolster their squads , to broaden the clubs appeal to attract more fans and to make the sport more attractive to the youths of the area in the hope of gathering lifetime support and maybe produce a future world great.

Beckham to LA , Keane to LA, kaka to New York are but a few examples

I wonder would the same take off with the Mayo gaa scene?? What would the likelihood of Liam Machale rejoining the squad ??? Would there be an avenue to attract the likes of Trevor Giles, Graham gearaghty or Maurice Sheridan to the Mayo team??? Is there such a granny ruling as the soccer or could we put them in jobs in Connaught gold to pass them as Connaught citizens ??? If anything it would put the fear of God into the opposition glancing at a team sheet full of world greats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Great news in that the GAA has fixed the Junior Final for Croke Park on the day of the Quarter Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    Would there be an avenue to attract the likes of Trevor Giles, Graham gearaghty or Maurice Sheridan to the Mayo team??? Is there such a granny ruling as the soccer or could we put them in jobs in Connaught gold to pass them as Connaught citizens ??? I
    Maurice Sheridan was born and rared in Mayo and played for Mayo for many years :rolleyes:

km79 wrote: »
    Maurice Sheridan was born and rared in Mayo and played for Mayo for many years :rolleyes:

You know it's near the business end of the championship when the clowns start popping up in the thread.

You know it's near the business end of the championship when the clowns start popping up in the thread.

assume he meant Maurice Fitz but tis easy mix up 2 legends of the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Liam Machale was also from Mayo if memory serves.... Pirlo went to juventus when they said he was passed it and look what he done. As always I take my football on its merits, Liam, Maurice fitz and Maurice Sheridan were all fabulous footballers. Who are we to say they these men are past it.

My mindset is not askew as you may think it is, current management had looked into taking rugby legend and golden oldie Gavin Duffy away from his rugby roots and on to his aboriginal Mayo footballing roots. There has also been hot talk of pat Holmes looking into the availability of Brian o Driscoll ..., it's all about the big money publicity these days , don't be surprised if you see a Mayo forward line August 8 consisting of

Duffy - Hanley - Machale

Sheridan - Sheridan - Sheridan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    Liam Machale was also from Mayo if memory serves.... Pirlo went to juventus when they said he was passed it and look what he done. As always I take my football on its merits, Liam, Maurice fitz and Maurice Sheridan were all fabulous footballers. Who are we to say they these men are past it.

My mindset is not askew as you may think it is, current management had looked into taking rugby legend and golden oldie Gavin Duffy away from his rugby roots and on to his aboriginal Mayo footballing roots. There has also been hot talk of pat Holmes looking into the availability of Brian o Driscoll ..., it's all about the big money publicity these days , don't be surprised if you see a Mayo forward line August 8 consisting of

Duffy - Hanley - Machale

Sheridan - Sheridan - Sheridan

Sure why not get Dr Micky Loftus to tog out while we're at it, he still keeps himself in shape by all accounts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Great news in that the GAA has fixed the Junior Final for Croke Park on the day of the Quarter Final.

Yea its good for Mayo fans that they are on the same day, regardless of the fact that there is a game in-between.

If I was from.Kerry I'd be pissed, Croke Park and a quarter final admission price for a junior game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Yea its good for Mayo fans that they are on the same day, regardless of the fact that there is a game in-between.

If I was from.Kerry I'd be pissed, Croke Park and a quarter final admission price for a junior game ?

In fairness there aren't many junior players involved, on the Mao side of thigs anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Yerra shur it gives them a run out at Croker where some of them won a minor AI last year and will no doubt win a few Senior finals in years to come..;)

Seriously, probably be a fairly empty stadium for majority of game so it's a bit weird but not a massive deal. Could have been played in Ennis or even Tullamore as a double header with Kerry v Sligo minors I suppose but the Junior champo isn't exactly priority for the GAA.

Kerry squad is pretty strong but young, quite a few minors and u21s, which is probably the correct approach. Not sure how Mayo are fixed. I saw Adam Gallagher lined out in 1 game anyway. Recall him being a good minor. Don't know a lot of the others apart from Cathal Freeman who also sticks in the memory as a decent forward.

Looking forward to the Mayo GAA blog fella having another meltdown if Kerry manage to win anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I believe the Sligo minors were beaten by Galway in the minor replay on Friday night.

TBH I'd let the Kingdom win the junior final happily if we managed to beat you guys if we happen to cross paths on the All Ireland final day.;-)

Yerra shur it gives them a run out at Croker where some of them won a minor AI last year and will no doubt win a few Senior finals in years to come..;)

Seriously, probably be a fairly empty stadium for majority of game so it's a bit weird but not a massive deal. Could have been played in Ennis or even Tullamore as a double header with Kerry v Sligo minors I suppose but the Junior champo isn't exactly priority for the GAA.

Kerry squad is pretty strong but young, quite a few minors and u21s, which is probably the correct approach. Not sure how Mayo are fixed. I saw Adam Gallagher lined out in 1 game anyway. Recall him being a good minor. Don't know a lot of the others apart from Cathal Freeman who also sticks in the memory as a decent forward.

Looking forward to the Mayo GAA blog fella having another meltdown if Kerry manage to win anyway! :D

They played each other in a junior final in Ennis in 2012 I think, and it was a very small crowd at it.
    Kerry won of course.

And to be honest that's what I think will happen in a few weeks, that's a very strong Kerry team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't believe that a team as experienced as Dublin could come into a AI SF 'stone cold'
    I have never subscribed to the thinking that a team 'needs a test'
    And especially not an organisation with the experience and talent of Dublin

Sure they have had a cake walk of a schedule but they themselves know how good or how bad they are and will be fully prepared for the SF.

Now I hope I am wrong, and I hope this apparently new defensive setup that Dublin have in pace, but has never truly been tested, falls apart at the first sight of AOS, but I won't hold my breath.
    Generally speaking, it's hard to argue with that.
    Normally I would file any 'needs a test' talk under clichéd analysis.

However.....

You simply cannot ignore the reality that Dublin are potentially facing into an AI semi final without having faced anything close to the kind of pace and intensity you would associate with this stage of the season in almost a year.

Will Jim Gavin be aware and have made his players aware of this? Of course he will.

Realistically, it's not going to be a major disadvantage to the team, but I live in Dublin and I've seen how overconfidence and complacency can become almost unavoidable.
    Footballers are creatures of habit, however it doesn't take a whole lot to plant a few niggles that could translate into a rash decision coming down the stretch.

It's been amost a year since the Dublin ship sailed in such waters and we all remember what happened on that occasion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The "need a test" thing is a load of ****e when it's applied to people for some reason hoping Mayo or Kerry struggle to beat Leitrim or Clare.

It's a real thing when Dublin haven't played a Championship standard match since September 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    The "need a test" thing is a load of ****e when it's applied to people for some reason hoping Mayo or Kerry struggle to beat Leitrim or Clare. It's a real thing when Dublin haven't played a Championship standard match since September 2014.

I must be missing something. What is the point here , is it that Dublin dont get tested but Kerry and Mayo do?

I see them all pretty much in the same boat tbh. Saturday's game would back that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

padd b1975 wrote: »

However.....

You simply cannot ignore the reality that Dublin are potentially facing into an AI semi final without having faced anything close to the kind of pace and intensity you would associate with this stage of the season in almost a year.

Will Jim Gavin be aware and have made his players aware of this? Of course he will.

Realistically, it's not going to be a major disadvantage to the team, but I live in Dublin and I've seen how overconfidence and complacency can become almost unavoidable.
    Footballers are creatures of habit, however it doesn't take a whole lot to plant a few niggles that could translate into a rash decision coming down the stretch.

It's been amost a year since the Dublin ship sailed in such waters and we all remember what happened on that occasion!
    We do Dublin strolled into the All Ireland semi final untested and as defending champions every pundit and so called expert built them up as unbeatable. They seem to believe in the hype of all out attack was the way to go while forgetting their defensive duties one year on and the dubs will stroll into another All Ireland semi final however lessons should be learnt from the Donegal defeat and Dublin will be more clued in defensively this time.

padd b1975 wrote: »

However.....

keane2097 wrote: »
    The "need a test" thing is a load of ****e when it's applied to people for some reason hoping Mayo or Kerry struggle to beat Leitrim or Clare.

It's a real thing when Dublin haven't played a Championship standard match since September 2014.

Thats a different way of looking at it.
    The changes they have made defensively have not seen a strong set of forwards yet.

They seem to believe in the hype of all out attack was the way to go while forgetting their defensive duties one year on and the dubs will stroll into another All Ireland semi final however lessons should be learnt from the Donegal defeat and Dublin will be more clued in defensively this time.

It was not really due to hype infairness, it was how the manager beleived the game should be played. Turns out he was wrong and has admitted that. He had the backing of being more or less unbeaten up to that point, he won the league and the all ireland on his first attempt based on that belief including the league that year.

Donegal exposed the theory, infairness to them and credit to them they were the first team to that since Mayo in 2012. Gavin had never lost to McGuinness up until that point, he had a great record against him.

It was a great performance by Donegal. It was one managers ideas versus anothers and part of why the game is so interesting, but the notion that Dublin would win with all out attack had substance to it since the coaching team had delivered on that ticket already, hype has no substance to it.

The hype thing is just one of those things that follows Dublin football it is the easy / lazy thing to blame losses on, indeed some take pleasure in saying it. Mayo can't win finals or are cursed etc. From reading their thread apparently if Donegal lose its because they were drinking that's their standard thing. They might be true sometimes but not all the time.

Dublin players are often tagged as having beleived in their own hype, that has been true and was in 1992 but unless you know the players you can't know what they believe. Disregard the fans and the pundits.

Hype was not why Dublin lost last year imho. Tomorrow with no hype now they might still lose to Donegal. The approach that had delivered for them very successfully up to that point failed them, the Donegal approach was superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Stoner wrote: »
    It was not really due to hype infairness, it was how the manager beleived the game should be played. Turns out he was wrong and has admitted that. He had the backing of being more or less unbeaten up to that point, he won the league and the all ireland on his first attempt based on that belief including the league that year.

Donegal exposed the theory, infairness to them and credit to them they were the first team to that since Mayo in 2012. Gavin had never lost to McGuinness up until that point, he had a great record against him.

It was a great performance by Donegal. It was one managers ideas versus anothers and part of why the game is so interesting, but the notion that Dublin would win with all out attack had substance to it since the coaching team had delivered on that ticket already, hype has no substance to it.

The hype thing is just one of those things that follows Dublin football it is the easy / lazy thing to blame losses on, indeed some take pleasure in saying it. Mayo can't win finals or are cursed etc. From reading their thread apparently if Donegal lose its because they were drinking that's their standard thing. They might be true sometimes but not all the time.

Dublin players are often tagged as having beleived in their own hype, that has been true and was in 1992 but unless you know the players you can't know what they believe. Disregard the fans and the pundits.

Hype was not why Dublin lost last year imho. Tomorrow with no hype now they might still lose to Donegal. The approach that had delivered for them very successfully up to that point failed them, the Donegal approach was superior.
    1992 was more a case of that Dublin side overrated and Donegal underrated after a poor semi final game against Mayo. Donegal had the mix of two All Ireland U-21 winning teams some of the best ever players to pull on the Donegal jersey that side should have won more than it did and if the back door was in place back then they probably would have won more.

Lazy or not even the very best sides have got caught up in the hype. Going into All Ireland semi final and believing that out attack and ignoring your defensive duties was the way to go is getting caught up in the hype imho.

Dublin were fairly solid defensively 2011 to 2013 mostly due to the work of Pat Gilroy who focused on improving the Dublin defence after the hammerings received from Tyrone,Kerry in 2008,09. From what i recall Jim Gavin should have lost his first ever meeting with McGuinness when Murphy missed a penalty with the last kick of the game in the 2010 U-21 final but that team did produce some of Dublins best defenders R O’Carroll, J Cooper,J McCarthy.

Having watched Dublin this year between league and championship they have been trying to get back to the solid defensive structure that was in place however through this fine tuning they remain vulnerable to the quick counterattack which should make the possible All Ireland semi against Mayo very interesting.

1992 was more a case of that Dublin side overrated and Donegal underrated after a poor semi final game against Mayo. Donegal had the mix of two All Ireland U-21 winning teams some of the best ever players to pull on the Donegal jersey that side should have won more than it did and if the back door was in place back then they probably would have won more.

Still a huge amount of hype with Dublin that year. Everyone thought they'd win. An Ulster team in the final was a gimmie up to that , Donegal opened the door for Ulster teams, but in all fairness they disappeared after that. Down picked up a couple Derry etc . That Dublin team hung around there or there abouts until 1995, then Meath took over in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:
    Still a huge amount of hype with Dublin that year. Everyone thought they'd win. An Ulster team in the final was a gimmie up to that , Donegal opened the door for Ulster teams, but in all fairness they disappeared after that. Down picked up a couple Derry etc . That Dublin team hung around there or there abouts until 1995, then Meath took over in Leinster.

OK, let me pull you up on that - that Donegal team did not disappear. Contested the Ulster Final the following year and lost to eventual All Ireland winners Derry. Down won Ulster in 1994 and the All Ireland. Tyrone won in 1995 and you know what became of them. The standard in Ulster back then was very high, not just 'competitive' as touted today. In fairness, that DL team was at its peak when Derry and Down were also and Tyrone began their ascent.

And of course it was Down in 1991 that made the breakthrough for Ulster.

Anyway, sorry for going OT. Back to discussing Mayo v Dublin ☺

True .
    I deserved that. I'm getting old. 1991 was a particularly sickening year for me:)

Slow week when we are discussing Dublin and Ulster football of the early 90s on the Mayo thread.

This time tomorrow can't come soon enough, at that stage we can discuss our QF opponents and by this time Sunday we should know our possible SF opponents.

Ok I'll head off after this. But I honestly have to say that Dublin were more or less the same against Kerry and Mayo in 2013 as they approached 2014. It was not a defensive line up like 2011. The switch happened with the manager, that is very clear for me anyway Galvin was ruthless, there was no gradual change.

We just didn't meet Donegal in 2013. We did in 2014. You can't put 2011 and 2013 in the same box.

We fell over the line against Mayo in 2013, both teams played attacking hard ball. That year Mayo handled Donegal like nobody had or has since playing open but aggressive football, there was evidence it worked.

Dublins system failed against Donegal last year. It had worked up to that. That's not hype regardless of what way you spin it. They were just beaten by a better unit, it almost takes from Donegal to suggest otherwise imho.

It was proven wrong Im not trying to be confrontational with you but you can't massage that into hype, even if it feels better saying it. I do agree with you that most teams suffer from it, so few win back to back. I just see it differently and I'm well aware of hype in Dublin I just think the players were shielded from it.

I've been watching Dublin for years, and everyone is taking about how they have not been tested and how they are more defensive this year. Bar one O'Byrne cup game this year ive been at them all.
    There is really very little difference in their play, a slight bit more holding of positions particularly at no 6. Some tracking back, but not a big difference.

They look no better at playing against a blanket from an attacking point of view imho, indeed they lost their only big man inside so they have less options.

I dont buy into this standard talk, I've seen little improvement or change. I'm not sure it's in them tbh.

The biggest changes in a team this year for me is Mayo. If they are working behind closed doors on options at number 3 (Parsons etc or B Moran) and if AOS continues at 14 and it works out I could easily see them winning Sam this year.
    TBH it would be well deserved. They've been so close and to be fair Donegal, Kerry and Dublin have added little this year. Kerry are relying on a cute manager as their X factor, I don't think Tommy Walsh or Galvin will bring much this year, maybe next year.
    We are waiting for Donegal to kick in, and they more or less did in the UF. I'd favour them to beat Monaghan if it was a replay, they were very close and showed up at the right time to give fans hope.

I dont see Kerry or Dublin handling AOS up front. I've said this before.

I do see maybe Donegal handling him though and possibly a full strength Monaghan, but thats about it. I wonder would the mayo lads rather play Kerry than Monaghan?
    I'd say they might. Monaghan might be tighter at the back and it would be bloody typical (for Mayo) if it worked out that Mayo got Monaghan and Monaghan won

I think it will be very close this year and Mayo have made the most bold changes while keeping their sharpness. I could be seriously wrong but I dont see them losing to Kerry if that game happens. I think it's a great championship this year tbh. The tactical challenges posed by Ulster teams is as strong as ever and few teams bar Ulster teams have shown improvements in how to handle it.

I was talking to a range of guys today from Galway, Leitrim Monaghan, Mayo are heavily fancied.

looking at options for getting to and from the match next Saturday that still allow me to have a few beverages :D
    based outside galway so hoping they win today and a train later than 730pm is put on !
    but if not does anyone know if the luas or dart does park and ride facilities somewhere around Lucan of Liffey valley ?
    the wife has agreed to drive home as long as its not from Dublin city centre !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

looking at options for getting to and from the match next Saturday that still allow me to have a few beverages :D
    based outside galway so hoping they win today and a train later than 730pm is put on !
    but if not does anyone know if the luas or dart does park and ride facilities somewhere around Lucan of Liffey valley ?

Park in Leixlip and get the train to Drumcondra station.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Park in Leixlip and get the train to Drumcondra station.

thanks that seems like an excellent option!
    is there a big car park at leixlip train station ?
    the train times suit for after the game anyway although they don't show fares for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

the train times suit for after the game anyway although they don't show fares for some reason

Don't know about the car park to be honest as I've never done it myself but I hear others talking about it. I would guess there's parking somewhere within walking distance of one or other of the two train stations in Leixlip. Someone from there might advise - or have a look on google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I've only ever went on it once, from Maynooth. Think we had to pay something like €8 for parking beside the station but it was spot on. Drops you right above Quinn's in Dumcondra.

sounds perfect thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Loads of parking in Maynooth near train station. Around 5e into Drumcondra. Lots of Mayo people do it as I thimk the Glenroyal Hotel beside train station has Mayo connections. For my money it's handier than Leixlip.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Loads of parking in Maynooth near train station. Around 5e into Drumcondra. Lots of Mayo people do it as I thimk the Glenroyal Hotel beside train station has Mayo connections. For my money it's handier than Leixlip.

thanks also sounds like a good plan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

There are two stations in Leixlip. Louisa Bridge and Confey.
    Louisa Bridge is the much better option.
    The car park is much bigger and the station is nearer the motorway so you don't even have to drive into Leixlip. Coming from the west you take exit 6 off the motorway (exit for Intel). Go through the first roundabout (2nd exit) and at the next one go right around (third exit). Half a mile down that road the station is on the left and the car park on the right.

I have often parked here and got the train in. Just check that there is a train back at the time the match is over.

jjdonegal wrote: »

Yeah Maynooth is a very handy option, I've often used it and headed into Drumcondra station.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah Maynooth is a very handy option, I've often used it and headed into Drumcondra station.

yeah it will be maynooth if we drive
    I asusme there will be grub and a bit of craic in that hotel near the train station too !

yeah it will be maynooth if we drive
    I asusme there will be grub and a bit of craic in that hotel near the train station too !

Hope you'll be able to make the All Ireland junior final which starts at 12,it is going to be a long day.:)

Try the car park at Phoenix park station. Only only three stops form drumcondra and its a bigvcar park

Hope you'll be able to make the All Ireland junior final which starts at 12,it is going to be a long day.:)

It'll be longer if the junior game starts at 12 and not 2 :)

Looking at that silly GAA app,has the 3 games down for 12,of course with TBC highlighted.My bads.You'd think they'd confirm the start times on the app with a week to go.
    Thanks ColeTrain,I'd hate to be the only individual in the stadium at 12.

• Advertisement

Looking at that silly GAA app,has the 3 games down for 12,of course with TBC highlighted.My bads.You'd think they'd confirm the start times on the app with a week to go.
    Thanks ColeTrain,I'd hate to be the only individual in the stadium at 12.

No problem Seligehgit. This time next week we'll be in Croker, can't wait now.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    No problem Seligehgit. This time next week we'll be in Croker, can't wait now.
    Hopefully we'll have 2 wins and an All Ireland title to boot..Can't wait myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Donegal were awful for 50 minutes but that last 20 showed what they're capable of. Tough task next week. They'll be much better from the start next week with that win in the bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It should be interesting but if Mayo are good enough they can beat Donegal.

McBrearty ran out of steam after a good start. (he actually looks bit heavy)

How bad is the McGee fellas injury ?

Yes it is going to take a big seventy minute performance to overcome Donegal,it was a Jekyll and Hyde performance by them today but they were pretty awesome for the majority of the second half and around the period when they scored their first goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In fairness somehow Mayo cannot give up the amount of goal chances that they have been giving.

Or Else the are going to have to blow the opposition clean out of the water early. And as pretty much most teams that have tried it have found out you cannot expect that to happen every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its gonna be some battle next week. Really looking forward to it

Definitely going to have to deploy a sweeper to counteract Murphy if he drifts in around the square.Jim McGuinness doesn't seem to believe it's something that it will not be possible to deploy effectively without match day practice.He was predicting on SKY that we're likely to cough up a few goal chances.
    I've seen little evidence that we won't go man on man and hope to outscore them.This has not worked for us in the past in achieving our ultimate goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Thought Donegal were laboured again today . Much improved performance from Murphy and McFadden I thought was motm. If we sort out full back then it should go our way . GalwAy were again nieve and panicked when they should have grasped the game . The last 2 goals were unforgivable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

A sweeper will have to be deployed in front of McFadden. Am worried about cunniffee he's had two poor games against weak opposition. The high ball in is what they will have to put up with next weekend

I would sincerely hope we have a come a long way defensively since 2012, watching Peter Canavan demonstrate the amount of space we gave them in the run up to Murphy's goal brought back some bad memories. We have the firepower up front but absoloutely have to tighten up and deploy more players around the back. Kevin McLoughlin would be well suited to this.

Galway had them on the ropes but couldn't deliver the knock-out punch. They are beatable but we need to be on top of our game. We can't afford even half the wides we had against them in the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement