Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd say Donegal are going to try and rain high ball on our full back line .......don't know if this current Donegal team can match Mayo's intensity further out the pitch though. They looked jaded for majority of their games so far. Galway just weren't good enough to turn their intensity into scores . the Mayo team will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

next weekend will be Donegal third week in a row playing a big game, they will be tired, if we can get on top from the start, tighten up at the back then we will have it, Donegal have hit some wides this year and if they are pressurised in the right areas they will have them, they will tire as the game goes on. Galway were **** the minute the first gaol went in, we have to make Donegal chase the game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah they are going to pummel our full back line with high balls no doubt about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah they are going to pummel our full back line with high balls no doubt about it.

Well it will be time for them to step up, if they don't then we don't deserve a place in the semis!
    Donegal were very jekyll and hyde. Will cause us a lot of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

naughto wrote: »
    next weekend will be Donegal third week in a row playing a big game, they will be tired, if we can get on top from the start, tighten up at the back then we will have it, Donegal have hit some wides this year and if they are pressurised in the right areas they will have them, they will tire as the game goes on. Galway were **** the minute the first gaol went in, we have to make Donegal chase the game

This, although the id argue Galway just fell apart after the second goal rather than the first as up to that point they were in with a shout.

The cards are in Mayo's favour as you rightly point out Donegal are on their 3rd outing in as many weeks. Plus I don't see much new in their team or ours since 2013 and our average age would be a lot younger.

They're still a dangerous team and Gallagher will have done his homework. Our defence is suspect but if we can get any sort of a lead and have them chase the game I think we'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'll try and put some spin on Mayo conceding 2-11 v Sligo to Kerry conceding 0-10 today.

The Mayo game was over after 10 mins.
    There was a glimmer of a chance for Kildare until the first Kerry goal in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Thought today Kerry looked to play attractive football. Even though the gAme itself was abysmal. With Donahue and donaghey off they play good football. I'm starting to hope they play donaghy now as it is a limiting factor to their attack ( although effective and destructive) .
    Dublin were asleep today so it is probably their off day over with.

Fair play to Fermanagh and their supporters.

Yeah Kerry were the most impressive team by a mile this weekend,they will take some beating.Not too sure how serious the JOD injury is?I think they're now favourites for the All Ireland.

Fermanagh were an absolute credit,ditto their supporters.

Mayo certainly will have a game on their hands on Saturday.

Personally I don’t think Donegal that good.
    No team coming into a QF that plays as poorly as it did v Derry and Monaghan, and went 24 mins without scoring v Galway is in the right form for a serious challenge.

However Mayo have a couple of problems
    They have struggled with massed defences and they have a tendency to concede goals.
    So if they cannot break down Donegal and allow the like of Murphy to ghost in for a few goals then it's lights out.
    They could not break down Tyrone back in Feb but that is not worth worrying about right now because there should be a huge difference between them in the 6 months since that game took place.

A lot of good quick ball up to the forwards early, that will set the tone and break the massed defence, hopefully enough to force Donegal to chase the game, which should open them up even more.

It's easy on paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Does anyone know when we can opt out of season ticket for next weekend? I know for Sligo game it was Sunday night but cant seem to do it on website, dont want to miss deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

markel wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we can opt out of season ticket for next weekend? I know for Sligo game it was Sunday night but cant seem to do it on website, dont want to miss deadline

I'd say we will get the mail tomorrow with the details. You have one opt out for any game but it goes against your attendance. You just don't get charged for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Ya we've only missed 1 game so attendance is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I might have asked this already but does anyone know if there is any way of linking a Croke Park Season Ticket and a Cairde Maigheo season ticket on the same account so that I might be able to get the two seats together in Croker for Saturday night? Or will they automatically be next to each other anyway if they are on the same account even though they are two different types of tickets? I have tried to put them together in a seating group but it won't let me do it because they are on the same account but at the same time when I set up the initial group it is only including one ticket in my group even though I have two tickets on the account.

Anyone else have or had a similar issue and if so, how did you solve it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Any reason to think Mayo will deal with this better than in the last few years ?

While I think Mayo have a stronger team overall, the Donegal FF line can be really dangerous and goals win matches,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

I'd imagine Paul Claffey will be up to his eyes with complaints this week about Sky having the game this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any reason to think Mayo will deal with this better than in the last few years ?

Through AOS and COC repaying them in spades? That seems to be Pat Holmes's master plan anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I might have asked this already but does anyone know if there is any way of linking a Croke Park Season Ticket and a Cairde Maigheo season ticket on the same account so that I might be able to get the two seats together in Croker for Saturday night? Or will they automatically be next to each other anyway if they are on the same account even though they are two different types of tickets? I have tried to put them together in a seating group but it won't let me do it because they are on the same account but at the same time when I set up the initial group it is only including one ticket in my group even though I have two tickets on the account.

Anyone else have or had a similar issue and if so, how did you solve it?

Can't link Cairde and Croke park season tickets in seating groups. Seeing as Croke park have taken over the Cairde ticket you'd think that you would be able to.

While I think Mayo have a stronger team overall, the Donegal FF line can be really dangerous and goals win matches,

Not convinced that they are,an effective sweeper needs to be put in place.Not sure re the veracity of certain players been played in a withdrawn role in the full back line as a sweeper.Dare'nt give away any state secrets.

The current management's mantra appears to be we'll score than you will,has failed in the past.Interesting how they will deal with a blanket defence.They have plenty of room to improve on the Tyrone league game.

TBF Donegal seem to be more porous defensively than years gone by.Ciaran Whelan did a good analysis re the tendency of Donegal players in the Galway game to be sucked into the ball rather maintaining a zonal system and awaiting for contact.The latter has been so central to their past successes.

Anybody recording the game on Saturday I could get a copy off?

• Advertisement

David Gough from Meath is the referee on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wendy2015

New to Mayo, looking to offer my support for the green and red.
    I have looked on the main Gaa website and the tickets available aren't great, where else can I look to purchase better seats? I'm looking for three seats together. I'm not a member of any local club. Thanks for any help! :)

Wendy2015 wrote: »
    New to Mayo, looking to offer my support for the green and red.
    I have looked on the main Gaa website and the tickets available aren't great, where else can I look to purchase better seats? I'm looking for three seats together. I'm not a member of any local club. Thanks for any help! :)

Tickets.ie is your best bet.
    I bought one today but they were only selling upper Cusack and lower Davin.

They may sell lower and upper Hogan later is the week, I believe lower Cusack are where season tickets and family tickets go so they may be the last to be made available.

Also try SuperValu shops, they are an agent for tickets.ie but they may have different allocations than what is on the main website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Should be able to get them in Dublin on the day of the match.
    Ticket office on Dorset St.
    Opening of upper levels will depend on the crowd.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

David Gough from Meath is the referee on Saturday.

A good buddy of Reilly, this will end well!!

Talking to a Dublin lad yesterday, he was going mental with the Kerry ref, 1 free in on half and 4 overall, 22 to Fermanagh.
    I can't say I honestly took much heed, but it sounds odd!

I fear for O'Shea with a weak ref, he is going to get dogs abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

yop wrote: »
    A good buddy of Reilly, this will end well!!

Talking to a Dublin lad yesterday, he was going mental with the Kerry ref, 1 free in on half and 4 overall, 22 to Fermanagh.
    I can't say I honestly took much heed, but it sounds odd!

The Quigley/Cluxton goal was ludicrous in fairness, even back in the 1950s that wouldn't have been allowed. Quigley's reaction is telling:
    capture.jpg

• Advertisement

The Quigley/Cluxton goal was ludicrous in fairness, even back in the 1950s that wouldn't have been allowed. Quigley's reaction is telling:
    capture.jpg

Agreed, mind boggling stuff. Though I can't see why the hell keepers are such a protected species. Touch a keeper = free out.

Anyway, Saturday can't come fast enough, we will learn a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Better not to focus on referees .

But in fairness as a spectacle it livened up the dub supporters and Fermanagh threw the gauntlet after that . Without it we'd be comparing it to the first match .

fitness of donegal will be severely tested the next day third weekend in a row and mayo will have had a 20 day break, the record of qualifying teams playing that frequently isnt good,i can see Mayo pulling away with this in the final 15-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

how much are mayo going to win by against Donegal??:D

a point win will do,can see anything up to 10 being honest going by other qualifiers and results in recent years when a side has a time advantage like this,though this match is probably the closest on paper of the other 4 QF's, Teams playing 3 weekends in a row championship tend to run out of steam early,its a serious advantage having a 3 weeks break over a 1 week break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Would love to see a big bit of bulk on the back line to give the high ball forwards something to think about and wear them out. I imagine 2 AOS's there :D

im inclined to agree with you sean, Im not sure we will get 10, but i do think we will scrape a win. A bad donegal team can still win games. And if they keep a good defence system up, they will keep very close to us. but in either case, we should win.... if we want an all ireland, we need to beat everyone:rolleyes:

Oldtree wrote: »
    Would love to see a big bit of bulk on the back line to give the high ball forwards something to think about and wear them out. I imagine 2 AOS's there :D

If Kevin Keane is playing ( i think he is supposed to be) he will be a big help. Tom Cuniffe looked out of pace in the last two games. He was really void in the Galway game, hopefully he can step up in the next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

seanhynes wrote: »
    fitness of donegal will be severely tested the next day third weekend in a row and mayo will have had a 20 day break, the record of qualifying teams playing that frequently isnt good,i can see Mayo pulling away with this in the final 15-20

Seen that one a few times. It's 3 games in 4 weeks, 1 extra game basically.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ok here's my stab at the team..

1. Clarke
    2. Cunniffe
    3. Keane
    4. Higgins
    5. Keegan
    6. Boyle
    7. Vaughan
    8. Seamus O Shea
    9. Tom Parsons
    10. Diarmuid O Connor
    11. Doherty
    12. McLoughlin
    13. Cillian O Connor
    14. Aidan O Shea
    15. Moran

Expecting minimal changes,Kevin Keane comes in at full back to add some much needed physicality at full back,he is'nt the most mobile full back but as long he is'nt left isolated one on one with Murphy.....sweeper put in place,it may add some solidity to the full back line.

Tom Cunniffe returning to his more familiar corner back position badly needs a big game.

Big responsibility on the half backs and all and sundry to offer the full back line greater protection than has been the case up to this point,outDonegal Donegal..

Ok here's my stab at the team..

1. Clarke
    2. Cunniffe
    3. Keane
    4. Higgins
    5. Keegan
    6. Boyle
    7. Vaughan
    8. Seamus O Shea
    9. Tom Parsons
    10. Diarmuid O Connor
    11. Doherty
    12. McLoughlin
    13. Cillian O Connor
    14. Aidan O Shea
    15. Moran

Expecting minimal changes,Kevin Keane comes in at full back to add some much needed physicality at full back,he is'nt the most mobile full back but as long he is'nt left isolated one on one with Murphy.....sweeper put in place,it may add some solidity to the full back line.

Tom Cunniffe returning to his more familiar corner back position badly needs a big game.

Big responsibility on the half backs and all and sundry to offer the full back line greater protection than has been the case up to this point,outDonegal Donegal..

Yes Keane hopefully will add a bit of solidity to the full back line, it would be great to see him have a good game.

Is there any merit in the idea of putting Barrett at no 2 instead of Cuniffe ?
    If i recall he was the greatest thing since sliced bread at that position once or twice a few years back
    Has he regressed ?
    Did last years injury hamper him ?, or is he a better wing back ?

Yes Keane hopefully will add a bit of solidity to the full back line, it would be great to see him have a good game.

If i recall he was the greatest thing since sliced bread at that position once or twice a few years back
    Has he regressed ?

I'd definitely have him in ahead of cunniffe

km79 wrote: »
    I'd definitely have him in ahead of cunniffe

Well if Barrett and Cafferkey are starting on the bench at least it's a bit of experienced cover for the full back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is anyone else having a problem logging in to the season tickets site?

Was to "bring a friend" but wont allow me access.

Has he regressed ?

He was definitely the man of the moment in 2013,rescued us in the semi final against Tyrone with his couple of points from his forays up from half back.He has been a utility of player of sorts but got roosted by Brian Hurley in the quarter final last year.

There is some merit to starting him at corner back Fr as Tom Cunniffe has had a poor season thus far,league and championship.He'd an absolute nightmare against Dublin in the league...not the only one but his initial errors contributed greatly to the momentum the Dubs attained.

TBF to Cunniffe he was definitely started out of position against Sligo,he's no full back.He has many of the attributes required to be a corner back,he's very quick(quicker than Barrett) and hence injury prone.Though at times he can be found out positionally with significant consequences.

I'd be still inclined to start with Tom Cunniffe in spite of the fact that I don't believe the Donegal corner forwards are lightning quick....Colm McFadden if he starts in the corner and Paddy McBrearty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Going with the same 15, just seen it announced on my Facebook feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Avns1s wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a problem logging in to the season tickets site?

Was to "bring a friend" but wont allow me access.

Same here! 10 am deadline will not be long coming round with the site down!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Literally just posted in Donegal thread. Take it I'm not the only one so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Thank God!!! :-)

Don't mean it in any bad way at all - just glad I'm not alone!!:):)

Going with the same 15, just seen it announced on my Facebook feeds

I see that also.
    Why bother naming Cafferkey at 2, Vaughan at 3 and Cuniffe at 6 when we all know Cuniffe will go to the corner, Cafferkey to FB and Vaughan to 6 ?

And is Keane still injured or just on the bench ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Why release the team so early in the week

naughto wrote: »
    Why release the team so early in the week

that team won't start I'd say
    they just want to get it out of the way early in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll be working during the game. Balls.

Cora Stanton.

Scored 2-10 v Tyrone last weekend.

When her career is over, whenever that may be, someone is going to tot up the numbers and they are going to be astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Avns1s wrote: »
    Thank God!!! :-)

Don't mean it in any bad way at all - just glad I'm not alone!!:):)

I got logged in this morning no problem so it should be working for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement