Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Barlett wrote: »
    No I'm pretty sure it's some whizz from the Kerry backroom team. Donie Buckley.

Thats what I've heard,yes. Excellent trainer Donie, really good coach. Think he'll be good for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I'm heading down for the county final on Sunday. Anyone got any inside info on what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well just based on seeing the two teams the last few years I would say Ballaghadereen to attempt to outmuscle Ballintubber around the middle. I expect Ballaghadereen to win as they can win the kickouts and breaks. Overall I think they're the stronger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I'm heading down for the county final on Sunday. Anyone got any inside info on what to expect?

Going on other years a Low scoring defensive game would be expected. McHale park is too big for these club games the atmosphere is lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Have a feeling for Ballagh.. think they will do it!

Three in a row is very difficult!

Dreadful Mayo final, Ballagh the best side eventhough the final scoreline flattered them. Once Dillon went off injured Ballintubber had no one to score and O'Connor was a far bigger loss than Andy Moran was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dreadful Mayo final, Ballagh the best side eventhough the final scoreline flattered them. Once Dillon went off injured Ballintubber had no one to score and O'Connor was a far bigger loss than Andy Moran was.

I think the goal only put a proper reflection of the game on the scoreline. Ballagh dropped at least two easy points short into the keeper's hands and fluffed a couple of goal-mouth chances as well.

Not one for the ages but people would do well to remember Ballagh didn't make the Mayo final by random luck - they've more than enough to deal with Curry and would have home advantage against Brigids were they to see off Melvin Gaels and Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I wonder which team has the bigger loss this Sunday, Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber) or Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)?

To answer my own question..Cillian O'Connor. Have watched alot of games this year and that Mayo final was the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Going on other years a Low scoring defensive game would be expected. McHale park is too big for these club games the atmosphere is lost.

Good shout there.

Was at the game myself today, Ballagh done their hard work in the first twenty after which they seemed to drop back a gear. O'Connor was badly missed by Tubber. The county players didn't seem to show at all save for Geraghty. Both sides were incredibly wasteful which was surprising as conditions were as good as they could be for this time of year. Tubber never looked threatening up front but really didn't expect them to come away with only one score in the second half.

Overall a poor game but Ballagh but did look fit and strong and will certainly challenge for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Good shout there.

Was at the game myself today, Ballagh done their hard work in the first twenty after which they seemed to drop back a gear. O'Connor was badly missed by Tubber. The county players didn't seem to show at all save for Geraghty. Both sides were incredibly wasteful which was surprising as conditions were as good as they could be for this time of year. Tubber never looked threatening up front but really didn't expect them to come away with only one score in the second half.

Overall a poor game but Ballagh but did look fit and strong and will certainly challenge for Connacht.

If they play like they did today they really will be blown away by Bridgets or Salthill. Even Curry would fancy their chances next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Seeing as the Mayo champions have had equally dour finals over the last few years and not been blown away I doubt that.
    Ballaghadereen are too physically strong to be blown away by any team in Connaught. They've just comfortably dealt with Ballintubber let's give them a bit of credit here.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    If they play like they did today they really will be blown away by Bridgets or Salthill. Even Curry would fancy their chances next week

In fairness they didn't need to play any better than they did, Tubber never looked threatening at all. They tackled well and their defence was impressive. If they can find their scoring boots for the next game I can certainly see them progressing.

In fairness they didn't need to play any better than they did, Tubber never looked threatening at all. They tackled well and their defence was impressive. If they can find their scoring boots for the next game I can certainly see them progressing.

Hopefully. The worrying thing is that the conditions were perfect today and there was simply no excuse for some of the chances that they spurned. How would they cope on a wet and windy day?

I'll just put it down to an off day. You wouldn't see some of the misses by both teams at an under 14 game.

Salthill looked good last week, very fit and big team and able to kick scores. Armstrong would have beaten Ballagh on his own today. A lot of improvement to be made

Hopefully. The worrying thing is that the conditions were perfect today and there was simply no excuse for some of the chances that they spurned. How would they cope on a wet and windy day?

I'll just put it down to an off day. You wouldn't see some of the misses by both teams at an under 14 game.

Salthill looked good last week, very fit and big team and able to kick scores. Armstrong would have beaten Ballagh on his own today. A lot of improvement to be made

Yes, I even made that comment about the underage game to someone beside me! I agree the shooting today was simply terrible, no excuses. The umpire had difficulty locating the white flag when Ballagh finally scored in the 2nd half! At least they know what they need to work on for the next outing, any semi-decent team will punish them badly if they show the same form in front of goal.

Brigids (with a D, lads!) on form would be plenty able to blow away Ballagh if they didn't show something they haven't already this year, we're not talking about a team in Brigid's that's even happy with winning a Connacht title and would be up against a level of opponent most of the current team haven't ever faced, let alone with a Connacht title on the line. They beat an Elphin side that is probably around the same level as the current Ballagh panel by 15 points in the Roscommon semi and that was with Frankie suspended and about five key other players out or very iffy. Ballagh would need to copy Pearses' lead and play a defensive game that nullifies Senan Kilbride, but you need to be even more clinical in taking your own chances for that plan to have any shot at working.

Salthill's championship record even in Galway is far from fearsome but what they have done is take their opportunities when they crop up. On top of their usual suspects they now have Gary Cox as well, the ex-Roscommmon and international rules player. Either would be rightly favoured to beat Ballagh.

I know plenty about the Ballagh team and they are better than they showed today. It was an excellent achievement to win Mayo without Andy but if they were to really make a play for Connacht they would have needed him, he is the one who would be able to create the extra chances that you need to beat the sorts of teams that play football in November.

Obviously hope they get by Curry and get a Connacht final under their belts, there would be some craic in Ballagh if it was Brigids and themselves in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    Brigids (with a D, lads!) on form would be plenty able to blow away Ballagh if they didn't show something they haven't already this year, we're not talking about a team in Brigid's that's even happy with winning a Connacht title and would be up against a level of opponent most of the current team haven't ever faced, let alone with a Connacht title on the line. They beat an Elphin side that is probably around the same level as the current Ballagh panel by 15 points in the Roscommon semi and that was with Frankie suspended and about five key other players out or very iffy. Ballagh would need to copy Pearses' lead and play a defensive game that nullifies Senan Kilbride, but you need to be even more clinical in taking your own chances for that plan to have any shot at working.

Salthill's championship record even in Galway is far from fearsome but what they have done is take their opportunities when they crop up. On top of their usual suspects they now have Gary Cox as well, the ex-Roscommmon and international rules player. Either would be rightly favoured to beat Ballagh.

I know plenty about the Ballagh team and they are better than they showed today. It was an excellent achievement to win Mayo without Andy but if they were to really make a play for Connacht they would have needed him, he is the one who would be able to create the extra chances that you need to beat the sorts of teams that play football in November.

Obviously hope they get by Curry and get a Connacht final under their belts, there would be some craic in Ballagh if it was Brigids and themselves in the final.

Imagine 2 Rossie teams in that final ;)

Terrible game of football that today, then again the last 2 finals weren't much better. O'Connor and Moran were a loss to the game, thought Dillon was way off the mark, even before the clash of heads.
    Gibbons was the best midfielder there, Gerarthy seems to have put on a load of weight and outside of "tanking it" into the opposition, was immobile for a county standard player and offered Ballintubber nothing.
    Kilcullen played well but drifted in and out, thought Barry Regan was more deserving of the MOM, took some lovely scores and passed some great ball.

Can't say I saw anything there worth a run in the county team, the 17 year old O'Connor lad did well for his age. Maybe the Ballintubber no 6, Tom I think his name is, could be worth a punt, he seems solid and pacey and when he gets his hands on the ball he holds in, not like Vaughan of this season.

I see the cynical fouling of county has crept into club games now, pity that, should be dealt with more harshly by the ref.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

East Mayo now has the senior/intermediate and junior B champions. Hopefully the county panel might have a few more from these parts next year to keep Andy company. The Connacht title is Charlestowns to lose at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

how did Ballina get on at the weekend weren't they trying to say up senior after never going down.

how did Ballina get on at the weekend weren't they trying to say up senior after never going down.

They defeated Kiltane 2-15 to 1-5. Emigration is really hitting the clubs hard.

I'd imagine some from the Ballagh panel will have to get a look by Horan in the FBD (if ye are deemed worthy of entrance :pac:) and the NFL, Andy being the only Ballagh player at all near the starting line-up or bench doesn't seem right for two-time Mayo champions.

More than anything there will be county panel places up for grabs for the Ballagh players in the remaining games - Horan showed he values club performance highly this year when he drafted in Boyle and Conroy into the team after Davitts' AI final run.

• Advertisement

Rawhead wrote: »
    The Connacht title is Charlestowns to lose at this stage.

Would agree however it makes one wonder how they found themselves at intermediate level to begin with? only 3 years ago they were contesting the senior Connacht final.

Syferus wrote: »
    I'd imagine some from the Ballagh panel will have to get a look by Horan in the FBD (if ye are deemed worthy of entrance :pac:) and the NFL, Andy being the only Ballagh player at all near the starting line-up or bench doesn't seem right for two-time Mayo champions.

More than anything there will be county panel places up for grabs for the Ballagh players in the remaining games - Horan showed he values club performance highly this year when he drafted in Boyle and Conroy into the team after Davitts' AI final run.

Who though? There was no county standard footballer out there judging by yesterday. Unless someone from Ballagh hits some mighty heights in the next game or two none of them will be considered and rightly so. Kilcullen probably will but he's in or around the panel most years anyway. They're a decent club team with no real stand out players

Even for Tubber, Dillon was poor but it was probably down to awful players around him. Geraghty was poor and I agree with Yop looks out of shape.

St. Aidan's walked the Ros intermediate final yesterday and Francie Grehan has them in great form. They should make the Connacht final from the other side of the draw.

Carna Caiseal are a good resilient team who are always tough to beat. They've been very unlucky not to come up for a few years before now. The year they got relegated they made the county senior final

Charlestown made light work of them it seems so they'll surely win Connacht handy. How on earth did they get relegated in the first place? As was said they were in a Connacht senior final only 3 years ago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Charlestown went down because of a mix of complacency and exhaustion from football I'd say. 3 county finals in a row coupled with an aging team meant they lost the hunger really. The drop to intermediate, coupled with a few sly comments from one Ballaghdreen captain certainly focused the mind of the lads this year. They are going great and where missing 4 first team players yesterday. Again Anto Mulligan was outstanding and a deserved man of the match, If he switches on and puts in the effort he would be a great addition to Mayo.
    Ballina certainly seems to be going through a rough period and the rumors of internal divisions aren't helping things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Who though? There was no county standard footballer out there judging by yesterday.

This. The majority of those lads have been tried at county level 3-4 years ago when they were arguably at a higher peak than now. Great club players and a testament to what work at underage does (most of those lads won 2-3 U21/Minor titles in a row around 2000-2004 or so). But just not at that level for senior. If I was looking at any players it'd be possibly getting David Kilcullen back in the setup or maybe give either Keith/Philip Rodgers a go in the backs (but we're already very strong there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As predicted by a poster here last week Donie Buckley is off to Mayo as trainer, according to RTE, good choice I think

As predicted by a poster here last week Donie Buckley is off to Mayo as trainer, according to RTE, good choice I think

Too many cooks spoil the broth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How many cooks do ye have?

Just to reiterate what I said last week, I think this is a great appointment by Horan. Donie knows the game inside-out and is a top class coach.

I just hope this doesn't comeback to bite us on the ass down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just to reiterate what I said last week, I think this is a great appointment by Horan. Donie knows the game inside-out and is a top class coach.

I just hope this doesn't comeback to bite us on the ass down here.
    Well the fella ye got in is a more than capable replacement!

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Well the fella ye got in is a more than capable replacement!

True, I would have been happy enough if Donie was involved instead though, rate him every bit as highly.

Too many cooks spoil the broth?

What do you mean ?
    He is the physical trainer, as O'Neill was last year.
    The vast majority of counties have a physical trainer

What do you mean ?
    He is the physical trainer, as O'Neill was last year.
    The vast majority of counties have a physical trainer

Donie Buckley is a type of coach that likes to take control of the situation. Horan called it a good move because in truth his workload will be less but sometimes too many cooks can spoil the broth.

Donie Buckley is a type of coach that likes to take control of the situation. Horan called it a good move because in truth his workload will be less but sometimes too many cooks can spoil the broth.
    Sure wasn't there reports/rumours during the league campaign last year that Cian O'Neil was trying to take too much 'control' of the team affairs from James Horan. Yet when Mayo were winning we heard nothing about it..

At the end of the day, these type of motivational/fitness coaches have a role to a coaching set up which should intend to aid the manager in focusing on other areas like tactics. Its been working well for alot of teams nowadays. Hopefully Donie Buckley carries on from where O'Neil left off as he comes with a good recommendation

That's interesting.

Depending on who you listen to down here in Kerry Jack O' Conor got rid of Buckley because Jack likes to be the main man and Buckley was in some way undermining that.

And from the Irish Independent piece I posted last week he did not return to Kerry in 2012 ' when it became clear he was only required for a role as a selector'

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would like to think that Horan is clever enough to have outlined to this guy exactly what his role is going to be within the camp.

Buckley isn't really a fitness coach.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Buckley isn't really a fitness coach.

What has been his role in Kerry previously ?

I always thought was a fitness guy .

• Advertisement

What has been his role in Kerry previously ?

I always thought was a fitness guy .

Well he was involved in the fitness training alright, but he's a football coach rather than a physical trainer according to BJK anyway. I mean I'd be surprised if physical preparation was the scope of his role with you guys for next year.

Not that that's a bad thing, could see him having a positive impact on how the forward line plays the game in particular, Mayo don't have a whole lot to work on from midfield back.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Well he was involved in the fitness training alright, but he's a football coach rather than a physical trainer according to BJK anyway. I mean I'd be surprised if physical preparation was the scope of his role with you guys for next year.

Not that that's a bad thing, could see him having a positive impact on how the forward line plays the game in particular, Mayo don't have a whole lot to work on from midfield back.

Donie was doing specific skills coaching with Kerry, but believe me, he is more than capable of running the entire show in terms of conditioning for a GAA team. If it was up to me, he would have been far more involved in the fitness side of things with Kerry when he was there, (and I believe we would have been better for it) but there were personal issues with Jack O'Connor which prevented that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Four Allstars from Mayo. Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan and Dillon. Disappointing for Kevin McLoughlin, he deserved one imo.

Four Allstars from Mayo. Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan and Dillon. Disappointing for Kevin McLoughlin, he deserved one imo.

I'm also disappointed for McLoughlin, he would have been my first choice for Mayo, certainly he should have been ahead of Cafferkey and Keegan. If Mayo can stay within the top tiers he absolutely has to be next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

I'm also disappointed for McLoughlin, he would have been my first choice for Mayo, certainly he should have been ahead of Cafferkey and Keegan. If Mayo can stay within the top tiers he absolutely has to be next in line.

McLoughlin is hard done by here alright in my opinion, Keegan and Cafferkey have had exceptional years and are most deserving. I'd of had McLoughlin in ahead of Dillon, Dillon was very good up to AI final but was kept out of it by the Donegal defence, McLoughlin with those 2 points from play in the first half dragged us back out of the mire we were in.

Well done to Higgins, Caff, Keegan and Dillon on getting their All-Stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

McLoughlin is hard done by here alright in my opinion, Keegan and Cafferkey have had exceptional years and are most deserving. I'd of had McLoughlin in ahead of Dillon, Dillon was very good up to AI final but was kept out of it by the Donegal defence, McLoughlin with those 2 points from play in the first half dragged us back out of the mire we were in.

Well done to Higgins, Caff, Keegan and Dillon on getting their All-Stars.
    dillon was marked out of it in the the final,but the game he had against dub was why he got the allstar he was unreal.
    McLoughlin should have got 1,but there is plenty of time left for him to pick up a few

• Advertisement

Shame McLoughlin missed out but delighted a fellow Ballyhaunis man in Keith Higgins has got a deserved all star. First from the club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like Micheal Murphy's goal cost David Clarke his All Star.

Wouldn't say that. Durcan was always leading that race and it'd always have took a Mayo win for Clarke to overtake him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Baffled at McLoughlin not getting one.

One of the footballers of the year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Congrats to the four lads,well deserved.Shocked Kevin McLaughlin failed to get one,outstanding season.Really feel David Clarke was the stand out goalkeeper this year,since he came into the Mayo set up he has been up there with Cluxton as the top goalkeeper in the country,all the attributes...great shot stopper,excellent kickouts and very sound under the high ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement