Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Kevin McLouglin called up as a replacement All Star. A small consolation but consolation all the same!

How does that work?.

Personally I think it's a crime he didn't get one. Mayo's top player this year for me. Certainly deserved it ahead of Flynn too IM biased O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Replacement? For the All-Star tour? That doesn't mean he gets an actual All-Star, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, he doesn't get an All Star Award. There are several members of the 2011 and 2012 All Star teams who are not available to go on this trip. The replacement players are drafted in to replace them, so that there will be two 15 man teams (and subs) in the game. There are also some players who were nominated for the All Star team in both years. They can't play for both teams, so more replacements are needed to plug the holes there. I think the replacements players are drafted from the lists of players who were nominated for an All Star award, but didn't win one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Jamsie Burke playing some great stuff for Ballymun Kickhams over the last couple of months. Think he is only about 23/24. I know he was in the Mayo panel a couple of years ago, surely must be worth another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Jamsie Burke playing some great stuff for Ballymun Kickhams over the last couple of months. Think he is only about 23/24. I know he was in the Mayo panel a couple of years ago, surely must be worth another look.

Mayo will need to act swiftly as he could be asked into Dublin panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Somebody will have to get on the blower to James Horan.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Not a chance of it. Name the last non Dub that played for them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

D'Arcy?

Always a chance especially if player is performing well for Dublin's county champions. What's a non Dub? sure more than half of the country are living,working or was born up there. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

D'Arcy?

Declan was the first player that came to my mind as well! I'd imagine there was a good few of them over the years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Declan was the first player that came to my mind as well! I'd imagine there was a good few of them over the years!

Declan Darcy is Dublin born and bred. Brian Murphy who has an All-Ireland minor medal with Kerry in 1994 is the last non-Dub to play for them in the championship I would guess. He played in goal against Westmeath in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

James Burke looked good for Mayo a couple of years ago when Horan called him in. But I think he left the panel of his own accord due to personal commitments. He plays in a position that we are strong in but would be worth his place on the panel if he wanted to come back. It would involve a lot of travelling for the sake of being a squad player though - we have already seen this year with Mort and Hennelly that there is a reluctance to do the travelling from Dublin if it is only for a place on the bench.

I suppose we have a few players in Dublin now who would merit a place on both the Mayo and Dublin panels - I don't know if Dublin are interested in taking non-native players like that on these days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

James Burke looked good for Mayo a couple of years ago when Horan called him in. But I think he left the panel of his own accord due to personal commitments. He plays in a position that we are strong in but would be worth his place on the panel if he wanted to come back. It would involve a lot of travelling for the sake of being a squad player though - we have already seen this year with Mort and Hennelly that there is a reluctance to do the travelling from Dublin if it is only for a place on the bench.

I suppose we have a few players in Dublin now who would merit a place on both the Mayo and Dublin panels - I don't know if Dublin are interested in taking non-native players like that on these days though.

Highly unlikely. The hurling is slightly different though. I've been hugely impressed by Burke his season.

Those that chose to play for Western Gaels would rather play for the town team they grew up in. In the 90s i understand a second club in Ballaghaderreen (to play in the Roscommon championship) was to be set up but when it came before the Connacht GAA Galway,Leitrim voted against it for some reason?

Interesting article in today's Indo re Ballagh...http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-ballaghaderreen-border-legacy-throws-up-unique-provincial-final-3297242.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

seligehgit wrote: »

There seems to be a problem with the link, the article is here. I'll delete this post if you can get the above fixed (http://http//www.independent... an extra http in there I think)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-ballaghaderreen-border-legacy-throws-up-unique-provincial-final-3297242.html

Ah, the festival's first mention of Sean Kilbride in the nationals. The countdown to the inevitable interview peppered with sound-bites from John 'the last house in Mayo' O'Mahony has started.

There seems to be a problem with the link, the article is here. I'll delete this post if you can get the above fixed (http://http//www.independent... an extra http in there I think)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-ballaghaderreen-border-legacy-throws-up-unique-provincial-final-3297242.html

Bit late for edit,ta for the corrected link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Anyone know is the Connacht Final on TG4 tomorrow live or deferred?

Edit. Just found out. Munster hurling final is live "Connaught Hurling Final, 25.11.12" is deffered. (Copied and pasted from tg4 website!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

How many Connacht titles have Brigids won in their history?

How many Connacht titles have Brigids won in their history?

3 only Corofin,Clan na nGael have won more Connacht titles.

• Advertisement

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Anyone know is the Connacht Final on TG4 tomorrow live or deferred?

Edit. Just found out. Munster hurling final is live "Connaught Hurling Final, 25.11.12" is deffered. (Copied and pasted from tg4 website!)
    First time in years the Connacht football final isn't live. Right choice as i feel tomorrow's football game will be low scoring stop,start type of match where 10 to 12pts will probably be enough to win it.

Fair play to St. Brigid's,excellent performance.Hope they go all the way.No shame in Ballagh's defeat,beaten by a very good team.First half was excellent,petered out in the second half after St. Brigid's killed off the Ballagh challenge early on.All the injuries finally caught up on Ballagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The way some people in Ballagh demand to be allowed play for Roscommon, you'd think that it was some sort of surprise that the town is part of Mayo for GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Today, Ronan McGarrity has called time on his inter-county football career 8 years after making his senior championship debut in 2004. Suppose the injuries caught up with him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

I shouldn't even bother thinking never mind claiming about these stupid lists the Independent has, but how could anyone say Kerry were a better team than Mayo this year? Ranking Kerry 3rd and Mayo 4th? They give a lot of coverage to GAA in the Indo, but their analysis is appalling in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interview with him for 'The Western' carried in the 'Irish Examiner'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/horan-blasts-rte-all-ireland-bias-218947.html

Not sure what he is at here

He seems to be giving out about RTE not giving Mayo enough respect, but at the same time saying that it does not have any bearing on him

' you might think that the representation we get from the national media isn’t fair or reflective, but you’d waste your time if you went down that road. '

Is he not 'going down that road' now by talking about it ?

I can image the same happing again this year, media coverage wise I mean, which is no bad harm I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Interview with him for 'The Western' carried in the 'Irish Examiner'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/horan-blasts-rte-all-ireland-bias-218947.html

Not sure what he is at here

He seems to be giving out about RTE not giving Mayo enough respect, but at the same time saying that it does not have any bearing on him

' you might think that the representation we get from the national media isn’t fair or reflective, but you’d waste your time if you went down that road. '

Is he not 'going down that road' now by talking about it ?

I can image the same happing again this year, media coverage wise I mean, which is no bad harm I think.

He's not going down that road as he is doing an interview in a local paper not the national media, which is who he has he's gripe with.

Think he's been a bit paranoid myself but if it helps him motivate he's players and gives them that 'us against them' seige mentality then more power to him.

He's not going down that road as he is doing an interview in a local paper not the national media, which is who he has he's gripe with.

Think he's been a bit paranoid myself but if it helps him motivate he's players and gives them that 'us against them' seige mentality then more power to him.

It's what a lot of great players and teams in all sorts of sports do, create perceived slights (even though in Mayo's case it's very real) and exaggerate what is real. It helps gives you an edge. No harm in it at all. You need some sort of motivation after making it to the dance yet again and losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No real harm in it provided he doesn't actually believe it himself. Persecution complexes can be damaging to the psyche.

He's probably right about Mayo usually not being talked about in the build up to big games as much as the opposition in recent times, but in all cases there would have been pretty obvious and understandable reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Its only the league.... if it was an important match we'd have taken them ...... :P started out thiz way last year to so no worried yet!

That was James Horan's first defeat in the FBD. Michael Conroy was the only first choice starting forward and 0-8 showed. Emlyn Mulligan played captains role for his team he's good enough to start for any side in Connacht.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    It's what a lot of great players and teams in all sorts of sports do, create perceived slights (even though in Mayo's case it's very real) and exaggerate what is real. It helps gives you an edge. No harm in it at all. You need some sort of motivation after making it to the dance yet again and losing.

Think thats exactly what he is doing alright, good piece in the Sindo yesterday re how Trolley slated Mayo yet ignored Donegals fouling etc, wasn't pleasant, then again Trolley isn't pleasant either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well the reason Brolly picked Mayo stemmed from the final 10 minutes against Dublin. Brolly was highlighting that the 'Old Mayo' would have ushered at least one Dublin attack through for a goal. Whereas 'New Mayo' fouled and gave away frees for 1 pt.
    It didn't influence the final as in the first half all Mayos frees against and yellow cards were all correct decisions. I'm from Mayo and looked back at the game recently and the refereeing over the 70 mins favoured Mayo. Only bad miss for Mayo was a pretty obvious over aggressive tackling on Cillian OConnor near the endline but not much else. The second hit on Karl Lacy should have been a sending off (dangerous and deliberate). So you look at it and Mayo should have been going into the second half with 14 players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm not sure what to make of all of this but if I am right Horan is attacking Brolly for implying that Mayo are cynical i.e foul a lot and get away with it
    Brolly did make some comments on the Thursday prior to the semi final, on the Pat Kenny Show if I recall about the selection of the ref, and he implied that the Dublin players were quiet familiar and almost friendly with him, He them summarized that this would adversely affect Mayo because they will be pull up on each and very foul they commit, and they commit a lot more than anyone else.

He also had a rant on the RTE League Final highlights show about how Donal Vaugh went down too easily, after being held by the neck by Noel O'Laery
    In truth the league final was a clean game without any controversy for Brolly to jump up and down about, so he picked one odd incident to raise a fuss about.

I remember Horan from my youth, he does not come across as the kind of guy who would let something like what a pundit says get under hos skin, I reckon he is taking the piss.

Anyone in Ballinamore yesterday with any updates on new players?

This year changes I'd like to see:
    - Higgins to wing back to bring his attacking play further up the pitch. He rarely loses the ball and is an accurate passer.
    - Keegan to centre back (I just don't think Vaughan has the skill or agility if our aim is to win out the championship.)
    - Possibly two big men in the ff line. New rules on square ball mean this makes even more sense. COS, SOS and Barry Moran the options. If Freeman could ever come into some form again maybe.
    - Aidan O'Shea but put a workhorse with him who can cover the ground. Maybe Jason Gibbons is the most athletic of the options. As someone pointed out Barry Moran was rounded pretty easily by Karl Lacy to setup the first goal in the final.

Pretty decent match report from yesterday here if anyone's interested to read it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/fbd-league-round-2-leitrim-vs-mayo/

EDIT: Just to clarify, we actually had someone in the ground so it's not a sponge job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

- Higgins to wing back to bring his attacking play further up the pitch. He rarely loses the ball and is an accurate passer.
    - Keegan to centre back (I just don't think Vaughan has the skill or agility if our aim is to win out the championship.)
    - Possibly two big men in the ff line. New rules on square ball mean this makes even more sense. COS, SOS and Barry Moran the options. If Freeman could ever come into some form again maybe.
    - Aidan O'Shea but put a workhorse with him who can cover the ground. Maybe Jason Gibbons is the most athletic of the options. As someone pointed out Barry Moran was rounded pretty easily by Karl Lacy to setup the first goal in the final.

Good piece here by WJ;

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=12117

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty decent match report from yesterday here if anyone's interested to read it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/fbd-league-round-2-leitrim-vs-mayo/

EDIT: Just to clarify, we actually had someone in the ground so it's not a sponge job :)

Nice site first time I'v seen it. Do ye have a network of volunteers in different counties for reports?

From match report it seems Darren Coen was showing pretty well, good to see him back and scoring.

• Advertisement

Nice site first time I'v seen it. Do ye have a network of volunteers in different counties for reports?

From match report it seems Darren Coen was showing pretty well, good to see him back and scoring.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like the site. We've got a few changes in the pipeline in the next couple of weeks, basically adding a longer list of articles under the main switcher thingy so we've got more than just the five or six latest pieces on the front page. We'll be launching individual county pages shortly as well hopefully.

Yeah we're relying on volunteers at the moment for articles as we haven't looked to sell any advertising space yet, once we start selling we'll be looking to start paying contributors on a fee per article basis. Obviously we don't have people in every county unfortunately but we try to put together original pieces as far as we can.

We're always looking for contributors by the way, so if anybody knows anybody who'd be interested in building up a portfolio with a view to full-time journalism please do drop me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Higgins at centre back is a different animal of a player but he's a reliable corner back plus his pace helps counter alot of the Mayo attacks from deep. So I'd say its unlikely to happen other than the odd league/fbd game

Reading reports on GMIT game. Major changes were:
    - Lee Keegan wing forward
    - Richie Feeney centre forward

I wonder would Keegan be useful as a hard running centre forward? We were very light last year with Dillon, Doc, McGloughlin. Also from Dublin/Donegal games it's apparent we need at least one hard tackling half forward.
    From my memory Keegan scored most of his attempts in last years championship. Was picking up 1 -2 points per game.

At the same time you had two near all stars in Dillon and McLoughlin in there. One thing I would say is that Mayo seem to be very well stocked in the half back area so if they could adapt one of those guys to give more depth to the forward line that could only help.

Incidentally, I meant to post this earlier but forgot - match report from last night:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/fbd-league-mayo-vs-gmit-report/

Story of Mayo county and Club football, stop in any reasonable size town in Mayo there is a near enough county standard back somewhere about.
    Then you'd have a smaller county like Westmeath at their peak had class forwards and lacked coverage in the backs.
    Maybe it's the competitive, hard hitting nature of Mayo club football? Think derbies like Cross - Knockmore, Ballina - Cross.

Keith Higgins,Alan Dillon were unused subs last night i guess both will start v the rossies on Sunday.

Long season ahead so they might be spared yet. Plus Dillon is 31 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Thought Higgins came on in the 2nd half no?

Thought Higgins came on in the 2nd half no?
    You're right and it's a home fixture for him on Sunday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement