Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Mostly the 2010 Connacht minor winning team, they lost to Tyrone (eventual All Ireland winners) in All Ireland semi final in a game they should have won.

Tyrone knocked out of U21 championship tonight. I'm not sure can you use minor results as reference, some players and teams improve once they move up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I think If Horan has an overall plan for mayo he'll put it into play against donegal purely for mental reasons. Fair enough he tried out a new team (position wise) and it didn't work, but I do think/hope against Donegal he will play it safe and put the players in positions where they have proved themselves or where he knows that they will work. I think he has to do it against donegal because a win against them would help build the counfidence up after last years final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mostly the 2010 Connacht minor winning team, they lost to Tyrone (eventual All Ireland winners) in All Ireland semi final in a game they should have won.

Galway dealt a hammering to Sligo on Monday but until we see them against Mayo at the weekend it's hard to tell if that means Galway are awesome or Sligo are just very poor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Down losing was no harm. They are on 2 points now with ourselves and Kerry having played a game more and both have much worse scoring difference.
    We NEED to win tomorrow and will be on 4 points with Donegal, then go to Cork and depending if Kerry lose tomorrow we can probably afford to lose and not get relegated! :D

Heard from a good source today that Horan's pedigree is dropping rapidly within Mayo GAA circles and that a win tomorrow is "required". Though we will see.

Grand. Send Jamesy our way before he wrecks the county. Wouldn't like Mayo failing so badly because of such a poor manager.

Some 'supporters' have memories like goldfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sounds like bar stool talk, probably overheard close to last orders.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sounds like bar stool talk, probably overheard close to last orders.

Not bar stool talk. I don't do barstool talk. As I said, a very good source.

At least say what level you're talking about? Club officials, county officials? Would there be bad blood left over after Horan pushed back for better funding after the AI final?

Official level, in camp rows, player disharmony, staff disharmony.
    We will see what happens, I think it will be a bad mistake to drop him. But it seems a ready made replacement is lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It would be disgraceful to get rid of Horan. After last year the least he deserves is another crack at an All-Ireland. The league hasn't been great this year but we lost matches that on another day could have easily won. I can't see it happening even if we were to get relegated.
    Looking forward to tomorrow now. We have every chance of staying up if we can beat Donegal, hopefully the players are up for it, I've no doubt they will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    We will see what happens, I think it will be a bad mistake to drop him. But it seems a ready made replacement is lined up.

It would be a real shame if that was the case, for some odd reason I though that there was something different in Mayo this last few years..

Anyway Down loosing was good but is the tie-breaker head to head or points difference ?
    If it's head to head and we end up on the same points as Down, they win.

It would be a real shame if that was the case, for some odd reason I though that there was something different in Mayo this last few years..

Anyway Down loosing was good but is the tie-breaker head to head or points difference ?
    If it's head to head and we end up on the same points as Down, they win.

The tie-breaker is head-to-head when it's two teams on equal points, if there's more than two it goes to points difference.

Syferus wrote: »
    The tie-breaker is head-to-head when it's two teams on equal points, if there's more than two it goes to points difference.

I think it is ya, I think thats how we got the semi's ahead of Dublin last season.

Looking at the next fixtures,
    Donegal home to Dublin - You would see Dublin not worrying too much here as they are through now.
    Cork - Mayo - Cork if they win today will be through.
    Tyrone - Kerry - Tyrone again will be through but they don't do "gimmes"
    Down home to Kildare - Tough one to call but Down were not bad last night.

If Donegal "want" to and they get 2 wins they can still qualify for the semis. Though I suspect they dont want to.

Todays results are pivotal.

Time for the team to step up now and play like we know they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

At this stage I think Kerry finishing level on points with us would be a good thing, it would nullify the threat of Down relegating us on the head-to-head. If Mayo win today and Kerry lose, we'll all be praying for a Kerry win next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any news on a team?

1) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites (Captain)
    2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    13) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    14) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Kevin Keane - Westport
    18) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    19) Shane McHale - Knockmore
    20) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    21) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    22) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
    23) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    24) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    25) Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Anyone know if this game is on TG4 today?

c_man wrote: »
    Anyone know if this game is on TG4 today?

I believe it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yop wrote: »
    Absolute bull crap.

One of the selectors works with my brother in law, and according to him the panel were very dissapointed when Cian O' Neill left as he was well respected by the players. This had nothing to do with Horan.

However Horan moved quickly and they are delighted with how Buckley has slotted in so far.

Apparently he is very hands on sort of trainer, he is practially down in the mud with the players as they go through their winter physical programme.

I would suggest you back up your claims in more detail or stop gossiping like an old woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there anywhere online to watch today's match ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oops did not realise it was on TV !
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

anyone have the card count for the donegal game.guessing its a ridiculous amount at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Thank god for that win. Now down to Cork in two weeks for the decider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Some amount of heart and hunger shown by Mayo. Delighted, great win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Indie. wrote: »
    anyone have the card count for the donegal game.guessing its a ridiculous amount at this stage

I think it was some weird sort of celebration of the arrival of the black card.

Anyone who thinks that changes werent needed after watching this game would need their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Indie. wrote: »

7 yellows each, and 1 red each

Horan should definitely stay manager as so much can change in the next few weeks. ...

Passing into the forwards was disgraceful. Forwards werent making space, maybe they shoul be moved back closer to the half forward position so they can actually run somewhere to get away from their marker.And also casual/laziness of players not running on once they passed the ball let us down.

MC LOUGHLIN had a great game I thought. Aidan O shea was under par and I thought keegan made some very stupid mistakes and decisions. The defence in general was very good especially in the first half.

Bit sickenin asweell that we still cant seem to score points from play. Tone up on these things and we will do grand. If we dont we wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

tacofries wrote: »
    Horan should definitely stay manager as so much can change in the next few weeks. ...

What?? His position certainly wasnt or isnt under threat,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have all the photos of todays match uploaded now, http://pix.ie/mayomick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

All about the result, delighted.Keith Higgins was magnificent, Barry Moran was immense. Hopefully Aidan o Shea will revert to his normal position, Seamus put in a solid shift in the second half.We are still largely incapable of kicking long distance points from play, forwards are'nt making the ball stick when it's played in.Mindful that oftentimes the passes are very poor.Too often we turn back into trouble rather than feeding the runners resulting in endless turnovers.What happened to Evan Regan from last week, he did not get a look in?Fingers crossed we get a result in Cork, they did us no favours today.The sooner the black card is introduced the better!

What?? His position certainly wasnt or isnt under threat,

Amother poster said it was and I was saying it shouldnt be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Cant believe Cillian O'Connor was made play today's game. Shocking from Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

closeline wrote: »
    Cant believe Cillian O'Connor was made play today's game. Shocking from Horan.

Well not really, these scenarios are quite common thanks to a fixture calendar that is all over the place and in fairness, Horan wouldn't have risked him if he thought he wasn't able. But without him it's unlikely Mayo would have won today and he did take him off after 50 mins.

DELIGHTED with that win, hard fought, conditions on the pitch were cat with the wind and in the stand it was hard to appreciate it.
    We looked edgy and nervous but as we have found to our cost all through the league and the AI final that goals win matches.
    B Moran had a cracking game and McLoughs is coming back to himself. A win is a win we have it in our own hands now.

Duffy as per usual had a shocker, yellow cards which could have been a red and yellows for hard challenges, lack consistency and did us no favors.

Need to keep our div 1 status.

Saw the second half on TV and really enjoyed it.

Though the build up to the goal was superb, but have to admit the finish was a little opportunistic.

Though they fought well all over the filed, turned over a lot of ball by really getting stuck in.

The forwards again struggled, fair enough Donegal are good defenders but some of the long rang shots and long range shot selection was poor.
    Shooting from range is a great benefit in these days where you have swarm defences that are hard to get behind.

Really looking forward to going to the Cork game,

I take it a win in Cork would almost guarantee us 4th place and a semi final berth, based on the following

1. We would be level on pts (6) with Cork but would have beaten them on head to head and on score difference, Cork are -5, Mayo are +2
    2. Donegal would have to beat Dublin by 3 or more points more than Mayo beat Cork, as their score difference is 0 and Mayo's is +2
    3. Kerry would have to beat Tyrone by a million points more than Mayo beat Cork

A loss, and a win by Donegal and Kerry, would relegate Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The ideal situation at this stage of the season, with senior players still injured etc., might be to end up in fifth or sixth place in the table - so not in the semis but still in Div 1 (which looks like it won't be as competitive next year). However, looking at the fixtures, a win will almost certainly put us in the semis while a defeat (which is more likely given that we're away against Cork who have something to play for) could well relegate us. It would be unfortunate to be relegated, but we really should have at least six points by now, so we will only have ourselves to blame if we go down.

Also, it seems very strange that we could reach the semis with only three wins - teams that have been more consistent than us should be rewarded for that. They should either go back to a striaght final between the top two, or have semis with the top 3 from div1 and the winner of div2 involved.

Very fine line in it now. We can get to the semi's as you said or get relegated!

I see the in the hurling in Div 1 that every team can still get relegated or into the semis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Barlett wrote: »
    Well not really, these scenarios are quite common thanks to a fixture calendar that is all over the place and in fairness, Horan wouldn't have risked him if he thought he wasn't able. But without him it's unlikely Mayo would have won today and he did take him off after 50 mins.

Just dont understand why he has to be played in a league game though. Cork dont do it, others dont. Just cant understand this. Talk about player burnout.

The ideal situation at this stage of the season, with senior players still injured etc., might be to end up in fifth or sixth place in the table - so not in the semis but still in Div 1 (which looks like it won't be as competitive next year). However, looking at the fixtures, a win will almost certainly put us in the semis while a defeat (which is more likely given that we're away against Cork who have something to play for) could well relegate us. It would be unfortunate to be relegated, but we really should have at least six points by now, so we will only have ourselves to blame if we go down.

Also, it seems very strange that we could reach the semis with only three wins - teams that have been more consistent than us should be rewarded for that. They should either go back to a striaght final between the top two, or have semis with the top 3 from div1 and the winner of div2 involved.

But no one other than Dublin and Tyrone, and to a lesser extent Kildare have been consistent so if Mayo are the ones with the most points and the better scoring difference of the remainder then they deserve to come 4th.

The league semi-final was only reintroduced last year and any league where half the teams qualify for play-offs will always mean an inconsistent team will get the final place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

But no one other than Dublin and Tyrone, and to a lesser extent Kildare have been consistent so if Mayo are the ones with the most points and the better scoring difference of the remainder then they deserve to come 4th.

The league semi-final was only reintroduced last year and any league where half the teams qualify for play-offs will always mean an inconsistent team will get the final place.

Indeed - my point being that there really shouldn't be a situation where half the teams in the division reach the next stage. You could also make an argument for just one team being relegated - relegating 25% of the teams again seems excessive and there's a large gap between the overall standard in Divs 1 and 2. Regardless of who goes up from 2 it seems that the top tier will be weakened by the loss of two of Mayo, Kerry, Donegal and Down regardless of which of the Div 2 teams replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I do think that having semi-finals in an 8-team league is excessive. I get what they're trying to do, everyone loves a knockout fixture, but it makes part of the league somewhat redundant.

I don't agree that only 1 team should go down...2 teams is fair, to change things up from year to year. If only one team got promoted from each division, teams would be languishing in the same lower division for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Can I just ask, do head-to-head results come before points difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Yes, head to head comes first as far as I know. So if Mayo beat Cork, we're in a semi, because we'll have beaten everyone else who might end up on 6 points with us, i.e. Cork, Donegal, Kerry.

I'd like to see us get to a semi; an extra game to get a bit more match practice in and hopefully go on a bit of a roll following the poor start would be nice. Even if we lost the semi, another good hard game would do us good!

Someone last week posted that its head to head when two are tied and points diff if more than two are tied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Looking back at Sunday we were far from great going forward but our defence was solid and that proved to be enough to get the points. I think I wasn't the only one relieved when Varley put the last score over

Kerry are now 8/15 to get relegated while we're 10/3 which says a lot. I'm not that bothered about making the semis but really want us to maintain our Division one status. Hopefully we can put it up to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Someone last week posted that its head to head when two are tied and points diff if more than two are tied

This is correct.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Looking back at Sunday we were far from great going forward but our defence was solid and that proved to be enough to get the points. I think I wasn't the only one relieved when Varley put the last score over

Kerry are now 8/15 to get relegated while we're 10/3 which says a lot. I'm not that bothered about making the semis but really want us to maintain our Division one status. Hopefully we can put it up to Cork.

Mayo are in a very odd situation here

If they win then they are more than likely going to the semi-finals whether they like it or not, unless Donegal beat Dublin by 3 more points than Mayo beat Cork.

If they loose they are may get relegated.

So a win is a must to stave off a possible relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hardy buck salmon

What do we think lads?

Mayo for Sam 2013?

• Advertisement

What do we think lads?

Mayo for Sam 2013?

Since you are new, we will give you the floor to give your insight. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement