Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hardy buck salmon

Well I didn't get to see the last match against Donegal, apart from Conroy's goal - which looked fairly promising. A good dispossesion in defence followed by a good string of passes leading up to the goal.

I was really rooting for the lads last year and I was devastated last September. You see, I haven't really been following the team this year, and I'm starting to have second thoughts on a bet I placed on them so I was really looking for anyones opinion - was I stupid to place a bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Keith Higgins,Barry Moran both injured playing for their clubs. Big losses if Mayo don't have them v Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Barry Moran's injury is supposed to be pretty serious, lucky we have good cover at midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Looking on the bright side of it
    1. At least A OS will now start at midfield.
    2. It gives a Gibbons another chance to prove himself.
    3. Shane McHale can slot in at corner back, how come he has not featured much by the way, or is he injured ?

Still a game Mayo can win, not sure what Cork are up to after their display v Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Got a hunch Cork may not be up for this one.

They have won the last 3, probably not too bothered about a 4 in a row. I think they will be happy to keep their profile low especially with Kerry staring at relegation.

• Advertisement

Keith Higgins,Barry Moran both injured playing for their clubs. Big losses if Mayo don't have them v Cork.

May as well add Cathal Freeman and Jason Doherty to that list according to the RTE website

Might be a good chance to give new players a run out and hope Tyrone beat Kerry just to be on the safe side.

According to this Moran has knee and ankle ligament damage which does not sound good, but then again his club is Castlebar, not Ballintubber, as is in the report, so I hope they are wrong with the injury details too :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0402/379372-moran-and-freeman-add-to-mayo-woes/
    RTE wrote:
    Barry Moran and Cathal Freeman have joined Mayo’s lengthening injury list.
    Moran suffered knee and ankle ligament damage while playing for his club Ballintubber over the weekend and has been ruled out of Sunday’s Allianz Football League clash against Cork.
    Keith Higgins remains out with his hamstring injury, while Freeman suffered a broken collar bone on club duty with Aghmore
    Andy Moran and Alan Dillon are already sidelined and full-forward Jason Doherty is also now an injury concern.

Well I didn't get to see the last match against Donegal, apart from Conroy's goal - which looked fairly promising. A good dispossesion in defence followed by a good string of passes leading up to the goal.

I was really rooting for the lads last year and I was devastated last September. You see, I haven't really been following the team this year, and I'm starting to have second thoughts on a bet I placed on them so I was really looking for anyones opinion - was I stupid to place a bet?

No you were not stupid to place that bet, and if you placed it e\w then you were even wiser.

The reality is that this years Championship is light on contenders and I have been saying that on other threads for a long time now.

Mayo are well capable of beating any team in the country this year.

Anyone see us having trouble against Galway in the Championship?

I think we are a much better team, but I think it'll be close as if Galway lose, they know their years over really

Anyone see us having trouble against Galway in the Championship?

I think we are a much better team, but I think it'll be close as if Galway lose, they know their years over really

Not worried about Galway

I think Mayo will win it handy in the end, they are a far better and far more experienced team.

I know it's in Salthill but if Mayo are not good enough to beat Galway and win the Connaught championship then the last 2 season under Horan would have been the greatest aboration in the history of mankind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Not worried about Galway

I think Mayo will win it handy in the end, they are a far better and far more experienced team.

I know it's in Salthill but if Mayo are not good enough to beat Galway and win the Connaught championship then the last 2 season under Horan would have been the greatest anomaly in the history of mankind

We are the better team but the closer it comes the more we will start to worry because Galway have home advantage and would love nothing more than to beat us. The last time we played them in Salthill we were relieved to get away with a one point win, I'd obviously take the same right now.

As for Cork on Sunday, the injuries to Higgins and Moran are a blow. You'd feel bad for Moran because he was superb against Donegal, the lad has no luck. I hope he makes a quick recovery and same goes for the other lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Third season syndrome seems to effect a lot of teams, the third year of long seasons and training do take something from teams because you rarely see a team throw three impressive championships together. Like ourselves a lot of Mayo players have to travel down from Dublin for training so that only heightens the pressure.

I can easily see Mayo losing in Connacht but still be knocking around come the August bank holiday and given Connacht teams' terrible Qualifier records that may be progress of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Not worried about Galway

I know it's in Salthill but if Mayo are not good enough to beat Galway and win the Connaught championship then the last 2 season under Horan would have been the greatest aboration in the history of mankind

A game in the middle of May away to Galway without possibly some key players will be tough one for Mayo.

It's not that long ago that Mayo struggled to put away a poor Galway side in McHale park (remember all those missed frees) and the game before it Mayo needed extra time to beat London. Mayo weren't overly impressive in the last two Connacht final either. I think most would agree over the last two season Mayo have played their best football outside of Connacht.

Syferus wrote: »
    Third season syndrome seems to effect a lot of teams, the third year of long seasons and training do take something from teams because you rarely see a team throw three impressive championships together. Like ourselves a lot of Mayo players have to travel down from Dublin for training so that only heightens the pressure.

I can easily see Mayo losing in Connacht but still be knocking around come the August bank holiday and given Connacht teams' terrible Qualifier records that may be progress of its own.

What is 'third season syndrome' ?
    I have heard of 'second season syndrome' used in reference to soccer teams that over achieve in their first season in a higher division and then fall back and struggle in the second season.
    Reading in the mid 2000s and Ipswich a few years earlier would be good examples of this.
    But I have never heard of 'third season syndrome' in any sport, can you give us a few GAA examples there buddy ?
    A game in the middle of May away to Galway without possibly some key players will be tough one for Mayo.

It's not that long ago that Mayo struggled to put away a poor Galway side in McHale park (remember all those missed frees) and the game before it Mayo needed extra time to beat London. Mayo weren't overly impressive in the last two Connacht final either. I think most would agree over the last two season Mayo have played their best football outside of Connacht.

Ok so lets base analysis on the current Mayo team and their abilities on Horans first game two seasons ago.
    If I recall Mayo hammered Galway in Castelbar in 2011, they totally blew them away in the second half.
    Yes the Connaught finals have been poor spectacles but Mayo were the better team in both of them showing far more experience v Roscommon in the first one and apart from the early exchanges were far better than Sligo, the introduction of AOS at half time being a big plus for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Ok so lets base analysis on the current Mayo team and their abilities on Horans first game two seasons ago.
    If I recall Mayo hammered Galway in Castelbar in 2011, they totally blew them away in the second half.
    Yes the Connaught finals have been poor spectacles but Mayo were the better team in both of them showing far more experience v Roscommon in the first one and apart from the early exchanges were far better than Sligo, the introduction of AOS at half time being a big plus for Mayo.
    A 6 point win it was. One of the reason Mayo were huge outsiders against Cork in the 2011 semi final was because they weren't convincing in Connacht championship and that includes the Galway match. Yes they used their experience to get over the line in both Connacht finals and i think they will need all of that experience against Galway in May.

What is 'third season syndrome' ?
    I have heard of 'second season syndrome' used in reference to soccer teams that over achieve in their first season in a higher division and then fall back and struggle in the second season.
    Reading in the mid 2000s and Ipswich a few years earlier would be good examples of this.
    But I have never heard of 'third season syndrome' in any sport, can you give us a few GAA examples there buddy ?

Mayo 1998, Galway 2002, you do know how rare it is for a Connacht team to win their province three times in a row, right? Even the Galway dual-AI winning team never managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

There is no such thing as third season syndrome or second season syndrome for that matter. Dublin won in Gilroy's third year, Donegal won in McGuinness' second year...you're either good enough to win an All-Ireland or your not.

That said, I think people are in danger of becoming over-confident about the game in Galway...regardless of what the standard of the Galway team is at the moment that all goes out the window in a Mayo - Galway match. There is nothing easy about going to Pearse Stadium especially in our first game of the Championship and the team will need to be in top shape to prevent an ambush. But if they win that I would expect them to win Connaught.

Barlett wrote: »
    There is no such thing as third season syndrome or second season syndrome for that matter. Dublin won in Gilroy's third year, Donegal won in McGuinness' second year...you're either good enough to win an All-Ireland or your not.

That said, I think people are in danger of becoming over-confident about the game in Galway...regardless of what the standard of the Galway team is at the moment that all goes out the window in a Mayo - Galway match. There is nothing easy about going to Pearse Stadium especially in our first game of the Championship and the team will need to be in top shape to prevent an ambush. But if they win that I would expect them to win Connaught.

Dublin have little travel concerns and regularly engaged in early season two-a-days under Gilroy, something that's almost impossible for a Mayo panel to do properly given how many are based in Dublin. That Dublin faded last year also speaks to how all that effort had started to weigh the team down if not physically, mentally. You become fatigued by anything if you're engaged with it for such an extended period. Gilroy even tried to guard against it by winding down how intense the training was but clearly he didn't find the right balance. McGuiness' semi-mythical training sessions were also wound down somewhat last season after his first year so as to change the tempo and not bury the panel into the ground after all the work they'd put in the previous year.

To ignore the reality that back-to-back extended runs in the championship (or even more if a county is so privileged) make it tougher for teams to put in the same level of effort - or be as 'fresh' - is pure folly, to be honest.

You have to tailor training with an eye on the road that's been run to get the best out of players after extended championships - Kevin McStay didn't have any organised gym sessions for the St. Brigid's team this season because he knew how much time and effort the panel had put in the previous two seasons and that asking for the same sort of things again would probably result in a below-par team taking the field.

You can be very sure Horan is actively trying to fight against the same problems with Mayo this season.

Two years, three years, four years, whatever labels you put on it it's a very real aspect of the sport that managers throughout the country try to combat every year. Does it damn a team to failure? Of course not, but it's yet another hurdle that needs to be crossed and one that can have a huge effect on teams.

True, it is tougher but the days of coming from nowhere to win an All-Ireland are long gone...good teams tend to be able to compete at the top level for a much longer period of time now...Tyrone, Armagh, Kerry,Cork, Dublin have all proven that you can compete in the later stages of the championship for a few years at a time.

I'm not arguing that it gets tougher as the years go by but 'syndrome' or similar labels are usually a problem for one-hit wonder teams...and if a team is good such an obstacle won't be a problem.

My point is if Mayo implode this year it will show that they aren't as good as we thought, and if they are good enough fatigue won't be an issue.

To cut that all down my actual point is, if Mayo are as good as we all hope they are, obstacles such as fatigue should not be an issue in getting out of Connaught...it may be a problem in the Semi-Finals etc but a good team should be well capable of getting out of their province.

LOL.

Benchmarking preperation for All Ireland contenders against club teams....

Some posts just get weirder and weirder and weirder.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    LOL.

Benchmarking preperation for All Ireland contenders against club teams....

Some posts just get weirder and weirder and weirder.

The irony. I'm not even going to bite - leaving this hanging in the air is more than enough.

• Advertisement

Mayo 1998, Galway 2002, you do know how rare it is for a Connacht team to win their province three times in a row, right? Even the Galway dual-AI winning team never managed it.

Ok so from those examples you are admitting there is no such thing as this 'third season syndrome', because the above examples bare no relationship to the current state of Mayo or Connaught football.

I'm well aware that 3 in a row Connaught championships are rare but based on the current state of teams in Connaught Mayo are streets ahead of the rest and therefore I fully expect them to win it.

Dublin have little travel concerns and regularly engaged in early season two-a-days under Gilroy, something that's almost impossible for a Mayo panel to do properly given how many are based in Dublin. That Dublin faded last year also speaks to how all that effort had started to weigh the team down if not physically, mentally. You become fatigued by anything if you're engaged with it for such an extended period. Gilroy even tried to guard against it by winding down how intense the training was but clearly he didn't find the right balance. McGuiness' semi-mythical training sessions were also wound down somewhat last season after his first year so as to change the tempo and not bury the panel into the ground after all the work they'd put in the previous year.

To ignore the reality that back-to-back extended runs in the championship (or even more if a county is so privileged) make it tougher for teams to put in the same level of effort - or be as 'fresh' - is pure folly, to be honest.

You have to tailor training with an eye on the road that's been run to get the best out of players after extended championships - Kevin McStay didn't have any organised gym sessions for the St. Brigid's team this season because he knew how much time and effort the panel had put in the previous two seasons and that asking for the same sort of things again would probably result in a below-par team taking the field.

You can be very sure Horan is actively trying to fight against the same problems with Mayo this season.

Two years, three years, four years, whatever labels you put on it it's a very real aspect of the sport that managers throughout the country try to combat every year. Does it damn a team to failure? Of course not, but it's yet another hurdle that needs to be crossed and one that can have a huge effect on teams.

The drop off in performance in 2012 by Dublin was due to the fact that they won in 2011, not burn out. In 2012 the hunger was not there, it's only natural and will happen to Donegal this year too.

Mayo are not burning out too early, they are very young and on an upward trajectory

2011 semi Final, 2012 Final, I fully expect them to reach the final again in 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Team announced for Sunday:

1) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites (Captain)
    2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Shane McHale - Knockmore
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    13) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    14) Alan Freeman - Aghmore
    15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Kevin Keane - Westport
    18) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    19) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    20) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    21) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    22) Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    23) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    24) Brian Gallagher - Claremorris
    25) Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

McHale in for Higgins, Sheamie in for Moran and Freeman in for Doherty. Not our strongest team but I still think we're well capable of beating Cork, just need to put in the work as we did against Donegal. No sign of Dillon on the bench either, it had been speculated during the week that he might have made the subs.

Not sure how that midfield will fare against Walsh and Canty.

Like the last poster said Mayo can win this if they put in the same work rate as last time out.
    Hopefully they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Lads where can we watch the match tomorrow live? Would it be on in pubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

tacofries wrote: »
    Lads where can we watch the match tomorrow live? Would it be on in pubs??

Not on live tomorrow,tryone and kerry being shown live and cork v mayo will be on tnag after that match but not live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

eastmayo wrote: »
    Not on live tomorrow,tryone and kerry being shown live and cork v mayo will be on tnag after that match but not live.

Do you know if that is the full game of just highlights?

Do you know if that is the full game of just highlights?

Full game....so plenty time for pints...

Some key players out however i think that Mayo team is strong enough to beat Cork tomorrow. Last year 7pts was enough for semi final spot this year 6 points will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really nervous about today,I wish I was as confident as the rest of you guys.Shall be glued to TG4 and listening to MWR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Get in!! Fair play to the Mayo lads in Cork. Fought like warriors for that after an awful start. Delighted

A tremendous performance, really determined performance. Dublin now next Sunday but anything after this is a bonus.

Was at the match, nearly froze

Great win in the end, but terrible first 30 mins
    They really upped their game in the second half, were far more aggressive at the back and did not commit stupid turnovers, the wind helped too.

They have achieved what they wanted in the league I think, try out a few options, stay in Div 1 and get to semis was a bonus.

Great win Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well done the lads, great to grind that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

<=== Great result, fair play to Horan for getting the blood flowing in the second half, another bogey team bites the dust.

Whatever happens next Sunday, the team is in decent shape heading to Salthill in 6 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Whatever happens next Sunday, the team is in decent shape heading to Salthill in 6 weeks time.

Mayo will be the hottest favourites seen in a Galway-Mayo game for many a year.

Our lads (Galway) were very poor again today, wiped out in midfield and conceded a whopping 21 points (many of them soft easy scores - it wasn't that Armagh were brilliant or anything).

Home advantage plus the tradition and rivalry of these clashes might see Galway up their game a bit and keep it reasonably close but right now I can't see how Mayo could lose this one. I have to admit ye're a much superior team at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

On the way home from cork, we gave it everything in the second half.

Cillians two sideline frees were as good as you'll see.

We might wander up to Dublin next Sunday for a look,:)

Just watched the match there after managing to avoid the result all day.. Absolutely delighted/relieved !!!

HON MAIGH EO .... :D

Fair play to all who travelled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fair play to all who travelled!

Agreed. Outnumbered Cork support I heard?? Fairly pathetic on their part for a home game.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Agreed. Outnumbered Cork support I heard?? Fairly pathetic on their part for a home game.
    Mid-west Radio estimated about 1000 Mayo fans in attendance, you could notice the louder cheers for the Mayo scores across the air waves.

Is there any reason why this wasn't played in Páirc Uí Rinn?

A small crowd like today's was lost in Páirc Uí Caoimh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Only managed to get a look at full Mayo Donegal game last night. Few thoughts:
    - The bench is better than last year due to SOS, Tom Cunniffe being back from start of season
    - AOS at centre forward might be working, he's playing a fairly free role there and at times we have decent spells of dominating the kickout with effectively 3 midfielders.
    - Team does look to be in great shape, very noticeable with AOS, SOS, Barrett, B Moran looks a different athlete altogether (pity injured now)
    - Michael Conroy, Cillian O'Connor looking effective from play
    - Thought Cathal Carolan played well, doesn't lose posession and strong on the ball
    Extra games now ideal preparation for Galway. I like the fact now that we have plenty of cover for injuries.
    Example Donegal will be pretty threadbare without McGee and Lacey and you could see the loss of Laceys passing was telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fantastic performance by the lads,really dug out a result in the second half.Semi final a real bonus.Cillian o Connor's two sideline scores were out of this world!Respect to all who made the long trip to Cork.

We will be in good form for Galway now hopefully!

Not too concerned by what happens in the league semi now as long as we have a good performance, anything from here is a bonus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Long day and hell that was cold but MASSIVE result for us and Horan. Looked a totally different team today as we fought our assess off. All I wanted today was to stay in Div 1, the semi's while good to get into to be very honest are nothing but a distraction and we really don't want another league final, then again if we win it who cares! :D

Thought McLoughs was immense today as was O'Connor. The 2 frees reminded of Maurice Fitz and the sidelines he scored (against us also! :( )

Is semi next sunday?

eastmayo wrote: »
    Is semi next sunday?

Tis indeed.. croke park. Time to be confirmed! !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its a balls, my missus is due and I can't see me chancing been away again :) Long time since I missed us in Croker!!! Going to kill me.

yop wrote: »
    Its a balls, my missus is due and I can't see me chancing been away again :) Long time since I missed us in Croker!!! Going to kill me.

Im sure the wait at home Will bring you as much satisfaction as the match...... either way it will earn you brownie points for the final haha. I think I may hav sunday of so I will hopefully make it! Fingers crossed!!

Im sure the wait at home Will bring you as much satisfaction as the match...... either way it will earn you brownie points for the final haha. I think I may hav sunday of so I will hopefully make it! Fingers crossed!!

Stop, Mayo to win an AI would bring me a 3rd child in the form of Sam :D

I think it would be better to play these semi finals away from Croke park. Somewhere with 25-30k full house will bring a better atmosphere. Div 1 is now secured for next year it doesn't really matters what happens v Dublin the game v Galway in May is more important.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement