Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Syferus or someone else here talking up his own team would quality as arrogance for a whole county and lets be honest Roscommon's 20 point defeat to Mayo in 2009 hardly had them arrogant going into that Connacht final.

If they U-21 championship is anything to go by Galway have habit of improving once leaving Connacht and their recent record of 7 All Ireland final wins in the last 8 finals is a fine record. For me All Ireland contender is a side that are good enough to win the All Ireland and that rules out this current Mayo team.

What are you on about ?.
    Roscommon could have lost by a million points to Mayo or Galway in 2009 and it would not have mattered in 2010 as Sligo had disposed of them both.

I still recall what i heard on Connaught final day in Hyde Park in 2011.
    ROscommon woman beside me said 'well that's the first part of the double done' after the Roscommon minors won.
    Then a Mayo man the other side of me said 'normal service has been resumed' after Mayo won the senior game.

As for Galway u 21 record I do not see how that is relevant, and please explain the 7 wins out of 8, bit if involves history, save yourself the typing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Every county has small pocket of overconfident supporters some are only seem once a year when a trophy is to be won.

In 2011 Roscommon were competing out of Div 4 Mayo as they are now establised Div 1 team and Mayo were off the back off 6 points win over Galway whenever they beat them they expect to have a Nestor title.

Roscommon were defending Connacht champions going into that game however they didn't have to beat Mayo or Galway to win it and they still haven't beaten Mayo in Connacht since 2001. I'd say Rocommon expecting to win that Connacht final would be like Offaly expecting to beat Kildare this summer. In others words the majority would be hoping not expecting.

That win was not seen as a great win it was expected before the game that Mayo would show their muscle but instead they fell over the line and the pundits wrote them off completely.

2011 has proved to be a big turning point for Mayo football from the game in London when they were within seconds to losing to beating Cork the defending champions it was prime example of what a win any type of win can do for a side and if Galway pull off shock on May 19th who knows where that win could take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As for Galway u 21 record I do not see how that is relevant, and please explain the 7 wins out of 8, bit if involves history, save yourself the typing

Presumably Galway have won 2 of the last 3 senior All-Ireland's (98 and 01), 4 out of the last 4 U-21 All-Ireland's (02, 05, 11 and 13) and 1 minor (07). Only final loss being 2000 to Kerry (which in fairness they could easily have won the first day).

All that will count for shag all though next weekend but still I'd prefer to win finals than lose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

All that will count for shag all though next weekend but still I'd prefer to win finals than lose them.

Now that's stating the obvious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Any season ticket holders know whether the bring a friend option comes into play for Mayo/Galway game? Just printed off my tickets there now but no sign of the bring a friend ticket option yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Any season ticket holders know whether the bring a friend option comes into play for Mayo/Galway game? Just printed off my tickets there now but no sign of the bring a friend ticket option yet...

I am presuming that option should be available to you.
    Looking forward to game although very nervous.One never knows in Mayo Galway clashes.Hoping the weather improves drastically.Are they expecting a decent crowd?

No still not on site which is odd considering it was the first option available before printing tickets for the league games.

Team announced;
    The Mayo Senior Football team to face Galway in the Connacht Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final next Sunday 19th May in Pearse Stadium is as follows:

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Kevin Keane - Westport
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    12. Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14. Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

16. Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    18. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    19. Shane McHale - Knockmore
    20. Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    21. James Burke - Ballymun Kickhams
    22. Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    23. Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    24. Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe
    25. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    26. Conor O'Shea - Breaffy

James Horan - Manager
    James Nallen - Maor Foirne
    Tom Prendergast - Selector
    Donie Buckley - Coach
    Ed Coughlan - Trainer
    Dr. Sean Moffatt - Doctor
    Liam Moffatt - Physio

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have to put faith in that inexperienced forward line. Its going to be a tough day but 2 gems on the bench in Andy and Alan

yop wrote: »
    Have to put faith in that inexperienced forward line. Its going to be a tough day but 2 gems on the bench in Andy and Alan

It all comes down to them. I have faith in our backs, generally they are solid. The question is can that forward line put the scores on the board. We will struggle if the 2/3 have an off day which has happened a fair few times in the past.
    I'd be a lot more confident if any two of Conroy, Dillion and Moran were fully fit.

• Advertisement

Chris Barrett injured too:confused: Christ I don't know what to expect from that full forward line. Other than Varley, none of them featured much in the league. One things for sure, the Mayo half forward line will have to step it up on Sunday especially COC who Im happy has got the 11 jersey. IMO potentially his best position.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mark COC out and we "look" like we are very limited. Varley has potential but hasn't delivered. Not sure what Conor O'Shea might bring to the game, Alan Murphy from what I have seen of friendlies has delivered more than any of the 3 forwards, but thats a whole new ball game. Coen has bags of potential.

As said, if these boys aren't at 100% on Sunday we are going to be having a sore journey home.

As much as I like Kevin Keane I HOPE that he can get a good game under his belt, he has been poor since the AI final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think that might be the strongest Mayo subs bench I have ever seen in the championship. Not so sure on the team though - if we can beat Galway in Salthill with this many players not starting it really would show that a massive gap has appeared between the standards of the two panels.

I think Galway have a strong chance in this one based on that Mayo selection though.

I think that might be the strongest Mayo subs bench I have ever seen in the championship. Not so sure on the team though - if we can beat Galway in Salthill with this many players not starting it really would show that a massive gap has appeared between the standards of the two panels.

I think Galway have a strong chance in this one based on that Mayo selection though.

The otherside of that though is that the team which will line out at the throw in at 4pm? Seems to be a mindset not to name a team and make changes before the throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo are starting with 11 of the All Ireland final team plus Dillion,Andy Moran to bring on. Galway must have made 10 changes from their last championship game.

experience and know how to win tight games should see Mayo over the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Coen and Carolan put in some good performances during the league so it's no surprise to see them start given the injuries we have. We'll probably see AOS move into the half forwards along with Feeney if we're struggling at the end of the first half. Interesting team for sure!

I'm glad to see Keane starting, he might have had a tough run of things since the All-Ireland but the potential is certainly there, experience is what he needs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Coen and Carolan put in some good performances during the league so it's no surprise to see them start given the injuries we have. We'll probably see AOS move into the half forwards along with Feeney if we're struggling at the end of the first half. Interesting team for sure!

I'm glad to see Keane starting, he might have had a tough run of things since the All-Ireland but the potential is certainly there, experience is what he needs!

Did Coen even play in the league?

I believe he came on against Cork at least.

What's the story with Jason Doherty, is he injured?

Do not think so?Backs should pretty much look after themselves although worried re Kevin Keane,very poor since AI final.Barry Moran is a massive loss,any news re injury?Agree with the consensus that if the forwards do not fire to a significant degree it may a long way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Chris Barrett injured too:confused: .

Is his absence anything to do with his, ahem, legal difficulties?

Where did the idea of COC at 11 come out of? Will he actually play there?

This leftfield selection could be a stroke of genius on Horan's part, or it could be the end of him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Is his absence anything to do with his, ahem, legal difficulties?

Where did the idea of COC at 11 come out of? Will he actually play there?

This leftfield selection could be a stroke of genius on Horan's part, or it could be the end of him...

Hasn't CO'C played at 11 at least a few times already this year? Horan's trying to turn him in a workhorse forward but his skill-set doesn't really suit that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Has been rumoured that Dillion will start instead of Coen, O'Connor to play in the full forward line.

Had a quick look on WJ's archive - Coen's only league or championship experience that I can find is a blood sub replacement against Cork last month - that might have only been for a couple of minutes. He has played quite a bit of FBD alright, but this will be a big step up. I guess once it was decided that Moran and Dillon wouldn't start, with Doherty, Regan and Conroy out the only remaining options were Coen and Alan Murphy and Coen has got the nod. Which makes him about our 11th choice forward...

I'm just glad AOS isn't being persisted with at 11. He is not a centre forward, he is not a full forward, but he is a quality midfielder, hopefully he is just left there from now on. Don't know why Seamus hasn't been tried at 11 recently though, he had a great run there in the 2010 league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

iam also hearing dillion will be starting

That team will change before the start.
    Did Coen even come on in that game? Saw him in FBD and looked industrious.

Hoping to record the game if it's live,watch it when I come home.Praying to God it is on RTE,can't tolerate TV3 coverage?!

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hoping to record the game if it's live,watch it when I come home.Praying to God it is on RTE,can't tolerate TV3 coverage?!

Yeah its live on RTE 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

1 to 11 is strong, after that it's a lottery.

Carolan had a decent league hopefully he will progress.
    Varley and Freeman are both equally average if you ask me but at leat they have experience.
    No idea what Coen is like but best of luck to him all the same.
    As others has said the squad is strong which is a real plus if you intend on winning an All Ireland.

What is the story with Doherty ?

Good article with a few interesting stats on Mayo over the league campaign and last year Championship..

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/mayos-season-so-far-breaking-down-the-stats/

Worrying that our possession and scoring averages are down somewhat during the league campaign but Id say with rotation of players along with the lesser nature of league football in comparison to the championship has a big say in that. Mad that we were nearly as good against Donegal as we were versus Dublin in the semi final last year too. As they say, goals win matches :o

EDIT: Another standout stat is COC poor return % from play. Its actually similar enough to the likes of B.Moran and D.Vaughan. Whether this switch to the centre will get more from him as playmaker role remains to be seen but Cillian will have to improve his shooting a lot from play even though he's one of the best around at taking frees.

• Advertisement

Anybody worried about Donal Vaughan's ability to hold the centre/lack of pace?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody worried about Donal Vaughan's ability to hold the centre/lack of pace?

Yes, and particularly his habit of bombing up field, giving the ball away and leaving a huge hold in our back line. He is an inter county standard player alright but he needs to tweak his game for the position he plays. At the moment, unfortunately, there is a James Nallen/Pearce Hanley sized hole in the middle of our back line. I'm not sure the other current option - Cunniffe - is the man to fill it either.

DV has been a liability to us for 2 years, lack of pace, giving away of frees and the amount of turn overs against is worrying and consistent. A nice honest footballer but costs us a few points every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good article with a few interesting stats on Mayo over the league campaign and last year Championship..

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/mayos-season-so-far-breaking-down-the-stats/

Worrying that our possession and scoring averages are down somewhat during the league campaign but Id say with rotation of players along with the lesser nature of league football in comparison to the championship has a big say in that. Mad that we were nearly as good against Donegal as we were versus Dublin in the semi final last year too. As they say, goals win matches :o

EDIT: Another standout stat is COC poor return % from play. Its actually similar enough to the likes of B.Moran and D.Vaughan. Whether this switch to the centre will get more from him as playmaker role remains to be seen but Cillian will have to improve his shooting a lot from play even though he's one of the best around at taking frees.

Dontfoul is a terrific blog, anyone who doesn't know it should it get on it.

I've made my own contribution here if anyone wants a look, pretty much the pitfalls ahead for Mayo:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/connacht-championship-state-of-play/

keane2097 wrote: »
    Dontfoul is a terrific blog, anyone who doesn't know it should it get on it.

I've made my own contribution here if anyone wants a look, pretty much the pitfalls ahead for Mayo:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/connacht-championship-state-of-play/
    Nice one Keane il take a read of it at lunchtime. Only came across the site recently but some good content on it. Your right on that blog, some effort made, equivalent to the opta stats in the soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nice one Keane il take a read of it at lunchtime. Only came across the site recently but some good content on it. Your right on that blog, some effort made, equivalent to the opta stats in the soccer.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. Don't hesitate to drop me a line with any suggestions or whatnot.

Yeah dontfoul is terrific. He's just a regular guy who does it in his spare time for the hell of it as well. It's bananas how little there is in terms of stats analysis for GAA. The only guy doing it to any decent level professionally that I can see is Rob Carroll who works with Kildare. I got my hands on one of his match reports a few weeks ago and it's very interesting stuff but even the simple stuff dontfoul does is extremely telling about how teams ought to attack and defend.

You probably already know of Emmet Ryan's blog "Action 81". He does the best tactical pre- and post-match analysis of GAA in the country, bar none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Expecting a good match tomorrow. Hope its a point for point game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

tacofries wrote: »
    Expecting a good match tomorrow. Hope its a point for point game
    It should be a tight enough match. You would expect mayo to come out on top though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Rumors that Coen wont be starting and that Dillon will take his place!

Really think Galway have a chance, but hoping Mayo pull out what will probably have to be their biggest performance in the Connaught Championship under James Horan.

Maigh Eo Abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Rumors that Coen wont be starting and that Dillon will take his place!

Really think Galway have a chance, but hoping Mayo pull out what will probably have to be their biggest performance in the Connaught Championship under James Horan.

Maigh Eo Abu!
    If that happens O Connor will go into the corner and dillon n half forward line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

If that happens O Connor will go into the corner and dillon n half forward line

As it should be.

My worry with Mayo this year is that we are short a couple of lethal forwards. I dont think we have anyone to do serious damage from play against the top 4/5 teams. It's frustrating as i feel we are very capable elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Will there be tickets at Pearse Stadium tomorrow? It will hardly be full will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Will there be tickets at Pearse Stadium tomorrow? It will hardly be full will it?

Ticket van should be outside the ground. 18,000 is the expected crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Ticket van should be outside the ground. 18,000 is the expected crowd.

Cheers I must get up there early to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

DV has been a liability to us for 2 years, lack of pace, giving away of frees and the amount of turn overs against is worrying and consistent. A nice honest footballer but costs us a few points every game.
    There is a serious issue with his soloing. He's one o those players where it's just never going to flow for him. Solos too high, or it fumbles forward off his boot. To move posession forward in Gaelic Football it's a basic requirement. A bottleneck for sure for him

The Championship is upon us lads. Time to get in the mood!

Whats the plan for parking tomorrow, will be heading over the Knocknacarra side but can't remember where the hell I parked in 2009! :)
    I have to lads in their mid 60's with me so can't be walking miles and miles.

The legs are getting giddy for it now! :D

Our year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

http://youtu.be/E6fUk6CuY5k

cant embed the you tube linke for some reason

Whats the plan for parking tomorrow, will be heading over the Knocknacarra side but can't remember where the hell I parked in 2009! :)
    I have to lads in their mid 60's with me so can't be walking miles and miles.

The legs are getting giddy for it now! :D

We'll be gettin a bus from Balla with a few oul timers on it as well, I'd say parking will be the usual Galway nightmare, can't imagine us getting too close to the ground, will have to make a few pit-stops along the way :D

Would be nice to catch Armagh and Cavan somewhere as well

We'll be gettin a bus from Balla with a few oul timers on it as well, I'd say parking will be the usual Galway nightmare, can't imagine us getting too close to the ground, will have to make a few pit-stops along the way :D

Would be nice to catch Armagh and Cavan somewhere as well

At this rate we will catch the Eurovision tonight the 2 boys want to leave so early :D
    Its a 12pm pullout for the match tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement