Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Noticeable the physical change in players even since last september OSheas in particular look lean

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Noticeable the physical change in players even since last september OSheas in particular look lean

A lot have commented on that. Cunniffe hit their No 8 at one stage and left him eating green, that wouldn't happen if their no 2 hit AOS or SOS or BM even.

Its WAY to early to be finding so many positives ;)

As Syferus said, 16th June ;) Waiting in the long grass. I see Donie is out for Ros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

there is no long grass around with the spring we just had yop go over to farming thread and they will tell you all about it.

the ros vrs may game will be in castlebar?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    there is no long grass around with the spring we just had yop go over to farming thread and they will tell you all about it.

We have great grass where I am from, I talk to it regular, told it about the 17 point win on Sunday and its still laughing ;)

Ya, Cbar, have a stag the day before myself so I will have to miss the warm up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

In Mc Hale Park 16th June @ 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mayo.mick wrote: »
    In Mc Hale Park 16th June @ 4pm.

Gearing up for it now. Sunday was just a brilliant day out. Nothing like following the red and green

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Gearing up for it now. Sunday was just a brilliant day out. Nothing like following the red and green for pulling your hair out and having a nervous breakdown

I fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I really hope Mayo can go all the way. Most Galway people (a few clowns excepted) will be behind ye.

I dont see why Galway people should be expected to support Mayo :confused:

I remember back in the late 90's when both Galway & Mayo were strong, the Mayo people I knew did not want Galway to win an AI. And the Galway people I knew did not want Mayo to win an AI. I think this kind of feeling is more prevalent near the border of the couunties though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't see why they should be expected to, but I for one will be. My priority is Galway first, Connacht second. I think bad-minded Galway people who would shout for ABM are just showing their ignorance and lack of intellect. At the '01 final I was sitting beside a man from Ballindine who was shouting mad for Galway.

A Mayo success would hopefully inspire Galway football to get up of it's ass and start firing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I dont see why Galway people should be expected to support Mayo :confused:

I remember back in the late 90's when both Galway & Mayo were strong, the Mayo people I knew did not want Galway to win an AI. And the Galway people I knew did not want Mayo to win an AI. I think this kind of feeling is more prevalent near the border of the couunties though.

to be fair, if Mayo aren't playing, i'll shout for any Connaught teams playing another provinces team. Hard to know who I'd shout for when another 2 Connaught teams are playing each other. depends on the mood and on the day but I'd usually lend my support to the others in the province anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

To be honest, I don't support any team other than Galway. When there are two other teams playing, I hope for a good game of football and I want the best team to win. I attended Dublin - Mayo in the league and was glad Dublin won that match because Dublin deserved to win.

I do know a lot of people from near the border though that HATE to see the other county win. As you move away from the border, you meet less of those people. I guess its natural really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Location definitely plays a big part. I know lads from Ballinrobe, Tuam, Headford, Kilmaine who hate to see the other team win. I'm from North East Mayo, and most of people around the area would support Galway if they were playing most other teams (saying that, my oul lad has a bitter dislike for Galway, he was in school in Jarlaths during Galway's dominant period in the 60s!) Similarly, most people I know from the city would wish Mayo well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

As a Galway man I wouldn't get too down hearted, we have recent memories of Sam McGuire in Galway on two occasions. Interestingly I looked at the match programme which listed the results over the years and within 3 or 4 years there was always a complete turnabout in results, nothing is won in may and roscommon will be no push over and could well spring a surprise! But best of luck to mayo they could do with success at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

As a Galway man I wouldn't get too down hearted, we have recent memories of Sam McGuire in Galway on two occasions.
    So recent in fact that you got the spelling wrong:eek:
    You have an even more recent memory of sour grapes - thats all your post is. Post it in the Galway thread and drown your sorrows, there's enough sour grapes to make a piss awful jug of wine.
    You're right though, nothing won in May - everythings a work in progress - nice the way you managed to mention your recent (?) memories of winning Sam as a thinly veiled jibe at Mayo for not having won Sam in such a long time.
    I look forward to the day we do win it, knowing how much it will bother the likes of you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

So recent in fact that you got the spelling wrong:eek:
    You have an even more recent memory of sour grapes - thats all your post is. Post it in the Galway thread and drown your sorrows, there's enough sour grapes to make a piss awful jug of wine.
    You're right though, nothing won in May - everythings a work in progress - nice the way you managed to mention your recent (?) memories of winning Sam as a thinly veiled jibe at Mayo for not having won Sam in such a long time.
    I look forward to the day we do win it, knowing how much it will bother the likes of you;)

Sadly we'll both be dead by then!

As a Galway man I wouldn't get too down hearted, we have recent memories of Sam McGuire in Galway on two occasions. Interestingly I looked at the match programme which listed the results over the years and within 3 or 4 years there was always a complete turnabout in results, nothing is won in may and roscommon will be no push over and could well spring a surprise! But best of luck to mayo they could do with success at this stage

Plenty of your fellow Gway men didn't even turn up for work on Monday, so your on your own there.

I would suspect your only posting in here just to rile. Anyway best of luck in the knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

To be honest, I don't support any team other than Galway. When there are two other teams playing, I hope for a good game of football and I want the best team to win. I attended Dublin - Mayo in the league and was glad Dublin won that match because Dublin deserved to win.

I do know a lot of people from near the border though that HATE to see the other county win. As you move away from the border, you meet less of those people. I guess its natural really.

Ah it's each to their own. I wouldn't expect anyone from Galway to support Mayo against other teams, it's up to the individual.

And you're right, Dublin were better in the league semi, but they have to be as good if not better all the way to September this time round. To be honest, I think it's still Dublin as favourites, I also reckon it will be a Mayo Dublin final.

As a Galway man I wouldn't get too down hearted

You're not much of a supporter if taking a 17 point beating by your fiercest rivals - in your home ground, doesn't get you "down hearted".
    Interestingly I looked at the match programme which listed the results over the years and within 3 or 4 years there was always a complete turnabout in results

This Mayo team is still relatively young though and won't be going away anytime soon. It's now on Galway to rise to our level. We've already won 2inarow and are now going for three. Do you think it will all change next year?
    nothing is won in may and roscommon will be no push over and could well spring a surprise! But best of luck to mayo they could do with success at this stage

Nothing is won in May but the journey has now started. Nobody said Roscommon will be easy. All eyes on them. As for your last remark, I'd consider last Sunday a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Up the Ros??? There's only a Big One in Connacht anymore, the rest just give each other black eyes. Sligo and definitely ourselves have as good near-term prospects as Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Syferus wrote: »
    Up the Ros??? There's only a Big One in Connacht anymore, the rest just give each other black eyes. Sligo and definitely ourselves have as good near-term prospects as Galway.

Perhaps but I'd say an AI Club final win at senior will have a big say on the Ros' challenge especially as they were missing the bridgids lads too for the league campaign. Id expect it to be more of a battle than the Galway game if Mayo play as casual they did at times last Sunday. Odds are gonna be ridiculous either way though on a Ros win

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Perhaps but I'd say an AI Club final win at senior will have a big say on the Ros' challenge especially as they were missing the bridgids lads too for the league campaign. Id expect it to be more of a battle than the Galway game if Mayo play as casual they did at times last Sunday. Odds are gonna be ridiculous either way though on a Ros win

One thing I will say is that the Brigids lads know the high press game Mayo were playing in Salthill very well, they used it to great effect in the club run this year. In fact they dismantled Salthill on the same ground in November with those tactics. Hopefully it means we will know how to deal with it better than Galway did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Between 5/1 to 13/2 depends which bookie you look at. Kildare beat Ross by 16 points on Tuesday night the odds might become longer.

Between 5/1 to 13/2 depends which bookie you look at. Kildare beat Ross by 16 points on Tuesday night the odds might become longer.

I've seen this bandied about a few places. I wouldn't read much into it. To quote someone on another forum that knows his stuff:
    Some roscommon players got lost trying to find hawkfield and only arrived at 7.45 for an 8pm throw in. Factor in that some players were playing their third game in 7 days not to mention training with their clubs last thurs/fri nite and I think it was more a way of getting a run out for team. Some of the players had a 2-3 hour journey.

People weren't getting excited when we scored 2-12 on a full strength Donegal team a week ago; they shouldn't be getting excited about this either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I wouldn't read anything into that challenge result - other than that the behind the scenes organisation seems a bit all over the place if players aren't getting to the ground until 15 minutes before throw in.

I expect Ros to come in with a game plan to keep things tight, especially in the first 20 minutes. As long as they do that the game should be very competitive.

is sign bright like a diamond out for the game??

• Advertisement

I wouldn't read anything into that challenge result - other than that the behind the scenes organisation seems a bit all over the place if players aren't getting to the ground until 15 minutes before throw in.

I expect Ros to come in with a game plan to keep things tight, especially in the first 20 minutes. As long as they do that the game should be very competitive.

Wouldn't read much in challenge games myself however when you down 0-17 to no score atter 45mins you know something more than arriving late is wrong with Roscommon.

Wouldn't read much in challenge games myself however when you down 0-17 to no score atter 45mins you know something more than arriving late is wrong with Roscommon.

Ah there goes that nice score again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

A mate of mine was at the Galway-Mayo match and overheard a Mayo supporter tell a Galway lad 'It's a pity the wind wasn't blowing so we'd have something to play against in the second half!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

I really really hope Cillian O Connors injury is not as bad as it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Possible shoulder injury for COC in the club championship. Doesn't look good as he was rushed off in ambulance :(

• Advertisement

If O'Connor is out of the next game will that mean Andy Moran will start?

Possible shoulder injury for COC in the club championship. Doesn't look good as he was rushed off in ambulance :(

Hammer blow if it's serious. Would be our luck tbh
    If O'Connor is out of the next game will that mean Andy Moran will start?

Expect him to be used as an impact sub until he builds himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

We certainly don't have any luck with injuries to key players. Never mind. It's an opportunity for someone else to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any news re the injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any news re the injury?

Confirmed that it's a dislocated shoulder but no news on how long he'll be out for. Cue the "bring back Mortimer to take the frees" nonsense talk

Confirmed that it's a dislocated shoulder but no news on how long he'll be out for. Cue the "bring back Mortimer to take the frees" nonsense talk

Mayo are now without a number of key starting forwards. Never mind bring back Mortimer for the frees. Bring him back full stop ! Both men need to swallow their pride. He is needed now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

COC injury is a serious blow, he had really started to contribute in open play setting up others. Not scoring so heavily but was reliable from frees, much more so than any other player we're tasked with frees during FBD/League.
    What is Alan Murphy like from frees? Needs someone with reliable technique that won't falter in championship. Free takers who wing it with technique usually falter badly as pressure ramps up.

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo are now without a number of key starting forwards. Never mind bring back Mortimer for the frees. Bring him back full stop ! Both men need to swallow their pride. He is needed now ...

not a chance would i have him back we do not need that type of player on the panel he will cause more trouble than he worth.he getting on in age now as well so some of the younger players should get there chance.
    its a big blow if hes out for the ros game but we will manage with out him.

on a side note what people thoughs on the players being out on the beer 3 weeks before a game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

on a side note what people thoughs on the players being out on the beer 3 weeks before a game??

Do you mean some of the county players had a few beers after last nights club games? Wouldn't pass any comment on it at all. They need some down time as well. Good to let the hair down at times. They give up enough of their lives to the cause.

Do you mean some of the county players had a few beers after last nights club games? Wouldn't pass any comment on it at all. They need some down time as well. Good to let the hair down at times. They give up enough of their lives to the cause.
    iam not saying its wrong but they " let the hair down at times" after the galway game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

iam not saying its wrong but they " let the hair down at times" after the galway game.

Do you think they didn't do the same after games last year? Know for a fact that they did after every game.

Do you think they didn't do the same after games last year? Know for a fact that they did after every game.

And rightfully so ! They are amateurs and deserve to enjoy the good times :)

did donegal do it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Mayo or Ross are looking at a novelty Connacht final of sorts here lads! Imagine it was London, would be an absolutely massive occasion for them.

What the hell happened to Sligo today?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

did donegal do it??

Maybe that type of draconian approach will work for Donegal but who's to say it will for Mayo? Kieran McGeeney is well known for his strictness with the Kildare lads and it hasn't brought them much success as of yet. At the end of the day the players need to enjoy playing for their county and I think Horan is shrewd enough to get the balance right. A few drinks three weeks before a provincial semi-final isn't going to do much harm.

km79 wrote: »

It's not about pride - it never was. Don't forget, Mortimer is the one that left the panel, very publicly too it has to be said. He is not a team player, end of story, and proved that with his "I'm leaving because I'm not making the first 15" solo run. He would bring very little to the setup, and whatever he would bring would quickly be negated by his attitude. Horan has developed a squad of positive minded men. Mortimer doesn't fit in that space, and from a footballing perspective, he's greedy on the pitch. He is absolutely not what Mayo need now, or any time in the future.

Yes, Cillian will be a huge loss, but Alan Dillon and Kevin McLoughlin have much to offer in terms of free kicking ability. If we make an All Ireland quarter final, hopefully Cillian will be back by then. If not, we'll just have to make the best of who's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No it wont, not in any informed debate anyway. Only a tiny minority of fans want him back imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Maybe that type of draconian approach will work for Donegal but who's to say it will for Mayo? Kieran McGeeney is well known for his strictness with the Kildare lads and it hasn't brought them much success as of yet. At the end of the day the players need to enjoy playing for their county and I think Horan is shrewd enough to get the balance right. A few drinks three weeks before a provincial semi-final isn't going to do much harm.

Well said. I really dont get this argument. You never hear the same about soccer players and GAA player shouldn't be that far off in terms of fitness and preparation etc. I think it depends on the panel of players, group dynamic etc. never did Ireland any harm during Charlton's reign, well up until the last year anyway.

Mayo or Ross are looking at a novelty Connacht final of sorts here lads! Imagine it was London, would be an absolutely massive occasion for them.

What the hell happened to Sligo today?!

London nearly beat Mayo,Leitrim the last few years clearly Sligo didn't do their homework. I'd say Leitrim will beat London they have them in Carrick and then will choose Hyde park for the Connacht final (if Mayo win)

• Advertisement

No it wont, not in any informed debate anyway. Only a tiny minority of fans want him back imo

That's exactly what I'm talking about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement