Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Emailing 'Michael' a link to this thread. Should be worth at least five easy frees, a penalty for us and two red cards for Mayo.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Syferus wrote: »
    Emailing 'Michael' a link to this thread. Should be worth at least five easy frees, a penalty for us and two red cards for Mayo.

:)

I wouldn't bother. You don't need to email him, he'll be giving ye those away anyway, particularly if ye are any distance behind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Death announced of Mick Mulderrig a member of the 1951 team.
    The man was on thescore.ie last year saying the curse was a load of crap :)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/curse-of-51-no-such-thing-says-star-of-mayos-last-all-ireland-success-600951-Sep2012/

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/curse-of-51-no-such-thing-says-star-of-mayos-last-all-ireland-success-600951-Sep2012/

RIP
    rip(but on a side note is he the last of them?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    rip(but on a side note is he the last of them?)

no, three left now.
    The Flying Doctor Carney
    Paddy Prendergast
    Peter Quinn.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

no, three left now.
    The Flying Doctor Carney
    Paddy Prendergast
    Peter Quinn.

I'll not say what everyone isnt saying.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I'll not say what everyone isnt saying.... :pac:

But wouldn't be terrific if Mayo could win an AI before they all die? One of my favourite GAA images ever is that picture of the old guy in Leitrim who had captained the 1927 Leirim side that won their only previous connacht championship with Declan Darcy after they win the championship in 1994:

http://inpho.ie/media/xYYBeTUpAzrjG0qGupuPNw..a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

12 down......

I'm going straight to hell.

RIP.

But wouldn't be terrific if Mayo could win an AI before they all die? One of my favourite GAA images ever is that picture of the old guy in Leitrim who had captained the 1927 Leirim side that won their only previous connacht championship with Declan Darcy after they win the championship in 1994:

http://inpho.ie/media/xYYBeTUpAzrjG0qGupuPNw..a

That wasn't what I was going to say. I was actually thinking to myself that isn't it shocking that I am stuck at work when I could be outside working in the sun.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

RIP

R.I.P

That wasn't what I was going to say. I was actually thinking to myself that isn't it shocking that I am stuck at work when I could be outside working in the sun.... :P
    i think every knows what ever one else was thinking..........i think it starts with.....will ye just.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Blackjack wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother. You don't need to email him, he'll be giving ye those away anyway, particularly if ye are any distance behind.

He referreed Cavan and Fermanagh in the league this year and was terrible.

He allowed cynical fouling the whole way through the game. Cian Mackey wasn't allowed run more than 4 or 5 feet without being pulled down.

He also missed some of the oldest tricks in the game e.g. Backs grabbing forwards by the arm and pulling them down so it looks like they fall together.

To top it off, he carded a Fermanagh man 3 times without realising. The whole crowd were roaring at him when he gave the second yellow and didn't send him off.

He red carded 3 FermanGh men then in the last five minutes (including the one who he realised should have been off already). Not much point at that stage.

I missed the cards as I left with five minutes left. First game I've ever left due to being hugely frustrated by a referee's performance.

And yes, he was THAT bad.

Lemlin wrote: »
    He referreed Cavan and Fermanagh in the league this year and was terrible.

He allowed cynical fouling the whole way through the game. Cian Mackey wasn't allowed run more than 4 or 5 feet without being pulled down.

He also missed some of the oldest tricks in the game e.g. Backs grabbing forwards by the arm and pulling them down so it looks like they fall together.

To top it off, he carded a Fermanagh man 3 times without realising. The whole crowd were roaring at him when he gave the second yellow and didn't send him off.

He red carded 3 FermanGh men then in the last five minutes (including the one who he realised should have been off already). Not much point at that stage.

I missed the cards as I left with five minutes left. First game I've ever left due to being hugely frustrated by a referee's performance.

And yes, he was THAT bad.

Was that Marty or Michael? Or is it a case of one been worse than the other. What was the yellow count in the Gway Mayo match? I think I heard 15!!!

Was that Marty or Michael? Or is it a case of one been worse than the other. What was the yellow count in the Gway Mayo match? I think I heard 15!!!

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Michael sounds worse than Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

As unbelievable as it sounds, he is worse.

Sure I think he's grand altogether now.

Michael sounds worse than Marty.

Worst I ever seen and I come from a county that sends out Joe McQullian so I know what bad is!

Bring back Brian Crowe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So hoping Mayo line out like this:

1. Clarke
    2. Higgins
    3. Cafferky
    4. Cunniffe
    5. Boyle
    6. Vaughan
    7. Keegan
    8. A. O'Shea
    9. S. O'Shea
    10. Dillon
    11. Feeney
    12. Carolan
    13. Varley
    14. Moran
    15. Freeman

Difficult decisions for Horan to make, especially with the forward line, thought we would struggle to find scores in Salthill, but Varley stood up to the task and Mayo will need him and others to do this again in what will be a bigger test.

Great to have Andy back, and his inclusion, doubled with Donie Shine missing for Roscommon, should make the task more straightforward for Mayo.

Mayo by 5-6 points.

Donie will probably be on the bench, lads.

• Advertisement

Donie will probably be on the bench, lads.
    what sort of injury is he carring any way
    or is he just a big girls blouse:pac::pac:

Picked up a hamstring injury against GMIT in the FBD and played the next week against ye in Ballyhaunis and it reoccurred. Same deal three more times since then, it's just a nagging injury rather than a season ender. The papers are playing it up that he won't feature but from what I've heard he'll be named on the 26 and could feature in the second half.

He's not going to score much starting on the bench. Only two of the St Brigids players starting i guess if Ian Kilbride,Darragh Donnelly were fit and Peter Domican didn't opt out it would be 5. Donal Ward is another good defender not starting.

Mayo probably will make only one change Coen or Andy for O'Connor and should win this game by a bit to spare.

Donie can score plenty if his hamstring holds up. That's the big if. Donnelly wouldn't have started, he's not had much time to make the team. May have featured as a sub, though.

Ian would have been my first choice to go with the Dalys in the HB line but with both Keenan and Wardie there we at least have good depth.

He's not going to score much starting on the bench. Only two of the St Brigids players starting i guess if Ian Kilbride,Darragh Donnelly were fit and Peter Domican didn't opt out it would be 5. Donal Ward is another good defender not starting.

Mayo probably will make only one change Coen or Andy for O'Connor and should win this game by a bit to spare.
    i just hope we start as well as we did against galwayand that are heads are screwed on.roscommon are weak but we still have to get the hard work done,i would like a tough game for us so it will stand to us in the comming weeks months a head,cos who ever winds on sunday(it will be mayo i have no doubt about that)will just p1ss the connaught final.
    not getting ahead of ourselves or any thing but it would be great to see london in the final.

i just hope we start as well as we did against galwayand that are heads are screwed on.roscommon are weak but we still have to get the hard work done,i would like a tough game for us so it will stand to us in the comming weeks months a head,cos who ever winds on sunday(it will be mayo i have no doubt about that)will just p1ss the connaught final.
    not getting ahead of ourselves or any thing but it would be great to see london in the final.

Not fair to say Roscommon are weak, any team could suprise you in championship by how good they are or how much theyve improved in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Sure why not just skip the whole championship and talk about how you will fare in the AI final!

Its a nice change from 2011, no cocky Rossies anymore, I seem to remember they thought they were favourites back then :P

Ahhhh funny to see how things change in 2 years :)

Donie can score plenty if his hamstring holds up. That's the big if. Donnelly wouldn't have started, he's not had much time to make the team. May have featured as a sub, though.

Ian would have been my first choice to go with the Dalys in the HB line but with both Keenan and Wardie there we at least have good depth.

Reading this it appears John Evans was going to start Donnelly until he got injured.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rossies-set-to-lose-shine-for-crunch-derby-showdown-29337976.html

Oh, we're still plenty cocky. You should be even more wary of us when we're playing the poor mouth.

• Advertisement

Sure why not just skip the whole championship and talk about how you will fare in the AI final!
    thats two far down the roadbut iam sure we will be there,ther abouts come sept.i can harly come on her and say that we havent a hope of reaching the final now can I.
    we have a lot in or favour MaroonAndGreen we are at home.............

hogs is across the road from the pitch
    then straight down to bosh,rockys sam adams coxs after

thats two far down the roadbut iam sure we will be there,ther abouts come sept.i can harly come on her and say that we havent a hope of reaching the final now can I.
    we have a lot in or favour MaroonAndGreen we are at home.............

Yeah true, but home advantage didnt count for much in Salthill did it?

I dunno, I guess I just dont like Mayo to be complacent, that includes players and fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Its a nice change from 2011, no cocky Rossies anymore, I seem to remember they thought they were favourites back then :P

Ahhhh funny to see how things change in 2 years :)

Would have to wonder where Mayo would be now if they didn't win that 2011 Connacht title. It was a turning point and Mayo haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mayo News Match Podcast is available to download.

Link ----> http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17952:audio-football-podcast-2013-3-mayo-v-roscommon-preview&catid=87:sport-football-podcast&Itemid=100166

Worth a listen and for the Rossies side, a good analysis from John Tobin. So not too biased:pac: Looking forward to Sunday now:D

Yeah true, but home advantage didnt count for much in Salthill did it?

I dunno, I guess I just dont like Mayo to be complacent, that includes players and fans!
    i no what your saying i dont like the fav tag either especially when you are a mayo fan.to much heart break over the yrs will do that to a man

Reading this it appears John Evans was going to start Donnelly until he got injured.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rossies-set-to-lose-shine-for-crunch-derby-showdown-29337976.html

Evans is a cute hoor but regardless with the way we were lining up in challenge games there was little room for Donnelly to start, particularly in the HB line which is his natural position.

His best hope would have been starting as a HF and going back to play as the sweeper but even then it would have been a big risk to start a guy who got no league time and wasn't even on the panel last year in the first championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Joe0873

Roscommon are weak this year and without shine Kilbride needs to be perfect

Joe0873 wrote: »
    Roscommon are weak this year and without shine Kilbride needs to be perfect

The instant experts are out in force, it must be summertime.

It sounds good in your head to try out words like 'weak' but how much does anyone dealing in that language actually know? Have they even seen the team play even once this year?

Mayo are strong this year but you're in no way unbeatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Team named

From the Mayo GAA blog
    We’ve just named our team to face Roscommon in the Connacht semi-final at McHale Park on Sunday (throw-in 4pm) and, as expected, there’s only one change from the side that started against Galway last month with Richie Feeney lining out at centre-forward in place of the injured Cillian O’Connor. While Richie has appeared at some stage in almost every championship match we’ve played under James Horan, this is his first championship start since the 2011 All-Ireland semi-final against Kerry. Here’s the starting fifteen in full:
    Mayo (Connacht SFC v Roscommon, 16/6/2013): David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Tom Cunniffe (Ballina Stephenites), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Lee Keegan (Westport), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Colm Boyle (Davitts); Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy), Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Richie Feeney (Castlebar Mitchels), Cathal Carolan (Crossmolina); Enda Varley (Garrymore), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Alan Dillon (Ballintubber).
    Like the Rossies, we’ve opted not to name our list of subs at this stage.

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=12951

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Team named

From the Mayo GAA blog

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=12951[/QUOTE]

Havent seen a huge amount of him so could be completely wrong but is Feeney really any good as a forward? He seems to be a decent wing back (not brilliant but solid). Usually that does not translate into a particularly good half forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Havent seen a huge amount of him so could be completely wrong but is Feeney really any good as a forward? He seems to be a decent wing back (not brilliant but solid). Usually that does not translate into a particularly good half forward.

He's not technically gifted like the other forwards but is more direct, full of running and can kick some scores.
    He's mainly been used as an impact sub and imo that's his best role - coming off the bench for the last 15-20mins giving us a bit of drive in the forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

On the contrary I think he is very impressive as a half-forward, without a doubt he should have started the All-Ireland final there last year, he's quite accurate kicking from distance and has the necessary strength required for the position. Well deserving of his place.

iam with ColeTrain on this one he is better as a sub than starting.when he come on in the last 10 -15 mins he nearly allways gets a score or two.
    he should be kept for the back line when he can make runs up the filed and score.

The instant experts are out in force, it must be summertime.

It sounds good in your head to try out words like 'weak' but how much does anyone dealing in that language actually know? Have they even seen the team play even once this year?

Mayo are strong this year but you're in no way unbeatable.

But he is right, Roscommon are weak.

They are a mid table Div 3 tema that has to go away to a Div 1 team and realistic All Ireland contender with there best player not starting.

It would be the shock of shocks if Roscommon even came close to be honest.

Yes Mayo are beatable, but not by Roscommon, and that's not boasting, that is reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

^^^ Shine isn't even Roscommon's second best forward.

Agree that Feeney has been good at half-forward. You don't need six guys to kick points from nowhere and he has a lot of good attributes. Not that he's incapable of taking decent scores either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Have to agree on the Donie Shine thing. Not that I've anything against him but he's so over-rated. Senan Kilbride would walk onto most teams in the country and Mayo would kill to have him. Cathal Cregg is like Roscommon's Kevin McLoughlin and so important to the way they play. When he is on-form (which isn't that often) Shine is a lovely free-taker, but that's it.

Happy with Richie starting, he has the best football brain out of all our potential number 11s (other than Andy Moran who needs to be closer to goal I think). Maybe give Conor O'Shea a run at 11 if Richie is tiring.

fair enough, excuse my ignorance of the Roscommon team, don't get a chance too see much of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FWIW I'd make Mayo - Roscommon in Mayo around a 5/6 point handicap same as the bookies so that's probably not far off. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that a six point dog can get a win but that's roughly the difference between the teams if they were to play each other over and over. In Roscommon it would be more like a three point game.

Oh, we're still plenty cocky. You should be even more wary of us when we're playing the poor mouth.

when we played roscommon in 2011 , in roscommon as soon as you walked in to the ground(to the bar mind)you got a feeling that we where going to be beat out the gate the way the supports when on.they where saying that we should go home that there was no point us being her,all you heard was around the ground was how much roscommon where going to beat us by.

we beat them that day and went on to yet again fall at the last hurdle
    the mayo team has come in in leaps and bounds since then.i cannout say the same for roscommon with playing in div 3 in the league and will be there next yr aswell.
    if they are progressing why have they not got out of div 3?it looks like to me that they will be reling on one man for the game.that man will be marked to an inch of his life come sunday.

you where saying Syferus that ye are plenty cocky can you please tell what he have to be cocky about if its pretty much the same team that we beat in 2011??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roscoffno7

naughto,when did Mayo play Ross last year?...big gaa fan are ya?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement