Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

ColeTrain wrote: »
    See this post from the last page Naughto? Don't see how you can disagree too much with it. No harm having different opinions..

On a whole this thread is a good read, one of the best on this forum in my biased opinion..
    he has being fighting with Fr tod for god knows how long now its time for him to move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

naughto wrote: »
    he has being fighting with Fr tod for god knows how long now its time for him to move on

If they weren't fighting with each other maybe it'd be their other half. Let them off :D

ColeTrain wrote: »
    If they weren't fighting with each other maybe it'd be their other half. Let them off :D
    but there going around in circles with both of them thinking there right

but there going around in circles with both of them thinking there right

That's the internet for you in a nutshell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

i find it unbelievable that you have people stating Mayo will win the all ireland or even reach the final. FFS have any of ye not lived in the last few all ireland defeats.

Pure cock is what i think of this stuff with users sprouting this. Blowing up an ego.... but hopfully not for a fall.

I hope the team keep the head down, no sprouting like some users on here that we will make the final or any rubbish like this. Saying this is confidence, well ye guys must have a long tongue because you are only licking your own arse. There are some serious teams that have to be beaten. I think James Horan has his head well screwed on and takes each game with the same serious approach. This way you will not get over confident and take the eye of the ball.

In order to reach the all ireland you need a decent team (which I think we have) but you need them to perform at each match or at least better than the opposition. You also need a slice of luck.

There is alot of turns along the way, alot of ifs and buts. We have a chance but sprouting that we are going to make the final is bollox, because you never know whats down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks you, but there are some here who think I should be put into St. Mary's* for such talk.

Anyway I think this is yet again a make or break year for Mayo.
    They have progressed steadly under Horan, but if they get to a final and fail to win it it could be another seven or eight years before we see them again.
    Yes they are a young team but the toll of loosing two finals on the trot could be a killer, it took 7 years to get back from 96/97, seven to get back from 04/06.
    Oddly enough loosing earlier may make their bouncbackability easier.

I want to see them getting to a final and I want to see them winning it, but from a supporters point of view loosing finals in quick succession is a real downer.

* mental hospital in Castlebar

St. Mary's has been closed for years.:D But that reference also shows your age;)

i find it unbelievable that you have people stating Mayo will win the all ireland or even reach the final. FFS have any of ye not lived in the last few all ireland defeats.

Pure cock is what i think of this stuff with users sprouting this. Blowing up an ego.... but hopfully not for a fall.

I hope the team keep the head down, no sprouting like some users on here that we will make the final or any rubbish like this. Saying this is confidence, well ye guys must have a long tongue because you are only licking your own arse. There are some serious teams that have to be beaten. I think James Horan has his head well screwed on and takes each game with the same serious approach. This way you will not get over confident and take the eye of the ball.

In order to reach the all ireland you need a decent team (which I think we have) but you need them to perform at each match or at least better than the opposition. You also need a slice of luck.

There is alot of turns along the way, alot of ifs and buts. We have a chance but sprouting that we are going to make the final is bollox, because you never know whats down the road.

If someone thinks we are going to win it then who are you to tell them to shut up? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I agree with you to a certain extent though, I'm looking at each game as it comes. I can't be confident of bringing home Sam and September seems a long way off now but I will say one thing. As a unit this is the best Mayo team I've had the pleasure of seeing and as long as everyone stays fit - it will take a very good team to stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Anyways, I'm planning on being there in Ballagh in September at the last stop before Sam returns to Mayo. The first Rossie to captain his county to AI glory since Jimmy Murray back in '44.

I'm on the Tod-wagon.

.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Syferus wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm planning on being there in Ballagh in September at the last stop before Sam returns to Mayo. The first Rossie to captain his county to AI glory since Jimmy Murray back in '44.

I'm on the Tod-wagon.

.. :o

Sean Flanagan was also a Ballagh player for what its worth, although I think he was from Ballyhaunis originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

At the end of the day though, the team have to believe that they are good enough to win the All Ireland. They have to believe that they are good enough to beat anyone in the country if they perform.

No one is suggesting that if they believe they can do it that they're just looking towards September and they're cocky.

If you asked the players do they think they're good enough to win the All Ireland, I'm fairly sure they will say yes. But they know and we know (and everyone who has been arguing about it on here knows) that in order for that to happen, they need to take each game as it comes and perform well on the day.

It's not as simple as saying you're cocky if you think you can win the All Ireland. A real contender has to believe they can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Padkir wrote: »
    If you asked the players do they think they're good enough to win the All Ireland, I'm fairly sure they will say yes. \

Andy Moran has stated that he thinks this Mayo team will win more than one All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Andy Moran has stated that he thinks this Mayo team will win more than one All-Ireland.

I'd be delighted to simply see Mayo win Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

2013 Mayo is a comfortable 3pts superior to last year Might not be enough to win Sam but Im very happy with upward curve Horan has them on Kevin McGloughlin style of passing it in so catchable for the forward is being used like a quarter back strategy OShea brothers hard to see them delivering anything less than parity Boyle so dynamic n powerful now Will be superb quarter finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo 1-15 Leitrim 1-5 Minor quarter final result. Galway in Tuam next weekend.

Mayo 1-15 Leitrim 1-5 Minor quarter final result. Galway in Tuam next weekend.

Mayo only let 1-5 to 1-2 at half time but Leitrim had got a goal at the last second. Don't expect Mayo to be able to manage Galway in Tuam - they lost to us there last year after extra-time so they'll be extra focused and they are building a squad off two Ted Webb Cup winning U16 sides, indeed Galway County and Galway City contested last year's final.

Still, it's minor and it's the grade that's most susceptible to shocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Syferus do you happen to live in Castlebar or what? Seem to know/see more Mayo football than alot of Mayo supporters :pac:

Your right anything can happen in minor on a given day. Been awhile since minors won a connacht so hopefully they can do the job this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mickey conroy just tweeted that he played 20 mins for Davitts last night. So he should be back by August ....

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭eastmayo

km79 wrote: »
    Mickey conroy just tweeted that he played 20 mins for Davitts last night. So he should be back by August ....

Dont think davitts played last nite..think they playing crossmolina at the moment.hope he dose get some game time.

eastmayo wrote: »
    Dont think davitts played last nite..think they playing crossmolina at the moment.hope he dose get some game time.

Sorry I misread his tweet ! He was hoping for 20 mins today !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This is what he actually tweeted
    Just to clarify the 20 min cameo I was on about was the warm up.Went well taught I was flying in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So the club championship resumes this weekend :)

Predictions:

Crossmolina v Davitts - CROSSMOLINA (Davitts to struggle again without Michael Conroy)
    Breaffy v Castlebar - BREAFFY (expecting it to be very tight, home advantage may be the difference, but tough to call and arguments can be made for both sides)

Claremorris v Ballina - CLAREMORRIS (have a sneaky feeling Claremorris can pull it off, another close game expected though)
    Ballintubber v Shrule - BALLINTUBBER (most one-sided game of the weekend surely)

Knockmore v Charlestown - KNOCKMORE
    Tourmakeady v Westport - WESTPORT (derby match could go either way but Westport have the better panel)

Ballaghaderreen v Garrymore - BALLAGH'
    Aghamore v Ballinrobe - AGHAMORE (Aghamore showing good form and should win)

Senior Championship Results:

Crossmolina 1-10 Davitts 0-10
    Castlebar 3-14 Breaffy 1-8

Ballina 4-7 Claremorris 2-11
    Ballintubber 1-16 Shrule/Glencorrib 1-6

Charlestown 0-9 Knockmore 0-5
    Westport 1-11 Tourmakeady 0-6

Ballaghaderreen 2-16 Garrymore 1-11
    Ballinrobe 1-10 Aghamore 1-9

Massive wins for Castlebar (who were seriously impressive versus Breaffy), Charlestown, Westport and Ballinrobe!

So Castlebar, Ballina, Ballintubber are through! With the other 5 to be decided in Round 3.

Things looking bad for Davitts, Shrule/Glencorrib, Claremorris and Tourmakeady, all yet to register a point.

This is what he actually tweeted

That was his second tweet . He is a pure messer sure :D

Bonus for the Mayo minors they don't have to play Galway away as the game is now switched to Hyde park, (on before the London v Leitrim senior game.)

Bonus for the Mayo minors they don't have to play Galway away as the game is now switched to Hyde park, (on before the London v Leitrim senior game.)

Cosmo is going to have a heart attack.

Cosmo is going to have a heart attack.
    dont think he will syferus mayo minors will beat galway, mayo seniors will beat london or letrim.but still even all that Roscommon will still be sh1te and will be for a few yrs yet

• Advertisement

dont think he will syferus mayo minors will beat galway, mayo seniors will beat london or letrim.but still even all that Roscommon will still be sh1te and will be for a few yrs yet

I can confidently predict Roscommon are looking very good to make the AIQF, naughto :pac:

I can confidently predict Roscommon are looking very good to make the AIQF, naughto :pac:
    we all know that your a die hard mayo supporter syferus its just the wrong side of the border that your on.
    on a side note stoped in durkans on the way back from carrick from a stag,5.20 for a pint bottle:eek::eek:
    not to many was had there at that price

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

great win for the minors

london hammering letrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Nice win for the minors.

Both minors and seniors in Connacht finals :)

• Advertisement

It's likely to be in Cbar now ?

It's likely to be in Cbar now ?
    ya more than likely

I think John Prenty said some weeks ago if London reach the Connacht final it will be played in MacHale park as they don't have any agreement with them (unlike Leitrim,Sligo)

Very good win for the Mayo minors and they will be expecting to win the Connacht title now though it should be another close game against Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think John Prenty said some weeks ago if London reach the Connacht final it will be played in MacHale park as they don't have any agreement with them (unlike Leitrim,Sligo)

Very good win for the Mayo minors and they will be expecting to win the Connacht title now though it should be another close game against Roscommon.

whats agreement do they have with sligo and leitrim.

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats agreement do they have with sligo and leitrim.

Neutral Connacht final venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Mentioned on the sunday game that it has been set for Castlebar.

I think it would have been held there even if Leitrim had won today

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Yes confirmed for castlebar.

will london bring much of a crowd to the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

will london bring much of a crowd to the final?

Depends on o'leary and the price of tickets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

But why should Mayo automatically get a home advantage if there is no agreement?

If there is no agreement, it must mean that there is no home / away agreement too

If Mayo & London meet in the connacht final next year, will the final be in London? :confused:

• Advertisement

But why should Mayo automatically get a home advantage if there is no agreement?

If there is no agreement, it must mean that there is no home / away agreement too

If Mayo & London meet in the connacht final next year, will the final be in London? :confused:
    In Ruislip !

Once London get past their first game in Connacht the rest of their games have to be played in Connacht. Apparently it's Mayo choice on the venue when facing London in a final and they would hardly choose Salthill, Leitrim on the other hand a final against them would be played in Salthill or Hyde park when it's done up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Surely prenty and his side kicks should have brought it to a neutral venue like Sligo ,Hyde park or pearse stadium, I think it's a disgrace, what are they afraid off??? It smells, maybe if was the fright they got in London in the championship in the recent past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Surely prenty and his side kicks should have brought it to a neutral venue like Sligo ,Hyde park or pearse stadium, I think it's a disgrace, what are they afraid off??? It smells

Only Pearse Stadium and McHale Park is suitable for finals and am delighted its not held in Salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mayo should offer to play the final in London. A goodwill gesture and a huge promotion for the game of football.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Only Pearse Stadium and McHale Park is suitable for finals and am delighted its not held in Salthill
    as iam Pearse Stadium is a propper balls to get out off.plenty of drinking time wasted sitting in a car coming out of Pearse Stadium,as least when we win in McHale Park it be handy to go down town for the celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

as iam Pearse Stadium is a propper balls to get out off.plenty of drinking time wasted sitting in a car coming out of Pearse Stadium,as least when we win in McHale Park it be handy to go down town for the celebrations.

Celebrate beating London.:D
    That should be some night. !!!

washman3 wrote: »
    not on beating london ya clown on us winning the connaught final for the 3rd year in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

washman3 wrote: »

I wonder if there's a replay will it be in Mchale park as well?

• Advertisement

not on beating london ya clown on us winning the connaught final for the 3rd year in a row

Ya have to enjoy the good times. They don't last forever. Look at Galway ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement