Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

rockbeast wrote: »
    Will it though, really? Experience at losing and bottling? That's just a load of stats.

Stats are useless to you yet you still go on about the curse?

GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

from what iam hearing CC is in america with an american football team getting treated by there docs.his sholder just pop out and there was limited or little damaged to the surrounding muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

If Cillian does play I think Conroy will come in for Andy. We will need someone to open up gaps and claim ball out on the wing. Conroy is great at winning ball out in front.
    Then you have Feeney/Moran as cool heads for last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    from what iam hearing CC is in america with an american football team getting treated by there docs.his sholder just pop out and there was limited or little damaged to the surrounding muscles.

from where?

irishgeo wrote: »
    from where?
    i just no people that are mixed up with the mayo team and thats what iam hearing it could be a load of sh1te aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Cillian does play I think Conroy will come in for Andy. We will need someone to open up gaps and claim ball out on the wing. Conroy is great at winning ball out in front.
    Then you have Feeney/Moran as cool heads for last 20 minutes.

I disagree
    Forwards are in short enough supply so I think you start with your best and even though Moran is not having a good year he is still capable of doing a lot
    Plus you have to keep Higgins back to counter the Dublin attacks
    So I would go with Cillian in the half forward line, Conroy and Moran in the corners with Freeman in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Money is what defines favouritism.

Dublin by at least 4 and a red card for AOS in final. Please quote me on this.

Money is only a part of it, money will ultimately define the market but the bookies have to take line first and this is done based on numerous factors, obviously form been the most significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

Will it though, really? Experience at losing and bottling? That's just a load of stats.

Hope Mayo do well 'n all but that's just attaching hope to numbers....

Need something more substantial than that to justify favourite's tag...

OR a better presentation of why you/he believe mayo will win

PS my 2nd team are Mayo and will PM details if anyone thinks I'm T'ing...

Experience is an important factor in big games - a lot of young players take time to get used to playing in big games unless they are exceptional. Also as I pointed out there is a large cohort from the 2006 U21 winning team, who have shown they can win the big pot.

Also I didn't say we were favourites, just pointing out that we probably have as much experience as Dublin. Additionally I don't think any serious minded fan could say we bottled it last year. Got some match-ups wrong, got off to a bad start, didn't crumple, lost to the better team on the day.

In terms of how we can beat Dublin. Close down the short kickouts and force Cluxton to go long - I believe we've a better midfield for winning primary ball and Dublin don't crowd the middle. Send in early ball to our FF line who have the ability to win first up ball against Dublin's one-on-one defence. Put Connolly and Flynn on the back foot by having our half-back line push forward. Bring Ger Brennan on a walk-about, he's there to hold the middle while the two young bucks go up field. Get a good start and put Dublin under pressure - we saw glimpses of indiscipline form Dublin against Kerry (Cooper lucky to stay on, McMahon's trailing foot, Cooper, Cluxton, Connolly and O'Carroll yellows) so it could flair up if they are behind/getting frustrated.
    Money is only a part of it, money will ultimately define the market but the bookies have to take line first and this is done based on numerous factors, obviously form been the most significant.

Exactly if money was the sole case for determining favouritism Dublin would be 1/2 at least to win every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KareMart

Hope this will get everyone in the right mood... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz20Zw8o1R4&feature=youtu.be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Hopefully our lads don't "bottle" it again

You know like those last few years when they were clearly hot favourites in every final :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

KareMart wrote: »
    Hope this will get everyone in the right mood... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz20Zw8o1R4&feature=youtu.be

That's a brilliant effort, well done. But as a Dub I find it quite Mayo biased for some reason...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Brolly reckons we will win. Nice swipe against Tyrone too.

http://www.irishtv.ie/joe-brolly-reckons-mayo-will-win/

Brolly reckons we will win. Nice swipe against Tyrone too.

http://www.irishtv.ie/joe-brolly-reckons-mayo-will-win/

he been saying that all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I disagree
    Forwards are in short enough supply so I think you start with your best and even though Moran is not having a good year he is still capable of doing a lot
    Plus you have to keep Higgins back to counter the Dublin attacks
    So I would go with Cillian in the half forward line, Conroy and Moran in the corners with Freeman in the middle.
    If Cillian does play it will be a worry his ability to contest or tackle someone strong n fast like Mccarthy Thats why I think it would be corner forward for him n having to avoid as much contact as possible I think Moran will start But Carolan/Conroy are I would say very close to a start Higgins half forward will likely continue Honestly its a good problem to have a bench of players who are close to starters But I see four Dublin backs physically outmatching our starters Only Freeman n likely Higgins centre forward on Brennan Iv confidence to win consistent posession Mccarthy is the kinda player could disrupt Mcgloughlin Mccaffrey can match Dillon If Andy not in form n Cillian cant tackle leaves us setting ourselves up for trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Terrified that Mayo will lose. My father (a former Mayo Senior county footballer) has had his heart broken too many times by Mayo teams that nearly brought Sam home. I just want him to get 1 win in his lifetime and he's 70 now. I will be watching it with bated breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Best of luck to Mayo from me, a long time fan of Mayo football, though I'm from the SW.

omens

1951 and 2013 - Mayo won 3 in a row in Connacht
    1951 and 2013 - Kilkenny fail to play in Croke park.
    1951 and 2013 - Mayo played the Leinster Champions(Meath) in the final.
    1951 and 2013 - A Connacht vs Ulster minor final . Roscommon beat Armagh in the minor final in 1951.
    1951 and 2013 - A team from Munster won the 1951 All Ireland Hurling Final.

omens

1951 and 2013 - A Connacht vs Ulster minor final . Roscommon beat Armagh in the minor final in 1951.

Last British Wimbledon winner 1936... Mayo won AI ;)

Haha clutching at straws with that one :p

omens

Ah yes píseogs, they come out every year and never work.
    No offence OP by the way :)

Oh and is anyone familiar with New England Patriots linebacker Jerrod Mayo, wears No 51, saw a guy at the Tyrone game with one of these shirts on him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGV-vxsiaiu56vPiCkJAEt7qDAvg_SSH2TFtYOi-XX_mo53ZLmNw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOmcv6C-Wz7NF0nNAol2SPMwxDbASeYZLw5ci6m682lci5tQZO

• Advertisement

Oh and is anyone familiar with New England Patriots linebacker Jerrod Mayo, wears No 51, saw a guy at the Tyrone game with one of these shirts on him

none taken , its all a bit or craic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 angelclar

Cool shirt hopefully it be mayo 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Want one of those!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Want one of those!

Must order, am a Pats fan, and heading over to Wembley the week after the AI final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

If anyone knows the song Religious Man by Mr Loco as featured in the movie Nacho Libre, I wrote a parody here for all you Mayo fans:

MAYO IS FOR SAM

4 Sam 4 Sam, 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    I long 4 Sam, I yearn 4 Sam,
    I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I soon realised, a mighty team,
    Can separate, a chance from fate.
    A championship, they can take,
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    Whoa!

We have prayed, and been depraved,
    To lose last year,
    Never again.
    Cause it's our journey,
    The road to Croke
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I pray 4 Sam, I wish 4 Sam,
    On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

yop wrote: »
    Must order, am a Pats fan, and heading over to Wembley the week after the AI final.

He has been on the team for a number of years now and has always wore 51,
    It was only when I saw the guy at the Tyrone game with it that it dawned on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

JJ wrote: »
    If anyone knows the song Religious Man by Mr Loco as featured in the movie Nacho Libre, I wrote a parody here for all you Mayo fans:

MAYO IS FOR SAM

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I soon realised, a mighty team,
    Can separate, a chance from fate.
    A championship, they can take,
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    Whoa!

We have prayed, and been depraved,
    To lose last year,
    Never again.
    Cause it's our journey,
    The road to Croke
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Mayo still evens with PP. Dublin 4/5 from 10/11. Not much of a betting man but isnt that a slight drift for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Kalyke wrote: »
    Mayo still evens with PP. Dublin 4/5 from 10/11. Not much of a betting man but isnt that a slight drift for Dublin?

The opposite. 44/55 from 50/55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mattser wrote: »
    The opposite. 44/55 from 50/55.
    I'd say its casual bets from the big Dub population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Quick question, would you be more confident this year heading into the All-Ireland compared to last?

For me, I would be slightly more confident but that's because last year was unexpected in a sense and Donegal had this mantra about them and their system that they seemed unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I also think the loss of Andy Moran last year was a bigger blow than the loss of any single player this year could be. The team are better all-round now and there's no individual standing out quite as much as he did. I'm more confident but also far more worried because losing two in a row would be awful and very hard to come back from.

Quick question, would you be more confident this year heading into the All-Ireland compared to last?

For me, I would be slightly more confident but that's because last year was unexpected in a sense and Donegal had this mantra about them and their system that they seemed unbeatable.

This time last year I was confident that Donegal would be 'found out' and that Mayo were the ones to find them out, i.e. get an early lead and make Donegal chase the game.
    That of course did not happen and Donegal got just what they needed, i.e. a early lead
    I also thought that hype would affect Donegal , but it did not affect either team.

Since last years final I have always predicted a Mayo v Dublin final with the idea that Dublin would get there as a total and utter juggernaut and that once again Mayo would have to face a team with great momentum in a final and ultimately succumb.

It has turned out a little differently, Mayo are the juggernaut, hammering all before them and ultimately sweeping Tyrone aside once they got going.
    Dublin have had it a little tougher, getting past a spirited Kerry team in the closing minutes, being asked questions about their defence, creating lots of chances but not taking them etc, but at the same time being a very good team with massive potential to score a heat of scores and a brillinat bench.

I am a little more confident this year, I am more confident because it is now the third year, they have learned so much for the previous two, their intensity has increased, they make less mistakes, they make the opposition make more mistakes, they have scored buckets of goals, Buckley's work has helped greatly
    But on the flip side, their best forwards are either injured (o' Connor), just back from injury (Conroy) or not preforming since injury (Moran)

Overall I could convince myself that Mayo can win by being the better team, rather than relying on the opposition to have a bad day, make mistakes etc

I really don't know what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I hate to say this, but IMO, we're sending 2 teams to Dublin and neither will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I hate to say this, but IMO, we're sending 2 teams to Dublin and neither will win.

Your reasoning is sound

come off it we have the best chance EVER this yr for the double

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No doubt that is one of the possible permutations, based largely on our awful all Ireland final record.But sure what is the point in turning up at all if we have that expectation? I was very impressed with the minors against a very poor Monaghan team.We defeated the favourites for the title Roscommon who really should have had the game won last Sunday.Tyrone will be formidable opponents if they carry on like they did in the final ten minutes otherwise I think our lads can do the business.
    Less optimistic about the seniors,slight underdogs.My pessimism is largely based on our finals record, there isn't a lot to separate the teams.The teams need the supporters to have belief in the them,not a blind faith but certainly a some level of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

seligehgit wrote: »
    No doubt that is one of the possible permutations, based largely on our awful all Ireland final record.But sure what is the point in turning up at all if we have that expectation? I was very impressed with the minors against a very poor Monaghan team.We defeated the favourites for the title Roscommon who really should have had the game won last Sunday.Tyrone will be formidable opponents if they carry on like they did in the final ten minutes otherwise I think our lads can do the business.
    Less optimistic about the seniors,slight underdogs.My pessimism is largely based on our finals record, there isn't a lot to separate the teams.The teams need the supporters to have belief in the them,not a blind faith but certainly a some level of positivity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a trophy, preferably Sam, on the bus home with the lads, but I just think we're going not to beat Dublin. I think it'll be much the same as last weekend, they'll find another gear when/if they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a trophy, preferably Sam, on the bus home with the lads, but I just think we're going not to beat Dublin. I think it'll be much the same as last weekend, they'll find another gear when/if they need to.

While I rate Dublin as favorites and was very impressed with them last weekend I wonder how much of the game came down to an older Kerry team not able for the pace and intensity of playing a 100 miles an hour for a full 70 mins?

I really feel Mayo has to do it now or never though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

The Rossies are behind Mayo as well

270695.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Dublin didn't find another gear in the semi, Kerry did. Kerry went from 5th to barely 2nd and allowed Dublin to cruise past without "changing gear" at all.

And do you not think that Mayo have a another gear in them ?
    While I rate Dublin as favorites and was very impressed with them last weekend I wonder how much of the game came down to an older Kerry team not able for the pace and intensity of playing a 100 miles an hour for a full 70 mins?

I really feel Mayo has to do it now or never though!

True, Kerry were always going to struggle to keep up the pace that they start with, we have seen that all year and I am even surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Even though I think it's a 50/50 game I cannot figure why Mayo people would be negative about Mayo.
    I have been watching them for 30 odd years and I have never seen a Mayo team play a championship season as good as these guys.
    Everything about this season has been good and it's really great to be entering a final with the team in this shape, and it's not just about this year, it's been the way this team has developed under Horan.
    Gone are the days or scraping past Fermanagh or Laois in a reply, this team are for real.
    Sure Cillian O' Connor probable loss is a concern but as I have said before it's not as if the management did not see it coming and I am confident they have been working hard on a backup free taker for months now.
    The Dublin backs have been questioned and I'm sure there are plenty more on the Mayo team who want to ask them more questions.

And do you not think that Mayo have a another gear in them ?

True, Kerry were always going to struggle to keep up the pace that they start with, we have seen that all year and I am even surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Even though I think it's a 50/50 game I cannot figure why Mayo people would be negative about Mayo.
    I have been watching them for 30 odd years and I have never seen a Mayo team play a championship season as good as these guys.
    Everything about this season has been good and it's really great to be entering a final with the team in this shape, and it's not just about this year, it's been the way this team has developed under Horan.
    Gone are the days or scraping past Fermanagh or Laois in a reply, this team are for real.
    Sure Cillian O' Connor probable loss is a concern but as I have said before it's not as if the management did not see it coming and I am confident they have been working hard on a backup free taker for months now.
    The Dublin backs have been questioned and I'm sure there are plenty more on the Mayo team who want to ask them more questions.

I'll agree that this is probably the best and most complete Mayo team that has reached an All-Ireland since they last won in 1951 but you can understand why Mayo people are anxious...all them All-Ireland final losses leave scars that aren't easily forgotten.

I think that's why Mayo are known for their hype once they reach a final, we get there and it's almost like we do our celebrating before the final half expecting to lose anyway.
    It's time that trail of thought is done away with though and the only way to do that is to win the thing outright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I think it was more about Dublin sorting out their defensive problems at half time more than anything else and Kerry only managed 0-6 once those changes were made.

I'll agree that this is probably the best and most complete Mayo team that has reached an All-Ireland since they last won in 1951 but you can understand why Mayo people are anxious...all them All-Ireland final losses leave scars that aren't easily forgotten.

I think that's why Mayo are known for their hype once they reach a final, we get there and it's almost like we do our celebrating before the final half expecting to lose anyway.
    It's time that trail of thought is done away with though and the only way to do that is to win the thing outright!

What about the 1996 side that arguably left All Ireland behind them? they came back the following year just like this years team and having beaten Kerry well in 96 semi final they were confident of beating them in the final and remember that was Kerrys first final for 11 years. The one big difference between Mayo then and now is their manager however James Horan will be up against another top manager Jim Gavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You should have a little more belief in this team. Ever since we turned Cork over on a rainy day in August 2011 we've been progressing all the time. There's no reason to start doubting the lads now, especially when they've been so formidable all summer. Don't forget we will be very hard beat if we play to our fullest and there's no reason why we can't.

I said it before - there is nothing to lose but everything to gain from this final. I might be nervous entering Croker ( a couple of quick pints in Quinns will help ) but I won't fear losing the game. I really don't know how this game will pan out btw...we only know that there's gonna be a show and the green and red will be there.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Dublin didn't find another gear in the semi, Kerry did. Kerry went from 5th to barely 2nd and allowed Dublin to cruise past without "changing gear" at all.

Yeah it was level at 68 minutes or thereabouts and two Kerry lads decide go for one ball it breaks to MDMA and K Mc M finishes and that's that. This is just after O'Sullivan missing a great chance

These cliches about another gear and all this are silly, they got a break or two near the end and kicked on from there

I think it was more about Dublin sorting out their defensive problems at half time more than anything else and Kerry only managed 0-6 once those changes were made.

What about the 1996 side that arguably left All Ireland behind them? they came back the following year just like this years team and having beaten Kerry well in 96 semi final they were confident of beating them in the final and remember that was Kerrys first final for 11 years. The one big difference between Mayo then and now is their manager however James Horan will be up against another top manager Jim Gavin.

Even though the 96 and 97 teams were genuine contenders I don't think they came to finals with the momentum of this side
    In 97 if I recall they struggled v Sligo in the Connaught final and were less than impressive v Offaly in the semi.

This may be revisionist history but if I recall the selection of Flannagan was nothing more than Maughan giving his old friend a chance to win an All Ireland, he was not fit and when he broke down in the first 10 minutes Maughan's answer was to bring on Horan, and re-gig the whole thing.
    I doubt Horan would do the same with his injured club-man O' Connor
    I know it's a different era but this team are a lot better prepared than anything we saw in '97,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The other big difference is that this team is a hell of a lot better than the 96/97 team. Whether they'll be good enough to win this year I don't know, but I'd be very confident that our current team would have won both of those finals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement