Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Any generous benefactor want to stump up a couple of hundred grand to try and tempt pearse hanley to come home for a year :D

Is there any other forwards in the county? Can the minors make the step up? In fairness, AOS & COC made the step up the year after minor. Interesting to see if the likes of Irwin, Coen, Conroy, Plunkett, O'Connor junior and Hanley Junior are up to it?

Hopefully McLoughlin can rediscover his form. Think he's an absolutely class player but his form and confidence seem to have dipped drastically this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Any generous benefactor want to stump up a couple of hundred grand to try and tempt pearse hanley to come home for a year :D

Is there any other forwards in the county? Can the minors make the step up? In fairness, AOS & COC made the step up the year after minor. Interesting to see if the likes of Irwin, Coen, Conroy, Plunkett, O'Connor junior and Hanley Junior are up to it?

Hopefully McLoughlin can rediscover his form. Think he's an absolutely class player but his form and confidence seem to have dipped drastically this year.

I think Conroy is the only forward from that Minor team that has a chance of turning out to be good enough for Inter County football, and he is much too light to be given an opportunity yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

naughto wrote: »
    i dont no where you came out of realweirdo but would u ever piss off back tothe hole that you came out off.
    every post that you have made since the defeat has be negative to wards mayo/horan any one envolved.
    we are all hurting here there is no need to keep say how bad this player was or what horan should have done we cannot change what happened nor will you typing all that crap

Get a grip FFS...look back over my posts, I highlighted several positives in Mayo football so cut the lies...I also highlighted several negatives...you convienently ignored the positives while you played to the gallery...

Yes, I have criticised Horan, I make no bones about that. I'm not going to say he had a great performance yesterday, how he's a great manager in the same league as Mickey Harte...he's not or nowhere near Harte who is/was a brilliant manager and just happens to be rebuilding at the moment.

No-one wants Mayo to win more than me, so again cut your stupid nonsense. How do you think Man Utd came to dominate the English game in the last 20 years? It's because of Fergie's hairdryer treatment of certain underperforming players, and also the massively high standards he sets.

If Mayo players, management and supporters like you cannot take criticism on board like adults then we are faced with a situation where we repeat the same mistakes over and over and Mayo certainly won't win Sam McGuire in any of our lifetimes.

So like I said grow up and stop whinging everytime someone criticises Mayo. It's not negative, it's being analytical, something you know nothing about. The fact that you try like a lot of Mayo supporters to shut down the debate as soon as any criticism of the team or management is brought up is simply not helpful. There always needs to be a post match analysis of where things went wrong. Saying we were great, no problems etc, might be popular with some people, but it doesn't cut it with me or other serious Mayo supporters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

realweirdo wrote: »
    Get a grip FFS...look back over my posts, I highlighted several positives in Mayo football so cut the lies...I also highlighted several negatives...you convienently ignored the positives while you played to the gallery...

Yes, I have criticised Horan, I make no bones about that. I'm not going to say he had a great performance yesterday, how he's a great manager in the same league as Mickey Harte...he's not or nowhere near Harte who is/was a brilliant manager and just happens to be rebuilding at the moment.

No-one wants Mayo to win more than me, so again cut your stupid nonsense. How do you think Man Utd came to dominate the English game in the last 20 years? It's because of Fergie's hairdryer treatment of certain underperforming players, and also the massively high standards he sets.

If Mayo players, management and supporters like you cannot take criticism on board like adults then we are faced with a situation where we repeat the same mistakes over and over and Mayo certainly won't win Sam McGuire in any of our lifetimes.

So like I said grow up and stop whinging everytime someone criticises Mayo. It's not negative, it's being analytical, something you know nothing about. The fact that you try like a lot of Mayo supporters to shut down the debate as soon as any criticism of the team or management is brought up is simply not helpful. There always needs to be a post match analysis of where things went wrong. Saying we were great, no problems etc, might be popular with some people, but it doesn't cut it with me or other serious Mayo supporters either.

Can you quit with the Man Utd analogies please, they just do not translate to Mayo GAA

Can you quit with the Man Utd analogies please, they just do not translate to Mayo GAA

Sport is sport...winning is winning. I can use any analagy you want, but generally its a good idea to aspire to best practice in most walks of life. If players, Gaelic, soccer, rugby, or in any sport underperform, they need to be called out on it.

I have a feeling its a bit of a waste of time where Mayo is concerned. There is simply no appetite to learn from mistakes, only to repeat them. And any attempt at analysis is immediately shut down from the usual quarters. This is why there will be no Sam for Mayo for the foreseeable future. I'd love to believe otherwise but I'm wise enough to know better.

• Advertisement

Sport is sport...winning is winning. I can use any analagy you want, but generally its a good idea to aspire to best practice in most walks of life. If players, Gaelic, soccer, rugby, or in any sport underperform, they need to be called out on it.

I have a feeling its a bit of a waste of time where Mayo is concerned. There is simply no appetite to learn from mistakes, only to repeat them. And any attempt at analysis is immediately shut down from the usual quarters. This is why there will be no Sam for Mayo for the foreseeable future. I'd love to believe otherwise but I'm wise enough to know better.

Your not wise, your username tells what you are im afraid

Your not wise, your username tells what you are im afraid

It's just a username ffs...Are you painted maroonandgreen right now?

Like I said I'm wasting my time on here with some posters who try to block out any form of analysis. That's been a long standing problem with Mayo football, an inability to learn from mistakes and its why there will be many more losing AI final appearances, due in part to the fact that some people try to shut down debates around criticising certain aspects of Mayos play.

See you all next year in any case as we discuss Mayo losing yet again due to the same mistakes.

Goodbye.

Like I said I'm wasting my time on here with some posters who try to block out any form of analysis. That's been a long standing problem with Mayo football, an inability to learn from mistakes and its why there will be many more losing AI final appearances, due in part to the fact that some people try to shut down debates around criticising certain aspects of Mayos play.

See you all next year in any case as we discuss Mayo losing yet again due to the same mistakes.

Goodbye.

GOODBYE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Saddened at the match as with 20 mins to go we really had a chance...

I can't blame the management as basic stuff such as passing, accuracy,the running man and vision, which we were so good at all year, was lacking from a lot of our players (midfield to forwards). It was all these little things that ultimately killed us. This wasnt managements fault but instead the individual players falling victim to nerves on the day.

I am thankful to the lads for giving us such a great year with many good days out. Hopefully next year we'll do equally, if not better, as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Goodbye.
    dont 4 get to close the door after you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

A lot of criticism on here for Horan, and while there was a few questionable decisions yesterday, I think overall he deserves immense credit for what he has done with Mayo football in the past three years. He has helped develop us into one of the best teams in the country and has given us some great days out. We have the best defense out there at the minute, something to be proud of, but, as people on here have pointed out, and I tend to agree with them, we are missing that marquee forward that could see us go all the way.

Freeman coming off yesterday certainly didn't help. Andy Moran did score 1-2 but he's too slow since returning from his injury and he cant be first choice anymore. I dont know what to say about Dillon, there is no doubt hes got plenty of talent and he has been a great servant to Mayo football but he has never produced on All Ireland final day and that's a real shame. McLoughlin is still young and he will come good again.

I think Horan himself is the only man to decide whether he stays or goes, only he will know if he has the will and determination to go on from here. If he does stay then I think he should be committing for at least two years as I think it could well be a two year project to getting back to the final and hopefully we can hold onto Buckley as he has made a big difference. I've no doubt that yesterday was supposed to be the crowning moment of Horans tenure and the loss will be a major setback to him and the players, a lot worse than last years loss. I think it will be a massive job to pick the players up and get them focused on next year and what lies ahead but saying that I have no doubt but we will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

i dunno might be worth pointing out fergie took over in 1986 and it was 1990 before the won anything at all! the blow dryer must have taken a while to heat up.

personally id go with taco fries analysis, doesnt matter what tactics you have, mayos biggest failure on the day was doing the basics and no gameplan will compensate for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The mentality is the biggest problem.

Trying to get a group of mayo men not to shít themselves on the 3rd Sunday in September is the biggest challenge.

Horan should draft a few sports physiologists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Trying to get a group of mayo men not to shít themselves on the 3rd Sunday in September is the biggest challenge.

Mayo did not **** themselves yesterday ffs. Quit that stupid ****. You just look like a fool with comments like that. They just lack a little bit of quality in the forward line. That was the difference in the end. We were unlucky that freeman had to go off but apparently he had flu.

I hope Horan waits as he knows mayo football really well. If he goes, he thinks Mayo are not going to win SAM with this panel. If he waits, he thinks there is an All ireland in them. Also who do we get instead of him... liam big mouth Mchale, John look at me Maughan .
    Some of the posters need a nine inch root...

Any truth to the rumor that Feeney was not played by Horan due to a pre-match bust up after Feeney made his own travel arrangements and travelled by car instead of the team bus(out of necessity) ?

Feeney would of been worth a couple of points yesterday in the half forwards, including preventing some of those kickouts to the Dublin half backs. Feeney should of took the position of the clubmate of Horans that went missing yesterday(again).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

As a Meath football fan, I am Genuinely sad for Mayo, I really thought this was their year, you have an excellent Manager. A few things went against you yesterday, I think injuries played a big part in the lead up to the final and Higgins having to be moved into the backs in the second half
    Mayo have brought football to a different level over the last two years, especially the art of defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was at game yday and am wondering still why Higgins was moved back into full back line when he had being well involved in game in first half??....did I miss something,wasn't home in time to see highlights.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Was at game yday and am wondering still why Higgins was moved back into full back line when he had being well involved in game in first half??....did I miss something,wasn't home in time to see highlights.

O'Gara won pretty much every ball hit toward him once he came on for Mannion. They decided to move Higgins back to mark him. He did better on him, but Mayo seriously lost out up front with the move.

Tom Cunniffe went off injured so Higgins moved to corner back with Carolan coming on in the half forward line

oh and did anyone else question that hawk eye miss at the start of the match ? Going by the photo it looked like it was in imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

This was the original shot we all saw, then when the angle swung round it was a miss

any photos of the angle swung around? I just cant see how it was a miss going by that photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

It was clarified as a miss because the ball passed through the extended line of the post. If the ball was 3 or 4 metres lower, it would have hit the post and come back out into the field of play and wouldn't have been a point. Therefore just because it was above the top of the post, it can't be awarded as a point. For Hawk Eye to award the point, the whole of the ball must pass inside the whole of the blue line, just like a ball has to pass within the whole of the posts to a score a point normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Mayo simply did not have the forwards and until they have the likes of Padraic Joyce, Ja Fallon and Michael donnellan they won't get over the line

Mayo simply did not have the forwards and until they have the likes of Padraic Joyce, Ja Fallon and Michael donnellan they won't get over the line

Not you again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Would've preferred Keane coming on. If he was good enough to start 12 months earlier... Anyhow hindsight is great

But you're right we seriously missed his influence in the forwards. I really, really hope he's used at 11 next year as he has the potential to cause serious damage running at defences.

Still gutted- it'll take a while to get over this one indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Great turn out in c/bar y/day evening. seniors lads were very dissapointed. They seem hellbent on giving it a good lash next year again.this team are as close to an all ireland as we have ever been since 51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Great turn out in c/bar y/day evening. seniors lads were very dissapointed. They seem hellbent on giving it a good lash next year again.this team are as close to an all ireland as we have ever been since 51

Fair play to you for going. Homecomings for defeated finalists are always a depressing affair. Being a Cork football fan I should know :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Despite the lack of quality in Mayo forward line they still would have won this All Ireland had they not conceded 2 soft goals. The loss of Clarke through injury was a huge blow to Mayos chances. If you gift 4 goals to the opposition in 2 AI finals you need forwards who can get you 13 points to cancel them out and Mayo don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Any truth to the rumor that Feeney was not played by Horan due to a pre-match bust up after Feeney made his own travel arrangements and travelled by car instead of the team bus(out of necessity) ?

Feeney would of been worth a couple of points yesterday in the half forwards, including preventing some of those kickouts to the Dublin half backs. Feeney should of took the position of the clubmate of Horans that went missing yesterday(again).

This is starting to gain momentum and if true, would be extremely disappointing. To not play someone on the basis of a personal thrift would be damaging to Horan's cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Despite the lack of quality in Mayo forward line they still would have won this All Ireland had they not conceded 2 soft goals. The loss of Clarke through injury was a huge blow to Mayos chances. If you gift 4 goals to the opposition in 2 AI finals you need forwards who can get you 13 points to cancel them out and Mayo don't have that.

Sorry but that Clarke comment is rubbish - sure Hennelly was one of Mayo's best players on the day. Clarke probably won't get his place back if Hennelly decides to stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That is not fair to a lot of the players who played to their ability and gave it everything.

Yes there are a few who I think haven't the capability of performing when the real pressure comes on, but it is only a few.

How many counties will have a Joyce and Donnellan ?
    When will Galway be again blessed with such a great combination ?

As regards realweirdo and his comments.
    I agree with a lot of them, but I just think his timing and forcefulness is wrong at the moment.

He is right the management do need to learn some things from this defeat and they really need to find a couple of good reliable forwards.
    Realistically a couple of the guys are not up to it.

The current panel are just not good enough.
    We can't have passengers in September and it is now necessary to have half decent subs not more so so players.
    As it is Andy Moran has gotten slower and O'Connor now has a suspect shoulder so they need help and some others to shoulder the load.

Could a couple of the minors be fast tracked ?
    Perhaps they could be put on a strength and fitness regime at once and bulk them up.
    It isn't impossible to do that, but the danger is if they are pushed too soon and too much is expected of them it could set them back years.

At this stage I don't care if we even indulged in luring in a forward from another county.
    Cork won two All Irelands with two Kildare men very prominent.
    Granted I wouldn't want this to turn into a sad and disgusting debacle like with a certain Cavan man.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

genuine neutral here. just wondering why was alan freeman taking off, he didn't hit his stride against tyrone until the second half. Was he injured? i thought dillon would of been the first lad to go, closely followed by mclaughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

cosatron wrote: »
    genuine neutral here. just wondering why was alan freeman taking off, he didn't hit his stride against tyrone until the second half. Was he injured? i thought dillon would of been the first lad to go, closely followed by mclaughlin.

Someone said he was suffering from flu, cant confirm that though as he looked comfortable to me and was playing well enough.

• Advertisement

stdidit wrote: »
    Someone said he was suffering from flu, cant confirm that though as he looked comfortable to me and was playing well enough.

I saw Horan quoted in the Indo as saying he had the flu. There is no way it was a tactical switch, Freeman had the beating of O'Carroll and was directly involved in 3 points before he went off. Again, Dublin completely deserving winners and the best team all year, I just think the Freeman injury/illness had a huge impact on Mayo's chances.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

GBXI wrote: »
    I saw Horan quoted in the Indo as saying he had the flu. There is no way it was a tactical switch, Freeman had the beating of O'Carroll and was directly involved in 3 points before he went off. Again, Dublin completely deserving winners and the best team all year, I just think the Freeman injury/illness had a huge impact on Mayo's chances.

Had flu since last Tues. Heat only added to it and left him near the edge of not been able to breath.
    It effected us for sure but I think we lacked a plan B there with him also.

We gather ourselves and move on. No one died, we can still win it, been here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah, get over this week now and start thinking about next year. For the players the club championship beckons so not much time to dwell. The Connaught is saying Horan intends to see out the final year of his contract.

I think they'll be close again next year if they can keep everyone together and the backroom team involved.

But I believe they should try to win the National League next year, at this stage the win could give them a real boost mentally.

For me the loss of Freeman and Higgins up front was the real changing of the game and the main reason we lost.

Sorry but that Clarke comment is rubbish - sure Hennelly was one of Mayo's best players on the day. Clarke probably won't get his place back if Hennelly decides to stay on.
    incorrect, Hennelly threw in Brogans first goal. The difficult thing about being a goalkeeper is that saves are meaningless if you make a headless chicken decision like Hennelly did on Sunday. Mayo were completely dominant until that goal changed the dynamic of the contest. Hennelly has been brilliant and was again on Sunday but will have to shoulder the biggest share of responsibility for the defeat after a rush of blood to the head. The second goal was a defensive disaster and of course he cant be blamed for the 2 soft goals in last years final because he wasn't playing. Mayo need to learn not to gift goals to the opposition if they are to win AI.

80s Child wrote: »
    This is starting to gain momentum and if true, would be extremely disappointing. To not play someone on the basis of a personal thrift would be damaging to Horan's cause.

I'm really disappointed not only did Richie see zero game time on Sunday but that he has been criminally underused since Connacht

Thought he was one of our best players v Roscommon and I was delighted to see him in the team that day. There's room for a guy like Richie in basically every team and especially ours- he can kick a score, has a superb workrate and is great at turning over possesion.

I said it this time last year that he could become a key player for us in 2013. That's one of my main disappointments- why we didn't use him enough. In the final in 2012 he came on and took the game to Dobegal on his own for a while near the end. He made a superb impact. To not even bring him on on SUnday was daft. I think he is criminally underrated by Horan. He's not the youngest man in the world but Dillon's time is up now I think sadly, and I can't think of a better man to replace him with
    jmayo wrote: »

The current panel are just not good enough.

I've heard this quite a bit over the last few days and I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't be this gutted and dejected if I felt they weren't good enough. This team is well and truly good enough to win an All Ireland and were well and truly good enough to beat that Dublin team we saw on sunday. This one'll take a while to shake off

Had COC gone for a goal at the end, imagine that somehow the ball went in. Would a simple kick of a ball have then elevated us to good enough? We played miserably yet lost by the kick of a ball

The team is good enough and is good enough to win it next year.

Not performing on sunday is seriously sickening. I still can't understand it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

incorrect, Hennelly threw in Brogans first goal. The difficult thing about being a goalkeeper is that saves are meaningless if you make a headless chicken decision like Hennelly did on Sunday. Mayo were completely dominant until that goal changed the dynamic of the contest. Hennelly has been brilliant and was again on Sunday but will have to shoulder the biggest share of responsibility for the defeat after a rush of blood to the head. The second goal was a defensive disaster and of course he cant be blamed for the 2 soft goals in last years final because he wasn't playing. Mayo need to learn not to gift goals to the opposition if they are to win AI.

Have to agree with regards Hennelly I am afraid, he made MASSIVE saves during the match, but he was solely at fault for that goal and it had a major impact on the flow of the game.
    As a keeper for a lot of years the role is to stop goals, if the ball is in your area you take man and ball (legally of course), so Hennelly should have cleaned everything in front of him OR stayed on his line.
    Again his saves after that were excellent, but thats his job.

I have said it in many many posts in this forum with regards the keeper and Clarke was a massive loss, Hennelly has always been 1 game away from a mistake.

Mayo went in 1 point ahead at half time, thanks to hennelly. fair enough he let in the first goal , but he stopped two others after, so tbh I cant say that first goal had that big an impact. it was the forwards and all their missed oppurtunities that in my view had the major impact..

I nearly have a sick feeling in my stomach writing this- well to be honest I actually do

But my own 2c of the match after properly digesting it

This was so much easier last year, I knew we were beaten by a better side and had taken one step closer to reaching the top. I knew we'd come back all guns blazing in 2013. And we did. We bloody hammered EVERYONE, even Tyrone after a shaky start. This was the year...

I was buzzing with the early start. We had them completely rattled after ten minutes. Mannion and Connolly had efforts that ended up in row z, we turned over huge amounts of possession and ran all over them. The goal was a killer. We missed some early chances (that O'Connor free still haunts me), and suddenly began to look clueless when we reached the middle third. Bar Higgins of course. They grew in confidence, started finding kick outs with much more ease and O'Gara made a huge impact. By half time I was grateful we were still leading which seemed mad- we could have been out of sight early doors. Had Mayo got a goal before Brogan's (which like last year should never have bloody happened!!!) we'd have won Sam I think.

In fairness the Dubs missed some goal chances in the first half and credit to Hennelly. Freeman going off was a huge blow, he was making a real nuisance of himself. Pumping similar ball into Andy and Conroy was never ever going to reap dividends.

Second half- putting Higgins back really wasn't ideal but clearly James felt Keane wasn't up to it. I'd be interested to hear if he could have that substitution back again would he change his mind with the benefit of no pressure. Anyway the Dubs owned the second half and used possession far better. Even when Andy got the goal I was still despondent. But if we only we could have gotten the next score... anyhow the last ten minutes were not pretty, although credit Enda Varley for a very underrated impact.

AT ten minutes to go in an All Ireland final surely there is a case for throwing caution to the wind and lobbing Aidan into FF and try a few high balls in. Three points down and the game well and truly in the Dubs' court surely something different needs to be done.

I don't blame Cillian for going for point. Does it really require 40 seconds to tap a ball over the bar? Hard to blame McQuillan there

Our HB line was outstanding, impressed with Cafferkey too (Bernard got 2-4 but not the better of Cafferkey for me), SOS fought hard, while Higgins was super and Andy fought admirably also.

Disappointingly only 3 names of the front 8 can be included here...

We let them win far too many easy kick outs in the second half.

Anyway we have to bounce back. Won't be easy but I'm sure training will recommence in November and the lads will be hellbent on giving it a real go.

The team is good enough to win an All Ireland

Believe

Sorry but what was incorrect about my above comment?

Hennelly was at fault for the 1st goal but there was nothing stopping Mayo winning the game from then on. And Hennelly's save from O'Gara when Caff got got out was one of the best you'll ever see (keeping them in the game).

The exact same mistake was made by Clarke in last years final but luckily Murphy punched over the bar. Hennelly is better than Clarke all round for me.

So to sum up, Clarke was absolutely no loss to Mayo on Sunday because Hennelly has shown himself to be his equal, if not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not convinced Hennelly was at fault for the first goal.

Brogan_Bernard_flick2013.jpg
    keane2097 wrote: »

Picture here tells a tale. Note Hennellys position, note how he is not where near the ball and is 6" lower than either his fullback and Brogan. The ball was never his to win based on that. Hence if his fullback wasn't going to get the ball then he was there on the line to pick up the scraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This time last year there was a good bit of positivity from Mayo folk over the way the final had played out, going 7 down early in the first half and only ended up loosing by 4 seemed to give people some sort of sense of a 'moral victory' in the final analysis

Personally I was not that happy as I though that day was a cast iron opportunity to win it all and an opportunity lost.

But what are peoples opinions now.
    This year we only lost by 1 and where in the game for far longer than we have been in a final since '96 or '97
    And we were a dominant team all season
    So are people as positive about 2014 now and they were about 2013 then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

yop wrote: »
    Brogan_Bernard_flick2013.jpg

Picture here tells a tale. Note Hennellys position, note how he is not where near the ball and is 6" lower than either his fullback and Brogan. The ball was never his to win based on that. Hence if his fullback wasn't going to get the ball then he was there on the line to pick up the scraps.

Still images don't tell anything when it comes to sports. The ball ends up going from Brogan's hand downwards so there's not necessarily anything wrong with Hennelly's positioning in that picture. Not saying his positioning is correct either, just that you can't tell from a still.

On another note, thought this article was a pretty good response to all the overreaction and blame-gaming that's been going on in the aftermath of the game.

http://spailpin.blogspot.ie/2013/09/mayo-football-is-alive-and-well.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

keane2097 wrote: »

Well, there was certainly no conviction in the effort he made. When a goalie decides to come for that kind of ball, he must do so with the determination that,come hell or high water, he will get to punch the ball way out of danger.

Sorry but what was incorrect about my above comment?

Hennelly was at fault for the 1st goal but there was nothing stopping Mayo winning the game from then on. And Hennelly's save from O'Gara when Caff got got out was one of the best you'll ever see (keeping them in the game).

The exact same mistake was made by Clarke in last years final but luckily Murphy punched over the bar. Hennelly is better than Clarke all round for me.

So to sum up, Clarke was absolutely no loss to Mayo on Sunday because Hennelly has shown himself to be his equal, if not better.
    The incedent in the Donegal final was different as Clarke was forced to come to stop Murphy gathering the ball. To me Clarke did well in that situation. Hennelly made a poor and costly decision for the goal on Sunday. I don't want to castigate the man, mistakes happen and goalkeeper mistakes are always highlighted and he has been very good besides. My main point is about the general soft nature of the goals Mayo concede in AI finals. Its hard to win when you let the opposition have largely unearned goals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement