Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ronaldson was dropped by Horan before right, then went off to Australia for a bit? Could be worth revisiting but IIRC he wasn't a big player, would need conditioning before being brought back to the fold

I thought he was an upcoming star at minor and U21? I don't remember his really at senior outside of FBD games.
    There is also O'shea no 3 and O'connor no 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

yop wrote: »
    I thought he was an upcoming star at minor and U21? I don't remember his really at senior outside of FBD games.
    There is also O'shea no 3 and O'connor no 2.

I actually recall him playing a sweeper role for John O'Mahony in some games, but dont know much about his Inter County career.

Are they scoring forwards though?

Id look towards Tommy Conroy from this years minor team more than them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

GBXI wrote: »
    How do you know? As I said, Clarke made the exact same mistake in the final last year. And him an experienced keeper ;)
    How do you know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I told you what happened, Clarke missed the ball completely, impeding Caff along the way, and Murphy punched over the bar. Poor goal-keeping.

Thar's what Moran said it meant to him, not anyone else. A crucial save though that probably stopped us from being hammered. No more than the list of unreal saves Hennelly made on Sunday.

Exactly, 1 point as oppossed to 3. He came and hit both Caff and Murhpy so he couldn't hit the ball down. He contested the ball and put Murphy off.

So Moran felt that save was important to him?

I actually recall him playing a sweeper role for John O'Mahony in some games, but dont know much about his Inter County career.

Are they scoring forwards though?

Id look towards Tommy Conroy from this years minor team more than them

Conroy was a fine player. Liam Irwin has all the tricks but he looks extremely slow if thats a fair statement to make.
    Regan has been touted for a few years.
    AK lives away doesn't he or something? Always thought he was a good player.

Correct about Jimmy Kileen re free's though nothing wrong with having more than one reliable free taker either. A scorer is a scorer.

Out of the U21 who do we see coming through?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

HON MAYO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The goal Irwin got against Roscommon was majestic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

Exactly, 1 point as oppossed to 3. He came and hit both Caff and Murhpy so he couldn't hit the ball down. He contested the ball and put Murphy off.

So Moran felt that save was important to him?

Sorry but you're clutching at straws here. And you know I'm right!
    Murphy should have scored the goal, no doubt. Clarke's decision-making was poor in that instance. He came out and clattered Caff but didn't touch Murphy, he even tried to catch the flippin' thing!

Sorry but you're clutching at straws here. And you know I'm right!
    Murphy should have scored the goal, no doubt. Clarke's decision-making was poor in that instance. He came out and clattered Caff but didn't touch Murphy, he even tried to catch the flippin' thing!

I'm speaking from a point where I played years and years in goal and worked with Eircom league goal keepers, attended goal keeping coaching course and have actually worked with Hennelly at underage for 2 years.

Your not right I'm sorry. Have a good at the video here and tell us what happens:
    11th minute.
    He makes contact with the man (2) of them and puts Murphy off, therefore not conceeding a goal.

Then look at what happens here, whats his starting position, whats his leading leg and where are his arms? Note where he starts his jump and where he lands.
    What contact did he make with the ball and/or man?

I asked you already about Morans point and you said "Thar's what Moran said it meant to him, not anyone else", and you probably believe that too.
    Have a read about what Horan said on that point, here is the article
    http://www.hoganstand.com/mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176586
    Also note he was stand-in captain, you don't achieve that from not been at the top of your game.

Read what Maughan said about that point in the game, I don't have a link to that but it was a radio interview.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The goal Irwin got against Roscommon was majestic.

Top class wasn't it. He did similar in Croker again the cheeky mare! :D

http://balls.ie/gaa/goal-of-the-season-from-mayo-minor/

• Advertisement

I really think Conroy and possibly Conor Loftus are the only minor forwards that could eventually make the step up.

U21s? Regan, Shaugnessy, Adam Gallagher?

I really think Conroy and possibly Conor Loftus are the only minor forwards that could eventually make the step up.

U21s? Regan, Shaugnessy, Adam Gallagher?

Regan is playing hurling too isn't he? Will he stick at it?
    DAnny Kirby has had some great games at underage and with Mitchels, is a bit lad and has began to bulk out. Played with him when he was young lad and has bags of potential.
    Coen has gone quite too, expect him to return?
    Gallagher I would be shocked if he didn't make it and Durkan to a lesser extent.

But the progression from Minor to U21 to Senior is massive and when college/work and social life or injury comes into it then lads heads are turned. How many times have we seen exceptional young talent not progress.

I do think COC will become one of the best forwards to pull on the red and green, will he be that "marquee" forward, another year will tell a tale, that shoulder is a big issue but fully fixable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

I'm speaking from a point where I played years and years in goal and worked with Eircom league goal keepers, attended goal keeping coaching course and have actually worked with Hennelly at underage for 2 years.

Your not right I'm sorry. Have a good at the video here and tell us what happens:
    11th minute.
    He makes contact with the man (2) of them and puts Murphy off, therefore not conceeding a goal.

Then look at what happens here, whats his starting position, whats his leading leg and where are his arms? Note where he starts his jump and where he lands.
    What contact did he make with the ball and/or man?

I asked you already about Morans point and you said "Thar's what Moran said it meant to him, not anyone else", and you probably believe that too.
    Have a read about what Horan said on that point, here is the article
    http://www.hoganstand.com/mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176586
    Also note he was stand-in captain, you don't achieve that from not been at the top of your game.

Read what Maughan said about that point in the game, I don't have a link to that but it was a radio interview.

He did not put Murphy off. He left his goal empty, hammered it his full-back, barely touched Murphy, all the while trying to catch the ball into his chest! Again, poor decision-making, just like Hennelly's on Sunday. Murphy's reaction shows he knew he could have scored a goal.

You're getting confused over your quotes and saves. Andy Moran is quoted as having said Clarke's save in the final from McFadden (having just conceded 2 goals) was crucial in showing they weren't going to lie down and take a hammering again. The save in the semi v Brogan was crucial in getting them to the final, no doubt.

I don't think Clarke did much to put off Murphy there at all, just got a bit of luck that Murphy didn't hit the target. In Sunday's game the forward got the bit of luck rather than the goalie.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Can anyone shed any light on Higgins attempted point at the very start of the game on Sunday. I was at the game but at the far end of the Cusack stand, so couldn’t see it too well. Umpires called for hawkeye – and when it came up on the screen it looked like it hit the post (even though it went over the posts) and said MISS. Watched it again on tv yesterday and even the commentators seemed a bit confused by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The forwards badly need a shake up. New players and coaching. Leave Higgins up there and perhaps play McLoughlin in the backs. Throw Barry Moran in as well. The warning signs were there after the Tyrone match but they weren't heeded. All this talk about needing 'marquee' forwards is just a cliché that gets thrown out every time Mayo look shaky up front, they need to play as a tight cohesive unit, and Moran and O'Connor being fully-fit next year will give us a good foundation for improvement. Freeman has made serious improvements this year also and will play a crucial role in any comeback next year.

But what could have been done between Tyrone and the final ?

Cillian was always a doubt
    Freeman was MOTM match but had to go off early
    The likes of Conroy. Doherty etc were all seriously lacking game time
    Higgins, though brilliant at 11, was always going to be required to help at the back also.

It's was just s**t luck that all year the part of the pitch where they were weakest was where the most injuries were.
    And on the day that was compounded by Freeman going off.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on Higgins attempted point at the very start of the game on Sunday. I was at the game but at the far end of the Cusack stand, so couldn’t see it too well. Umpires called for hawkeye – and when it came up on the screen it looked like it hit the post (even though it went over the posts) and said MISS. Watched it again on tv yesterday and even the commentators seemed a bit confused by it.

When Hawkeye is invoked if the ball would have touched the post it's considered a miss as Hawkeye can't judge where it would have bounced off the post to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Darragh Doherty looks an exciting prospect aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Still images don't tell anything when it comes to sports. The ball ends up going from Brogan's hand downwards so there's not necessarily anything wrong with Hennelly's positioning in that picture. Not saying his positioning is correct either, just that you can't tell from a still.

On another note, thought this article was a pretty good response to all the overreaction and blame-gaming that's been going on in the aftermath of the game.

http://spailpin.blogspot.ie/2013/09/mayo-football-is-alive-and-well.html

Really good article Keane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When Hawkeye is invoked if the ball would have touched the post it's considered a miss as Hawkeye can't judge where it would have bounced off the post to.

its only the blue virtual post, if it even looks like it hit the blue virtual post its a miss as the rules state any ball the goes over the top of the post is wide.

seligehgit wrote: »

Yeah I don't read that blog as often as I should, it's usually very good.
    irishgeo wrote: »
    its only the blue virtual post, if it even looks like it hit the blue virtual post its a miss as the rules state any ball the goes over the top of the post is wide.

Yeah I think this is correct.

Darragh Doherty looks an exciting prospect aswell

All that concerns me about Darragh is that he is playing corner forward for a good team in the Intermediate championship, and has only managed to score 1 or 2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'm not convinced Hennelly was at fault for the first goal.
    Same here and 9 times out of ten i think Cafferkey would have got his fist to clear the ball.

Watching back the game last night. I see the Andy Moran point on 25 minutes was Mayos last from open play, he scored a goal against the run of play in the 2nd half however going 45 minutes without a point from play was as much the reason for losing than anything else IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Same here and 9 times out of ten i think Cafferkey would have got his fist to clear the ball.

Watching back the game last night. I see the Andy Moran point on 25 minutes was Mayos last from open play, he scored a goal against the run of play in the 2nd half however going 45 minutes without a point from play was as much the reason for losing than anything else IMO.

That's shocking

It was our worst championship performance since Sligo 2012 IMO

Pity it had to happen in the showpiece :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »

Good read alright. One piece that stuck out for me was this.

The greatest mystery of all is that of Cillian O’Connor. Cillian O’Connor has racked up 6-22, an average of eight points a game to make him the top scorer in this year’s Championship, and then turn around and say that Mayo don’t have one marquee forward. If the top-scorer of the Championship isn’t a marquee forward, who in God’s holy name is?

In the past Conor Mortimer has finished top championship scorer (and scored as much as O'Connor this summer) however how many would tag him as marquee forward now? it seems in the views of most pundits to be a marquee forward you have to win the All Ireland?

• Advertisement

Think the draw is soon enough isn't it?

That's bound to cheer people up. Seeing we may have to win two matches against Ros/Sligo/galway/Leitrim/London to make Croke Park in August

Barring half the team retiring we should walk Connacht again

WJ sums it up well in the MayoGAA Blog. fans may be upset now but need to be optimistic about next year. Since 2011: Champ semi-league final-champ final- league semi- champ final

To sum up, our route to a third final in a row is two Connacht teams- back door team- ageing Kerry or (most likely) rebuilding Cork.

Ulster is where you'd imagine a team could come and have a super year but they'll be in the other half to us. Saying that it'd surprise me if Donegal reached 2012 heights (bet they're really regretting league relegation now), and I think Tyrone won't improve enough in 12 months to be an AI contender. Dubs will walk leinster as things stand and no one else here will improve that dramatically in 12 months surely. Early days but need to have the optimism

There are not all that many super teams out there right now and now is a great time to act- Cork could be a force in the near future, Tyrone could come good etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

There was a debate in here before Sundays game comparing the current Mayo team with those in 1996,97 and it didn't go down so well as the opinion was the forwards are much better now.

Mayo were one of the AI contenders in 98 but a Galway side full of underage talent knocked them out and unexpectedly and went on to win the All Ireland. Now the same is unlikely to happen however Galway aren't going to be down forever they showed signs against Cork that they are on the rise and having won two U21 All Irelands in three years they have a panel that is full of potential again. Sligo will be under new management and when fully focused they are tough nut to crack and the rossies with their underage talent coming through are sure to improve as well. My point is Connacht may not be the walk in the park the most Mayo supporters will be expecting.

There was a debate in here before Sundays game comparing the current Mayo team with those in 1996,97 and it didn't go down so well as the opinion was the forwards are much better now.

Mayo were one of the AI contenders in 98 but a Galway side full of underage talent knocked them out and unexpectedly and went on to win the All Ireland. Now the same is unlikely to happen however Galway aren't going to be down forever they showed signs against Cork that they are on the rise and having won two U21 All Irelands in three years they have a panel that is full of potential again. Sligo will be under new management and when fully focused they are tough nut to crack and the rossies are with underage talent coming through are sure to improve as well. My point is Connacht may not be the walk in the park the most Mayo supporters will be expecting.

If we are to have realistic ambitions and to bounce back we ought to be breezing through Connacht

I intend no disrespect to opposition teams but they are light years off Mayo's level. It's not me being overly optimistic, looking for some consolation after sunday- it's a fact. Just like Dublin are way out ahead in Leinster

Every team is division 3 or below bar Galway but I really think Cork made them look better than they were that day. watched it in full and Cork were woeful

Mayo would have beaten that Cork team by 20 points that day. Mayo beat them handy in 2011 a year after they won an AI. That Mayo team was much inferior to now.

I think Galway will probably emerge again in a few years but certainly not yet.

Roscommon have had two really disappointing Connacht championships now. Don't really see how they'll suddenly improve enough to trouble us

Sligo have nothing coming through and just had an awful year. A new manager coming in, he won't improve them that dramatically in a few months.

No right now Mayo are by a mile the best team in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Gerry91 wrote: »
    If we are to have realistic ambitions and to bounce back we ought to be breezing through Connacht

I intend no disrespect to opposition teams but they are light years off Mayo's level. It's not me being overly optimistic, looking for some consolation after sunday- it's a fact. Just like Dublin are way out ahead in Leinster

Every team is division 3 or below bar Galway but I really think Cork made them look better than they were that day. watched it in full and Cork were woeful

Mayo would have beaten that Cork team by 20 points that day. Mayo beat them handy in 2011 a year after they won an AI. That Mayo team was much inferior to now.

I think Galway will probably emerge again in a few years but certainly not yet.

Roscommon have had two really disappointing Connacht championships now. Don't really see how they'll suddenly improve enough to trouble us

Sligo have nothing coming through and just had an awful year. A new manager coming in, he won't improve them that dramatically in a few months.

No right now Mayo are by a mile the best team in it.

You have the qualifiers now as well which you didn't have in '98

The boys have started taking to Twitter anyway

Adamant they'll be back and stronger than ever

Of course it's easy say it! Having the same management team will be a great help, hope it is

Like last winter the focus was on beating Donegal think James will be looking at Dublin that early this year

• Advertisement

You have the qualifiers now as well which you didn't have in '98

As well as that, football was a completely different game in 98 (excuse the cliche!)

Players nowadays are generally far more powerful, fitter, faster, there's way more emphasis on the s and c aspect of the game, not to mention the professional aspect

Teams like Mayo (and Dublin and Donegal in 2012) have blown most others out of the water in these aspects. You only have to look back on May in Pearse Stadium and see the difference in both teams' pre match warm up and approach

Being more skillful, having more quality than the opposition isn't always necessarily enough anymore

A division 3 or even division 2 team coming from nowhere and beating a top division one side in championship will very seldom happen in this day and age.

Of course you could point to Donegal but they weren't a top division one side this year as the league showed and the year after winning an AI is always tough to pick yourself up for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I really think Cork made them look better than they were that day. watched it in full and Cork were woeful

I watched it back and they weren't woeful. In the following game Dublin only bet Cork by 5 points your are having a laugh if you think Mayo would have beaten Cork by 20 points.

As well as that, football was a completely different game in 98 (excuse the cliche!)

Players nowadays are generally far more powerful, fitter, faster, there's way more emphasis on the s and c aspect of the game, not to mention the professional aspect

Teams like Mayo (and Dublin and Donegal in 2012) have blown most others out of the water in these aspects. You only have to look back on May in Pearse Stadium and see the difference in both teams' pre match warm up and approach

Being more skillful, having more quality than the opposition isn't always necessarily enough anymore

A division 3 or even division 2 team coming from nowhere and beating a top division one side in championship will very seldom happen in this day and age.

Of course you could point to Donegal but they weren't a top division one side this year as the league showed and the year after winning an AI is always tough to pick yourself up for

Somewhat contradicting yourself there. When i look back on Galway v Mayo game last may i see one side that were poorly prepared and defending poorly throughout the game. No reason why a side like Galway can't give Mayo a decent game like Tyrone did in the semi final.

The team that has won All Ireland over the last few decades were nearly always more powerful,fitter,faster and more professional than their opposition. Todays game is over hyped i could count on one hand the amount of top games this years and the final on Sunday was one of the worst for some time.

Somewhat contradicting yourself there. When i look back on Galway v Mayo game last may i see one side that were poorly prepared and defending poorly throughout the game. No reason why a side like Galway can't give Mayo a decent game like Tyrone did in the semi final.

?

Because Tyrone are a good bit better than Galway perhaps?

Tyrone are a top division one side, galway division 2

I watched it back and they weren't woeful. In the following game Dublin only bet Cork by 5 points your are having a laugh if you think Mayo would have beaten Cork by 20 points.

You realise no two matches are the same right? Cork improved a bit v Dublin, yet still Dublin always were in control

Galway dominated all the first half, Cork didn't turn up at all. Naivety lost Galway that match. It was very encouraging for them though

If Mayo, who are far superior now, could beat Cork who had just won an All Ireland in 2011, how much would they beat them by now seriously?

It reminds me of earlier in the year, I couldn't get over how people (including 3 sunday game panelists) thought galway would actually beat Mayo.

Because Galway were a powerhouse over ten years ago by now, people always think they'll have one good year from nowhere. Waterford could have beat them this year

they have a long LONG way to go to challenge Mayo

Anyway Galway v Cork is not as relevant in this discussion as Mayo v Galway 17 pts

?

Because Tyrone are a good bit better than Galway perhaps?

Tyrone are a top division one side, galway division 2

Monaghan,Meath,Roscommon were all playing out of div 3 this year and all of them got within two points and arguably should have beaten Tyrone.

TBH it will be good for Connacht senior football if it gets back to the level it was in 1996-2001. Currently at underage/club level Connacht football is arguably the best.

Monaghan,Meath,Roscommon were all playing out of div 3 this year and all of them got within two points and arguably should have beaten Tyrone.

TBH i will be good for Connacht football if it gets back to the level it was in 1996-2001.

Fair point

Anyway, I was just pointing out why we should realistically expect to be winning Connacht next year. We hammered everyone this don't think it's mad to expect the same again next year. We'll see

I'd be very disappointed if the lads felt any way threatened by Galway. The Winter should be looking at the likes of Dublin and how to approach them in 2014 and to a lesser extent the Kerry's, Tyrone's and Cork's

Ya I agree but I hope it's more down to other teams improving and getting towards the level Mayo are at now, than Mayo regressing.

Fair point

Anyway, I was just pointing out why we should realistically expect to be winning Connacht next year. We hammered everyone this don't think it's mad to expect the same again next year. We'll see

I'd be very disappointed if the lads felt any way threatened by Galway. The Winter should be looking at the likes of Dublin and how to approach them in 2014 and to a lesser extent the Kerry's, Tyrone's and Cork's

Ya I agree but I hope it's more down to other teams improving and getting towards the level Mayo are at now, than Mayo regressing.

No two years are the same and if Galway,Roscommon had perfomed as poorly as they did against Mayo when they played Tyrone,Cork they would also have got hammered. The rest in Connacht have to improve what they are doing at the moment is simply not good enough.

Mayo were one of the AI contenders in 98 but a Galway side full of underage talent knocked them out and unexpectedly and went on to win the All Ireland. Now the same is unlikely to happen however Galway aren't going to be down forever they showed signs against Cork that they are on the rise and having won two U21 All Irelands in three years they have a panel that is full of potential again. Sligo will be under new management and when fully focused they are tough nut to crack and the rossies with their underage talent coming through are sure to improve as well. My point is Connacht may not be the walk in the park the most Mayo supporters will be expecting.

You are correct to a certain extent, Mayo could very well get ambushed in Coannught
    But it depends more on Mayo's state of mind that anything any other team are bringing to the table.
    Will they be jaded from the efforts for the past 3 seasons or will they have one more kick left in them ?
    If it is the latter then I don't think that Galway will have improved enough by then to topple them, plus the game will be in Castlebar.
    The others are even further behind

If Galway make it to League Div 1 then it may make for an interesting match up v Mayo when ever it may occur in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mayo have Galway in Castlebar. They'll win that, D1 or no D1 for Galway. The journey to the Hyde is the one where the Horan train derails ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Teams in Connacht are not going to show mayo any respect next year, they have failed again, when you win an all Ireland and return to Connacht like Galway in 98 and 01 then you earn respect!

• Advertisement

Teams in Connacht are not going to show mayo any respect next year, they have failed again, when you win an all Ireland and return to Connacht like Galway in 98 and 01 then you earn respect!

**** off please, you only come on this thread to slag Mayo just **** off

I know you are a troll and/or a WUM but I'm going to reply to you anyway

Who the hell mentioned respect ?

I know you are a troll and/or a WUM but I'm going to reply to you anyway

Who the hell mentioned respect ?

People are talking here about mayo breezing through Connacht and showing disrespect to the other counties in Connacht , roscommon are emerging with talent, Galway are u 21 champions, maybe if mayo people where less arrogant when they win a few matches they would win an all Ireland , problem is they believe the ****e their own supporters build them up with, manage the ****e and ye might manage to win an all Ireland and maybe get + 6 forwards as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The Galway fans paid their respects earlier this summer. Fifteen Galway men executed while the entire country watched on.

The Galway fans paid their respects earlier this summer. Fifteen Galway men executed while the entire country watched on.

They have just as many all Ireland medals as the mayo players but a better chance in the long run!!!!

They have just as many all Ireland medals as the mayo players but a better chance in the long run!!!!

Go home to the Galway thread im so sick of your shiiit

A better chance of what?

A better chance of what?

What Galway achieved in 98 after mayo failed in 96 and 97!

You should pop into the bookies in the morning. Paddy Power would be delighted to see ya ;)

• Advertisement

Lads, I knew it, hes actually deluded!

Galway do not have a better chance at winning next year than Mayo, everyone knows that surely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement