Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Lads, I knew it, hes actually deluded!

Galway do not have a better chance at winning next year than Mayo, everyone knows that surely

Everybody knows Galway will come very close next year. London never put teams away by a big margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You should pop into the bookies in the morning. Paddy Power would be delighted to see ya ;)

And when you are finished in Paddy Power, go back to 2001, when you were last relevant, or better still 1998, seeing as you mentioned it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

And when you are finished in Paddy Power, go back to 2001, when you were last relevant, or better still 1998, seeing as you mentioned it yourself.

I agree it's been way to long, unacceptable but at least there was electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I agree it's been way to long, unacceptable but at least there was electricity

So you serioulsy think Galway at the moment are better positioned to win an AI before Mayo? Ypu really really believe that?? Good man, i'll have whatever you're having:rolleyes:

So you serioulsy think Galway at the moment are better positioned to win an AI before Mayo? Ypu really really believe that?? Good man, i'll have whatever you're having:rolleyes:

I bottle of cop on so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There is no doubting in the mind of any sane person as to who the strongest team in Connacht is at the moment. Mayo, by some considerable distance. Galway, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, London and New York are all varying yet still considerable distances behind Mayo. Of this there is no doubt. Mayo have won 6 Connacht titles since 2003, Galway have 3 and Sligo and Roscommon have one apiece. Mayo have been dominant for the past 3 years, with victories in '11, '12 and '13. I would lay any money that '14 will see them there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To be honest I can see Mayo walking Connacht again . The teams are really and truly so far behind them it's unreal . I can honestly see Mayo having a big say next year when it comes to who will win the All Ireland . They might have lost on Sunday but they are a quality outfit and will give any of the big teams a good game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Gerry91 wrote: »
    You realise no two matches are the same right? Cork improved a bit v Dublin, yet still Dublin always were in control

Galway dominated all the first half, Cork didn't turn up at all. Naivety lost Galway that match. It was very encouraging for them though

If Mayo, who are far superior now, could beat Cork who had just won an All Ireland in 2011, how much would they beat them by now seriously?

It reminds me of earlier in the year, I couldn't get over how people (including 3 sunday game panelists) thought galway would actually beat Mayo.

Because Galway were a powerhouse over ten years ago by now, people always think they'll have one good year from nowhere. Waterford could have beat them this year

they have a long LONG way to go to challenge Mayo

Anyway Galway v Cork is not as relevant in this discussion as Mayo v Galway 17 pts

Look at where Mayo were as recently as 2010. It doesn't take that long for a county such as Galway/Mayo to emerge from the doldrums, especially with young talent coming through. You're referencing beating Cork in 2011, do you not remember them giving Mayo a bit of a pasting in the league final of 2012? You can't look at it as simply as 'we beat them in 2011. so we'd hammer them now.'

As for Galway, the game against Cork is far more relevant than the 17 point hammering, as Galway weren't resorting to playing 3 novices in the full back line who fell apart, and then going down to 13 men with indiscipline. Galway are much better than that. Obviously there is a fair way to go to catch up on an excellent Mayo side, but don't dismiss them completely as they should be a decent outfit next year. If anything that's a positive for Mayo who might have a competitive game early in the championship.
    Teams in Connacht are not going to show mayo any respect next year, they have failed again, when you win an all Ireland and return to Connacht like Galway in 98 and 01 then you earn respect!

Will you shut up and stop making yourself/us look bad. If you were funny at least it'd be something, rather than sounding like a child.

I know you're just responding to the troll, but try to ignore rather than offend the rest of us! FYI Galway last won Connacht in 2008, which is as much as Mayo have done recently, so either we've both been relevant in the past 10 years or neither has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

DazMarz wrote: »
    There is no doubting in the mind of any sane person as to who the strongest team in Connacht is at the moment. Mayo, by some considerable distance. Galway, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, London and New York are all varying yet still considerable distances behind Mayo. Of this there is no doubt. Mayo have won 6 Connacht titles since 2003, Galway have 3 and Sligo and Roscommon have one apiece. Mayo have been dominant for the past 3 years, with victories in '11, '12 and '13. I would lay any money that '14 will see them there again.

Reading back i don't see anywhere that anyone is doubting Mayo are the best by some distance in Connacht however this time last year the same was said about Donegal in Ulster yet Monaghan playing out of div 3 and having not won a provincial title since the 80s changed that. As Fr Tod said a few posts back it depends on the state of mind and are Mayo ready to kick on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I still expect Mayo to win Connacht but we cannot let complacency sink in. All the Connacht teams will be gunning for Mayo, it will take serious mental fortitude to bounce back after all that's happened over the previous two years. There is of course the danger that tiredness and fatigue will set in, like it did in 98 when Galway got the better of us. At least now we have the qualifiers to make use of if need be, I really believe the hunger is there among the players to give it another shot, the talent hasn't just disappeared over night but two disappointing years has to take its toll on all involved, there were certainly players who were visibly fatigued this year, not just from the heat on Sunday. A good rest over the winter and a serious statement in the league will see us right back in contention come May.

Unfortunately until we win the AI we will just have to put up with the taunts from opposing fans, with a record like ours we can't expect any less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo will win Connaught, don't heed that rubbish about Galway. Ye have been on here long enough to ignore daft comments like that.

As a Mayo lad said to me yesterday, Galway hurlers - lost 5 AI finals in a row now, since 1951 they have been in 16 AI finals, they have lost 13.
    So for our Galway brethren, your hurlers are on a par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Look at where Mayo were as recently as 2010. It doesn't take that long for a county such as Galway/Mayo to emerge from the doldrums, especially with young talent coming through.

But Mayo in 2011 did not have an All Ireland finalist to deal with in the province, that is a big difference.

Yea Galway will improve, but will they improve enough to dethrone Mayo at home ?

If Mayo have the correct mindset, and believe me that is still a very big if, then Galway will be waiting another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    When Hawkeye is invoked if the ball would have touched the post it's considered a miss as Hawkeye can't judge where it would have bounced off the post to.

This is it,
    1375262_3606611580523_613596395_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is it

Yeah so actually that doesn't even look like a borderline case where the ball probably would have gone in off the post if the post was taller.

It was a bad miss actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If Galway are to meet Mayo I can see them going all out to dethrone ye. But we are way behind atm, even though the qualifier duck was broken and we should have reached the QFs. I can't see Connacht being as much of a stroll for ye though, as I can't see where the hunger for it will come from. At the same time, tough, close games can't do any team in Connacht any harm.

I don't think there's many in Galway that would be disappointed to see ye win an AI but until ye do there'll always be doubts about the mental strength of Mayo teams. To win it out next year would be an amazing achievement but either way, I see Connacht throwing up more issues next year than it did this year.

yop wrote: »
    Mayo will win Connaught, don't heed that rubbish about Galway. Ye have been on here long enough to ignore daft comments like that.

As a Mayo lad said to me yesterday, Galway hurlers - lost 5 AI finals in a row now, since 1951 they have been in 16 AI finals, they have lost 13.

Are you not a Mod? If so, ban the troll instead of wailing like a girl anytime anyone comes on and criticizes your precious team. Grand, our hurlers are on a par (bar the one extra All Ireland). You've given up trying to be compared to our football history so?
    But Mayo in 2011 did not have an All Ireland finalist to deal with in the province, that is a big difference.

Yea Galway will improve, but will they improve enough to dethrone Mayo at home ?

If Mayo have the correct mindset, and believe me that is still a very big if, then Galway will be waiting another year.

I'm a probability man. I'd give us a 20-25% chance of beating Mayo in Castlebar, which is feck all really but the chance is there and shouldn't be completely dismissed. I'm under no illusion that'll have to be a severe underperformance from Mayo to give us a chance. Also, regardless of the result, mayo are far more likely to be there at the business end of championship. Still though, being completely dismissed is wrong and not at all in keeping with the history of Galway/Mayo. I'm sure Galway weren't expecting to be well beaten in 1967 having secured their 3rd AI, and likewise Mayo being well beaten in 2007 having been to an All Ireland the previous September.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are you not a Mod? If so, ban the troll instead of wailing like a girl anytime anyone comes on and criticizes your precious team. Grand, our hurlers are on a par (bar the one extra All Ireland). You've given up trying to be compared to our football history so?

No I am not a mod on here and no I am not wailing like a girl :rolleyes:
    Well Galway have no recent history, so hard to compare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lot of posts are borderline on here, can we please keep it civil, and any posts that are deemed to be from a WUM will be dealt with severly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just on this. It's a little ingenious abut that. Sure for years werent Galway against the Ulster winners 1/3 of the time so thats an AI after 2 games, you'll get there being ok, football is more competitive so it isnt a lack of quality but more likely a mental block affecting the players/management. Anyway the hurlers managed to win some.

On another topics, mayo are getting very defensive after one gob from galway makes a show of himself while pretty much the entire county was rooting for ye, could ye at least acknowledge that the counties are on good terms and deal with that one lad without tarring the rest of us. btw, I'm galway on the border where you'd think the rivalry should be at its most entrenched.

Just on this. It's a little ingenious abut that. Sure for years werent Galway against the Ulster winners 1/3 of the time so thats an AI after 2 games, you'll get there being ok, football is more competitive so it isnt a lack of quality but more likely a mental block affecting the players/management. Anyway the hurlers managed to win some.

On another topics, mayo are getting very defensive after one gob from galway makes a show of himself while pretty much the entire county was rooting for ye, could ye at least acknowledge that the counties are on good terms and deal with that one lad without tarring the rest of us. btw, I'm galway on the border where you'd think the rivalry should be at its most entrenched.

This is gone totally off topic so I am going to leave it at this, but after all the rubbish Mayo people working in Galway have had to listen to in the last 3 day then I would say definitely not. Boys who didn't show their face after Salthill were at the desk at 9am on Monday morning.

The hurlers managed to lose more than Mayo have and thats a fact. As said to me yesterday "Ah ye Mayo boys always have excuses".
    It was awful quite last year when Donegal beat us, I wonder why that was.
    As I said, Galway boys enjoy a Mayo loss these days more than their own team winning, which wouldn't be hard.
    I must remember to jump up and down when the hurlers lose again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Sure for years werent Galway against the Ulster winners 1/3 of the time so thats an AI after 2 games

Brush up on your history, it was never Connacht v Ulster in the hurling semis :rolleyes:

And go easy on yop, it's tough work modding the notorious Interior Design and Decoration :D

And go easy on yop, it's tough work modding the notorious Interior Design and Decoration :D

Come on over sometime and you can learn about painting and curtains ;)

As I said, Galway boys enjoy a Mayo loss these days more than their own team winning, which wouldn't be hard.

Jesus you're spouting some crap now. I'm not surprised, I read this thread quite regularly and always thought your offerings were fairly pathetic. 95% of Galway people I know were shouting for Mayo, as we were with your minors and anytime Ballina or Crossmolina made it to Croker. Any slagging I'm sure was in response to the '17 points' stuff we've been hearing since May. Half of Mayo works in Galway so i suppose its not hard to find one or two whinging about being bullied in work on the Monday

Jesus you're spouting some crap now. I'm not surprised, I read this thread quite regularly and always thought your offerings were fairly pathetic. 95% of Galway people I know were shouting for Mayo, as we were with your minors and anytime Ballina or Crossmolina made it to Croker. Any slagging I'm sure was in response to the '17 points' stuff we've been hearing since May. Half of Mayo works in Galway so i suppose its not hard to find one or two whinging about being bullied in work on the Monday

Based on what? Examples would be great. I can't say I take any heed of what you say and I generally leave lads with their opinions, that is what the forums are about, not calling them pathetic.

This is gone totally off topic so I am going to leave it at this, but after all the rubbish Mayo people working in Galway have had to listen to in the last 3 day then I would say definitely not. Boys who didn't show their face after Salthill were at the desk at 9am on Monday morning.

The hurlers managed to lose more than Mayo have and thats a fact. As said to me yesterday "Ah ye Mayo boys always have excuses".
    It was awful quite last year when Donegal beat us, I wonder why that was.
    I must remember to jump up and down when the hurlers lose again.

I havent met one Galway lad who was genuinely up for dublin without family reasons. I also already explained why the galway hurlers would have lost more finals, not down to mentality as much as mayo but relative quiality of the team (galway hurlers finals with less games than mayo and no real provincials to have to bother with, years in munster excepted). Now if you cant understand that you can keep sledging but you're not better than the galway lad who kicked it off, you personally, not all of mayo (seperating the individual from the group, i suggest you try it)

Brush up on your history, it was never Connacht v Ulster in the hurling semis :rolleyes:

fair enough, thought it was rotated like the football

Based on what? Examples would be great. I can't say I take any heed of what you say and I generally leave lads with their opinions, that is what the forums are about, not calling them pathetic.

well if you are misrepresenting people and insulting them baselessly then maybe he should call you up on it, or put you on ignore. Troglodyte, I genuinely cant understand how you ended up as a mod.

In fairness there was a fair bit of begrudgery in mayo when Galway won in 1998 and 2001, the way mayo supporters acted in pearse stadium this year was less than sporting and they showed a lot of arrogance. I would normally support mayo but that day turned me against them especially Andy Morans celebration after his goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

This is a Mayo GAA thread - I don't understand why lads are talking so much about Galway, and certain posters coming in to argue with another poster, get this back on topic, cut out the personal sniding everyone - next poster to take it off topic is banned for a month!

• Advertisement

I'm off, if it's any consolation I love yer women!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

As a Dublin fan I just want to say genuine commiserations. The game today really could've gone either way and unfortunately for you the Boys in Blue just about came out victorious. That doesn't deny the fact that you've a fantastic team and there's zero doubt in my mind that you'll win in All Ireland in the next couple of years No county and it's people deserve it more. On a final note I just want to say your fans are without a doubt the best in the country. Colour, noise, loyalty with grace in defeat. A credit. Your time will come. Believe me.
    WELL SAID!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I've had texts and emails from all over Connacht and Ireland expressing genuine commiserations for our loss. A few tongue in cheek digs but I know the same people were rooting wholeheartedly for us last Sunday. I think this Mayo Galway divide stems more from UK soccer tradition, Man-U v Liverpool syndrome, than a genuine Irish thing.

Why can't we all just get along and collectively hate the Dubs like we always used to?

I really hope we get back to the final next year, full team and management intact, and finish this thing once and for all.
    (But this time I think I'll go for a long walk on the beach for that 3rd Sunday in September, and find out the result when I get home).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I'm off, if it's any consolation I love yer women!

Your aren't so bad either.

Seems Richie Feeney had stomach bug on Saturday which ruled him out of playing on Sunday. Not the 1st time we have had rumours of himself and James falling out and the last time it was rubbish also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Seems Richie Feeney had stomach bug on Saturday which ruled him out of playing on Sunday. Not the 1st time we have had rumours of himself and James falling out and the last time it was rubbish also.

Cynic hat on for a minute here

I think his tweet is interesting though, Yop.

"Very disappointed on Sunday in many respects. Thanks for all well wishes and support. #bestfans Well done to minors on serious display."

That "many respects", suggests to me a possible annoyance at not seeing game time. Granted a 140 character non-verbal statement is always tough to analyse but combine that with some rumours of a falling out and it doesn't look good

Frustrating something like that would happen at such a crucial time

I hope to God if there's differences there, they patch them up because I think Richie could be a big player for us next term

I'm more annoyed at Freeman coming off and Higgins to corner back myself though :(

• Advertisement

Cynic hat on for a minute here

I think his tweet is interesting though, Yop.

"Very disappointed on Sunday in many respects. Thanks for all well wishes and support. #bestfans Well done to minors on serious display."

That "many respects", suggests to me a possible annoyance at not seeing game time. Granted a 140 character non-verbal statement is always tough to analyse but combine that with some rumours of a falling out and it doesn't look good

Frustrating something like that would happen at such a crucial time

I hope to God if there's differences there, they patch them up because I think Richie could be a big player for us next term

I'm more annoyed at Freeman coming off and Higgins to corner back myself though :(

From the horse mouth, so can understand that tweet ;)
    Freeman was also sick so that goes along way to explain that.

IF next year we can have a fully fit Moran, a fully fit O'Connor, Dillion gets that groin op sorted, McLoughs get a few months off to recharge, that Feeney isn't sick, that Clarke isn't injured (not starting that debate again).
    IF all them balls line up again then we can make another final.
    I do wonder now though if the "IFs" still won fix the problem and we have a serious mental block in senior finals! We are almost like Englands soccer team now at this stage.

Though the sickener about last Sunday was that even though all them "IFs" weren't fixed, that we had the best chance ever to win an AI title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

We lost by a point and he would have been worth at least that coming on.
    IF we make it next year we are surely due a bit of luck injury/illness wise......

km79 wrote: »
    We lost by a point and he would have been worth at least that coming on.
    IF we make it next year we are surely due a bit of luck injury/illness wise......

Ah ya but if he had zero energy from been sick then out in the heat of Croker on Sunday last was no where to be. Jeebus even for us in the stands it was hard to take the pressure!

From the horse mouth, so can understand that tweet ;)
    Freeman was also sick so that goes along way to explain that.

IF next year we can have a fully fit Moran, a fully fit O'Connor, Dillion gets that groin op sorted, McLoughs get a few months off to recharge, that Feeney isn't sick, that Clarke isn't injured (not starting that debate again).
    IF all them balls line up again then we can make another final.
    I do wonder now though if the "IFs" still won fix the problem and we have a serious mental block in senior finals! We are almost like Englands soccer team now at this stage.

Though the sickener about last Sunday was that even though all them "IFs" weren't fixed, that we had the best chance ever to win an AI title.

Yeah, completely agree.

The worst part of all is I can see Dublin being even stronger next year. If Brogan and Nolan are back fully fit they'll be huge boosts to them and with surely another player or two coming through in the league, club championship, under 21 or whatever (Furman for Ballymun e.g.) they'll have even more talent at their disposal. I think Mannion will be a super player next season

This Dublin team was beatable on Sunday. I felt like guys like McCaffrey, Brennan and KK could be got at and they were for the most part. Thing is I can see none of these starting next year, unless they improve (their young, they have time!).

Anyhow that's for another day. But yes it was left behind us no question

For the sheer heck of it, hypothetically do ye think that performance would have beaten kerry on sunday?

I don't myself given the forwards they have yet I think we are a better team than them no question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ah ya but if he had zero energy from been sick then out in the heat of Croker on Sunday last was no where to be. Jeebus even for us in the stands it was hard to take the pressure!
    Oh I did not mean it like that. I meant it was another stroke of bad luck for him to be struck down the day before the game. He was one of our impact subs equivalent to Bastick for them (albeit in a different role).
    Added to freeman being sick , O Connor , Clarke (whose experience was a loss IMO), Doherty and so on.
    I believe we would have won if even only Freeman was 100%.
    Ah feck I'm thinking about it again now and today had been going so well :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, completely agree.

The worst part of all is I can see Dublin being even stronger next year. If Brogan and Nolan are back fully fit they'll be huge boosts to them and with surely another player or two coming through in the league, club championship, under 21 or whatever (Furman for Ballymun e.g.) they'll have even more talent at their disposal. I think Mannion will be a super player next season

This Dublin team was beatable on Sunday. I felt like guys like McCaffrey, Brennan and KK could be got at and they were for the most part. Thing is I can see none of these starting next year, unless they improve (their young, they have time!).

Anyhow that's for another day. But yes it was left behind us no question

For the sheer heck of it, hypothetically do ye think that performance would have beaten kerry on sunday?

I don't myself given the forwards they have yet I think we are a better team than them no question

Not sure if you are referring to Mayo or Dublin but neither would have beaten Kerry last Sunday, would have been out of sight.

Our own performance!

Just a hypothetical question but one I was thinking of. As bad and all as this loss was, losing to an ageing Kerry team would be worse IMO given all they've done to us over the years

Oh I did not mean it like that. I meant it was another stroke of bad luck for him to be struck down the day before the game. He was one of our impact subs equivalent to Bastick for them (albeit in a different role).
    Added to freeman being sick , O Connor , Clarke (whose experience was a loss IMO), Doherty and so on.

LOL, same as. I think I need to be banned off the Mayo forum for a few months! :D (I'm sure Rebel Girl is saying I'm trying hard!) ;)

Losing to anyone is bad Gerry, just another to rack up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Positives for 2014:
    1. Andy Moran is a super leader to re-motivate both the players and the fans. Hearing him on Newstalk he really lets nothing get him down. Heard that said about him before that he just cannot be beaten down by anything.
    2. Adam Gallagher. Think he will be big player for us next year. Winter program will have him physically ready for it.
    3. Alan Freeman. For a big man he can move. The flu excuse ..... it was a bad substitution. He had minutes earlier blasted through two Dubs with power and pace.
    4. Midfield. OSheas need support of at least one half forward. It can't all be on them. Dublin have Flynn/Connolly. We need someone with height in there. Possibly Adam Gallagher could slot in as he has experience on kickouts.
    5. Bench. You would figure we're not losing anyone to retirement so the bench should strengthen as recent u21's filter through maybe Liam Irwin might benefit from being around the panel for an introductory year. He has the size and could be the freetaker while Cillian has time off.
    6. The Black card will favour the running game of the half backs. Most other teams are weak once they look past their first sub defender.
    All in all with the studious nature of Horan I'd be quite confident we'll be in better shape next year. But we need to better on the sideline on match day. Each line of the team should be monitored off the ball to see what changes are necessary. Off the ball you could see Alan Freeman was getting in good positions but was being ignored for the ball over the top of OCarroll. OCarroll was marking 6 yards in front, was perfect for a ball over the top.
    Clearly Kevin Keane/Shane McHale replacing an injured Tom Cunniffe is the correct call to leave Higgins in the forwards. Lucky for Mayo OGara was injured as OGara has a significant size advantage on Higgins. It was not a good matchup otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I have it from a good source that Freeman didn't have flu at all. Did you see his reaction when he was taken off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Any truth in the rumour that Buckley is leaving for a position elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

KMFCross wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that Buckley is leaving for a position elsewhere?

God I hope not,he really was a massive addition to the set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Just wondering does anyone else on here think that James Horan has taken this team as far as he can and that it might be a good time for a change at the top. I think there were some very poor decisions from the sideline last Sunday.I'd love to see Kevin McStay at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

James Horan is easily the best man for the job /

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Positives for 2014:
    1. Andy Moran is a super leader to re-motivate both the players and the fans. Hearing him on Newstalk he really lets nothing get him down. Heard that said about him before that he just cannot be beaten down by anything.
    2. Adam Gallagher. Think he will be big player for us next year. Winter program will have him physically ready for it.
    3. Alan Freeman. For a big man he can move. The flu excuse ..... it was a bad substitution. He had minutes earlier blasted through two Dubs with power and pace.
    4. Midfield. OSheas need support of at least one half forward. It can't all be on them. Dublin have Flynn/Connolly. We need someone with height in there. Possibly Adam Gallagher could slot in as he has experience on kickouts.
    5. Bench. You would figure we're not losing anyone to retirement so the bench should strengthen as recent u21's filter through maybe Liam Irwin might benefit from being around the panel for an introductory year. He has the size and could be the freetaker while Cillian has time off.
    6. The Black card will favour the running game of the half backs. Most other teams are weak once they look past their first sub defender.
    All in all with the studious nature of Horan I'd be quite confident we'll be in better shape next year. But we need to better on the sideline on match day. Each line of the team should be monitored off the ball to see what changes are necessary. Off the ball you could see Alan Freeman was getting in good positions but was being ignored for the ball over the top of OCarroll. OCarroll was marking 6 yards in front, was perfect for a ball over the top.
    Clearly Kevin Keane/Shane McHale replacing an injured Tom Cunniffe is the correct call to leave Higgins in the forwards. Lucky for Mayo OGara was injured as OGara has a significant size advantage on Higgins. It was not a good matchup otherwise.
    Andy Moran is a superb leader,great interview on Newstalk.He will absolutely vital to the cause next year and should be flying next year.
    Totally agree re the Freeman substitution,found it baffling.He was winning the high balls out in front of O Carroll.Alan has the potential to finally completely fulfill his undoubted potential and develop into a top class full forward.
    Not convinced Kevin Keane has played well enough this year to be a first choice at corner back,he was quite poor in the league.Shane McHale did very well when he covered for Cafferkey in the league and the Galway clash.
    Zippy should stay at centre forward,watched the game back and thought he alongside Keegan and Boyle were absolutely outstanding.Can't believe how quiet Donal Voughan was,he was severely curtailed going forward.
    To be honest I do not think we would have scored enough to beat Kerry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement