Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subliminal Suggestion

• 09-07-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm relatively new here but I have been one of those nonchalant lurkers boards has in abundance around these parts :D

I have had an interest in psychology (namely, Applied psychology) for a number of years - exactly how are we affected by subliminal messages in advertising or indeed as customers in a shop.

I'm sure you're probably wondering why I've bothered posting and that this is in the wrong forum but please, hear me out.

I was watching clips of Derren Brown in which he seemed to use words thrown in to a sentence that were disguised by his monologue. My question is this:

Is it as simple as, in the case of guessing a square or rectangle, for example, that one slides in 'Choose Square' in the middle of a sentence completely un-connected to it's content thus planting the seed for the other party to choose square? I have been thinking about this a while and it seems as though he uses a lot of relative phrases based on the subject he wants to convey.

As I mentioned, Im a novice when it comes to Illusions and Hypnosis.
    Any help or views would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

No. Derren says this is what he is doing, but really theres some other magic effect at play generally. The "psychology" stuff he references, is generally a false explanation or a misdirection.

Advertisement