Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian government begging unemployed Irish to take up jobs in Australia

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Um ..... you're only just finding this out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

I know, huh? :rolleyes:

They've been taking unemployed Irish since the 19th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

The story was only posted 3 days ago. There has always been plenty of jobs in Australia but now they are making a real drive to get people to go out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They can't get enough of Irish doctors, nurses and other medical professionals(same with Canada and the UK). Young people here should look to this area instead of dead end arts, business or engineering courses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Birdnuts wrote: »
    They can't get enough of Irish doctors, nurses and other medical professionals(same with Canada and the UK). Young people here should look to this area instead of dead end arts, business or engineering courses:)

Considering the article mentioned mining projects then engineers will be much in demand. Same in Canada, the oil industry in Alberta is crying out for qualified engineers.

Even impoverished old Ireland has a shortage of electrical engineers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sergeant wrote: »
    Considering the article mentioned mining projects then engineers will be much in demand. Same in Canada, the oil industry in Alberta is crying out for qualified engineers.

Even impoverished old Ireland has a shortage of electrical engineers.

I was thinking more construction engineers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a shame that people need to get three million points in the Leaving Cert to get on the medic ladder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

The story was only posted 3 days ago. There has always been plenty of jobs in Australia but now they are making a real drive to get people to go out there.

Most Irish that go out there prefere to hang out in the Cities, Bondi Kings X etc. They are not willing to travel to the arsehole of nowhere, ie MT Newman, Calgoorie etc where the jobs are and nothing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Bradidup wrote: »
    Most Irish that go out there prefere to hang out in the Cities, Bondi Kings X etc. They are not willing to travel to the arsehole of nowhere, ie MT Newman, Calgoorie etc where the jobs are and nothing happens.
    you have hit the nail on the head,its not the big cities they are trying to get them for, its areas in the outback that most australians will not go to,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Have people stopped using money and gone back to living in mud huts AGAIN?! :eek:

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    you have hit the nail on the head,its not the big cities they are trying to get them for, its areas in the outback that most australians will not go to,

No its not that at all. These are extremely high paid jobs. Australia simply doesn't have enough of the type of skilled employees needed. Basically the mining companies are struggling to keep up with the demand coming from China and they need to bring in outside help. Australia has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Cant say I have any regrets about ever studying Engineering, dead end my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ah sure we can't sll be left the farm by daddy, some of use have to make our own way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Why not hire more Indians and Chinese? Australia needs to become more ethnically diverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Gnobe wrote: »
    Why not hire more Indians and Chinese? Australia needs to become more ethnically diverse.

Why does it need to. They seem to want people who speak english and will integrate well into Australian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

...needs to become more ethnically diverse.

Why would anywhere need to become more ethnically diverse?

I can see why somewhere might need to become more genetically diverse, but ethnically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

So people should study a medicine course instead of something they're actually interested in, just so they can get a job in Australia or Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

The Indians who go to Oz to study usually gave a good degree from their own country and pick some mickey mouse course at a taffe college,the Chinese choose the higher end uni's and all with the purpose of getting residency which is guaranteed after 2yrs study.
    As for the Oz govt they have been offering this visa pull for over 10 yrs,they want people to go to the arse end of nowhere it's nothing new and not as a result of the recession in Ireland the fact of the matter is these outback towns are soul destroying.
    Anything mote than a few days and you will climb the Walls with boredom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

some interesting trades on the skills shortage list

queensland need some
    Business Machine Mechanic (photocopier Technician)
    Hairdressers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I think some aboriginal Australians were of the same opinion a while back... but it didn't turn out too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well, i dont qualify!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You do know that that site makes money off people migrating dont you?

Of course they are going to pimp that line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did we not send Mary Harney off to Canada and New Zealand about 5-7 years ago to encourage their unemployed young people to come to Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did we not send Mary Harney off to Canada and New Zealand about 5-7 years ago to encourage their unemployed young people to come to Ireland?

Yeah, she ate them all and now they have to import us instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

snubbleste wrote: »

They haven't stopped laughing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

No its not that at all. These are extremely high paid jobs. Australia simply doesn't have enough of the type of skilled employees needed. Basically the mining companies are struggling to keep up with the demand coming from China and they need to bring in outside help. Australia has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world right now.
    Well I'm no expert here but Austria actually has a slightly lower unemployment rate at present. Australia's is 4.9% and Austria's is 4.8%.

Edit - Just found this table of countries by unemployment level. A lot of countries haven't been updated in ages so I wouldn't use it as a be all end all but it might give you a rough idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hey now.

Not to impair my own competitiveness, but engineering is not a dead end. But there are massive labor shortages of skilled engineers in the US, for one.

You might not be able to find your ideal job at home but don't let that stop you from looking overseas. Australia raises a good example: check the foreign labor markets to see what is in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

I have a degree in geology but no experience. What do you think are my chances? Do they accept interns at all? Or some sort of wok placement / training position? Anybody have any experience of this?

Turkana wrote: »
    I have a degree in geology but no experience. What do you think are my chances? Do they accept interns at all? Or some sort of wok placement / training position? Anybody have any experience of this?
    See Geology would be the kind of thing you could apply to the fuel industries could you not? Have you explored BP, Shell, Statoil, etc. to see if they have any jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saatana

Sollar Why does it need to. They seem to want people who speak english and will integrate well into Australian society.

Most educated Indians speak English (note that the word is capitalised) at least as well as most Australians, and better than many. They also integrate well wherever they go and are highly upwardly mobile. Let's face it, the Aussies still haven't completely shaken off the racist "White Australia" policy that they pursued until fairly recently. It will also be interesting to see what happens down the road if the same thing happens there as happened when the Celtic Tiger developed the mange and unemployment rather than labour shortages became the order of the day. Will we see a lot of unemployed Crocodile Dundee losers moaning about those foreigners taking their jobs?

The Indians integrate. I wouldn't say how well though. Have you tried to call a customer service line in the last 10 years?

saatana wrote: »
    Most educated Indians speak English (note that the word is capitalised) at least as well as most Australians, and better than many. They also integrate well wherever they go and are highly upwardly mobile. Let's face it, the Aussies still haven't completely shaken off the racist "White Australia" policy that they pursued until fairly recently. It will also be interesting to see what happens down the road if the same thing happens there as happened when the Celtic Tiger developed the mange and unemployment rather than labour shortages became the order of the day. Will we see a lot of unemployed Crocodile Dundee losers moaning about those foreigners taking their jobs?

Would you like some ketchup for that chip on your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

You seem to have some serious issues.

Overheal
    The Indians integrate. I wouldn't say how well though. Have you tried to call a customer service line in the last 10 years?

As a matter of fact, I have, and in the past two years. I had major problems with my wireless broadband (3) and a young man in Mumbai astonished me with his patience (I'd probably have told me to fcuk off and get a life, because I'm pretty hopeless in these things) , politeness and awesome expertise. He talked me through the whole thing, step-by-step, and got me sorted. The problem was mainly to do with the anti-virus software I was using. I was so thankful, that I asked him if I could treat him to a meal the next time I was in Mumbai. and he turned out be a multilingual person from Andhra Pradesh, with a good degree in IT engineering and all-round cultured and nice person. He took me on a tour of Mani Bhavan, Mahatma Gandhi's erstwhile home and now a museum.

Jumpy
    Would you like some ketchup for that chip on your shoulder?

I think you got your wires crossed. Shouldn't you be asking that of Overheal?

Nope. You. Aussie here. Not too impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

FaCK OFF Australia

Im in your base, steelin yor d00ds.

jumpy
    Nope. You. Aussie here. Not too impressed.

Well, boo-flamin'-hoo! I guess I'll have to do some self-improvement if I ever feel the need to impress an Aussie called "jumpy" - or see any point in it. ROFLMAO

Jumpy wrote: »
    You do know that that site makes money off people migrating dont you?

Of course they are going to pimp that line.

I know, but its not like they are making stuff up, they are just quoting what the Training and Workforce Development Minister said.

jumpy

Well, boo-flamin'-hoo! I guess I'll have to do some self-improvement if I ever feel the need to impress an Aussie called "jumpy" - or see any point in it. ROFLMAO

SILENCE. Ye of little post count. Your name makes me think of a scobe attempting to prounounce "sultana".

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

*thrrrrrrp*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

I'd love to go i'm a Electrician but cant afford to get there its a pain in the arse i have a friend over there working as a carpenter getting $850 dollars a week

As a matter of fact, I have, and in the past two years. I had major problems with my wireless broadband (3) and a young man in Mumbai astonished me with his patience (I'd probably have told me to fcuk off and get a life, because I'm pretty hopeless in these things) , politeness and awesome expertise. He talked me through the whole thing, step-by-step, and got me sorted. The problem was mainly to do with the anti-virus software I was using. I was so thankful, that I asked him if I could treat him to a meal the next time I was in Mumbai. and he turned out be a multilingual person from Andhra Pradesh, with a good degree in IT engineering and all-round cultured and nice person. He took me on a tour of Mani Bhavan, Mahatma Gandhi's erstwhile home and now a museum

That story would bring as tear to your eye and a lump to your throat :D

keithzer wrote: »
    I'd love to go i'm a Electrician but cant afford to get there its a pain in the arse i have a friend over there working as a carpenter getting $850 dollars a week

I know an electrician out there making crazy money at the min. If i had a trade i'd love to go.

sollar That story would bring as tear to your eye and a lump to your throat
    Yes, it was a pleasant experience, and I've been helped greatly every time I've called the 3 helpline. Just wanted to give one positive example as a counterweight to all the negativity.

In another time and another place, I could tell you about my earlier experiences with rude, thick Irish bitches working for Eircom's customer service, and I suppose I wouldn't be the only one.
    jumpy SILENCE. Ye of little post count. Your name makes me think of a scobe attempting to prounounce "sultana".

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
    Oh, I see. One needs to have a high post count to be rational and intelligent. Boards.ie as a substitute for school. ROFL

However, I have to admit that I do not know what "scobe" means. Should I?

I wonder how you - presumably highly multilingual - would pronounce "saatana"? Of I you have any idea what it means/indicates. ROFLMFAO @ u.

keithzer wrote: »

I presume thats $850 net? Because I know traffic controllers earn $22 per hour which works out to about $850 a week gross. Since traffic controllers are the most unskilled unproductive people on a site then surely carpenters are getting a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

I think a lot of people I know who actually go and live in Australia for more than a couple of years think less of the country as their initial excitement grows old.
    I have to say Oz is not a patch on America,its a huge country with a whole lot of nothing in between.
    Except for Melbourns,Sydney and Perth the country is not all that fantastic once you settle down there.
    I spent 5 years in Oz and I don`t think I will go back,if your not in the main cities it is a very depressing state.
    Granted there are opportunities and many things are better there than in Ireland but the Austraians as a whole are a bit boring and its too bloody far away.
    Think before yee go folks,if its only for a couple of year I would say why not but to put down your routes there is another thing,better countries out in this big world by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yes, it was a pleasant experience, and I've been helped greatly every time I've called the 3 helpline. Just wanted to give one positive example as a counterweight to all the negativity.

In another time and another place, I could tell you about my earlier experiences with rude, thick Irish bitches working for Eircom's customer service, and I suppose I wouldn't be the only one.

Oh, I see. One needs to have a high post count to be rational and intelligent. Boards.ie as a substitute for school. ROFL

However, I have to admit that I do not know what "scobe" means. Should I

I wonder how you - presumably highly multilingual - would pronounce "saatana"? Of I you have any idea what it means/indicates. ROFLMFAO @ u.

does it meen you need to blow yor nose:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Bradidup wrote: »

I've been in calgoorlie and plenty happens on the weekend....they drink the place dry. They mine for gold out there and they get paid very good money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

http://www.seek.com.au/
    http://www.jobsearch.com.au/

Worth a look. I'm not paying for the bailout....pfff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Fascinating, I didn't realize that there seems to be a multi-national shortage of nurses and doctors. I know here in the US, we have recruited nurses from Thailand and the Phillipines to cover our shortages. I should have went into nursing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement