Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian government begging unemployed Irish to take up jobs in Australia

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Anybody on here attend the presentations held by an Australian Recruitment company. I was at one in Limerick the other day and left my contact details they said they'll be in touch this week at some stage.

tr7 in the strand ya?

they sent me an email last night for my cv and a time to arrange a phone call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Uhmm what do you need on your CV to become a miner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

jesus im off so.

jugger0 wrote: »

Electrical/Mechanical engineer
    electrician
    fitter
    mechanic

stuff like that, but there is a lot of safety courses and tickets to get as well that are expensive but if you get a job they will more than likely pay for them for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mining experience with a proper qualification or/and a trade like already mentioned.

Some thing that is if intrest to the Dept. of immigration or sponsoring employer.

Shovel and pick operator wouldn't just cut it, neither would experience in filling yer mammys coal bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Fack thats me out so, maybe they'll let me on an oil rig.

Something like a trained Diesel fitter with experience in Caterpillar or Liebherr is a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

"Not yet of age"

Fack thats me out so, maybe they'll let me on an oil rig.

very similar to the mines sorry but go back to school for a bit ride out the recession there and get a qualification for yourself

for the oil rigs join the nearest navel service reserve unit you'll get all the sea survival and firefighting courses that no commercial business will be able to offer you even if you had all the money in the world in fact the navy will pay you to do the course. be very helpful and just might push you through the door with the safety culture in these industries! with a qualification of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think you been watching too much National Geographic channel, there's cities down here too.

Sure it's only a day away on the plane, Europe may be a bit closer and cheaper but I wouldn't fancy working in some crappy Polish factory or digging roads in the Czech Rep.

Germany has quite hot summers at the moment, also the demand for native speakers to teach English presents the opportunity for a pretty penny. No one has to work in a Polish factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

slum dog wrote: »
    i couldnt understand why australia was such a racist country until we had the boom

Australia really isn't that racist. Sure, there are all kinds of ethnicities there but most people I've found to be tolerant of others as long as they put in a bit of graft. There is a strata of white Australians who are very racist but they are in the main unemployed, uneducated and almost entirely dependent on state benefits which are very generous indeed and in my opinion a disincentive to work. In other news your obvious attempt to justify your own prejudices is pretty pathetic to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Western Australia? It's like saying fat chicks are begging guys to ride them.

When their crash happens it will be much softer than ours. Their economy isn't built on the property market. They aren't building housing estates in the middle of nowwhere, all their estates are close to city centres with good transport links. They aren't building show box apartments. Australia has the largest houses in the world, and the design and build quality of their houses are top notch. They are building houses people actually want to live in rather than ****holes which people use just to get on the property ladder.

I really have to take issue with a lot of this. I'm currently working as a town planner in Perth and a lot of what you say is just pure poo.

I agree that there will be a property market crash but it won't decimate the economy as has happened in Ireland. They have a very strong export sector based mainly on natural resources.

Regarding building housing estates in the middle of nowhere; well that's just dead wrong. Estates are being built in the absolute back arse of nowhere to support the mining industry. There are characterised by a lack of supplementary infrastructure and indecent unit costs.

Australia also has the worst case of urban sprawl in the developed world and they use more energy per head than any other nation on earth. Most of this goes into transport, cooling and heating. This results in massive fuel and utility bills all of which could be avoided through the implementation of better planning and unit design. Generally the design of houses is unimaginative and often of a poor quality. Insulation is often non-existent and believe me it does get cold here so it's badly needed.

So, in your opinion how is the design of the houses "top notch"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 anawfulbogey

I've no qualifications or anything just plenty of manufacturing experience and stuff. Mad to get out of this place though. What's it like to pick up work without qualifications or would ye get in at all?

I've no qualifications or anything just plenty of manufacturing experience and stuff. Mad to get out of this place though. What's it like to pick up work without qualifications or would ye get in at all?

I think you'd be OK. Go to Perth and take it from there. There's a guy in my house who applies for work but gives up after one day cos he's lazy and still employers call to see if he's coming back. Go to Western Australia would be my advice. There's a two tier economy going on here and WA is where it's at. Just remember, it's bloody far away, it's bloody hot, living costs are very high and there's no ozone layer over large swathes of the Antipodes so sunscreen all year round is a must. If you don't use it you're just an eejit asking for cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Emiko wrote: »
    I know, huh? :rolleyes:

They've been taking unemployed Irish since the 19th century.

18th Surely

coolbeans wrote: »
    I really have to take issue with a lot of this. I'm currently working as a town planner in Perth and a lot of what you say is just pure poo.

I agree that there will be a property market crash but it won't decimate the economy as has happened in Ireland. They have a very strong export sector based mainly on natural resources.

Regarding building housing estates in the middle of nowhere; well that's just dead wrong. Estates are being built in the absolute back arse of nowhere to support the mining industry. There are characterised by a lack of supplementary infrastructure and indecent unit costs.

Australia also has the worst case of urban sprawl in the developed world and they use more energy per head than any other nation on earth. Most of this goes into transport, cooling and heating. This results in massive fuel and utility bills all of which could be avoided through the implementation of better planning and unit design. Generally the design of houses is unimaginative and often of a poor quality. Insulation is often non-existent and believe me it does get cold here so it's badly needed.

So, in your opinion how is the design of the houses "top notch"?
    Most of what you're saying could apply to just about any large modern western country with a relatively small population, building estates in mining "towns" is a must as these places are far too remote to commute to, the extra costs are due to the transportation and imported labour to those places. Jobs for builders there I would imagine.

Australia is like the US as far as suburbs go!

Most of what you're saying could apply to just about any large modern western country

Doesn't mean I'm wrong though. The US would have a better quality of house in terms of design and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

sparks24 wrote: »
    very similar to the mines sorry but go back to school for a bit ride out the recession there and get a qualification for yourself

for the oil rigs join the nearest navel service reserve unit you'll get all the sea survival and firefighting courses that no commercial business will be able to offer you even if you had all the money in the world in fact the navy will pay you to do the course. be very helpful and just might push you through the door with the safety culture in these industries! with a qualification of course

There s a recruitment ban on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I really don't get the Australians are racist stuff at all. I lived in Sydney till I was 26 and all through school we had kids from so many different nationalities. No-one batted an eyelid at anyone whose parents were from somewhere else.

Maybe a lot has changed since I was there :confused:

coolbeans wrote: »
    Doesn't mean I'm wrong though. The US would have a better quality of house in terms of design and quality.
    Never said you're wrong, more stating that it isn't just Australia that's building suburbs like crazy. At the end of the day builders build what people can afford and planners allow (or are made to allow).

dev100 wrote: »
    sparks24 wrote: »

There s a recruitment ban on

Reserves not pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Western Australia? It's like saying fat chicks are begging guys to ride them.

Western Australia is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Its better than the east coast of oz because its just as scenic but it doesn't have all the tacky touristy crap. Plus the salaries these companies are offering are spectacular.

So no, its more like a busty supermodel offering money to a guy who hasn't been laid in a year if he'll agree to have sex with her.

OneArt wrote: »
    Germany has quite hot summers at the moment, also the demand for native speakers to teach English presents the opportunity for a pretty penny. No one has to work in a Polish factory.

Yeah sounds like you are really trying to convince yourself even more than everyone else, although 10/10 out for your patriotism for the Fatherland's economy. I suppose since they now own us its in your best intrest to earn your pretty penny and pay your Deutsch taxes.

As for the hot German hot summers the winters are even more harsh.

I really don't get the Australians are racist stuff at all. I lived in Sydney till I was 26 and all through school we had kids from so many different nationalities. No-one batted an eyelid at anyone whose parents were from somewhere else.

Yeah I think the old Aussie racist thing is a bit of a broken record tbh, have heard a bit of racism myself but more in QLD than Sydney (although it was never directed towards me for being Irish).

To be honest I think Aussies are a lot less subtle than most other nations and they will often call a spade a fecking shovel, no point in bagging them over speaking their minds rather than the old hushed whisper behind someones back that we are all used to.

I find it really hypocritical that Irish people even mention racism, it's not as if we are all lily white when it comes to old racism you just have to ask the traveller communities about Irish people and their lack of racism. Its funny because I have mentioned this a few times when someone has remarked on Aussies being racist, ohhh how quickly they change they subject :)

• Advertisement

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/wa-company-news/state-looks-to-uk-ireland-for-workers/comments-e6frg2s3-1226089075767

have a read of the comments after that article......99% of the comments are openly hostile the few that arent are actually by people who say they are migrants......!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

mandrake04 wrote: »

Yeah I think the old Aussie racist thing is a bit of a broken record tbh, have heard a bit of racism myself but more in QLD than Sydney (although it was never directed towards me for being Irish).

To be honest I think Aussies are a lot less subtle than most other nations and they will often call a spade a fecking shovel, no point in bagging them over speaking their minds rather than the old hushed whisper behind someones back that we are all used to.

I find it really hypocritical that Irish people even mention racism, it's not as if we are all lily white when it comes to old racism you just have to ask the traveller communities about Irish people and their lack of racism. Its funny because I have mentioned this a few times when someone has remarked on Aussies being racist, ohhh how quickly they change they subject :)

I disagree I lived in Oz for 5 years and there is massive racism down,
    Outer Sydney suburbs of coogie had race riots a few years back,plenty of stabbings by gangs along the river in Melbourne targeting immigrants.
    Another incident I remember was the beautiful glass bridge accepts the south bank in Melbourne that was dedicated to immigration getting smashed to bits on two separate occasions and the police said it was racist.
    Working up in Queensland and hearing jokes on the radio portraying the Irishman as a potato picking paddy.
    Huge racism in Melbourne between the Greeks,Itslians and "native" ozzies terms like woggs being thrown around daily.
    Getting smart comments when I was with my girlfriend as she was of Vietnamese race,happened many a time when we were out,work colleagues saying your kids will have slanty eyes.
    Australian news items with inflammatory remarks that would get them in the crap here.
    The racist political parties Christine what's her face and her nut jobs had a huge support in the rural areas,head of Harvey Normans coming out and saying immigrants should be paid less than an Ozzie and higher taxed as they should be glad to be in Oz.
    I could go on it's just so bloody hypocritical of the ozzies to be racist,the whole country bar the aboriginals are immigrants.
    Ohh I almost forgot the racism towards the aboriginals is shocking beyond belief,I remember being in a bar and we went out back there were 4 aboriginals huddled around a speaker drinking pots,asked the barmam what was the deal he said good enough forem abbos can't let em inside or the customers won't come in but he was willing to take their money.
    The thing is racism exists in every country that I lived in and that's not going to change but I found the ozzies so flippant with it and maybe because they control their own destiny and no one is dictating to them unlike us over here we do what Europe tells us or else.
    It is a massively diverse country and I always looked on the positive of the place but different cultures seem to mix together and stay together and a lot of this is down to fear of the unknown,if they got to know the otherwise then they would understand their culture better and be less racist I fear but that will happen in time as diverse immigration is still a new phenomen in Oz going back only 40 years predominantly before that it was just European immigration.

They're not just looking for construction workers:

http://www.thejournal.ie/western-australia-can-take-one-third-of-unemployed-from-ireland-177939-Jul2011/

However, Mr Collier said there is a need for a broad range of workers. “It’s not just in construction, or automotive, or electrical,” he said, adding that they are seeking staff in the hospitality, retail, aged care, health, education, disability services and tourism industries.

He added they are co-operating with the federal Australian government to expedite visas for potential Irish migrants. “We’re working to accelerate the process,” he said. “But also to offer more versatility. We’ll work with our federal colleagues to ensure if barriers exist from a purely visa perspective, that those barriers are removed.”

They're not just looking for construction workers:

http://www.thejournal.ie/western-australia-can-take-one-third-of-unemployed-from-ireland-177939-Jul2011/

However, Mr Collier said there is a need for a broad range of workers. “It’s not just in construction, or automotive, or electrical,” he said, adding that they are seeking staff in the hospitality, retail, aged care, health, education, disability services and tourism industries.

He added they are co-operating with the federal Australian government to expedite visas for potential Irish migrants. “We’re working to accelerate the process,” he said. “But also to offer more versatility. We’ll work with our federal colleagues to ensure if barriers exist from a purely visa perspective, that those barriers are removed.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/wa-company-news/state-looks-to-uk-ireland-for-workers/comments-e6frg2s3-1226089075767

From the comments section:
    The construction sector has had 5 months of negative growth and there are very few positions if any advertised in these areas.I say focus on kickstarting the economy before handing-out visas left/right and centre!.
    Both the UK and Irish Housing market collapsed in style a few years ago. My friend has just managed to sell his Irish property for 160,000 euro he bought it for 480,000. Beaches and sunshine lifestyle doesn't last long when you struggle to live in such an expensive market. The people you do attract will not be the kind of people Perth needs!
    How do you lure people here. Im sure manufacturing, tourism, retail and public service industries here dont pay mining industry rates... yet our cost of living expenses require a mining industry pay level to make life sustainable.
    we dont need anymore incompetent irish idiots in perth messing the place up. - they're well known for their complete lack of building nous - particularly with scaffolding
    why dont they start with training and getting australian people who are unemployed into jobs first!! there is plenty of people that want job and want better life but they can not get a chance, why not help out our own people first
    The way the state is going,what with everything going up in price,migrants won't be able to afford to live here.
    I have 2 daughters who are looking for jobs, why not train them and the many others who are unemployed before looking overseas? My daughters would love an apprenticeship or traineeship but have been brushed off by a company who supposedly fills these type of positions. They have been told to get more work experience or do a TAFE course before they will be looked at. Aren't apprentice/traineeships supposed to train people for jobs?
    How about actually training AUSTRALIANS?. Or Import ONLY Trainers to Train AUSTRALIANS. See the Pattern?.. Too hard?.. Smart Country?.
    How about these companies start paying people what they are worth, cost of living is so high yet some of the qualified trades (eg. chefs) only average 23 an hour and they wonder why they can't get workers. Also I'm over hearing about the mining sector needing people, my partner has 16 years truck driving and a clean track record yet can't get a job on the mines due to" inexperience" in heavy machinery. How are WA workers meant to get this experience if no one is willing to train them?
    Wow what about all the unemployed Australians looking for work? Or the dole bludgers, train them to work for their money. This doesn't even make any cents let alone dollars.
    Good luck. I am a proffessional in the mining industry and heading off back to the UK. Even on mining money Perth is just too expensive to make a bit of sunshine worth it. Off back to fifo to Africa for twice the money and half the living costs and i know plenty of others doing the same thing. Cant even afford to buy a house here but can afford a fantastic place in the UK for the same money. There were me and about 10 other geologists i know came over at the same time. There are 3 of us left and the other two are also making plans to get out of here. Will enjoy good food in good restaurants, decent service and a pint of beer i dont need a mortgage to pay for
    now Barnett would rather pay millions to import foreigners than improve local skills for Australians. Shame on this government.
    Get the young people off the dole and out there working!!! There are plently of WA workers,, On the dole!!!
    Not the Irish, God anyone but them. Bloody useless I tell ya and ive worked with them. At least the beer consumption will increase and give a boost to the pubs.

etc etc

Yes but the people making those comments don't seem to realise that when you have an unemployment rate of about 4.8%, the only people unemployed are those who want to be unemployed. Australian companies are currently having to turn down work left right and center because they can't get enough Australian people to work for them. It was exactly the same for us during the boom years, we had an unemployment rate of about the same as they do now, yet we had to import workers from all over Europe to fill jobs.

Theres other people on that website whining about how the Australian government isn't training its own people, wtf? These people have all the opportunity in the world to do training courses themselves, why would the government get involved in that. Do these people want the government to wipe their arses for them as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I know that I am often told I speak my mind more than a lot of Irish people. Was working at a place where one of the managers was a real bully top the other women. I pulled him up on it and he was astounded.... how dare I etc but I held my ground, said I wasn't accepting it and would take the matter further. So yeah, I think Australian's can be quite blunt.

First year I was in Ireland I heard an old man say to a black man on a bus 'move out of my way, n*gger'. Now, I haven't heard that since but I was thoroughly shocked at that and have remembered it. Those thing stay with you.

I don't ever recall any blatant racism in Sydney, but it was a long time ago I was there. As someone rightly pointed out - you get racism everywhere. I have heard a lot of derogatory remarks made about Polish people over here, but I wouldn't say Irish people are overly racist. It only takes a few ignorant f*ckers and their mates to give off a bad impression.

Then again, there are always derogatory comments made about the English here and I do remember that at home but it was in jest in a 'whinging Poms' way and usually based around cricket and the English whinging about the heat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi hope I don't sound silly but my husband and I would love to leave Ireland he doesn't get the dole cause I'm working my mortgage is €1400pm have a good job here BUT I'm just working to pay for the taxes for the government and would love to leave but I wonder are there any jobs in confectionery out there!,, my husband was working as a skilled labourer but that's now dried up just don't know where to turn or what to do next all advise would be great thanks in advance guys

Advertisement