Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburg: what's it like to live in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Carry wrote: »
    Hmm, that might well be the case if you are a foreigner, since you are not registered (christened and confirmed) by a church in Germany.

Exactly, and as Tremelo is a foreigner, this would apply to him (her?)

Enless of course he (she?) was registered in Germany before

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭waterways

peasant wrote: »
    But the weather in Nuremberg would be better on average

You are right but Hamburg would be better on average than Cork. :D All things are relative. On that note is a Biergarten in Hamburg also dryer than in Munich with nearly the same mean temperature.

Annual mean rainfall
    Cork 1206.9 mm
    Hamburg 770 mm
    Nuremberg 644 mm
    Munich 967 mm

Annual mean temperature
    Cork 9.5°C
    Hamburg 12.4°C
    Nuremberg 13.4°C
    Munich 12.6°C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've decided not to take the position. I didn't warm to Hamburg at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Tremelo wrote: »
    I've decided not to take the position. I didn't warm to Hamburg at all to be honest.

Did you think about other parts of Germany?

Dortmund and the whole Ruhr Valley is nice, and I'm not only saying that, because I am from there...everybody who visited me, said the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I just noticed the really detailed posts above by jester77 and Carry. For some reason I didn't receive any notifications that replies had been posted; apologies for the delayed replies. Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to write all that :)

Well, like I said above, I just didn't 'warm' to Hamburg at all. But the main reason was the job as it turned out. The salary offered was a bit lower than I was prepared to accept, and it turns out that I'd have to spend a few months to-ing and fro-ing between Karlsruhe, Hamburg, Essen, and Erfurt. Just too socially disruptive. I'll stay put for a year or so, and then investigate a move to Germany, circumstances permitting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Fair enough. No point really to live in a place that doesn't 'speak' to you.
    And the commuting, or rather travelling, between different cities in Germany in the first months would put me off, too. How can you settle in a new environment, a new culture actually, if you're supposed to buzz around like a mad fly?
    There is always time to go to Germany. Or France. Or Skandinavia. Or wherever your fancy takes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Carry wrote: »
    Fair enough. No point really to live in a place that doesn't 'speak' to you.
    And the commuting, or rather travelling, between different cities in Germany in the first months would put me off, too. How can you settle in a new environment, a new culture actually, if you're supposed to buzz around like a mad fly?
    There is always time to go to Germany. Or France. Or Skandinavia. Or wherever your fancy takes you.

All that moving around seems to be the German understanding of being 'flexible'. You have to move with your job, that's what many companies ask you to do. But it's quite understandable, that especially people with family connections can't cope with that.

Advertisement