Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much longer is this disk check going to take?

• 09-07-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey all having problems with my computer being INCREDIBLY slow so i went ahead and decided to do a disk check..its the one included with windows that runs on boot. I read online that it should take about 5-6 hours for a 500gb hard drive. But my hard drive is 320gb and the disk check has been going on since 3 yesterday afternoon and its showing Stage 4 of 5 and 11% done.....would i be as well off to just cancel it and are there any programs out there to make this process faster? And in case your wondering the exact issue its the hardware interrupts process using up 100% cpu so if ye have any ideas please do let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Lots of errors on your HDD is the most likely cause of the slow check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Yeah they take AGES if you're computer's running badly. Just give it time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I had to leave an XP machine with a 40GB disk running chkdsk from the recovery console run overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, your drive is going dead fast. No way a disk check takes that long on anything healthy. I can't wait to see the size when its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

yeah thought there was definetly going to be problem didnt think there would be this many though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If you run a bad sector check it can take a very long time indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ryanch09 wrote: »
    And in case your wondering the exact issue its the hardware interrupts process using up 100% cpu

Wut?

What gave you that indication?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Wut?

What gave you that indication?

I downloaded process explorer and its a sub-process under the system process. The scans finally finished anyway and no bad sectors found. And it didnt solve the problem but I managed to fix it. Turns out the whole time it was a hardware conflict problem so just had to reinstall the conflicting hardware and problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I downloaded process explorer and its a sub-process under the system process. The scans finally finished anyway and no bad sectors found. And it didnt solve the problem but I managed to fix it. Turns out the whole time it was a hardware conflict problem so just had to reinstall the conflicting hardware and problem solved!

Hardware conflict? I haven't see one of them in 10 years.

Hardware conflict? I haven't see one of them in 10 years.

yeah well this computers had every other sort of problem in its life so far so it was only a matter of time! xD :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement