Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long can you leave Australia before you lose your permanent residency?

Options
  • 09-07-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

On the immigration website, they are pretty vague about this. I've tried googling this to see if I can find out for how many years you can leave Australia before they revoke your permanent residency but can't find anything. So does anyone on here know? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Permanent Residency visa only lasts for 5 years then you need a 5 year RRV to get back in, you need to spend at least 2 years of that 5 in Australia to get a RRV.

To answer your question for every 5 years you need to be spending at least 2 in Australia or your lose your PR.

*RRV= $260 for 5 years
    *Citizenship =$260 for a lifetime.

That's why I am a citizen.... less hassle.

*2010 Prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Permanent Residency visa only lasts for 5 years then you need a 5 year RRV to get back in, you need to spend at least 2 years of that 5 in Australia to get a RRV.

To answer your question for every 5 years you need to be spending at least 2 in Australia or your lose your PR.

*RRV= $260 for 5 years
    *Citizenship =$260 for a lifetime.

That's why I am a citizen.... less hassle.

*2010 Prices

Thanks, but citizenship isn't available to me as I am on a 457 visa currently, and I have only been in oz for 2 years. I'm going back to Ireland before xmas but if possible I would like to get PR before I leave just to keep the option of going back here open to me. So what you are saying is that if I got PR and left the country immediately, I would have to return at the end of 3 years otherwise they would take away my PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you got PR granted today for example that visa is good for 5 years (10th July 2016) You can travel in and out of Australia freely for those 5 years so as long as you were back in Oz before 9th July 2016 you would be alright.

Once it hits 10 July 2016 your original PR is no longer valid, (but as long as you are in Australia you are ok) you need to apply for a RRV so if you leave for instance (on an Xmas holiday to Ireland) so you can get back in. In order to get that RRV you needed to have spent at least 2 out of the previous 5 years in Australia.

If you dont yet qualify for a RRV and you are in Australia you can get a 3 month emergency RRV under certain circumstances ie. Funeral or family illness to allow you to travel but you would have to be back within that 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

That's great, thanks for that!

Advertisement