Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Con-artist Landlord!

Options
  • 09-07-2011 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi. 6 weeks ago I moved into a new apartment. It was advertised that internet was included in the price of rent. For the 1st couple of weeks we were connecting to an unsecured network assuming it was the internet for the apartment block. For nearly a month now we have been unable to connect to even this network. my housemate e-mailed the landlord several times to no avail. When she rang we were told the internet was Eircom, which our laptops had never once detected. We've called since and so have other apartments, and just keep being told the landlord is trying (fobbing us off). I've paid 2 months of rent+internet now and will only be there 1 more month, is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are you paying much over the odds of regular rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

ash7322 wrote: »
    Hi. 6 weeks ago I moved into a new apartment. It was advertised that internet was included in the price of rent. For the 1st couple of weeks we were connecting to an unsecured network assuming it was the internet for the apartment block. For nearly a month now we have been unable to connect to even this network. my housemate e-mailed the landlord several times to no avail. When she rang we were told the internet was Eircom, which our laptops had never once detected. We've called since and so have other apartments, and just keep being told the landlord is trying (fobbing us off). I've paid 2 months of rent+internet now and will only be there 1 more month, is there anything I can do?

Maybe the line has broadband, but you need to connect a dsl modem/router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I moved into a flat that advertised "free wi-fi". It took the landlord six weeks to get it set up, then it went down after about a week. Three weeks later he mentioned "oh yeah, the Internet's still down, isn't it?"

By that stage I'd called UPC and gotten it in myself.

If you're only going to be there for another month I doubt you'll get it sorted by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds a bit of a con, like the likes of Sky Conway and the apartment TV thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ash7322

To be honest I probably could get cheaper rent than where I am now, but it's more the principle and the fact she's getting away with it that bothers me. I probably would have lived somewhere else had I known internet was not actually included here. Like could I demand a reduction in the August rent? Even though I've already been jipped 2 months it would be something. What do I threaten her with though, who is the next person to go to if she won't cooperate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ash7322

Also my laptop can pick up eircom wifi at the front door of the block but once you move from the main entrance it's not detectable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ash7322 wrote: »
    Hi. 6 weeks ago I moved into a new apartment. It was advertised that internet was included in the price of rent. For the 1st couple of weeks we were connecting to an unsecured network assuming it was the internet for the apartment block. For nearly a month now we have been unable to connect to even this network.
    My take on this:

Landlord a tenant who had broadband
    Landlord didn't password protect the router, so everyone could use it
    Tenant is getting massive lag on games
    Tenant enables password, and they can play games without massive lag
    Since the tenant has done this, no-one else gets internet.

TBH, tell the landlord to sort it out, as she is breaking the contract you both signed.

Advertisement