Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood on Mattress

Options
  • 09-07-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

HI Folks,

I recently woke up and realised I had a nose bleed in the middle of the night. THe blood seeped through my sheet onto the mattress. I did not have time to clean it as had to go to work. Now I cant seem to get the stain out of the mattress. So I have two questions........

HOw can this affect my deposit?? Can the landlord say that it is now toxic or a health hazard and take cost of mattress from deposit when I move out??

Secondly does anyone know how to get rid of a blood stain at all both visually and hygienically??

cheers

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

Flip the mattress over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I would have done that but similar incident at xmas!!! ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

Oh Dear! well best thing i can think off is hot soapy water and a facecloth. keep at the stain scrubbing at it using lots of soap. also washing up liquid can be great for stains

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I found this
    Removing Blood Stains From Mattresses
    • 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
    • 1 Tablespoon Salt
    • 1/4 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide or Water
    • Make Paste
    Using a spoon, daub the paste onto the mattress, directly on the stained area. Allow to air dry until the paste is completely dry. Scrape off and examine the stain. If the stain is still there, reapply paste and repeat.
    You may never be able to fully remove the stain and it's best to prevent such stains from happening (including urine stains on mattresses) by investing in a mattress pad that can be removed and washed as necessary.

form here:http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/cleaning-tips/stain-removal/blood-stains-tips.html

Note: We know cornstarch as cornflour and 1/2 cup = 120 mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh Dear! well best thing i can think off is hot soapy water and a facecloth. keep at the stain scrubbing at it using lots of soap. also washing up liquid can be great for stains

Never clean blood with warm water, it will never come out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Rotate it 90 degrees horizontally and 180 degrees vertically and it will disappear. If landlord says anything say it was there from the last person who must have had bad athletes foot. Let him examine your feet and you are away free. If he has CSI with him you are fugged.

You could also try and bleed all over the mattress and make it a red mattress.

Say that a rat bit your head and if he does not get rentakill out and also clean the mattress you are going to report him. Say that this was the second time it happened and get them to clean the other side as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Pixywish

Vanish soap is really good if you wanna give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Whether you'd be liable for a new mattress would depend on how old the mattress was- ie if it was new when you moved in then yes, but if it was several years old or saggy, it would need replacing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Vanish with cold water and a little bit of (gentle) elbow grease is great for removing blood. Try leave the stain soak in a little cold water and vanish before you go to remove it, as pre-soaking the stain will make it easier to move. Just don't use so much water that the mattress will be seeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Not a good idea. Warm water sets blood stains. It will be impossible to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Goto beds.ie and get a cheap one. It'll be less than your deposit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Stain Devils do one for blood. You can get it in any decent supermarket.

Advertisement