Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all forum Mods equal among others?

Options
  • 09-07-2011 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I marked this query for admins because obviously your above mods so would have a more objective view plus the ex mod experience to back up your answer.

My query is that in some forums you have more than one Mod, As far as I can see from looking at their profiles they are all ranked equally as forum mods but I find at times I have had posts overruled by one mod that the other mod has passed. Both would be mods of more than one forum so I assume its not a training issue. The same mode always does the overruling, never the other way around. If I pm both mods the same mod replies to me the majority of times so it seems to me that there is a senior and junior mods in the forum. So is their a hierarchy within forum mods? Or is it just the human factor that some personalities are stronger than others?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is no hierarchy amongst mods in any given forum. What you might find is that newer mods may defer to the experience of longer serving mods for a while until they find their feed, but that's as close to a hierarchy as you'll find. However mods are just regular people like you, and everyone sees things differently. So while one mod may pass over something because they deem it to be just the right side of the line for what's acceptable, another mod might decide that it's just over the other side and take some action. It's impossible to remove this human element in moderating, and tbh we'd be loath to do so as it's good for the health of the site to have a good mix of views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Zaph wrote: »
    There is no hierarchy amongst mods in any given forum. What you might find is that newer mods may defer to the experience of longer serving mods for a while until they find their feed, but that's as close to a hierarchy as you'll find. However mods are just regular people like you, and everyone sees things differently. So while one mod may pass over something because they deem it to be just the right side of the line for what's acceptable, another mod might decide that it's just over the other side and take some action. It's impossible to remove this human element in moderating, and tbh we'd be loath to do so as it's good for the health of the site to have a good mix of views.

2 years and still finding there feet is questionable :D I think do you have answered my query. The alpha male mod in forums does exist methinks. Close thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement