Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CONTEMPT OF COURT

• 09-07-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

This is for a piece of fiction again. In a civil case in the circuit could a judge direct the press not to publish details about either the applicant or the respondent. If say one of the parties was a politician or another well know pillar of society (say a bank manager) could a judge order the press only to report his name and not his profession? I have a piece in a novel I am writing which may not be realistic. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

there is no qualified privilage that I know of which would permit a Civil Court judge to issue a block on names.

basically - if you are looking to get money from someone and the reporter wants to file the story you have little or no recourse....of course, the chances of a reporter being in court

in 7years of covering the Civil Court I've never heard of two independent people looking for a matter to be heard of "in camera" - generally one side will crumble at the thought of publicity once members of the media are present - there are plenty of cases which settle at the doors of the court....no details are then disclosed and the matter disappears.

The press only report what is mentioned in court so if (ie a bank manager) did not want his/her profession to be named they would simply have to hope that the position is not public knowledge already or the other side do not bring it into public knowledge by asking questions before the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

Thanks PC. I am not looking to have the name blocked as both names in this instance are quite common - the equivalent of John Murphy. However, if the person's profession is mentioned it will immediately identify him to the greater public and would be enough to have reporters staging a sit in outside his residence. I'm not sure what you meant in your reference to the press. This is an adverse possession case where the value of the property is very high. What do you think are the odds of members of the press being present? I know that they don't turn up to most civil cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Miranda7 wrote: »
    Thanks PC. I am not looking to have the name blocked as both names in this instance are quite common - the equivalent of John Murphy. However, if the person's profession is mentioned it will immediately identify him to the greater public and would be enough to have reporters staging a sit in outside his residence. I'm not sure what you meant in your reference to the press. This is an adverse possession case where the value of the property is very high. What do you think are the odds of members of the press being present? I know that they don't turn up to most civil cases.

AFAIK, you can paid the reporters not to print the names or story in their newspaper. Well for local newspapers anyways, also may depend on the case involved.

Advertisement