Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD just died thinking about an SSD replecment

Options
  • 09-07-2011 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Ya so like I said my drive just died, Thankfully it was an WD Riad edition so I get a free replacement.
    But I might take this chance to get a SSD and use the replacement as a storage drive. Anyone know a good place to get a sub 100 yoyo drive needs to be 40gb+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The Crucial 64Gb M4 from dabs.ie falls in just under €100.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-64gb-m4-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7GL0.html

Some people have had problems with dabs before so for an extra few € you could get the same drive from scan.co.uk
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-sata-6gb-s-ssd-mlc-flash-read-415mb-s-write-95mb-s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

With dabs' free delivery, that price is hard to beat. Amazon have it for a couple of cents cheaper, but you you get charged an extra couple of percent on exchange rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

You can get it from Komplett for a 8 euro more, but unlike Dabs they don't take 60 years to deliver, so I would go with them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DuzAwe

Why the curcial and not the ozc its cheaper and has TRIM. Am I missing something?

DuzAwe wrote: »
    Why the curcial and not the ozc its cheaper and has TRIM. Am I missing something?

1) Crucial's SSDs use onboard garbage collection as well as utilising TRIM.
    2) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/08/ocz_bsods_ongoing/
    33 per cent of respondents on a forum poll are still faced with non-working drives. Another 20 per cent don't get BSODs but do experience freezes when the system hangs.
    Add to that the large number of people suffering bricked drives that simply are not registered by the BIOS anymore, and that that's 60%+ of people with faulty drives. The OCZ drives use a Sanforce brand Controller. The particular one they use for their Vertex and Agility drives is, to put it in PG13 language, faulty and prone to bricking. To put it in non-PG13 language, it's ****ing **** and utter crap, causing BSOD if you are lucky and a bricking within a week if you are not.

The Crucials on the other hand use a Marvell controller, one that's actually been tested (le gasp) and thorough research has not shown (for me anyway) any problems and if anything the M4 has been getting rave reviews about being 100% solid.

Yes, the speeds are no near OCZ's speeds, but thats because OCZ also fiddle the numbers with that, while Crucials are simply because of hardware limitations on the small SSD (see the larger SSDs, they have EPIC BBQ write speeds).

Most of what an SSD will do after installation is reads anyway, so 95mb/s is more than adequate.

3) It's blue. :pac:

4) The OCZ one is more expensive anyway, so pick up a Crucial from wherever you want (Dabs if you are feeling lucky ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

5) An extra few GB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

We read all that and it really turns us off OCZ but then we see this,
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=352

Everything apart from 2GB sequential reads or writes the Agility 3 kills the M4 and so I am very tempted to try be in the 10% that have no problems :D

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    We read all that and it really turns us off OCZ but then we see this,
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=352

Everything apart from 2GB sequential reads or writes the Agility 3 kills the M4 and so I am very tempted to try be in the 10% that have no problems :D

The difference in real life use will be utterly negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DuzAwe

Leman wrote: »
    1) Crucial's SSDs use onboard garbage collection as well as utilising TRIM.
    2) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/08/ocz_bsods_ongoing/

Add to that the large number of people suffering bricked drives that simply are not registered by the BIOS anymore, and that that's 60%+ of people with faulty drives. The OCZ drives use a Sanforce brand Controller. The particular one they use for their Vertex and Agility drives is, to put it in PG13 language, faulty and prone to bricking. To put it in non-PG13 language, it's ****ing **** and utter crap, causing BSOD if you are lucky and a bricking within a week if you are not.

The Crucials on the other hand use a Marvell controller, one that's actually been tested (le gasp) and thorough research has not shown (for me anyway) any problems and if anything the M4 has been getting rave reviews about being 100% solid.

Yes, the speeds are no near OCZ's speeds, but thats because OCZ also fiddle the numbers with that, while Crucials are simply because of hardware limitations on the small SSD (see the larger SSDs, they have EPIC BBQ write speeds).

Most of what an SSD will do after installation is reads anyway, so 95mb/s is more than adequate.

3) It's blue. :pac:

4) The OCZ one is more expensive anyway, so pick up a Crucial from wherever you want (Dabs if you are feeling lucky ;)).

Much appricated :) The whole its blue thing has really sold it to me.

Seriously thought the drive is becoming the new home to my OS, While the replacement drive is being added to a all ready hefty FreeNAS set up. WD didn't belive me at first that a Server HDD would die in a consumer level machine :)

I will let you all know how it goes when its set up

Advertisement