Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best thing at Oxegen

Options
  • 09-07-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Sad thing is, apart from Odd Future and Bright Eyes, this is pretty much on par with most of the acts there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The National/The Strokes/Friendly Fires/Arctic Monkeys/Two Door Cinema Club and heck, I like Coldplay.

It might not be the best line-up ever (or anywhere close) but I think every other act can do a lot better than Amanda Brunker. :p I laughed though, quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I deleted the National off my computer after it came on shuffle the other day. The dullness of it gave me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

I don't even know where to begin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont mention the war..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Good good please make her stop :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Kold wrote: »
    I deleted the National off my computer after it came on shuffle the other day. The dullness of it gave me a headache.

Ahaha as you might tell from my name, I strongly disagree.

But okay, we're all entitled to our musical opinion and I've heard the same before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

2m17s is the best bit - apart from the rubberneckers, there's noone there. I don't even think her parents showed up to watch her!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

WTF? That is beyond ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sad thing is, apart from Odd Future and Bright Eyes, this is pretty much on par with most of the acts there.
    It's hard to believe that's not U2 on stage!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Whoever agreed to give her some stage time should be taken out and shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

God knows I've given them a chance. I've seen them twice live and tried listening through a couple of their albums. The dullness is almost masterful. I have no idea how anyone can fawn over them. People who like decent music too. Boggles the mind.

So ****ing boooooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Well that's 3mins of my life wasted for starter's.
    1- I don't think she sang (sorry mumbled) three lines of it.
    2- the guy on bongo's was even laughing at her:D
    3- when she said how is everyone and the camera panned around to about 20 people..classic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

FLC

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

ntlbell wrote: »

On the same page to that there is a link to another article. This one was surely written by one of her best friends because no one could seriously believe that she's any good.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/brunker-brings-fresh-air-to-a-muddy-oxegen-2817732.html

My favourite part of the article is below. Truly amazing
    The truth about Oxegen is that people go to festivals to be entertained. If I was wandering around a muddy field in Kildare, I'd be a million times more interested in watching Amanda Brunker potentially torturing the eardrums off the crowd, than being bored rigid by the "credible" music emanating from some earnest Z-list band who'd have trouble filling Whelan's.

I guarantee you that none of these serious musicians who feel cheated will be around in five years anyway, whether or not they had landed that hallowed slot. However, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Amanda Brunker will still be entertaining people long after that, making them talk, trying out new things, and adding a bit of gaiety to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I just went for the last day and there was definitely stuff as bad as Brunker there. I went round 3 stages at about 4pm looking for something.. some guy playing pop dance you'd hear in any nightclub, and two downbeat rock acts with bongos. Guy on the main stage might as well have been a ****ing busker. He was doing (bongo assisted) covers of Johnny Cash.

On the flip side despite not being a big pop person the spectacle of the Beyonce show was impressive. Put her back into it. Saturdays weren't half bad either don't have the best tunes in the world but they can hold your attention none the less. The OFWGKTA (main reason I was there) had very muddy sound but were good craic. They had more genuine interaction with the crowd than most. None of the "hello Ireland" bollocks - Chase And Status being main culprits.. said it 50 times was like seeing wobble dubstep equivalent of Scooter.

I love the National but it was pretty flat. More of an intimate venue sort of band. I probably should have stuck around for Primal Scream but I was a bit knackered at that stage and had a 3 hour drive home.

All the performances were filmed by a couple of cameras. Any idea where that footage goes? Guessing MTV2 or some channel I don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

had a great weekend. yesterday was gas shane from westlife was spotted at the main stage watching coldplay so we made a sign saying shane your a bender and to be fair to him he laughed at it and even tool a photo of us holding it :D

I honestly cannot comprehend spending the price of the ticket on such a shambles and I'm so happy that I'm free to say that MCD are doing more than anyone else in destroying live music in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I honestly cannot comprehend spending the price of the ticket on such a shambles and I'm so happy that I'm free to say that MCD are doing more than anyone else in destroying live music in this country.

Just wondering how you would go about developing live music in this country?
    I don't mean that in a sarcastic or pretentious manner btw.

I understand your point in the brunker farce and agree with that, I think she's essentially the Irish version of Jordan a pair of tits that'd show up to the opening of a toilet door but I wouldn't agree that a festival like this is destroying live Irish music.

Just wondering how you would go about developing live music in this country?
    I don't mean that in a sarcastic or pretentious manner btw.

I understand your point in the brunker farce and agree with that, I think she's essentially the Irish version of Jordan a pair of tits that'd show up to the opening of a toilet door but I wouldn't agree that a festival like this is destroying live Irish music.

Not so much destroying live Irish music, more ruining the experience of live music by squeezing the Irish market dry from the cost of drinks and tickets to the mandatory 45 minute breaks between acts that would make the term 'warm up act' impossible to use. These days, you can fly to European cities and get tickets for little over the cost of tickets here and I urge everyone to check this as a viable option before shelling out on MCD events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I have no idea why, but I found this hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Not so much destroying live Irish music, more ruining the experience of live music by squeezing the Irish market dry from the cost of drinks and tickets to the mandatory 45 minute breaks between acts that would make the term 'warm up act' impossible to use. These days, you can fly to European cities and get tickets for little over the cost of tickets here and I urge everyone to check this as a viable option before shelling out on MCD events.

I don't think it's necessarily only MCD shows. A lot of events and general lifestyle in Ireland are subject to the points you've made. It seems to be the "squeeze every last penny" mentality which is a pretty short sighted approach to business. Whereas our European counterparts seem to expect/demand a higher quality of festival or show for less which their promoter's provide.

Do you think Electric Picnic suffers from the same points you've outlined Kold? I'm not sure if MCD are the promoters for that too.

I don't think it's necessarily only MCD shows. A lot of events and general lifestyle in Ireland are subject to the points you've made. It seems to be the "squeeze every last penny" mentality which is a pretty short sighted approach to business. Whereas our European counterparts seem to expect/demand a higher quality of festival or show for less which their promoter's provide.

Do you think Electric Picnic suffers from the same points you've outlined Kold? I'm not sure if MCD are the promoters for that too.

I don't know, I've never been. I tend to hear only positive things though. It's not MCD. I understand that MCD aren't alone, but in my opinion are the worst for it and I've been boycotting them for a few years now. It's a good thing that they seem to go for popular over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 knight_of_cake

The bunker thing was an awful idea.
    Lets hope there is never a repeat of that again.

The indo article about bunker entraining us, is just awful, there are lots of very good bands in ireland that could have played that set.
    Half the fun of a festival is seeing new acts that you havent hear before and stumbling upon good music, not bunker!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I actually agree with Kold i think MCD are a terrible promoter. They consistently over charge for gigs and alot of their big festival gigs could be run better.

They could actually learn a hell of a lot from the smaller promoters out there.

U:Mack Foggy Notions and Kellys (over in Galway) in this year alone will bring you an abundance of high quality gigs. Two weeks ago Foggy Notions gave you Owen Pallett for a fiver. Kellys over in Galway are bringing Henry Rollins for under 20 quid. Both of these would be unheard of 3-4 years ago.

Also i can't remember the lay U:Mack gig that wasn't sold out or 95% sold out at least. Really smart promoter that matches gig to audience in an appropriate venue for a reasonable price.

The bunker thing was an awful idea.
    Lets hope there is never a repeat of that again.

The indo article about bunker entraining us, is just awful, there are lots of very good bands in ireland that could have played that set.
    Half the fun of a festival is seeing new acts that you havent hear before and stumbling upon good music, not bunker!!

That piece in the Indo shows what a joke of a paper it is. If Brunker is indeed entertaining us in 5 years times by selling couches or other furniture so ****ing what.

Any of the hard working bands that play whelans or any other venue in Dublin deserved that slot more than she did. Simply for working harder and being better at 'music' than she ever will be. They'd also have put on a better show and had a bigger crowd. I'd even say sold one or two more tickets than Brunker.

Oh and Amanda, yes your performance was 'that bad'. Please stop. Don't inflict any more of your music on us, there are enough crap novelty acts out there. Or at least do the decent thing and hold on for Eurovision. Although I doubt you'd be as good as Jedward. Which speaks volumes about your music.

Advertisement