Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo prices

Options
  • 09-07-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the price of ammo has shot up this year, pardon the pun.

So does anyone know where good prices are to be had for ammo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I find american eagle .223 have gone up by about 3-4 euro a box. But others like hornady vmax are about the same price they were last year if you shop around. In some places have gone up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

You'll probably notice more of a change on the cheaper ammo that makes money off of volume/quantity rather than quality stuff like Hornady.

The more expensive ammo has some leeway to now allow price fluctuations to show.

Several problems...

First, Obama is printing $$$'s like crazy. The ammo isn't getting more expensive, the dollar is just not able to buy like it used to.

Also, during recessionary times, the flight to precious metals is common. There's an saying that says "Gold is the stock market's scared bunny." During times of uncertainty, precious metals are a safety zone.

Other metals follow precious metals, such as platinum and non precious such as silver, copper, steel, and such.

Copper is so expensive, if pennies were made of copper, they would be worth more in melt value than the face value of the coin! That's why in the states they have been using mostly zinc for years.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that your brass casings, copper jacket, and lead core are all up in price while you dollar/euro is down.

With Obama attempting to wind down the wars, it would be nice to speculate that factories that have been tooled up to produce war volumes of ammo would now be driving prices down. However, I doubt that.

The prices have been expected/predicted to rise for some time, hence my old thread.

When inflation hits, everything gets more expensive. In the states, petrol has gone crazy, food is expensive, and so on.

The last thing that usually gets inflated is, of course, your pay!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FISMA wrote: »
    First, Obama is printing $$$'s like crazy. The ammo isn't getting more expensive, the dollar is just not able to buy like it used to.

Yet it is climbing against euro over the last few months..
    Paid 40 euros for a box of 20 Hornady .243 three weeks ago.OK it is exellent ammo [I hear],but a total ripoff when you look at what cheaper than dirt or Cabelas or even Wal mart flogs it off at.

When inflation hits, everything gets more expensive. In the states, petrol has gone crazy, food is expensive, and so on.

Compared to over here,it is at giveaway prices..Even food is a literal dumping price compared to Europe /Ireland
    The last thing that usually gets inflated is, of course, your pay!:mad:
    Of course..You gotta pay for all the welfare,health care plans and tax and spend policies of the Democrats!:rolleyes:Here we have the same problems,we are of course just paying for people who should be in jail like Madoff for a century or two,gambling debts.So it kind of evens out.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

price of 243 hornady 100gr is 31 euros in kn shooting in kerry, 33 euros for 95gr sst hornady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

centre wrote: »
    price of 243 hornady 100gr is 31 euros in kn shooting in kerry, 33 euros for 95gr sst hornady.

Where is that place. I never heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A personal favourite is finding old stock at its old price. Picked up two boxes of 100gr ballistic tips in .25-06 yesterday for €30 each. They're normally €45 each, and escalating. DR6.5 will have bought them at new prices more recently than I have so he might know whether that's gone up again. Ammo's gotten frighteningly expensive though, way too much to do a lot of practising unless you use something that has surplus stuff. As good a reason as any to shoot a .308 or a .30-06 or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hornady Superformance .308 150grain SST €38

.223 Hornady 55 Grain Vmax €27

FEDERAL has gone up €3 a box in most places I priced ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Ammo's gotten frighteningly expensive though, way too much to do a lot of practising unless you use something that has surplus stuff. As good a reason as any to shoot a .308 or a .30-06 or the like.

I have a .308 so don't be looking at prices of other cailbres much but can cheap practice/surplas ammo be got for the 30-06?

Remmy wrote: »
    I have a .308 so don't be looking at prices of other cailbres much but can cheap practice/surplas ammo be got for the 30-06?

Privi stuff AFAIK can be had relatively cheap
    http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_a.php

Yep, at €74 a hundred from Fingal Sports. About €10 a hundred more than .308 stuff, and not as good (The MEN German stuff at that price has a few really good reviews behind it), but trigger time is trigger time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yep, at €74 a hundred from Fingal Sports. About €10 a hundred more than .308 stuff, and not as good (The MEN German stuff at that price has a few really good reviews behind it), but trigger time is trigger time.

Can something similar be sourced for a .300 win mag (even 1 euro a round would be great value :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

kn shooting- knocknagoshel shooting center, between abbeyfeale and castleisland on the limerick kerry border. www.knocknagoshelshootinggrounds.com

Vegeta wrote: »
    Can something similar be sourced for a .300 win mag (even 1 euro a round would be great value :o )

I wouldn't be sure. The PRVI stuff comes in pretty close I think. Maybe around €22 or €24 a box. It's typically decent enough too.

I wouldn't be sure. The PRVI stuff comes in pretty close I think. Maybe around €22 or €24 a box. It's typically decent enough too.

The Privi stuff was the poorest manufactured ammo I have seen though. In Soft Nose not 2 soft noses were uniform in a box of 20.

I was looking at a box recently of Privi .308 and I was not impressed by Quality

I saw more accurate Remmy Stuff for almost the same price

The Privi stuff was the poorest manufactured ammo I have seen though. In Soft Nose not 2 soft noses were uniform in a box of 20.

I was looking at a box recently of Privi .308 and I was not impressed by Quality

I saw more accurate Remmy Stuff for almost the same price

I've seen the same stuff, but in a lot of cases it seems to shoot surprisingly well. Like I said, when what you're looking for are cheap cartridges to keep hands and eyes working, they're perfect. I've heard too many mixed reports of bullet performance to ever fire one at an animal either, but paper doesn't hurt. It's brilliant that they make affordable practice ammo in hard to find cartridges or expensive rounds. If you were loading, the brass is supposed to be very good as well, so cheap practice ammo and a source of good components. Win-win really.

I just looked up their web site and got this.
    Article Caliber Bullet
    Type Bullet
    Weight[gr] Bullet
    Weight[g] Vellocity
    [m/s] Energy
    [J] Barrel
    Lenght[mm]
    A-116 300 Winchester Magnum SP 150 9.7 990 4750 610
    A-119 300 Winchester Magnum FMJ BT 145 9.4 1000 4700 610
    A-124 300 Winchester Magnum SP 180 11.7 885 4580 610
    A-370 300 Winchester Magnum PSP BT 165 10.7 930 4630 610
    A-371 300 Winchester Magnum HP BT 168 10.9 920 4610 610
    A-372 300 Winchester Magnum HP BT 190 12.3 865 4600 610
    A-377 300 Winchester Magnum GROM 170 11 875 4210 610

They talk the talk but you get what you pay for.
    I tested a couple of boxes of this stuff in my .308 and it was fine out to 100y or more. But there was a big difference when I went out to 550 yard as they have a high Deveation. Mind you I still hit the 550 target but it is about 3ft tall and 1.5ft wide so hard to miss.
    I also shot a couple of deer with this stuff and they had no complaints.
    In my opinion it is excellent practice ammo and if you are not shooting to far you should hit your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Don't even look at prices in the US and elsewhere, Its just not good for you, makes you and everyone around you miserable.
    We are in Ireland so why should we as shooters and hunters not accept being ripped off also.

I can only wish I could shoot at some of the prices mentioned, my last 100 rounds from RWS cost £360, had to go north to get them as no dealer here would order them for me, even with cash up front.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    Don't even look at prices in the US and elsewhere, Its just not good for you, makes you and everyone around you miserable.
    We are in Ireland so why should we as shooters and hunters not accept being ripped off also.

I can only wish I could shoot at some of the prices mentioned, my last 100 rounds from RWS cost £360, had to go north to get them as no dealer here would order them for me, even with cash up front.

Fook! What round was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

heads up..

Read on a uk forum that consistancy with the .243 100g privi Can be poor and hard to achive with certain rifles in comparison to the 90g rounds,
    will have to get a couple of boxes of 90s..............cc30

Fook! What round was that?
    8x68S

• Advertisement

8x68S

Ouch. Nice round though. I like the more esoteric stuff. Great allrounder. Would love a 9.3x62 myself.

Ouch. Nice round though. I like the more esoteric stuff. Great allrounder. Would love a 9.3x62 myself.

As an allrounder comes close to fitting the bill for the 1 rifle hunter.
    Heard there are a few 9.3x62's about but not seen one yet.
    The varoius metric cartridges would probably make for an intresting Thread.

As an allrounder comes close to fitting the bill for the 1 rifle hunter.
    Heard there are a few 9.3x62's about but not seen one yet.
    The varoius metric cartridges would probably make for an intresting Thread.

Not heard of any in this country. Wouldn't be a huge amount of use for one unless someone made a habit of driven boar shooting and spent a lot of time in the thick in Africa. Would love one though for that stuff and the classic value. How do you find the 8x68? Should be somewhere around the .338 mag class of recoil. I'd say it puts down deer with authority anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Im cant remember whether it was a 9.3 or an 8.6 (those metric catridges are confusing ..) but I pawed an over/under double rifle in a carlow gunshop a few weeks back. It was hung up with all the other over/under shotguns so I thought it a bit strange that this one had a shorter barrel and rifle sights.

I'd say it would be a handy thing for boar ;)

Im cant remember whether it was a 9.3 or an 8.6 (those metric catridges are confusing ..) but I pawed an over/under double rifle in a carlow gunshop a few weeks back. It was hung up with all the other over/under shotguns so I thought it a bit strange that this one had a shorter barrel and rifle sights.

I'd say it would be a handy thing for boar ;)

It's a 9.3x64. I held it my self a while back. Lovely feal to it. I could just imagine my self in a wood withe the dogs driving the bore toward me and the beaters shouting.
    I would love to have a shot of it just to try it out.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    It's a 9.3x64. I held it my self a while back. Lovely feal to it. I could just imagine my self in a wood withe the dogs driving the bore toward me and the beaters shouting.
    I would love to have a shot of it just to try it out.

Do you mean 9.3x74R? It's a rimmed cartridge for double rifles, while the 9.3x64 is a rimless cartridge for bolt actions (Not trying to be pedantic, but it'd be interesting to see the 9.3x64 in a double gun and I'm curious). I love a lot of those old cartridges and their histories. German settlers in Africa in the early 20th century would have carried an awful lot of 9.3mm rifles of various kinds, particularly the 9.3x62, and they killed everything with it. Despite it being relatively small, it has such an iconic history in a lot of Africa that it's specifically exempt from the energy and calibre requirements for dangerous game hunting, in acknowledgement of the fact that though it doesn't make the cut on paper, its history tells that paper can't carry the whole story.

Not heard of any in this country. Wouldn't be a huge amount of use for one unless someone made a habit of driven boar shooting and spent a lot of time in the thick in Africa. Would love one though for that stuff and the classic value. How do you find the 8x68? Should be somewhere around the .338 mag class of recoil. I'd say it puts down deer with authority anyway!

Bought for Africa a few years ago, worked great there. Hope to go for Boar on continent soon.
    Yes, is sometimes classed with the .338 Win Mag, with heavier bullets definatly has an edge over most 300 mags.
    In a rifle of appropriate weight recoil is not bad. Originaly developed for big deer and Boar, Generally accurate in most rifles, launches a 200gr bullet at about the same speed and trajectory as my other favourite, 130g 270 Win.

No follow up shots needed, but strange performance sometimes, but have had a number of large reds just stand when hit with heart/lung shots, as if missed, then take between 1 and dozen or so slow steps and lay down or fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Tell me about it Vegeta! I am in the States right now and didn't expect to pay $50 for 20 rounds of 338 Win Mag.:eek: Might as well shoot 50 BMG at that price!

You'd pay that here for decent ammo in any cartridge I'm afraid, so expect feck all sympathy. :p I've seen .338 Mag stuff here for about €65 a box, around the same price as the like of 375 H&H.

• Advertisement

Do you mean 9.3x74R? It's a rimmed cartridge for double rifles, while the 9.3x64 is a rimless cartridge for bolt actions (Not trying to be pedantic, but it'd be interesting to see the 9.3x64 in a double gun and I'm curious). I love a lot of those old cartridges and their histories. German settlers in Africa in the early 20th century would have carried an awful lot of 9.3mm rifles of various kinds, particularly the 9.3x62, and they killed everything with it. Despite it being relatively small, it has such an iconic history in a lot of Africa that it's specifically exempt from the energy and calibre requirements for dangerous game hunting, in acknowledgement of the fact that though it doesn't make the cut on paper, its history tells that paper can't carry the whole story.

yes i stand corrected it is a 9.3x74r

Advertisement