Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice for PhD Interview

Options
  • 09-07-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hey, have an interview for a microbiology PhD position coming up and just wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to prepare. Are there various questions that I should be ready for etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Not nessecarilly micro related, but be prepared for questions like
    why do you want to do a phd,
    what do you hope to get from a phd,
    what are you planningo n doing after a phd,
    do you see yourself in academia/industry,
    could you get where you want w/o a phd,
    what experience/skills do you have that prepare/suit you to a phd,

(these are some of the ones i got in interviews a while back)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Tree wrote: »
    Not nessecarilly micro related, but be prepared for questions like
    why do you want to do a phd,
    what do you hope to get from a phd,
    what are you planningo n doing after a phd,
    do you see yourself in academia/industry,
    could you get where you want w/o a phd,
    what experience/skills do you have that prepare/suit you to a phd,

(these are some of the ones i got in interviews a while back)

Cheers for that. My aim's are very general, from my experience to data I know I really enjoy the area of research and would have a general goal of doing a PhD in an area that interests me, then doing a PostDoc and maybe someday getting into research/lecturing. However I feel that this might be a bit general for them if I say this.

What you'd you say they are looking for from the above questions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I was fairly honest about what i wanted and expected. I reckon a phd will be pretty tough, but ive dealt with failed projects in the past and am a stronger person for it, so hopefully will be able to hack the phd. Overall, im not sure i could recommend some of the answers i gave (i was a bit brutally honest), but i'd say have a think about the why you really want to do it and just be prepared to answer some questions about your motives for doing a phd.

Also, if you have any relevant hobbies and activities, think about how you can bring them into some answers, demonstrate your enthusiasm for the topic in more than just academic grades.

Advertisement