Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get the most out of new Garmin 3790T

Options
  • 09-07-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've just received my Garmin 3790T and as it's the first road GPS device I've owned, I'm not sure how to get the most out of it. I'm in the process of updating it's firmware and it seems I can download the latest maps onto it too. If it proves good, I'll buy the Lifetime maps update package too.

One of the reasons I went for it was it comes with a speaker for bluetooth handsfree calls, though so far the quality of the speaker has been quite disappointing and I can't find a way to playback music from my Windows Phone device through the unit which would be very useful to do.

I have a Garmin Edge 705 device for my bicycle and love being able to map out a route on websites like http://ridewithgps.com, download them onto the device, and then follow that route on the road - can you do that with the 3790T?

A big attraction of getting a GPS device for the car was the ability to get warned of speed camera locations - how do I go about setting that up, do I need to pay some website for a subscription?

The 3790T has FM Traffic notification capabilities - is that live in Ireland and has anyone had much joy with it?

Sorry for the multiple questions, just trying to get the most out of the new gadget so appreciate any pointers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Lifetime Update is ONLY for a single unit. If you buy another unit next year [at this time] you cannot transfer the 'lifetime' to it, so think harder on this one.

The speaker might be off, but on my 310T/1490T they are a bit tinny, as long as the other person speaks clearly, it will work, you also need to speak clearly, you can't have a typical fast conversation, brief concise it should be fine.

Map routing and transfer, AFAIK should work the same, I've never done so myself.

There is another thread on the speed cameras here, I've not looked in a couple of months. It was not worth the subscription, don't know if things have improved.

Garmin are behind schedule in the features roll out, also, unfortunately, live FM traffic may be limited to within a few miles of Dublin and only database traffic alerts for the rest. A database system says that the main road into town is busy at 08:30am.

When the live traffic is rolled out it will be ad supported ~ IMO this is nuts and unsafe.

We need a major upgrade, like the iPhone did to telcos, these GPS units have fantastic features but little or no 'network' support.

Check the speaker in your unit, you'll find similar units on YouTube and it'll give you an approximation of what to expect, it should be OK [I've found it needs to be 90% volume ~ yet on the road for directions, that far too loud].

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

I only received my Garmin 3790t yesterday and decided to go online and ubdate map(s).
    I found it a bit of a roundabout experience---I have got to the stage where I keep getting told to free up more space as I need 8GB of space to down load the maps.

In my PC I have freed up just 2 gb (on my C drive) however I have another hard drive on my PC with loads of space but I seem to be given no opportunity to select where to save the maps.

I imagine that I don't really need 8GB after all I just want an up to date Ireland.(am I missing something - is there any need to have to download all of Europe)

I hope you do not mind me asking this question here -- I am also interested in getting the most out of my device.

Thanks

Hugh (2)

Advertisement