Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First trip

• 09-07-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Since I got no responses on my earlier threads, I went for a spin on my lonesome to try and get a feel for how this cycling malarky actually works (I normally commute but its only a 10 min cycle so that doesn't really count).

I went from rathmines, past the aviva out to dun laoghaire and back again. Trip was good fun actually, I was looking to keep the speed up and was happily overtaking the slower 'leisure' people and trying to keep up with the lycra brigade (some chance!)

Couple of things:
    Irish roads are in a really ****e condition!
    You learn fast which bumps in the road to ride over and which ones you stand up for!
    Thank god for padded lycra.
    I hereby repent for every cyclist I've gotten impatient with as a driver, driven to close to and generally acted the bollix to.

My thingy on the front set of cogs which moves the chain up and down is rubbing off the chain in second and first so I left it in third for the duration (my legs will pay for that in the morning), do I just loosen the nut which clamps it to the frame and move it over?

Couple of other noises emanating from the bike, though its only a week old and the nice people at cycleways said to bring it back soon enough to tune it up so I guess they'll sort it.

If my legs are still working tomorrow, I'll go for another spin somewhere. Might try out towards howth or someplace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Well done for getting out. On the iPhone I cant be arsed to type up the way u adjust the front mech, but don't touch the bracket. YouTube it and see Joe the adjustment is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭selana

whats the gizmo called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

It's called a front derailleur.

bike_diagram2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

selana wrote: »
    My thingy on the front set of cogs which moves the chain up and down is rubbing off the chain in second and first so I left it in third for the duration (my legs will pay for that in the morning), do I just loosen the nut which clamps it to the frame and move it over?

Couple of other noises emanating from the bike, though its only a week old and the nice people at cycleways said to bring it back soon enough to tune it up so I guess they'll sort it.

Pedalling fast is good for you (I'm assuming your 'third' means the small chainring). Much better than pushing a big gear.

More than likely it's just cable stretch which will be sorted out by turning the adjuster to be found on one end or the other of the gear cable.

Cheers guys - headed out to Bull island this morning (via croker as I'm hopeless with directions and have become dependent on my satnav). I discovered this thing called 'wind' which seems to exist when you aren't driving. I found that a lot harder to deal with then any gradients (if you can call a slight elevation in the concrete a gradient).

In terms of kit and the like, what do you guys bring with you on a trip? Also, where do you put any gear? I've a bag in my flat that contains things to do with tires and reinflating them, but honestly, I've no idea how to even get the wheel off let alone fix a puncture. Some ultra slim, ultra quick dude who shot past me this morning had something that looked like a bag under his saddle, is this normally where things go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

In terms of kit and the like, what do you guys bring with you on a trip? Also, where do you put any gear? I've a bag in my flat that contains things to do with tires and reinflating them, but honestly, I've no idea how to even get the wheel off let alone fix a puncture. Some ultra slim, ultra quick dude who shot past me this morning had something that looked like a bag under his saddle, is this normally where things go?
    That's a saddle bag. Link for thread started on what boardsies keep in their saddle bags. One can also keep stuff in the pockets of their cycling jersey. Cycling jersys have pockets located at the base of the back.

I need a new bike?! (might want to check that link)
    Hmm, would need a cycling jersey to go with option 2. Excellent, more chances to spend money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I need a new bike?! (might want to check that link)
    Hmm, would need a cycling jersey to go with option 2. Excellent, more chances to spend money!
    Link fixed. You might want to use the forum search function ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Advertisement