Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Home Ec

• 09-07-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello ! ;)
    Any people doing home ec for the LC ? or anyone who just done it ?
    What do you think about the subject ? I find it interesting, a lot to learn some parts are hard to learn like vitamins... soo confusing... I was learning my home ec from the begging of 5th year I never wrote a test without studying for it therefore never got less than 90% also I've done my home ec project
    are there any people who got an A1 in home ec ? that's what I'm aiming for
    any tips for getting an A1 ? :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I did it..had a nightmare in the exam tbh panicking, so I'm expecting a terrible result in August, despite studying for the last 2 years.:(

Just learn everything off! And work on your timing. Timing is soooo tight in that exam, so do your compulsory questions first.

I pretty much knew the course, but panicking/crying/hayfever for the whole exam completely wrecked it for me. I was a mess, and the info just wouldn't come back. So the other thing that's important if you're aiming for the A1 is to stay calm!! It's the only way you'll be able to recall everything you learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Thanks !
    I'm scared about timing too... even in the test i never have enough time...
    My teacher always says that the clue is to look at the marking scheme beside the question and if the max is 5 marks for the question then you don't suppose to be writing everyting that you know on the topic but I'm that kind of person. I always think that if i write more it would be better but is not.. can't do anything with it

I would still write down everything I know, but make the points relevant to the question first. I'd keep writing for that question for as long as the time allows, but move on once it's up.

ye but the problem is that i'm writing so much and when the time is going to end for a particular question i always think that i either wrote too little info or i'm in the point that i can't just leave with one sentence if u know what i mean
    i have to do something about it because i may be in huge trouble in my LC home ec exam

You've a whole year to get it sorted, don't forget. Go to your teacher when you start school again, and ask her about it. You could suggest doing timed exam questions in class by way of a test to improve. That way, you're teacher can correct what you've written, and tell you where you're going wrong.

• Advertisement

that is a good idea with the teacher
    what part of the home ec course did u find most hard to manage ?

I found all the stuff about the food commodities and the Irish food industry and everything else that goes in that section really difficult to manage just because it's boring, and completely endless. And it's so unpredictable in terms of the exam. At least the social sections are interesting-ish, and you're guaranteed a question on them in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

Try do a mock before your mock at home, because I like you always did really well in all my class tests never less than an A and studied non stop through 5th and 6th year, then only got a c2 in my mock :(
    Studied my ass off after that so it should have gone up, but just do as many past papers and mocks as possible!

PoisonIvy wrote: »
    Try do a mock before your mock at home, because I like you always did really well in all my class tests never less than an A and studied non stop through 5th and 6th year, then only got a c2 in my mock :(
    Studied my ass off after that so it should have gone up, but just do as many past papers and mocks as possible!

I studied all through 5th and 6th year too, and only got a D1 in the pre:eek: It was really weird, I got full marks in some questions, and next to nothing in others..my teacher couldn't understand it because I always got As otherwise. It takes a lot of dedication to get an A in this subject. Practise as much as you can!

OMG... that's what I'm worried most about... I'm really into study for home ec... i began study from september in 5th year and if I will see a D on the mocks it will be very unexpected. My home ec teacher told me that i'm well able for an A but I'm not sure if she is saying that because she really thinks that or it is because she generally likes me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

angela1711 wrote: »
    OMG... that's what I'm worried most about... I'm really into study for home ec... i began study from september in 5th year and if I will see a D on the mocks it will be very unexpected. My home ec teacher told me that i'm well able for an A but I'm not sure if she is saying that because she really thinks that or it is because she generally likes me...

No matter how much she likes you she isn't going to give you an unrealistic expectation of your predicted grade.

If she says you're well able for an A then with study and hard-work you should hopefully get an A.

i hope that the project don't bring me down... i think it looks good but who know how the examiner will mark it... what do u think about the home ec project ? i think it depends on a person it may either bring someone down or up with grade

I poured my life into my project tbh, and my teacher said it was A standard. It's worth the effort, especially when the deadline is so early in the school year. Just do it really well, and then forget about it and move on with your study. It was really difficult though. The research I did was crazy. I kept trying to outdo myself and my classmates, but it was worth it in the end. I'm hoping mine will bring me up, seeing as I cracked on the day of the exam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

PoisonIvy wrote: »
    Sorry to invade this thread, as I don't even do Home-Ec but your reply got me thinking about something. I contacted Examcraft (one of the companies that set mock exams in Ireland) and enquired whether I could get a Mock Paper sent to me and get it corrected in December as I do Economics myself and would like to do 2 mocks, however they told me that I had to be listed as a teacher in a school to be allowed to order mock exams, so i'm just wondering does anyone know where I could avail of possibly old mock exam papers online?. I know they're not set by the SEC or anything, but when you know the previous years exam papers questions already it could be handy to have something that might be slightly different!.

Meehan: My teacher also said that my project is an A standard I hope she is right...
    I would be really disappointing if the project would be the thing that will bring me down.. I hope nothing bring me down only up ;)

PictureFrame: Besides exam paper you can see the mocks papers at www.mocks.ie but as far as i know you have to pay for the paper there but u may be interested so check that ;) You can also ask teachers in your school e.g. accounting teacher or business teacher or even year head they may have access to some past economics mocks papers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Meehan: My teacher also said that my project is an A standard I hope she is right...
    I would be really disappointing if the project would be the thing that will bring me down.. I hope nothing bring me down only up ;)

That would be TRULY horrible if the project you down... I mean, keep up the positive attitude. Definitely ask other people who did well in Home Ec. what to put in the project... even better if you could just look at someone's old one/practice one whatever. I know it's supposed it be entirely your own work, but I would of liked to know exactly what sort of stuff to put each section, instead of just writing in stuff that might of been a bit waffly.

Try to get it finished early! The project was a disaster in my school. The principal had to get our deadline extended after he was faced with a class of panicked home ec. students the two days before the deadline skipping LCVP, frantically working on with uncorrected/half-finished projects and a home ec teacher who was home 'sick'! *hyperventilates thinking of it* :eek:

^^Definitely, it's vital that you get the project finished early. I finished mine on the day before the deadline. I had the work done, but there's almost as much work in transcribing the stuff from roughwork to the official booklet. You're writing will be tiny because it's impossible to fit everything in with average writing.

Try not to leave anything out, just make your writing smaller to fit it in. I also advise writing in print if it gets exceptionally small (mine did in some parts) to make it as legible as possible for the corrector. My teacher told me that if they have to use a magnifying glass to read it, they will!

Also, if you think you've made a huge mistake in one section, it is possible to photocopy a blank version of that page and stick it in over that, and start again. As long as you're not adding extra paper to it, it's grand to just replace it as such.

Don't let any of your classmates/friends have your journal. No matter who they are. If you have put a lot of work in to it, keep it to yourself at all costs. You'd be amazed at the things really desperate people will do if they're running out of time, or have just generally fecked it up. Your journal must be unique, and any copying/cheating of any kind will be very obvious because of the nature of this particular project. Plenty of late nights, hard work and tears went into mine, and only my teacher and I knew it's contents. Make sure it's the same for you.

/rant:P

well, I have done my project already ;) i got it back to my teacher... so now i can't do anything about it only hope it is A standard ;)

You're lucky you've yours done so early! Our Christmas tests were pushed forward 2 weeks, so I only had about a week and a half to prepare for them after doing the journal. That was a very very bad time in the school year for me:o:P

My home ec teacher said that the deadline for the project was 20 something June after 5th year and there is no possibility of doing it in 6th year... she collected all of my home ec class projects and she said that she will send them to department in June as this is the final deadline..

• Advertisement

Have they changed the deadline so?:confused: My deadline wasn't until November!

maybe they changed it or maybe my teacher just said that deadline was in june because she wanted everyone to have it done before 6th year...

That's a possibility. There's always a few who will leave it for as long as possible and wreck the teacher's head a couple of days before the deadline trying to get it done!

yee i have 2 people in my class who totally mess up with the project... they've done nothing all year and before June they had only 1 assignment done... I don't get people who are doing the subject with no any interest in it they had many different choices

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

i think home ec is quite easy.
    im starting the leaving cert come september and iv never gotten anything less then a B in any of my exams its a subjct that i find easy to study for. i think you'l be fine witht the project as your teacher knows exactly what they are looking for. personally speaking we do a rough write up and our teacher orrects it before we write it into the booklet, do any of your teachers do that? and the deadline is novemeber i think

ye my teacher corrected it like 50 times ;)
    for my home ec is not that hard to study but i heard that many people got A's all through 5th year and then en up with D or C in real thing...

ye my teacher corrected it like 50 times ;)
    for my home ec is not that hard to study but i heard that many people got A's all through 5th year and then en up with D or C in real thing...

I had 2 rough drafts for all my assignments before they went into the journal. I'd a real perfectionist of a teacher!:P

A's all through 5th and 6th year for me, I'll probably get a C in the real thing..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I loved Home-Ec. It's interesting, a lot common sense and social studies is laughably easy (do that elective!).

My teacher didn't do a tap with us for our project so that will be a bit of a bad result.

I got A's & B's throughout 5th & 6th year. The exam went terrible for me in June and am expecting a C, I've actually never got a C in Home Ec :( . Ever..

;/
    I heard that it is not easy to get an A1 in home ec but i never thought it will be that hard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

people: i'm doing my project work over the summer..its got me freaking out: my teacher just keeps zipped on what she thinks i'm getting...she wont tell me if its good or anything... any tips..and as for the tiny writing thing...i find i have room left over because my mind goes blank...surely a bad sign??

Advertisement