Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked rim diagnosis

• 09-07-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Theres a 1 inch crack on my rim :eek: Touring bike/SS spokes - am I stupid to ride on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

YES, cracked rim can only end up in disaster. bin it and buy a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Without a picture, I'd advise not to ride on it.

With a picture, I'd probably still advise not to ride on it. An inch is a fairly long crack, wherever it is. Just imagine that you hit a nasty bump or a pothole on a fast descent with that rim - could be very, very nasty. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The short answer is: no, you shouldn't ride it.

The long answer is: it depends on where the crack is. If the crack is on the sidewall of the rim then no, don't ride it, as the pressure of the tyre and tube can effectively blow the wall of the rim off (if you are unlucky). Had that happen to me once resulting in a length of aluminium strip about half a metre long jutting out from a spinning rear wheel dangerously close to my leg until it snagged on my chainstay and completely locked the back wheel.

If the crack is on the face of the rim where the spokes attach then you may well get away with using the wheel for a little longer. The level of risk depends on a number of factors, such as the construction of the rim, whether the crack is either side of a spoke hole (i.e. is it really "just" a half inch crack either side of the spoke hole), etc., and, of course, luck. Such a crack is less likely to cause as impressive a blowout as a crack in the sidewall, but that isn't to say that it won't be serious and won't occur at the worst possible time.

Advertisement