Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike - 4 Touring and fitness

• 09-07-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

So hoping I can get some advice. Looking to buy a good bike, currently I have a great like but its a mountain bike and its horrible for commuting and would be a disaster for long distance, plus the frame is too small for me.

So been looking around a few shops and talking to people but each shop only deals with a few manufacturers and then I have no idea how to compare one to another plus then I forget what model number they were talking about when UI go into a new place a week later :D

Ok so I best explain what I am looking for. I'm 6'1" and a big lad, big build I mean so I need a bike the right size for me. Plus I have some weight on me atm due to some injuries and this is actually partly why I am getting more into cycling.
    So I am going to be doing some small tours around Ireland, well I start off with a cycle down to EP for Temple Street hospital but later on it Sept I intend on doing a 5 day tour around Co. Clare (around 350km) and I hope to do more, like Wicklow and Waterford, Kerry and Donegal over the next year or so. Plus I will be hoping to use the bike daily commuting and travelling in and out of the city (Dublin) from Cabinteely.
    I am looking for something good and reliable (clearly), light, no suspension, fast and comfortable. I think I might want it all :D
    Oh and I have never been a racing style handle bar bike so probably a straight bar or something, not sure

Budget is between 600 - €900 ish

So one bike that I am liking the look of is the Felt Speed 30. Its very light, pretty strong and some great parts on it.
    Another was a Trek and another Dawes but I cannot remember what models they were for the life of me.

Any thoughts, advise and or suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I assume you know about the bike to work scheme?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I do but does not apply to me as I am only working for the next 2 months and then I am back in College

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buy a Trek 1.2. Make sure it fit you.

Advertisement