Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in the US?

• 09-07-2011 7:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I can appreciate this has been done to death but I wanted to ask if anyone knew what the job situation is like over there. I moved to the UK this year for what I thought would be my dream job until I was made redundant 2 months after I started. I always wanted to do the whole J-1 to the US thing but I had a job at the time and, since I am from a rural area, did not want to give it up at the time. I was employed in a lab and was wondering if anyone knew of any good recruitment agencies over there. I'm going out of my mind with boredom and would love to do a bit of travel. I was emailed by a recruitment agency based in New York a while back but the email was very poorly typed and they wanted $120 so I ignored it.

Thanks in advance!!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What kind of lab? Ie what qualifications do you have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks for replying! Microbiology/Virology/Immunology - a bit of a mix of all 3. I have a degree, a masters and a small amount of industrial experience.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'd think your chances for a H1B work visa would be pretty good if you can find an employer to sponsor you, chemists are needed as far as I know. Do not pay an agency, it's like Ireland- you don't pay reputable job agencies, the employer does. But I would actually recommend looking on the websites of large chemical/ pharmaceutical companies for jobs, so many places no longer use job agencies.

Would you consider Switzerland as an alternative? Easier move/ no visa needed, and there are lots of chemical and pharma companies there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Job situation in the US is complex. There are industries that were hit really hard in the recession that have not regained their footing and there are other industries that have bounced back with a few booming during the time.

I would suggest looking at academic institutions because most have research grants that require experienced scientists to manage projects. I do believe that agencies are a viable option, but these should only be explored once you are in the States. I would also advise you to look outside of the larger cities and look more closely at college towns and more small to mid size cities. You will have less competition.

Example:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=immunology&l=St.+Louis%2C+Mo&radius=50

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=medical+research&l=St.+Louis%2C+Mo&radius=50

Something you may qualify for?

https://jobs.wustl.edu/psc/APPLHRMS/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=21817&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure that academic institutions would be your best bet with the Great Recession going on in the USA. Typically the state universities lag behind private sector during economic down swings, and are now feeling the effects of budget cuts, well after the 2008 private sector fall.

Big Pharma would be worth exploring with your skill set, especially with the Baby Boomers beginning to retire. Their increasing health care needs will drive the prescription drug market. Also major health care R&D and manufacturers like Johnson & Johnson. JNJ is headquartered in New Jersey, and have their job openings listed online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hey guys,

Thanks for replying. I actually didn't think of Switzerland that way at all. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Black Swan wrote: »
    Not sure that academic institutions would be your best bet with the Great Recession going on in the USA. Typically the state universities lag behind private sector during economic down swings, and are now feeling the effects of budget cuts, well after the 2008 private sector fall.

Not when it comes from private or government grants awarded for specific research projects. There will always be that type of funding. I think your concern about public universities is valid but those positions in danger are primarily funded through tax dollars and tuition.

Advertisement