Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 10, Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208km

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Jesus H Christ.
    Just watched the sports news on RTE 6-1 there and they get around to TdeF
    No mention of the absolute carnage, and the withdrawals, and then they read out the stage 8 results and placings!?!?!?! WTF are we paying licence fees for this sh|te for? Imbeciles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

seen it earlier on itv4
    still wince when i see it again
    heard they both finished
    hope the rest day tomorrow helps them recover and finish le tour

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

kenmc wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ.
    Just watched the sports news on RTE 6-1 there and they get around to TdeF
    No mention of the absolute carnage, and the withdrawals, and then they read out the stage 8 results and placings!?!?!?! WTF are we paying licence fees for this sh|te for? Imbeciles.

Count yourself lucky - yesterdays news at nine didn't even give the results, despite sportives attracting thousands of riders it appears rte still believe that a sporting mad nation like Ireland don't follow the largest annual sporting event :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jdt101 wrote: »
    Threads merged

Do not start any threads about any current-day events - use the specific stage thread to avoid spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I watched the last hour or so of the stage on TV.

Wtf?

That was crazy...why did that car need to pass those guys anyways, they were fecking TV people, not team directors.

Sean Kelly is a brillant analyst on Eurosport by the way, and he said there are lots of car drivers with little or no experience of driving on the tour.

If that's the case it's only a matter of time before a cyclist gets killed by one of these drivers.

If the two crashed cyclists don't get financial compensation as well as their times set to the same as the winning group of 3 cyclists, then the Tour De France will have become a farce this year. They lost out on a chance of a stage win through no fault of their own, but some idiot driver.

It reminds me of the farce that surrounds FIFA every so often.

lovely riding style off the saddle has Voeckler. there was a stat that had him doing 65% of the wrok at the front today. incredible.

Even more incredible when you remember that half of Armstrong's team were doped to the hilt and have admitted to it since...whether Armstrong was or not is irrelevant I guess.

I reckong Armstrong should be stripped of several of those Tour Wins due to the fact many of his domestiques were doped, and dragged him up mountain after mountain, chased down breakaway after breakaway and helped him in team timetrials.

Yes I know it's off topic, but!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hoogerland's barbed-wire fence injuries image attached.

GRAPHIC IMAGE of blood and cuts, open at your own discretion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Rovi wrote: »
    Hoogerland's barbed-wire fence injuries image attached.

GRAPHIC IMAGE of blood and cuts, open at your own discretion!

No doubt about why he looked to be in pain!!

Highlights of the stage now on Eurosport 1.

Those two crashed riders were going really well before the crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

RT66 wrote: »
    No doubt about why he looked to be in pain!!

they may have the same waist line of a suoermodel,

but they are real men!!!!!

Another one of him in the fence.

(again, GRAPHIC IMAGE)

This guy is deserving of every medal, award, and trophy ever made for sporting heroism and determination.

If I was in that state, I'd be blubbering like a baby, not looking to get back on the bike!

Chapeau, in the biggest possible way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Vino broke his hip in that crash, ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

The peleton should cycle in protest on the next stage. That was a joke. Two accidents caused by tv crews (car and motorbike).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Was it his hip? He was moving his legs (gingerly and not alot) but if he had broken his hip he wouldn't have even been able to stand up.

If it was his hips he is looking at a long time out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

It was a broken Femur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Hoogerland said it was an accident and he was just glad to be alive some man. He flattened a timber post aswell. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

driver expelled
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9028/Driver-involved-in-FlechaHoogerland-crash-expelled-from-Tour-de-France.aspx#ixzz1RjUFGUgt

sky deciding what to do
    For now, both Sky Procycling and Vacansoleil are delaying their comments. Dave Brailsford said the team wanted to wait. “After the stage everyone's emotional now. We'll look at the situation tomorrow and we'll take the matter forward then.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Hoogerland such a gent.

He had to be expelled tbf

• Advertisement

hoogerland - 33 stitches

http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/car-sends-dutch-tour-cyclist-flying

dont know how he'll carry on

Communique from Tour de France

Race officials released a communique reminding everyone of “rider safety” following the accident when a French TV car knocked over Juan Antonio Flecha (Sky) and Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil). The driver and the car were ejected from the Tour.
    Medical report

Crash at 40km: Amets Txurruka (Euskaltel-Euskadi), fractured collarbone, transported to hospital; Lars Bak (HTC-Highroad), cuts, scrapes to right elbow; David Millar (Garmin-Cervélo), trauma to right elbow; Jean-Christophe Perraud (Omega Pharma-Lotto), cuts to right elbow, knee; Marcus Burghardt (BMC), scrapes to left knee, elbow.

Crash at 100km: Alexander Vinokourov (Astana), fractured right femur, evacuated by ambulance; Jurgen Van den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto), fractured shoulder blade, evacuated by ambulance; Frederik Willems (Omega Pharma-Lotto), fractured clavicle; David Zabriskie (Garmin-Cervelo), probable fractured wrist; Brent Bookwalter (BMC), cuts to left shoulder, knee, light head trauma.

Crash at 130km: Yaroslav Popovych (RadioShack), cuts to left elbow.

Crash at 170km: Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil), multiple cuts and scrapes, transported to local hospital; Juan Antonio Flecha (Sky), multiple cuts and scrapes.

Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil), Arnaud Coyot (Saur-Sojasun), digestive problems.

Grega Bole (Lampre), pain in left knee.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/andrew-hoods-2011-tour-de-france-notebook-stage-9-truce-opens-door-for-voeckler-seven-years-later-horner-leaves-hospital-van-garderens-run_183122

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

He is the hero of the tour. Finished before being stitched and didn't go into foul mouth mode when asked about it. To be honest it looked like the barbed wire fence saved him from worse. Sort of like the flexible netting they use in skiing. If the tdf don't do something more than ban the driver it would be a joke. What would have happened if they had hit voeckler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I already had a man crush on Hoogerland due to his attacking style - that mad attack in the giro where he rode across and then attacked again was unreal, stupid but unreal. My admiration has just grown immeasurably. Chapeau JH!

Can TdF do anything beyond kicking the driver off the race and possibly banning them from future ones?
    The French legal system is very much a 'foreign land' to me, but am I right in thinking that if someone is to be prosecuted over this, it'll have to be done by some branch of the police or the judicial system?

Surely the maddest aspect of the whole episode is that it was for VIP guests of the tv channel? Surely not? Suddenly the riders become canon fodder for the money, tv, advertiser, sponsor circle. Footballers realised this back in the day of jimmy hill. Hence the wage spiral.

ashleey wrote: »
    Surely the maddest aspect of the whole episode is that it was for VIP guests of the tv channel?

Have you got a link for that? Sounds too mental.

• Advertisement

That's the talk from email posters from France on the telegraph uk news feed. I can't believe it was true. Apparently though the tv channel tried to claim that the car wasn't theirs that it was just associated with them. Just watched the trailer for chasing legends on itv4 Thursday 8 pm and my wife's first comment was 'why are there so many cars involved now?'

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/529306/crashes-take-toll-on-tour-s-favourites.html

The tune is being changed from VIP to technical assistance to media to press and back again. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Saw a great line:
    When Chuck Norris sees Johnny Hoogerland, Chuck bows before him.

ashleey wrote: »

God, the chart at the end reads like a 'King of the Crashes' points table. Levi is winning with 3 points. He should get a special jersey that's covered in blood, torn to **** and has a big car tyre track down the back,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just caught the highlights on tg4,

-That Hoogerland crash was Horrific to watch, the speed he was sent into that barbed wire fence was sick, and to the finish the race after that, took unbelievable courage.

-Roche will be kicking himself for letting the wheel in front slip, he slipped by 5 metres, and was sprinting for the line, so it's not like he was 20m down the road huffing and puffing which is a plus, but he said himself, mentally he would have prefered not to have to suffer the extra seconds, when still right there or thereabouts.

-Peter Velits is a serious contender, he has a great kick on the climbs, and he is a fatastic ITT, he got on the podium of the Vuelta for gaining almost 3 minutes in the ITT over some guys in front on GC, including Nico. He isn't the best on the very long climbs, but he looks in superb condition, so I'm looking foward to the first few days of big climb, to see if he has what it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

John.Icy wrote: »
    Just caught the highlights on tg4,

-That Hoogerland crash was Horrific to watch, the speed he was sent into that barbed wire fence was sick, and to the finish the race after that, took unbelievable courage.

-Roche will be kicking himself for letting the wheel in front slip, he slipped by 5 metres, and was sprinting for the line, so it's not like he was 20m down the road huffing and puffing which is a plus, but he said himself, mentally he would have prefered not to have to suffer the extra seconds, when still right there or thereabouts.

-Peter Velits is a serious contender, he has a great kick on the climbs, and he is a fatastic ITT, he got on the podium of the Vuelta for gaining almost 3 minutes in the ITT over some guys in front on GC, including Nico. He isn't the best on the very long climbs, but he looks in superb condition, so I'm looking foward to the first few days of big climb, to see if he has what it takes.

same with myself, only caught the highlights there and by god was there lots of them.

That crash with the car was horrible to watch and i cant believe Hoogerland was able to continue never mind the Sky cyclist. The tour seriously needs to look a cyclist safety now cause its getting out of hand a bit.

Roche may be disappointed with his finish in the end but he is in good position at the moment and hopefully he kicks on now in the 2nd week of the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Esroh wrote: »

On the upside, it has satisfied my curiosity about whether pro cyclists shave their arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Riding to the finish like that, with the wounds still streaming down his legs, was heroic.

His magnanimity in interview afterwards was frankly humbling.

Having seen the crash I went a bit mental. I spent the rest of the highlights baying for blood, shouting at the telly, cursing the casual cruelty and unfairness of the universe - that driver being kicked off the tour would not be good enough: take his licence! Criminal proceedings! Screw it, a rope, a tree, and a stool!!!

And then the interviewed JH and, with tears in his eyes, he basically shrugged it off. "No one does these kind of things deliberately".

That made me feel like a right petty bastard and endeared him to me even more.

Move over Jens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    Move over Jens.

Isn't it lucky that he's retiring this year (it would seem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Hoogerland will be feeling it today. I got a similar injury about 15 years ago, only was gouged by two barbs though, never bothered to go hospital and it took over a year for the 5 inch gashes to close and heal.

Must say looking at the picture of him lying on the ground it's lucky that no passing field mice mistook his mouse hole for their own :eek:

Advertisement