Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art

• 09-07-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello to you all ;) !
    What do you think about LC art ? I've done it for 5th year and at the end i realize that I have to give it up as quickly as i can !
    It is very hard if u don't have a general talent... I don't believe that you can do in it well if you don't have the natural skills and no u can't learn them !
    In my opinion it is same as with for instance signing, you will not be a superstar without having a natural voice. I think dropping down to the OL is not a much help if you are not able to draw you would not be able to draw in OL also.
    However the art history part was grand for me. I love history !
    What do you think about art ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Art is a very difficult subject IMO. The course hasnt been updated in far too long. The Biology course, for example, has been revised TWICE since the last revision of the Art course. I think it's ridiculous that there is a Leaving Cert course that is literally impossible to fully cover. While I understand that you can cover plenty to sit the exam, you should be able to do all of every course within two years.

Within the test you have to be quite detailed with all of your answers. Questions can have many different aspects which can easily be skipped over due to the fact that they aren't layed out clearly in the question. Also you have to memorise a vast amount of sketches for every question.

I enjoyed drawing but the level required is far beyond that of the Junior Cert. The fact there there is no real aspect of project work doesn't help either. You are put into a highly pressurised environment with little time to finish your craft piece/sketches.

The course needs to be revised immediately. It has the lowest level of A's of any subject in the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Exactly ! The art history is a huge course... my teacher said that he would be able to do it in 2 years only if he would do only art history no practical work. I think there should be a project even for 20 %... I'm happy that i change it to business, which is a lot easier for me. I've done few design sheet durnig this year and none of it was a "LC standard"... People who got an A were excellent at drawing etc. I think none should take this subject only because they think "Oh, is drawing nothing to learn I will get an A" no you won't.
    I though the same and I was wrong. Well everyone can try it but I do not recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

:eek:um, i'm doing art for leaving cert 2012... i have NO idea whats expected of me, and art history can be troublesome too :( any tips for me...? i mean... i literally have no idea

Dont fret. Your teacher will explain it all. Enjoy the rest of your holidays and worry about it when you get back to school. If you enjoy doing art you'll enjoy L.C Art. Like all subjects, there are parts you wont like and maybe even parts you'll hate but that's the L.C for you. It's not like J.C Art at all but then again, there are no subjects like J.C Art. It's a doss :rolleyes:. Go have fun before school starts again. You'll have plenty of time to worry about your subjects when you're actually doing them :)

Exactly ! Go and take your holidays there is no time for tips know ;)
    I'm not saying that art is impossible it was just hard for me (mainly because i have noo talent at all ;)) If you will find art course useless or too hard or whatever than you can always change it ;)

• Advertisement

hehehe...i'm just over thinking it all... i do like art as a subject.. i better just pray that everything goes ok during the year :/ :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Is it true that Art has the lowest level of A1s of any subject? Is there any particular reason for that?

I don't know because I heard that art is one of the easiest subjects to get an A in but after doing it for all 5th year i will say no it is no the easiest subject...
    I think it may has low level of A's because the standard of drawing and all of the work just have to be perfect and by saying perfect I really mean it. The marking scheme is harsh and the time to do the art history course is just so short. It is impossible to get it all done so you have to study and write a lot of essays yourself plus you have to learn so much about the artist and their work and you have to know how to make a sketch of a painting and label it etc.
    I saw work of people who got an A1 and it was stunning... absolutely amazing.
    The only plus in art i think is that for the practice exam which you will have 4 of them all in may you get the paper few weeks before the actual exam so you have a time to prepare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I just looked there... only 1.3% get an A1 in Honours Art, compared to 7.7% in HL Maths, nearly 4% in HL English or 18% (!) in HL Applied Maths.

It seems pretty low to me.

yeah 1.3 % is like nothing... but if you are good at art if you are creative and enjoy drawing, sketching or making things and if you find that makes you happy than art maybe for you ;) i think Art is one of those subjects that you can't learn you either born with good drawing skills or not and you not become a Piccasso without it neither you will get an A without it

• Advertisement

Yes Art does have the lowest percentage of A's. However, as far as I'm aware, the C2 to A2 levels are quite high. If you enjoy Art go for it. If you are attempting to use it for "easy" points, don't. Easy points don't exist; especially not in Art, where dedication and practice is required for the whole two years. To be honest I wouldnt base your choices on A or B percentages. You know your aptitude. You know if you like the subject and if you will be able to do well in it.

My advice is to get a textbook and read some parts of it (read things like Newgrange and other Early Irish stuff). If you can handle those areas, which in my opinion are amongst the most tedious, you will be able for the history. If you're worried about your artistic skills ask your Art teacher. The first day back of 5th year ask them do they think you're skills are in the right place to grow into a high grade. I undersdtand that some people will progress greatly in 2 years but your teacher will have a fair idea. If, after those two things, you have decxided Art is most definitely not for you look intoi changing your subjects. If you dont do it in the first week or two you mighn't have a chance to do so. I know my school wouldn't let anyone change after the first week had passed.

My art teacher told my that I will be well able for art so i picked it... and because of that I wasted a year. My school also doesn't allowed people to change a subject after few weeks so I went to my year head on the end of 5th year and ask her to do business insted of art, thankfully she said it is a good choice and she agreed ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

AnnaKin wrote: »
    :eek:um, i'm doing art for leaving cert 2012... i have NO idea whats expected of me, and art history can be troublesome too :( any tips for me...? i mean... i literally have no idea

As someone who did LC honours Art I can offer you some advice. Your final art piece/painting etc is not half as important as your prep work. Examiners want to see a lot of planning, e.g preliminary sketches, colour samples etc. for your final piece. They are worth twice the marks.
    The art history can be pretty tough to understand if you miss a class and later want to catch up so id urge you not to miss art classes! E.g meanings behind certain paintings e.g

Go to every class and you will be fine, and do your work asap and dont let it build up as it can be incredibly daunting when you have several different pieces to finish! If you have any questions feel free to PM me. :)

well i didnt know that :rolleyes:
    thank you!! ok well i have a q or two so yeah i'll pm you thanks :D

I think art history isn't that bad to catch up by yourself ;)

Are you sure about that regarding the prep work? Isnt the Prep sheet worth only 5 marks? Or possibly none? I know they expect prep work and they want to see the development and original concepts but the final piece is still worth the majority of the marks. I did L.C. Art this year too and thats what our teacher was telling us in the build up to the Craft Day.

my teacher always told as that even if the prep sheet is worth 0 marks you have to do it anyway because if you don't have it than the examiner can't give you develop marks because he/she can't see from what you develop your final piece...

Oh yeah I know that. I just dont agree that the prep/prelim are more improtant than the final piece. At the end of the day thats what's most important for marks. :)
    Your final art piece/painting etc is not half as important as your prep work. Examiners want to see a lot of planning, e.g preliminary sketches, colour samples etc. for your final piece. They are worth twice the marks.

This was what I was talking about.

yeah I know what you mean the final one is definitely the most important one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Erm no, prep is only worth 10 marks out of 400 (total).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pattttyy

any predictions for art history this year? only 2 days to go ahhh..im craving for the A..im doing giotto leonardo and picasso and unsure if to do michaelangelo..all my essays are A standard ...for irish section bronze age and iron age..im ok at newgrange :P will this be enough to cover to get an A...and apreciation is fine..hope a nice design Q comes up like in the pre's..i got 48/50 :D predictions pleeeeeeeeease ...ease my mind lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

pattttyy wrote: »
    any predictions for art history this year? only 2 days to go ahhh..im craving for the A..im doing giotto leonardo and picasso and unsure if to do michaelangelo..all my essays are A standard ...for irish section bronze age and iron age..im ok at newgrange :P will this be enough to cover to get an A...and apreciation is fine..hope a nice design Q comes up like in the pre's..i got 48/50 :D predictions pleeeeeeeeease ...ease my mind lol

There's a prediction thread and an exam discussion thread for Art History on the front page of the forum.

Locking this thread, most of the posts are from last year and we have enough Art History threads floating around!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement