Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas Pro 10? Recommendations?

Options
  • 09-07-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21 daisylady

Hi Folks,

Im looking for some advice as to which of these programs to use. I have used the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 trial version and to be honest I find it a bit 'fiddly'. I wont be purchasing it. A few people have recommended Final Cut Pro.

I am very much an amateur, I have a Canon 550d, and hope to get stuck into a piece of editing software and get comfortable with it.

Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas Pro 10?
    Any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 a lot. I don't shoot on DSLR, but as far as I'm aware, you can edit DSLR files nativly in Vegas without the need to convert them to something else. Not just DSLR files though, Vegas can take in most file formats with no problems.

Vegas has a VERY user friendly interface and is great for quick and easy edits. It also has great audio editing capabilities (it started out as an audio editing program years ago)

My vote would go for Vegas, but try out both just to make sure. I'd be weary of going to Final Cut now considering the uproar FCPX is causing. I'd wait to see how that pans out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I used Pinnacle Studio on a PC for years. Wonderful product (if a little unstable). Got a mac and am using the highly-stable Final Cut Express. The only thing, as already pointed out, is that the interface is very daunting. I've gotten used to it now (after 12 months!). I can't comment on Vegas though - I've never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I use Vegas more than FCP-E these days. I found that I could get . The manual that comes with it is VERY comprehensive.

You can get a free 30day trial of Vegas from Sony. No signups or anything required. Try it and see you you like it.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'd go with Vegas, I've used both & while Vegas goes forward FCP just seems to be going backward at the moment.

The vegas interface is quite easy to use, have a look on youtube at some of the tutorial videos for both & see which you like the look of best

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Average-Ro wrote: »
    I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 a lot. I don't shoot on DSLR, but as far as I'm aware, you can edit DSLR files nativly in Vegas without the need to convert them to something else. Not just DSLR files though, Vegas can take in most file formats with no problems.
    What format do DSLRs record use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi guys,

I'm in a similar situation to the OP but AVCHD support is the kicker for me.

I've read about compatability issues with AVCHD and Vegas. Anyone have experience on this?

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 21 daisylady

always a great resource here, thanks for the info, think I will go with the Vegas Pro 10 for the 64-bit.

On another note, does anyone know of any other useful UK or Ireland forums online for editing and filming for amateurs like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'll send you a P.M. with details, the mods are not fond of putting links up here

Advertisement