Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Quick 20k before lunch around leixlip, maynooth celbridge. Have 20k down to about 48-49 minutes now. Also got my first strava podium today!

Which one so I can go snatch it back :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

brownian wrote: »

My Ultegra Di2 was giving me fierce gyp in the middle gears (4/5 or so). Any tips on indexing it?

I don't have any tips but did you hold down the button on the junction box for a few seconds and put it in RD adjustment mode? Then adjust?

I thought it did the FD/Trim and learnt the hard way. :/

Meh. First I found below. I didn't RTFM. Not that I have Di2 or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cracking day for a cycle. I even got some sunburn on my neck and face!

Did a 174 km return spin to Newry at a respectable average of 26.3km/h.

http://app.strava.com/activities/119464699

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cracking day for a cycle. I even got some sunburn on my neck and face!

Did a 174 km return spin to Newry at a respectable average of 26.3km/h.

http://app.strava.com/activities/119464699

Bloody hell. How do you find the time? I had a day off and could only manage 62km

godtabh wrote: »
    Bloody hell. How do you find the time? I had a day off and could only manage 62km
    It's all about time management (and a very supportive Mrs WA)!

...and I have a few days off work at the moment. :D

(and I think I was still in bed when you finished your spin!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Did you go down a mineshaft after 100km!

Nice spin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I thought I had good time management but I think I would have to tip my hat to you sir.

Most people are asleep when I start/finish my rides!

ford2600 wrote: »
    Did you go down a mineshaft after 100km!
    Spotted a few of those dips alright and I clicked the 'correct elevation' feature but it doesn't seemed to have altered it.

EDIT: I reloaded the page after a fe minutes and it has corrected it now (less than half of what it was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

104km in 3 hours 45, the drivers in and around Clane really dislike cyclists..numerous times nearly ran into the hedges :|

Avg speed 27.8km/h :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Zyzz wrote: »
    104km in 3 hours 45, the drivers in and around Clane really dislike cyclists..numerous times nearly ran into the hedges :|

Believe me it's not just Clane..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

not yet wrote: »
    Believe me it's not just Clane..

Oh I know that. But today was the first time cycling through and it was pretty bad :(

Zyzz wrote: »

Great average for that distance J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

My normal commute is 16.5km (Rathfarnham to Santry) but I have been stretching it out a bit adding an extra 5km on certain days, the going home 5km is up to Mt.Venus and back which always makes me question my sanity but is totally worth it all the same!
    This morning I got up early and took the scenic route to work going out the coast road up as far as Baldoyle before coming back through the Northern Cross, a brilliant 32.5km in wonderful conditions. It's good to be alive:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Snuck out of work for an extended lunch break and headed up Cruagh to the Sally Gap. Perfect conditions; clear skies, crisp, and only a tiny breeze. Regretted having to turn back, but even the couple of hours were excellent. Very slow at 21kph over 42k, but most of my winter lard is still with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It's fcuking glorious out there. Did a grand spin, Longwood- Summerhill- Trim- Longwood , 40k @ 27.5 kmh.

http://www.strava.com/activities/119669904

Spring. Ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Heavenly out there. Started out slow and a bit achy up garristown but loosened out a bit on the way down. Over to Kilbride. Batterstown and home. 57k at 28.8kq. Big turkey sambo for lunch and 45 mins giving tlc to the steed. Bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

90k. Feels great to be cycling with the sun on your back. Roll on the summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What a great day for it,unfortunately i struggled badly for the final 15k, the worst ive felt in a long time,like i was hit by a bus.
    I normally have a rest day after a spin but couldnt resist that weather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/119673073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

20km cruise along the Lagan towpath, absolutely gorgeous out there this evening. Great to see so many people out exercising too (not many in my picture though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

First puncture commuting today which was a pain. Thankfully I had a spare tube and pump etc but I'm really going to have to get better at getting back wheel off and back on chain and lined up properly in the grooves. Took me ages.

At least it was a nice enough morning to be stood at the side of the N11 for a while.

Thanks to the cyclist in the blue top who asked me if I was ok as he was going past. Top man. :)

• Advertisement

...but I'm really going to have to get better at getting back wheel off and back on chain and lined up properly in the grooves. Took me ages.....
    Before removing the wheel, change to the highest gear (smallest sprocket). Makes it much easier to align the chain again.

(...and if you can get some disposable gloves/surgical gloves they are always handy to keep it the backpack or inside the bar ends to prevent oily hands).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully wrote: »
    What a great day for it,unfortunately i struggled badly for the final 15k, the worst ive felt in a long time,like i was hit by a bus.
    I normally have a rest day after a spin but couldnt resist that weather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/119673073

Well it seems i was struck with some strain of flu,im an asthmatic so i get the flu jab every year but something got through yesterday,i thought it was just a bad day but never felt that bad on the bike before,weak as a kitten for the last 15k.
    Spent the evening/night in bed with a high temp while shaking madly with the cold,bed clothes and top i wore dripping wet :eek:
    Uniflu and nurofen combo seems to be doing the trick today,feeling better but off the bike for a few days i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Dcully wrote: »
    asthmatic.... nurofen

I'm asthmatic, and have always been warned against using ibuprofen. Paracetamol and vitamin c are as much as I take. This is not medical advice, and your mileage may vary. Hope you get better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Lovely spin around the hills of Mayo, into Castlebar turning towards the west and circling Nephin. Stopping off for a spot of lunch before heading into Ballina and a short loop out towards Killala. Makes such a difference when the weather is like this!! Ain't being unemployed grand :-D
    Longest ever cycle at 120km. The endorphins are flying!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/119998273

Another spin up the Sally gap this afternoon, even slower than yesterday but brilliant nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Have been off the bike since Thursday due to work that required the car and what not. Was depressing reading about some of the spins here.

Got to do a good commute this morning and stretched it to 22km on the way in.
    Homeward I took the long route that was 16km and when I got to the house I decided to swap my Boardman for my Canyon, that I took out of the attic yesterday. I hadn't been out on it since the end of November. It was my "Sunday" bike.

I had put a set of Gator skins on it, which I was wary of and the rear derailleur was all over the shop due to my idiocy.

Took about 2km to get used to the bike again and fix the rear shifting. Since I was last on it I have gone from being able to touch my toes to putting the palms of my hands on the ground. In fairness a lot has changed since I was last on my Canyon.

All I can say is..... Well holy God!

I ate the road.

I was that person spinning around the general Firhouse area grinning like fool :)

Ended up with 26km for the way home as it got dark but I can't wait to use the Canyon more as the weather get better.

At last I think I can give the bike the spins it deserves and won't feel embarrassed* :)

*Tis a helluva bike tbh, way beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Today I decided to ignore my total lack of climbing fitness and do the two gaps.

Died up Cruagh road (at least 3 stops) met Carpenter by chance at the featherbeds and had the pleasure of his company while dying up Sally Gap, up until he turned off left at crossroads and I went on to Laragh (Note to Carpenter, I should have followed you left!).

Had a grand time descending to Laragh, and took a good 20 minute coffee break before forging on towards Wicklow gap where I died up that hill, stopping maybe ten times (in my partial defence a wonky rear caliper was applying the brakes to one side for most of that climb.)

After that horror story I had a grand old time descending the other side, but was pretty much flat and energy less for the remainder of the spin, when a relative offered me a lift back to Dublin at 89km I took it....shame on me, but it was misty ahead and I don't love cycling through Crooksling at rush hour at the best of times.

I was immediately shamed by the sight of other cyclists apparently heading that direction on the way home...the moral of the story...need to do a lot more hills in manageable bites.

Still a great day though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/120041875

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Today I decided to ignore my total lack of climbing fitness and do the two gaps.

Died up Cruagh road (at least 3 stops) met Carpenter by chance at the featherbeds and had the pleasure of his company while dying up Sally Gap, up until he turned off left at crossroads and I went on to Laragh (Note to Carpenter, I should have followed you left!).

Had a grand time descending to Laragh, and took a good 20 minute coffee break before forging on towards Wicklow gap where I died up that hill, stopping maybe ten times (in my partial defence a wonky rear caliper was applying the brakes to one side for most of that climb.)

After that horror story I had a grand old time descending the other side, but was pretty much flat and energy less for the remainder of the spin, when a relative offered me a lift back to Dublin at 89km I took it....shame on me, but it was misty ahead and I don't love cycling through Crooksling at rush hour at the best of times.

I was immediately shamed by the sight of other cyclists apparently heading that direction on the way home...the moral of the story...need to do a lot more hills in manageable bites.

Still a great day though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/120041875

Any time you are heading up again give me a shout I am always up them flipping hills and thanks for your company I relay enjoyed it :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Cheers man....think I might stay off the hills today though!

• Advertisement

Cheers man....think I might stay off the hills today though!

Haven't been up the Wicklow gap this year yet, one to ponder for the weekend. Like yourself, dying a bit in the hills at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement