Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

back on the bike after 5/6 weeks.
    Did 52km in just under 2 hours. Drogheda to Slane to Cushinstown, past Duleek and back into Drogheda.
    Into the wind at for the first 20/25 km which made it difficult. Will take a couple of weeks to back to the level I was at the beginning of the year.
    My arse is in bits even though I had new padded tights. Think I need to new saddle.

Might go out for another spin tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lord Jesus that's great distance. Presume you cycle the old Dublin Road rather than the m4?

Yeah cycle it regularly. The wife is from Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Did about 66km today. Quite windy but there were 2 of us so able to hide a little bit occasionally.

Passed one of the Baku lads at one point, not even a nod from him :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Could I hazard a guess that it's a Monaghan based bus company?

Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sullzz wrote: »
    Ah but the captains hill can be a pig at the end of a long cycle

Try Stepaaide Lane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

nice one gapper today, two different climates in evidence, wet crosswindy and cloudy up on Sally Gap and comparatively balmy in Laragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Did a club ride today plus the to-and-from, for a total of 102km. It was windy and cold...0C when we started the ride, and now a balmy 6C out there. 2-4" of snow forecast for tomorrow, but hopefully this is the end of winter.

http://www.strava.com/activities/121202720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Back on the bike this week for the first time since the end of November, really glad to be back.
    Intended to take December off but it ended up being for a lot longer with back trouble.
    Have been out last Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and then yesterday.
    Up Ballinascorney Hill each time, got to the top without stopping which was nice! Honestly, first time I was worried I wouldnt!
    First 3 outings I went onto either Blessington or Russborough House, so between 50-55k and not too hard once Ballinascorney was out of the way.
    However yesterday I decided to go on upto the Gap, so a bit tougher, 62km approx round trip, home the same way but out by Manor Kilbride and onto the Blessington Road rather than back over Ballinascorney.
    2h45m I think it was, averaging bang on 23kmph, which Im fairly happy with.
    And finding a phone while sitting having a celebratory Mars bar at the Gap, and returning it to a very happy and appreciative owner this morning, was a nice plus!
    Its good to be back on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

75k today for myself. Terenure up the n81 past brittas and turn and across sallys gap down military road, enniskerry, step aside and back to terenure. Nasty wind and rain up there this morning... Good spin though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

lennymc wrote: »
    well done - we all have to start somewhere :)

Yes, well done and keep at it. I did my first proper cycle since I was a teenager a week after last years TdF in July. Hooked now and hopefully going to complete Wicklow 100 and Tour De Burren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Cycle Against Suicide recon work for stage 8. Also my first metric century. 104km.

I was teetering between doing a series of loops close to home, but I talked myself into doing the recon work. Stage eight of the Cycle Against Suicide is Tuam - Castlebar - Enniscrone.
    The route from Tuam to Claremorris is very undulating lots of up and downs. Going upwards is long shallow gradients. Then the downwards slopes are over too soon and it's hard to get any speed boost.
    The N17 had a lovely hard shoulder for most of the way. The section of road from Milltown to Ballendine had no margin. There was a lot of misting, but no rain.
    When I got to Claremorris, they were preparing for their St. Patrick's Day Parade, on the 16th.
    On the way back there was lots of downhills, I felt like I flew back to Tuam. When I got back to Abbey, I on course to do 90km. So I messed around to get the distance over 100km.
    My first metric century, when my neck stops hurting, I'll be really proud of myself.

http://www.strava.com/activities/121259643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Nice day for a spin, Laragh and back, breezy, misty and a bit cool around SGap, but much nicer lower down. The front wheel hub cracked coming (slowly) down a steep hill, didn't come off, just wheel rub due to the missing spoke, so slowly home with the brake calipers open. I had a similar incident with the rear wheel late last year, so loosing a bit confidence in the fulcrum racing 3s', not the kind of wheel failure you want on a decent at speed.

298887.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Well I fell off my bike today for the first time since I was about 10 years old. Sore elbow. Sore knee. Right shifter badly twisted and gears not working properly. I'll live and the bike will get fixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I completed the Mick Byrne 200 as an audax permanent. 3,500m of climbing and 228km for the day - solo. I'll feel it tomorrow. http://www.strava.com/activities/121321667

If you'd told me a year ago I'd be doing this for fun I'd have thought you were crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I completed the Mick Byrne 200 as an audax permanent. 3,500m of climbing and 228km for the day - solo. I'll feel it tomorrow. http://www.strava.com/activities/121321667

If you'd told me a year ago I'd be doing this for fun I'd have thought you were crazy.

Currently on my hands and knees on the floor looking for my jaw under the sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I did the Boards Evil last year. It was something similar but I had more mileage in the legs by then.

If anyone wants to try their legs at audax the next event is the Ardattin 200. 200km leaving from Bray, it's only 2000m climbing and the route includes Brittas Bay, Avoca, Aughrim, Clonegall, Ardattin, Rathdrum, Ashford and back to Bray.
    The details are here. http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/ardattin-200/

I did it last year and it was one of the best days I've ever had on the bike.

Audax is great, all the distance of a sportive but without the numbers and a much cheaper entry fee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did the Blarney race today. Finished with the top bunch with average speed of 37km/h.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham - Sally gap - Laragh - Sally gap - Rathfarnham. Only 82k and really felt it. Too much lard around the waist and not enough miles in the legs, corrective action required on both fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Did 70km yesterday - house Ardee - Carrickmacross - Dundalk - Castlebellingham - home. Windy starting off to Carrick - flew to Dundalk - Ok to Castlebellingham - wind in my face for the last 7 - 10km ... and tired. Disappointing 23.9km average but I'm not pushing, just doing distance at the moment. Did a cumalative 170km last week - want to do a 100km before end of March - Tour de Connemara coming up. Think it was the bike but a noticeable squeak came into the bike over the last 20km + ... would my crank bearing need greasing or is it breaking down ? Bike is only a year and 6 months with only 2k km max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I went out this morning with the purpose of keeping it on the flat as I'd done Sally Gap on Saturday and my legs felt slightly tired.

I headed out to Newcastle then on to Celbridge. I turned back toward Newcastle and decided to head for Athgoe and on to Rathcoole and Saggart to return via the N81. Not exactly flat but a nice few small climbs which I handled OK.

50km in total which is 120km for the weekend after my 70km spin on Saturday.

I'm busy in work this week so I'll have to wait until the weekend to get out again but I've my sights set on my first 100km spin in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

30 km today as my second spin. Celbridge maynooth Leixlip celbridge. The stretch home was tough into the wind but definitely felt more comfortable and confident on the bike today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

godtabh wrote: »
    Try Stepaaide Lane!

Yes I know it well , but never cycled it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

45kms of hills today in Cratloe and environs. Foil: Lot of dogs today. Good cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Finally got a good chance to work on my tanlines this year. 4 laps of the hill, gives me my first 50km ride of 2014. Pleased that I'm finally getting myself together and doing some decent cycling

http://www.strava.com/activities/121773367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Finally got a good chance to work on my tanlines this year. 4 laps of the hill, gives me my first 50km ride of 2014. Pleased that I'm finally getting myself together and doing some decent cycling

http://www.strava.com/activities/121773367

Don't forget rule #7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Tough going in Cork this morning, savage headwind which of course will turn before I get home so I have it the other way. Lashing rain so didn't use the camera and had a bus pass close enough to brush off my fecking arm! Camera is going to be stapled to my forehead from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Lovely spin yesterday afternoon, Naas, Hollywood, Donard, Glen of Imall, Dunlavin, Naas - 80Km. Army Exercises in the Glen, machine gun fire and lots of rat a tat tat, so head down and sped out of there pretty quick dodging any stray bullets !!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I did the Boards Evil last year. It was something similar but I had more mileage in the legs by then.

If anyone wants to try their legs at audax the next event is the Ardattin 200. 200km leaving from Bray, it's only 2000m climbing and the route includes Brittas Bay, Avoca, Aughrim, Clonegall, Ardattin, Rathdrum, Ashford and back to Bray.
    The details are here. http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/ardattin-200/

I did it last year and it was one of the best days I've ever had on the bike.

Audax is great, all the distance of a sportive but without the numbers and a much cheaper entry fee!

Tempting..... sooo tempting.... will think about doing this in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭rob w

Just the usual cycle to work this morning, slowly rolling up to the lights, they didn’t change as quickly as I expected and my mind was elsewhere and I never unclipped. Very nearly ended up in a heap, (Id say the traffic behind me had a good laugh at the wrestle between myself and the bike to stay upright)…….first time that’s happened since I started riding with clipless pedals about a year ago! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

RNLI Charity Cycle recon - out the Roscommon road and back - 32.9km

The RNLI Charity Cycle is coming up on the 30th of March, I decided to do some recon on the possible route. I'm not sure whether it's going to be a clockwise loop of Lough Ree, or an anti-clockwise one.
    The road out to Roscommon Town is undulating, long slow climbs and short sharp descents.
    The road back in is the opposite, short sharp climbs and nice long descents.
    It should be a good cycle. I'll recon the Mullingar road next week.

http://www.strava.com/activities/122682362

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement