Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Smashed into a car on the way home at Ballsbridge, I'm in the bus lane. Traffic at a stand still. Car coming from the opposite side in order to reach their destination, man in van lets the car in, she darts across without looking bam. Shoulder took the brunt, cheekbone is swollen. Two auld dears, first thing out of there mouth "it was your fault".

The van driver hops out, as he saw everything. Said to take the reg and did I want to go to the hospital, but I didn't. They offered me tea? There's usually a garda posted outside the embassy, no sign of him today, otherwise I would of reported it. Bike will have to be assessed tomorrow. Van driver kindly offered me a lift, so thanks very much Ken from Bray. Helmet will be purchased this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Report it asap. Like now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Smashed into a car on the way home at Ballsbridge, I'm in the bus lane. Traffic at a stand still. Car coming from the opposite side in order to reach their destination, man in van lets the car in, she darts across without looking bam. Shoulder took the brunt, cheekbone is swollen. Two auld dears, first thing out of there mouth "it was your fault".

The van driver hops out, as he saw everything. Said to take the reg and did I want to go to the hospital, but I didn't. They offered me tea? There's usually a garda posted outside the embassy, no sign of him today, otherwise I would of reported it. Bike will have to be assessed tomorrow. Van driver kindly offered me a lift, so thanks very much Ken from Bray. Helmet will be purchased this weekend.

Hope you don't have too many extra pains and aches in the days ahead. Hopefully you took the car's reg and a phone number for Ken. I had a similar accident a few years ago but with more serious consequences - the demise of my Mercian and a snapped tendon in my wrist. Luckily someone called a Garda who took all the details. After surgery and a lot of correspondence with the insurance company, I ended up with a pretty good settlement. Make sure to report it to the Guards in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

ford2600 wrote: »
    Report it asap. Like now

+1 on that. Hope you're ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

20km on Tuesday. 65km on Wednesday and 75km on Thursday. Rest today and hopefully a 125km spin planned for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I took a half-day from work, meaning I could leave the house at 10:00 and get on the road.

I decided I'd go for a century (100 miles) and ended up doing a 180km ride to the Jersey shore and back. I sat in the sun on the beach and ate a meatball sub for lunch.

Going there was awesome, coming back was windy as hell. Beautiful day out, though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/122714334

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Nothing as glamorous as meatball subs on the beach but 40km today. Cycle number three so happy enough. Windy as **** out there. Watch out sports fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Decided to hit stepaside and get some climbing training in, no more than 15k in and hitting some nice gradients the chain/rear derailleur had other thoughts. Chain slipped off the cassette and jammed up the rear wheel, Ping went the rear derailleur and I had a nice Fred flinstone like free wheel back to the car

🙈🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.strava.com/activities/122885697

Same lap as last time, only did 3 instead of 4 but went a lot faster. Brought the triathlete with me to give me a tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

This was yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to upload afterwards.

102km in the sunshine. Had planned on heading out for about 60-65km, but felt fantastic about 40km in so went for the bigger loop. I'm loving cycling more and more...

http://www.strava.com/activities/122557151

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

dancrowley wrote: »
    This was yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to upload afterwards.

102km in the sunshine. Had planned on heading out for about 60-65km, but felt fantastic about 40km in so went for the bigger loop. I'm loving cycling more and more...

http://www.strava.com/activities/122557151

What time do you cycle at? I was in Doha for a week and the drivers over there scared the pants off me.

Raam wrote: »
    What time do you cycle at? I was in Doha for a week and the drivers over there scared the pants off me.

I left my place at 6am for a 630am group ride. It was a Friday morning spin, so the roads were that little bit quieter. The return leg of the spin (the long, southward part) was on a busy road but with a large enough hard shoulder.

The roads here are a bit crazy, and I've even had my very own run-in with a Lexus whilst on my bike... but it won't put me off riding. When it's a billion degrees outside in the summer, though... that's a different story :D

Figured you would leave early. I was over for new years a few years ago and the temperature was like a pleasant Irish summer's day. I did my training on a gym bike. Hope the locals get more used to bikes after the Worlds in a few years, although they probably won't even pay any attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

After a holiday break, only some commuting from Wednesday till today. 116 done since Wednesday :/

Few milestones though. 1,598 for the year so far. Considering I'm a newbie I'm chuffed with that. Still smoking like a trooper and a fool :(

Also had a proper bike fitting to make sure I wasn't going to unknowingly injure myself in anyway. I pretty much enjoyed learning the hows and whys and my OCD was well satisfied. Worth the money in the long term. Now I have those fancy proper road pedals and cleats on my Canyon.... going to take a bit of getting used too versus the SPD commuting ones.

469 for the current March Strava challenge aswell. I'll do the 500 but the 750 is tempting... damn you Strava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....469 for the current March Strava challenge aswell. I'll do the 500 but the 750 is tempting... damn you Strava.
    Soon you'll be disappointed that the awards end at 1,000 - nothing for 1250, 1,500, 1,750, 2,000 etc! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Only had a quick spin about 45 km, still getting back into it. Dan I have been to Doha quite a few times and you're nuts to be cycling there with that traffic.

Left at 9:30am on Friday and it was 28 degrees, there was a nice sea breeze which made it a bit more comfortable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just about to head out, haven't used straca in a while as my spins have been short so when I logged in I had an unfinished 75k there so I just updated it, seems I was in the car... I was KOM so many times!

Jude13 wrote: »
    Only had a quick spin about 45 km, still getting back into it. Dan I have been to Doha quite a few times and you're nuts to be cycling there with that traffic.

Left at 9:30am on Friday and it was 28 degrees, there was a nice sea breeze which made it a bit more comfortable.

it depends where and when one goes for a ride. where I live, there are 2 hairy intersections in the way of a couple of hours of pretty clear road. I also worried a wee bit before that spin on Friday, but the other road users at that hour were actually very cooperative and mindful of us eejits cyclists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Short spin out to greystones this morning, plenty fresh this morning too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Did my first Duathlon up in Louth today, as hadn't the time to spend the day heading to Carlow! Super buzz, and that running lark is a bizzare thing to do after busting a gut on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Did about 30km hill session around the hill of Howth this morning with a buddy from work, first real one since autumn and boy did I feel it :) Nothing beats the pain in the legs while you're climbing but something sick inside of me keeps wanting to climb and climb more while Im on descent lol Good excuse to make room to finish off last nights Thai takeaway though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Headed Northside today and did some climbing around Howth. Both sides of the church and the Sutton side. Some amount of people out on bikes over that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

103km with 1347m of climbing. First time up the featherbeds. Some morning for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I went out this morning and headed to Lucan, on to Clonee, Dunboyne then Maynooth, Celbridge, Newcastle, Athgoe, Rathcoole, Saggart and home on the N81.

Mostly flat with a few short climbs in the last 30km.

80km done which is my longest spin so far. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-City Centre: Lunch with my Dad and home to Dunboyne.

Headed Northside today and did some climbing around Howth. Both sides of the church and the Sutton side. Some amount of people out on bikes over that neck of the woods.

That's a good work-out alright. Heading up Windgate Road from either side is a tough climb. Don't know if there is a name already for doing Howth from both sides both ways?

Out NCD this afternoon myself and it was pretty quiet out there. Had forgotten how bumpy it gets once you cross the border into Meath. Bellewstown and Snowtown made me appreciate the Granny-ring!

Don't know if there is a name already for doing Howth from both sides both ways?

A name?

Raam wrote: »
    A name?

A term, expression or collective noun. Seem to remember a few posts about it before and thought maybe it had been honoured by a special monicker. HX4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

finglas, straight to tallaght oldbawn road into friarstown up bohernabreena hill ,R114, out To r115, old military road, went down r759, n81 to blesssington had a cuppa then went around the lake, n81 again and back to finglas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement