Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A term, expression or collective noun. Seem to remember a few posts about it before and thought maybe it had been honoured by a special monicker. HX4?

Oh a name! It's called doing Howth from both sides. You can use that one for free ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Don't think I'll be getting anywhere near any of Raams' times around Howth.
    Although in my defense, I was dragging around a full set of mudguards today.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Did 65kms with the C4SC gang. Good cycle from the Eastway Business Park in Limerick, up the Ballysimon Rd. to Corbally to Broadford to Kilkishen to Sixmilebridge to Glenagros and back to Corbally. That climb from Sixmilebridge to Glenagros is a long 3% drag up. Tuckered my legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

62KM today. Hardest climb I've ever done. Enniscorthy up to Mount Leinster Mast. Legs hurt bad on the way up.

http://www.strava.com/activities/123224689

115KM cycle yesterday didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Shannonside Cycling Club Sunday Ride: Touring Longford with Gerry - 85km

Decided to go with the slower group today, mainly because I spent yesterday quite hungover.
    Tried out the new Club kit.
    Trialed the Clif bars for nutrition.
    Went up two nice climbs, one averaging 8% and a second that topped out at 14%.
    Got to bomb down some country lanes too.

http://www.strava.com/activities/123278235

Continuing my build up to the Cycle Against Suicide stages I'm taking in May.
    RNLI Charity Cycle around Lough Ree next Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Nice spin yesterday from Dunboyne over the Sally Gap. Got a pinch flat turning into the coffee shop at Glencree and was horrified to see that the valve on the spare tube I had wasn't long enough for the rim! Many many thanks to the cyclist (one of a pair, possibly triathletes) who gave me one of his long valve tubes - I will pass along the favour to the next person in distress I see.

Ridiculously windy coming down the Blessington side of Sally Gap - pretty much had to pedal the whole way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Had a private Bus company pass me with only inches to spare and I mean inches, on the way into Dublin City centre on the N1 just past Whitehall Church.

It's only when he passed me I realised how close his wing mirror came to whacking me on the head.

It gave me a bit of a fright.

I took a photo of the bus on my mobile when I caught up with it and emailed the company. I'll see what they have to say.

I've yet to receive an answer to my email. Is there anything else I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Name and shame them here?

I have a contact person in AirCoach that I've raised some issues with in the past. Let me know if you want their details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Phone them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

RainyDay wrote: »
    Name and shame them here?

I have a contact person in AirCoach that I've raised some issues with in the past. Let me know if you want their details.

It's a company called John McGinley Coaches, here's a photo of the bus in question,

9rn811.jpg
    Phone them?

Will do this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

dont want to derail this thread but I use that route going home every evening and its been said many times before but...

Dont hug the kerb anywhere in the bus lane from Whitehall to Dorset St. Stay out a few feet and dont give buses/taxis a chance to pass unsafely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Report to gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    dont want to derail this thread but I use that route going home every evening and its been said many times before but...

Dont hug the kerb anywhere in the bus lane from Whitehall to Dorset St. Stay out a few feet and dont give buses/taxis a chance to pass unsafely..

I totally agree - had a similar incident on this mornings commute. Taxi driver trying to run me off the road to make up 20 yards in heavy traffic. He literally tried to pass me with inches to spare - his bumper was side by side with my leg and if there was a drain I would've been done for. I was hugging the kerb at the time and he couldn't pass with a safe enough gap because of heavy traffic / busses in the inside car lane. In the end I decided that him beeping and gesticulating at me from behind because he couldn't get through and catch up with the traffic that was 15 / 20 yards ahead of me was better than risking being run off the road again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    He literally tried to pass me with inches to spare - his bumper was side by side with my leg and if there was a drain I would've been done for. I was hugging the kerb at the time and he couldn't pass with a safe enough gap because of heavy traffic / busses in the inside car lane. In the end I decided that him beeping and gesticulating at me from behind because he couldn't get through and catch up with the traffic that was 15 / 20 yards ahead of me was better than risking being run off the road again.

Never do this. My default position is one third of the lane width out from the kerb in normal running and centre of the lane where I feel I need to control it...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Never do this. My default position is one third of the lane width out from the kerb in normal running and centre of the lane where I feel I need to control it...

Never again! I try not enter into the Cyclist v Motorist acrimonious / adversarial debate as I'm both a Cyclist and a Motorist as I'm sure the majority of you are and can appreciate all sides of the argument as I'm sure the majority of you can and we've all seen Bad Cyclists as well as Bad Motorists. I tend to be as accomodating to motorists as I can be (extending a symbolic olive branch when I can!) but from now on, for safety's sake, I'll be holding steady a third of the lane width out as per your advice cdaly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Cycling along Clontarf towards Howth was interesting yesterday evening. Really strong crosswind and loads of spray from the sea. Had to lean the bike over quite hard just to keep in a straight line. Absolutely wrecked when I got home so wimped out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Cycling along Clontarf towards Howth was interesting yesterday evening. Really strong crosswind and loads of spray from the sea. Had to lean the bike over quite hard just to keep in a straight line. Absolutely wrecked when I got home so wimped out today

trevino-head-shake.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Instructed by a garda to cycle on the footpath earlier. New one on me. Seemingly road works where the gutter is blocked means that cycling is too dangerous on the road and you should use the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Only small distance in comparison to some on here but broke 5000km today since I started cycling to work in 2012.

Screen+Shot+2014-03-25+at+18.18.20.png

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Nice spin today from North County Dublin (Balrothery) to Tullow. 108k. Staying overnight in mount Wolsley. Just followed the N81 from Dublin City centre. Not the most scenic route but road surface is good. It's nice after Blessington. Was not sure how hilly route was so kept a bit in the tank. Only real drag is after Jobstown. Good wind conditions helped for a 28.1kph average. Have to say fair play to thoses who regularly cycle in town in a roadbike. I hate it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I did all the bad weather in the past few months but yesterday really, really wreaked me. It was tough. The worst I have had to-date.

I had the most unbelievable headwind going from the Canal/Grange? into Tallaght. Corkagh hill was a total nightmare.

At first I tried to keep above 15kph and then I had to lower my endeavours to keeping above 10 :pac: Just went home the long way with no extra added. 17km'ish. Got my Strava 500 though :)

Managed 26.5 going home this evening in much better weather.

T'was fun alright yesterday. First time I've ever been sprayed by the sea. Dunno about you but I love cycling in those kind of windy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    T'was fun alright yesterday. First time I've ever been sprayed by the sea. Dunno about you but I love cycling in those kind of windy conditions.

Try coming down off snowtown southbound in high winds. I nearly ended up in the ditch once, the front wheel wobble in the cross wind was mega! A fraction off actually ****ting myself! Wind is good but sometimes scary.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Try coming down off snowtown southbound in high winds. I nearly ended up in the ditch once, the front wheel wobble in the cross wind was mega! A fraction off actually ****ting myself! Wind is good but sometimes scary.

Sure what's the worst that could happen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/8554713.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Raam wrote: »

I like it in a "hope I don't get blown over that little wall and fall five or six feet onto the road" kinda way.

What I found most tiring was simply concentrating on balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Fabulous morning and took an extended spin to work covering 17km. Days like this are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

After an extended 33km commute yesterday morning in glorious sunshine, my return journey couldn't be more different. Started out in sun, got soaked in heavy shower, puncture no.1 ten mins in, repair in wet, get to nearest LBS for some much needed air pressure, get puncture no.2 ten minutes cycle from home, am damned annoyed now, cold, wet and not in the mood to change another so ended up walking which took half and hour:mad: 50min commute turned into 2hrs. Fourth puncture in 4 days on same wheel, ripped one month old tyre off and binned as I suspect recent run-in with a two inch screw has made it 'unreliable'.
    Don't even look at me sideways...
    Days like these test my resolve

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Coosan Point to Killinure Point and back to Coosan Point - 43.4km

For two points on the map that are only a few meters apart via water, they are a long way apart via the road.

There wasn't too much wind, but I caught a shower.
    I got the KOM I've been after for a while.

RNLI Charity Cycle around Lough Ree tomorrow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/124899300/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just over 30km, laps of Regents Park with the up and back to Archway through traffic there too. Absolutely fantastic day to be out, blazing sunshine and quite warm too (19c). Treated myself to a rather large cookie afterwards. :)

• Advertisement

Solo ride from Skerries into Phoenix Park, a few laps of the Criterium circuit, coffee, back home... Couple of punctures which was frustrating. Well fueled so felt ok towards the end too.

http://www.strava.com/activities/124928076/analysis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement