Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Cycled 200km from maynooth to eyre square in galway on Friday with over 200 others , some very experienced cyclists and other very inexperienced cyclists , we are going to cycle back to maynooth tomorrow leaving galway at approx 7:30 am , its all for a great cause for a non profit charity in the link below , if you are are around maynooth when we arrive tomorrow evening it would be great to get a big cheer for the organisers, the marshalls ,the collectors, the support crew and anyone involved

http://www2.galwaycycle.ie/this-years-charity/

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Another weekend spin that I hadn't a chance to mention before now...

http://www.strava.com/activities/124563020

I did the same 102km route last weekend, but this weekend I knew what I was in for (more water, bananas etc), making it a much more pleasant experience! The sun is coming out to play a bit more, too, so the rides will have to start that bit earlier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    Solo ride from Skerries into Phoenix Park, a few laps of the Criterium circuit, coffee, back home... Couple of punctures which was frustrating. Well fueled so felt ok towards the end too.

http://www.strava.com/activities/124928076/analysis

How come your gps routing through the park shows straight lines and not following the roads? Was looking to see what routes you were on in the park but it looks like you were grass tracking for a lot of it?

Yesterday was Terenure to Laragh and back, 86.7kms, 20.7km/hr average, max 62km/hr. Was manageable for most of the trip until the Sally Gap - Terenure leg, the misty rain, the cold, and the poor visibility made for a horrible descent. Still, longest spin I've done this year and good to get a hard spin in.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    How come your gps routing through the park shows straight lines and not following the roads? Was looking to see what routes you were on in the park but it looks like you were grass tracking for a lot of it?

No idea! Wasn't on the grass at all. The loop I was doing was along the main thoroughfare, left at the ambassadors residence, along the road by the football, down around the bends and then left up the closed road, straight through the crossroads and back up left onto the main thorough fair again.

Using a Garmin edge 500.... I expect better from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    No idea! Wasn't on the grass at all. The loop I was doing was along the main thoroughfare, left at the ambassadors residence, along the road by the football, down around the bends and then left up the closed road, straight through the crossroads and back up left onto the main thorough fair again.

Using a Garmin edge 500.... I expect better from it!

Just had a look at it again and it's now following the roads, must have been a strava processing issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Solo effort for me today most of my mates were busy so. Friarstown up Bohernabreena hill,Sally gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Blessington lake, N81 and back to me friends house. taking it Handy as it was misty and drizzling most of the time

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470301416

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

zindicato wrote: »
    Solo effort for me today most of my mates were busy so. Friarstown up Bohernabreena hill,Sally gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Blessington lake, N81 and back to me friends house. taking it Handy as it was misty and drizzling most of the time

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470301416

Fair play. Had plans on a similar enough route, but wimped out and did Rathfarnham, Sallygap, Laragh and back the same way. Really struggling to find any strength in the hills the spring. I guess more miles in the saddle are called for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Went out this evening and did some hill repeats Taylors Lane to viewing point X3. Attacking different sections to improve my Strava times,as you do. Really buried myself at times to eek out those vital seconds. Each accent I planned which parts I'd take easy and which I'd go blue in the face. Called it a day when the descents started to get rather chilly.

Pleased with my efforts I plugged my Garmin into the computer to see how I got on. Nadda..Zip..Zilch recorded for today's ride. Looked fine on the road, distance,time,total accent all collecting data on screen just not onto it's memory. Poxy feckin Garmin.:mad::mad: The one time I needed you to work you decided to f@&k me over.

Got a "Boardsie Hello" from someone on Cruagh rd.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

smacl wrote: »
    Fair play. Had plans on a similar enough route, but wimped out and did Rathfarnham, Sallygap, Laragh and back the same way. Really struggling to find any strength in the hills the spring. I guess more miles in the saddle are called for.

same here hadnt been out so much lately only during the weekends, pacing and recovery is awful, was struggling in most of the climbs but just continued its only once in a while where we get a good bit of weather so had to make the most of it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

RNLI Charity Cycle - Around Lough Ree starting in Athlone - 82km

The RNLI Charity Cycle was a lap of Lough Ree. I toured around the car park of The Bounty checking out the bikes. There were some nice ones on show.
    The cycle took off, I went with the fast group. It went off quite leisurely. But then when the road started kicking upwards, I found myself on the outside of the group, moving up towards the front. My heart rate was really high, hitting Zone 6. Then the other guys from SSCC seen I was struggling and let me in the inside. I hung on for a little bit more, but I was dropped.
    I took it easy, to get my heart rate back down. I was passed by two more riders, who had also been spit out by the first group. I rode alone until the next group caught me just after the turn off from the Roscommon road. I was well able to stay with them, they were doing about 27-32km/h. Sometimes I found myself being distanced by the group, but I just sprinted back on.
    We arrived in Lanesborough for some Rice Krispie buns.

http://www.strava.com/activities/125280299

I accidently hit the 'Save' button the Garmin (there should be a way to resume the last ride).

I went off behind the fast group, didn't catch them. I had to stop to fix my gloves. I went on by myself, knowing a group would catch me and I could hang onto them. My legs got very cold during the stop off and took a long time to spin back up.
    A group caught me halfway to Ballymahon, I slotted on in front and stayed with them as more guys took their turns on the front. After Ballymahon, the group fell apart, and I found myself in the middle of nomansland. Then the lactic acid in the hamstrings kicked in.
    Again I had to slow right down, due to the undulating nature of the road, to get my heart rate into Zone 2. The pain cleared and I seen a guy in red along way up the road. Catching and passing him became my goal. I bridged the gap to him at Ballykeeran. I sat on his wheel for a minute, then passed him at the Mullingar turn off.
    I looked up ahead, I could see the top of the Sheraton in the distance, Home Sweet Athlone! I rolled over the Ballymahon road hill and into The Bounty's car park. There weren't too many bikes in the carpark, so I felt that I had done well.

http://www.strava.com/activities/125280311

The cycle was enjoyable, and excellently marshalled. Thank you to everyone who was involved in the support crew. Well done to everybody who rode the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Out on the mountain today, a lot of water lying about, thought I'd make it up the side by this flood (right side), clipped a rock and the bike dumped me straight into the middle, it's a lot deeper than it looks with real soft mud, had to drag myself and the bike out.

680A91651F5E4328B311A4A8BEBCFFAA-0000369778-0003530226-00800L-3636CF6326D14BC4B95430F12673E1D6.jpg

Struggled on despite being soaked and came across some excellent downhill track, big sharp rocks but my bike held up well, this was one of the steepest parts, had a good laugh walking back up to the top just to fly down it a second time.

8336196B8D0F4050AE3D992605D08064-0000369778-0003530220-00800L-99A8BF4CBCBF446097F04B621C6A54A7.jpg

A slow puncture put an end to the fun, forgot a spare in my haste to leave this morning. Bike badly needed a clean by the end though, roll on the summer so its a bit dryer.

809A06C478D44EC0A9274D30F1312929-0000369778-0003530217-00800L-FD0200CEA83D4560A4DFCEAB8338948E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

So arrived back to maynooth from Eyre square in galway to a great reception , another 200km done after doing 200km down on friday , and so far over 110,000 euro raised for the Prader Willis syndrome .well done to everyone involved .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

dancrowley wrote: »
    Another weekend spin that I hadn't a chance to mention before now...

http://www.strava.com/activities/124563020

I did the same 102km route last weekend, but this weekend I knew what I was in for (more water, bananas etc), making it a much more pleasant experience! The sun is coming out to play a bit more, too, so the rides will have to start that bit earlier...

It would be nice if it was renamed "Tell us about your cycle/ride" rather than have the "today" bit tbh. :o

Due to work I didn't get out on Friday, Saturday or today. I won't do the 750 :( Did 163 for the week though. commuting. :/ 633 for the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:mad:

Threw a spoke and totally ****ed the back wheel today, it's rubbing off the frame it's so outa shape.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Was out on a club spin yesterday. Was my third time on the bike since I had to replace the right shifter, rear derailleur and chain.

Did just under 90km and chuffed with it. Better than expected.

Not its time to start hitting the hill again. :)!!!!! I seriously love hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Did 55km on Sat morning. Lovely day for it. Set a few Strava PB's and managed an average speed of 29km/hr
    Need to get out more in the evenings now that the clocks have changed and gear up to the Tour de Connemara.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Been off the bike more or less a week due to being sick.

Did a spin this morning. 45km in 1:30. The weather makes all the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Just in from a 9km spin with our 2 1\2 year old daughter on a seat on the back of my hybrid. She loved it and I quite enjoyed it myself. First time we managed to get more than a couple of hundred meters with her because she used to be little afraid of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

G1032 wrote: »
    Just in from a 9km spin with our 2 1\2 year old daughter on a seat on the back of my hybrid. She loved it and I quite enjoyed it myself. First time we managed to get more than a couple of hundred meters with her because she used to be little afraid of it...

Brilliant!! Next stop womens league!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It would be nice if it was renamed "Tell us about your cycle/ride" rather than have the "today" bit tbh. :o

Due to work I didn't get out on Friday, Saturday or today. I won't do the 750 :( Did 163 for the week though. commuting. :/ 633 for the month.

Wouldn't have had time today to cycle much, financial end of year etc. Knew I couldn't do the 750 but pumped out as much as I could commuting. Very early start and late home.

31.3 on the way in and 58.1 on the way home giving me 722 for the month. My first 700+ :) It was grand tbh, considering my lifestyle.

One thing I now need are a proper pair of gloves. Some of the roads when you head out into the countryside are shocking for vibration. Shocking in every sense!

i5ow75.jpg

198qcw.jpg

I'm thinking these 5 cans of strong polish beer will do wonders for my recovery.

I still can't get over me, cycling to celbridge? Gas tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

sullzz wrote: »
    So arrived back to maynooth from Eyre square in galway to a great reception , another 200km done after doing 200km down on friday , and so far over 110,000 euro raised for the Prader Willis syndrome .well done to everyone involved .

Well done Sullzz - great stuff

Remember if you cant get that saddle fixed, just get a new bike :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

First evening out after work now that the clocks gone forward... Whahoo!!
    Did 30k in 1hr 15
    I know it's slow but it's a start....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

A very slow start compared to you lot, I did 15km in just under an hour. My first time out on the bike this year. During that little bit of summer we had last year I was out every day, I'm determined to stick with it this year and maybe do an event or two. I won't be doing the route I just did though. I went on what I thought was a cycle path around Parc ui Caoimh , and is advertised as such but I'm not making that mistake again. It was just gravel embedded into tarmac. Supposedly it hooks up somewhere with the track out by Mahon where it's fine, so if I can find a better way onto that instead of going around Blackrock for sport I will.

Still, I had a good time. And I wasn't too cold in shorts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

It was such a lovely morning and I was in plenty of time so I decided to take an impromptu detour and go for a lap of the Phoneix Park on the way in. Well the Gods of Work were very displeased with this frivolous notion and I duly punctured within 5 minutes and spent the time fixing that instead.
    Still, a cracker of a day out there today and changing a tube under no time pressure with the sun on your back isn't the worst way to spend a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lyaiera wrote: »
    A very slow start compared to you lot, I did 15km in just under an hour. My first time out on the bike this year. During that little bit of summer we had last year I was out every day, I'm determined to stick with it this year and maybe do an event or two. I won't be doing the route I just did though. I went on what I thought was a cycle path around Parc ui Caoimh , and is advertised as such but I'm not making that mistake again. It was just gravel embedded into tarmac. Supposedly it hooks up somewhere with the track out by Mahon where it's fine, so if I can find a better way onto that instead of going around Blackrock for sport I will.

Still, I had a good time. And I wasn't too cold in shorts. :D

Follow river downstream from PUC. When you get to Blackrock village, turn left, keeping river on left. Continue to just past Castle, entrance to Coastal cycle/pedestrian path is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Beautiful along the coast through Portmarnock, Baldoyle and on into Dublin. No wind. I even flaunted the legs (although it was a tad nippy for bib shorts)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

2 punctures, only equipped to fix one so a 4 mile walk and 30 mins late for work. It is hedge cutting season round my way, back to the Schwalbe Marathon pluses for tomorrow & for a couple of weeks. That said I enjoyed the 25km I did get to cycle and the walk was along a perfectly pleasant farm track in SPDs so not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Did a nice 45k loop from Portmarnock to Ballyboughal in lovely sunshine. Bared the legs also and happy with an average of 26kph. Losing 13 kilos of lard in the past month makes cycling a lot easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

veetwin wrote: »
    Did a nice 45k loop from Portmarnock to Ballyboughal in lovely sunshine. Bared the legs also and happy with an average of 26kph. Losing 13 kilos of lard in the past month makes cycling a lot easier!
    13kg in a month?! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement