Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

30k round back roads of dunboyne..breezy enough at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Saw a lot of guys descending the Sally Gap this morning. Me and my cycling buddy were the only two eejits going up it. (Apart from lone cyclist in the blue, we salute you sir). It is always freaking cold and windy at the top of the gap and the descent to Roundwood from Glenmacnass as no fun. Excellent coffee stop there though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I took a wrong turn on the Ardattin 200 Audax today, got lost for a bit, and ended up doing 217kms! :o
    LennoxR wrote: »
    Saw a lot of guys descending the Sally Gap this morning. Me and my cycling buddy were the only two eejits going up it. (Apart from lone cyclist in the blue, we salute you sir). It is always freaking cold and windy at the top of the gap and the descent to Roundwood from Glenmacnass as no fun. Excellent coffee stop there though :)
    Laragh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I took a wrong turn on the Ardattin 200 Audax today, got lost for a bit, and ended up doing 217kms! :o

Laragh ;)

Actually didn't mean Glenmacnass, meant Luggala. Definitely ended up in R'wood. Personally don't care for the cafe in Laragh anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I took a wrong turn on the Ardattin 200 Audax today, got lost for a bit, and ended up doing 217kms!

Have you been navigating by the cue sheet? No worries, happened to me a few times, even when following gps track ;)

Pleasure to meet, by the way. I hope you've enjoyed the event :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    Have you been navigating by the cue sheet? No worries, happened to me a few times, even when following gps track ;)

Pleasure to meet, by the way. I hope you've enjoyed the event :)
    Nice to meet you too Alek. Did you have a good day?

(I was depending a bit too much on the Garmin and not using cue sheets enough.I ended up coming into Shillelagh twice from different directions! I'll know for the next time.)

Absolutely. Easy pace, great atmosphere (kudos to organizers!) and some good chat with chaps.

If it helps, I've noticed that following the track on screen but without the turn-by-turn navigation gives me the least trouble. It makes me focus a bit more on the surroundings _and_ the gps at the same time, while with navigation I find myself half-daydreaming, waiting for another beep to come and tell me to turn...

I'd feel quite insecure with cue sheet only at this stage, but I've promised myself to try this one day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Laragh ;)

Noticed that on your Strava map :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Down in my moms for the weekend, horrible weather, I bothered to bring the bike so had to get out, so a very very wet 60k Healy pass loop.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/127025508

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Another one of my weekly long spins, which have turned into quite a nice habit! It was a pretty tortuous first half, hitting the wind head-on for the most part, but it was all worth it when we turned south...
    There are no real hills here, so we've to rely on the wind to make life difficult for us... 2hrs 45mins against the wind was rough enough! :D

There's a race next Friday instead of my weekly century; a 25km sprint, which I'm looking forward to! A few mid-week spins/turbo sessions before that.

http://www.strava.com/activities/126766805

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek wrote: »
    I'd feel quite insecure with cue sheet only at this stage, but I've promised myself to try this one day!

I use cue sheet only (paper map in bag in case) and (very occasionally) refer to a Sports Tracker open cycle map on the phone.

Well recommended.

/luddite

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

111km around wicklow. Bloody hard

Torture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

85km with the wind and rain in my face.
    Sun and blue skies appear 10 mins after I get home.
    Thanks for nothing baby jesus! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

furiousox wrote: »
    85km with the wind and rain in my face.
    Sun and blue skies appear 10 mins after I get home.
    Thanks for nothing baby jesus! :mad:

Lesson learnt; ride for longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

It was a sportive! :p

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Savage day on the bike with some club mates. From Dublin, down the coast through bray and greystones, rathnew and in to Rathdrum and then the hills. Lots of climbing, rain, wind, more rain, more wind, hail, then Sun shine and TTT practise with a big tail wind from Blessington. Just shy of 160km. Legs are spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Did the Southeast road clubs 3 peaks challenge today very wet, and windy day,descents had to be taken carefully as there was 2 people who slipped early in the morning, Boards jersey sighting:-) saw a guy that had the boards jersey with a blue jacket on him. During the first stop had to give one of my water bottle to one fella who forgot his at home ...... didnt know it would bite me in the bum as i ran out of water during the last 10 kms and the sun came out. a smidge under 115km with 5673 ft of total climbs. for a tenner this is one sportive thats hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

zindicato wrote: »
    5673 ft of total climbs.

What does this mean? :eek::D:pac:

Seriously though - good spin. I had an hour to kill between dinner and the rugby so I managed a quick 25km. Jebus, the wind - will it ever f**k off?!

EDIT: After consulting with NASA, that's a climb of 1,729m. Nice :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

This morning headed out from Lismore, over Mount Mellary (6.1% grade) to Clonmel and all felt good....till we turned and headed for home with 40k to go...... feck!!!!!!! serious HEAD WIND :eek: all the way from Clonmel, over the "Vee" and back to Lismore.....Really zapped the legs...
    Tough going climbing the "Vee" into that head wind but did it and pleased with myself... 90k done and dusted for the Sunday spin :D
    Ave speed slow 20.2km/hr, but considering 2 good climbs and a 40k haul back into a stiff head wind....I'm happy enough..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭secman

Still trying to get km's into my legs after a 5 month lay off from oct to end feb. Killenagh- kilmuckridge-ballygarret.-courtown-gorey-arklow-gorey- ballycanew-killenagh.70 km all in.
    Thanks to the randomer rider James who gave me a spare tube having punctured on way back to gorey. My 2 spare tubes were on the dodgy side, valve lock screw ln both were solid stuck, couldn't lock the valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First time downhill MTB yesterday.
    On a borrowed full sus bike.

only came off twice and only wrecked one knee; technically I crashed three times but managed to stay on the bike for one so I'm not counting that :). A bit much for my tastes, I think I'll need a bit more general MTB before going for that kind of thing again, it's terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

66km/02:31 through NCD/Meath yesterday`(Nags head, Snowtown, Belgee). Sunny - I may have got a bit of sunburn!. Amazing view from top of Snowtown down to Wicklow and up to the Mournes

I tried out a few roads that BCMF had brought us down last October and didn't get too lost so well pleased to get back in time for the disappointing result in Toulon.

Quite hairy moment this morning. While sprinting uphill on a turn (chasing a KOM in Phoenix Park), the back wheel went over a gravel patch and gave in... bike turned almost 90 degrees and I'd swear I've touched the tarmac with my knee.. to my surprise (yay!) centrifugal force threw me back into balance ;-) Only 7th place, but with a shot of adrenaline! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pats22b

rathfarnham-cruagh-boher na b - brittas-blessington - lake drive - back n81-86km

Wet windy morning yesterday - just wanted to post to say thanks to the two lads who stopped on the east side of the lake drive to give me a much needed hand putting the chain back together after not 1 but two links broke with 3 healthy links in between. It was much appreciated and i made it home on the repairs no problem with the three gears i was brave enough to chance shifting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

97 km Cork-Carrigaline-Kinsale-Cork, windy & sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

godtabh wrote: »
    111km around wicklow. Bloody hard

Torture

Nice route! I'd say the last drag around carrickmines was the tough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

http://www.strava.com/activities/127807258

Today was my fourth cycle since getting back on the bike for the year and the furthest I've cycled so far. I've gone from 14.4km last Tuesday to 20.5km today. It's been pretty much the same route and I've gone from 15.6km/h average speed to a 20.0km/h average speed. So I'm cycling further but pretty much going for the same time. I'm finding it really encouraging the feeling of getting to know how much I can push myself.

Now to just keep adding to that distance. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Just 20k at 25kph in between finishing work and picking up the kids from school.

The rough roads contributed nicely to toughening up my backside and the wet windy weather blew away the cobwebs. Mostly I'm just glad I got up on the bike and got out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Complete head-bonk. Went to do Sally Gap and back, around 70km. Headwind was terrible, I hadn't been on a decent cycle in a month+, I'd been eating crap and drinking beer, traffic was bad, the trucks were flying down, I should have drank more water this morning, I should have grabbed something more substantial to eat this morning. All the usual excuses, but mostly I'm completely unfit at the moment. Got to a crescent about 20km in, stopped, gave up and rolled home.

Gah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

After yesterday's fail, I set out to do a more manageable 50km - ish today. Fared better - struggled up past Johnny Foxes, with a little bit of walking. Really feeling the extra weight I've put on recently. All the more reason to work towards getting rid.

Nearly ended up in a pretty nasty situation at the junction of St. Patricks/Kevin St when a muppet turning right at speed against me didn't see me coming through the junction (Green on my side). I have absolutely no idea what I did to not get hit. His bumper would have been precious centimetres from my legs. He stopped, I stopped, I pointed at the lights and before I could unclip, he'd sped off.

Got home and discovered I'd forgotten to turn my Strava recording back on after a lady asked me directions just before crossing over the M50.

Still better than yesterday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement