Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Had a group of lady cyclists tell me that "You've restored our faith in cyclists!" at Ardcath this evening. All for saying hello to them as I cycled past them and then giving them a bit of a slagging for not cycling hard enough (they were chatting while cycling up the hill at Ardcath!). They said that not a single rider from another group of riders from a different club, who I have noticed, ride out there each Wednesday evening, so much as grunted at them in greeting.

Score one for the nice guy in the Swords gear!

I don't get why cyclists don't be more friendly. I always say hello when being passed or passing. Last Saturday I got a 'hurry up' as I was passing between groups and some lad giving me abuse up scalp. Bloody mountain bikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭rob w

Having only moved to Lille yesterday, went bought myself a nice vintage bike today, and had a 15km spin home on it after. it's an Old school bike, and very different to my Giant Defy back in Ireland! The gear levers mounted on the down tube, never used them before today, but will get used to it I suppose! Pic below!
    Picked the bike up on the opposite side of the city to where I am living, so hopped on and off I took.....on the other side of the road :( which I've never had to do before. A little but unnerving, particularly at junctions.....and don't talk to me about roundabouts.

Other than that it seems a nice place to cycle, plenty of dedicated cycle lanes, nice smooth roads, except in the heart of the city where it's all cobbled streets. Loads of the junctions have traffic lights down at head height for cyclists which is great when you can't see the normal lights. Cyclist also allowed to turn right on a red when it's clear to do so!

Looking forward to starting the daily commute on Monday, will be out to get some more practice on quieter roundabouts/junctions though before then!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

godtabh wrote: »
    I don't get why cyclists don't be more friendly. I always say hello when being passed or passing. Last Saturday I got a 'hurry up' as I was passing between groups and some lad giving me abuse up scalp. Bloody mountain bikers

If you get abuse just tell them to fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Nice 44k last night. From Navan around by Bective, Trim, Dunderry, Robinstown and back. Came up behind 2 lads in Robinstown and then had the dilemma. Do I pass them but maybe not be able to get away and end up looking like a muppet. Or do I sit behind them and potentially annoy them by getting a free tow and disrupt their chat as well. I sat in but took the first available turn off. They didn't seem to mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

After taking a tumble last night on way home after 70 k decided to go out with club tonight. Handy flat 50k for bit recovery, knee felt fine it just looks like I lost an argument with a sander .... Suddenly see the benefit of shaving the legs,hairy as f¥^% . Hair getting matted into wounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

125km today to finish the 1,266km Specialized challenge on strava :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Just did 18km yesterday evening. Haven't been able to get out for much cycling at all over the last 10 days or so.
    Went as hard as I could for the 18 km. Few little mini hills etc and I thought I was absolutely flying it!!! Full sure I was going to be hitting 33 or 34 km/hr avergae. Felt a bit deflated when I saw 29.2 at the finish!! :(
    It was good to get even that short spin nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Short spin to featherbeds y'day into a dog of a wind.

APRIL BY THE NUMBERS

DISTANCE TRAVELED
    877.2 KM

AMOUNT CLIMBED
    14,009 METERS

Targeting 1,000km for May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out for a spin after work. 30km. Atrocious roads. Absolutely pouring rain but it was warm enough for shorts. Enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Trying to use the time I have and up the mileage. 20km spin before work. Went alright I guess. Weather was rough and legs were still asleep. http://www.strava.com/activities/136040654

32km spin after work. Legs were a bit more awake and the rain had disappeared. Unfortunately it was pretty windy. http://www.strava.com/activities/136244051

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

yesterday 112km

tallaght -blessington -sallygap-laragh-wicklow gap- lake drive blessington-ballynascorney and then home

all the hill work iv been doing is paying of, it was only a few months ago I couldn't get over sallys gap without stopping at least 2-3 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had planned to head up the featherbeds etc after work and then back to de nortside. But wimped out when the drizzle didn't ease off. Headed for a few repeats of Howth instead, adding 30km and 500m climbing to my commute. Wicklow maybe next week....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

42km and 620m of climbing. Need to start getting as much climbing in over the next6 weeks or so for the Evil 200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

quick 12k sprint around the celbridge interchange before kids out of school. took 4 seconds off one of my sprints for a 3rd place on strava. Ill take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

jober wrote: »
    yesterday 112km

tallaght -blessington -sallygap-laragh-wicklow gap- lake drive blessington-ballynascorney and then home

all the hill work iv been doing is paying of, it was only a few months ago I couldn't get over sallys gap without stopping at least 2-3 times

don't forget you don't need to keep doing 100km + to keep and get in shape, concentrated rides of 40-50km with goals working on riding in your zone and fast are as good. Great progress though keep it up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Wicklow maybe next week....

Spoken like a true Northsider :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

Short spin up to the viewing point by stocking lane this evening, hardest short effort I've ever done on the bike, nearly coughed up a lung at the top, but took 45 seconds off my PR on Scholarstown Rd to Viewing Point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

omicron wrote: »
    Short spin up to the viewing point by stocking lane this evening, hardest short effort I've ever done on the bike, nearly coughed up a lung at te top, but took 45 seconds off my PR on Scholarstown Rd to Viewing Point. :)

don't stop at viewing point keep going to the featherbeds its not harder but a good one to get stamina up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

manafana wrote: »
    don't stop at viewing point keep going to the featherbeds its not harder but a good one to get stamina up

Normally would but nearly puked at the viewing point so said I'd stop!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gran Fondo 5 out of the way nice and early this month
    http://www.strava.com/activities/136715825

Got drowned though, miserable day after the first two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

115k today of lovely flat terrain (Dublin - Clonee - Trim - Enfield - Maynooth - Dublin). Goal for the day was to keep the average over 30kmh, just about managed it in the end, was fading bad. Was hampered by some pesky traffic lights when back in Dublin.

Lovely day out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

95 kms of mostly flats spin, mix of old friends who haven't cycled in months and new guys who just bought their first road bikes:-) good number today about 11 of us, lots of stopping to catch their breaths and cramps for the new ones on their first hill( howth) but after a while they got the hang of it and totally enjoyed it:-) http://www.strava.com/activities/136852472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Solo spin in the hills. Finally attempted Kippure; tough climb but sadly no view today to make up for it. Tailwind all the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Around 100k on the CRY cycle in Monagea, did mixture of 80 and 135. Bloody tough climbing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Tour De Cure. 168k with a 30k average. Not a great day for it at all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

eoz wrote: »
    Tour De Cure. 168k with a 30k average. Not a great day for it at all!!!

I did the 100, horrible day on the bike, the wind seemed to be against us all day, Lismore foodstop was excellent though, now to wash half a tonne of mud from the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

105 km @ ~25 km/h, Tour de Cure. Last 25 km were _tough_

I hope that all guys that were testing how hard is the road using their knees and elbows are OK!! :mad:

305620.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hadn't really planned on doing the whole thing when I joined.

Anyways...

m74xtk.jpg

w00t! :)

163km at an average of 29.2kph. To tired to think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    163km at an average of 29.2kph. To tired to think
    ....and less than 4 minutes difference in your total time and elapsed time! You must have had the Missus driving the support car handing you bottles/food etc. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement