Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

....and less than 4 minutes difference in your total time and elapsed time! You must have had the Missus driving the support car handing you bottles/food etc. :D

I wish. Probably had a couple of kilos of supplies on me. Got me home 45 minutes early so a few browny points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

godtabh wrote: »
    I wish. Probably had a couple of kilos of supplies on me. Got me home 45 minutes early so a few browny points!

Browny pints or points?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Browny pints or points?

I think a pint would finish me off complete. Recover tomorrow and out again on Monday. Browny points cashed in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think a pint would finish me off complete. Recover tomorrow and out again on Monday. Browny points cashed in

If you're cycling back the same route, PM me and I'll put the kettle on for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went out hard, came back soft. 73.5km in just over 3 hours @24.3kmh. Longwood - Trim - Kilcock - Donadea - Johnstownbridge - Longwood. Funny auld wind, seemed to be against me for 75% of the spin even though I did a loop.
    I figure if I can do 70km solo then I'll manage the 100 Tour of Meath. Any tips from anyone to deal with lactic build up? My thighs were on fire for the last few km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/137227533

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

163km at an average of 29.2kph. To tired to think

:oThat's fukin ridiculously fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Went out hard, came back soft. 73.5km in just over 3 hours @24.3kmh. Longwood - Trim - Kilcock - Donadea - Johnstownbridge - Longwood. Funny auld wind, seemed to be against me for 75% of the spin even though I did a loop.
    I figure if I can do 70km solo then I'll manage the 100 Tour of Meath. Any tips from anyone to deal with lactic build up? My thighs were on fire for the last few km.

shift down a gear, spin the pedals faster

Daroxtar wrote: »

No expert but play with the gears more. Cadence is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

75km with a 23.4 average. Longest cycle to date. Bit breezy on the way out, seemed to calm a bit on the way home which was nice. Still not thrilled with my average speed but I'd like to get the distance up a bit and then work on the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

126k today
    Nice flat route bit windy thou

Tallaght-celbridge-edenderry-rathdangan-newbridge-naas-Blessington and home

Gonna enjoy a few pints of guinness later as a reward for my efforts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

75km with a 23.4 average. Longest cycle to date. Bit breezy on the way out, seemed to calm a bit on the way home which was nice. Still not thrilled with my average speed but I'd like to get the distance up a bit and then work on the speed.

too much talk of average speed here, enjoy yourself see how you do on a long stretch of road and on a nice climb. Track standing slowing up for traffic or junctions can affect average speeds as your not fully stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A friend of mine just purchased her first (very, very nice) road bike, brought her on a slow spin out as far as Howth with plenty of stops. She managed 40k first time, sent her home chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

manafana wrote: »
    too much talk of average speed here, enjoy yourself see how you do on a long stretch of road and on a nice climb. Track standing slowing up for traffic or junctions can affect average speeds as your not fully stopped.

Very true, but with some cycle computers you can adjust the settings so say if you drop below 5 Kph this is not calculated into your overall average speed. One of the nice features on the Garmin connect site is when you upload data it calculates not only your average speed but also your average moving speed, giving a more accurate figure of your cycle.
    Living in the middle of Cork city i have to pass through at least 6 or 7 sets of traffic lights before my "proper cycle" begins, i have been tempted to wait until i pass the last set of lights before switching my computer on but i always start from home for a more accurate overall figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Did the South Armagh charity Giro cycle earlier.
    Nearly 250 took part and everyone got a nice souvenir medal. :)

305696.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pedestrian 76km cycle round Camross Wexford followed by a fast 60 man sprint, far too far to go for that.

jober wrote: »
    126k today
    Nice flat route bit windy thou

Tallaght-celbridge-edenderry-rathdangan-newbridge-naas-Blessington and home

Gonna enjoy a few pints of guinness later as a reward for my efforts

There's much nicer ways to get from Rathangan to Blessington than through Newbridge and Naas, but that's a nice loop.

With the exception of just before the Newbridge GP we see very few of the (greater) Dublin clubs down this way, our coffee shops need a boost, consider us lads :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Baba's first cycle today.

305700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

furiousox wrote: »
    Did the South Armagh charity Giro cycle earlier.
    Nearly 250 took part and everyone got a nice souvenir medal. :)

That's one cool medal.

Did 101km myself. Drogheda, Duleek, Trim, Kilmessan, Hill of Tara, Duleek, Julienstown, Laytown, Donnacarney, Drogheda.

Had a coffee stop at Tara, where the coffee was really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

nilhg wrote: »
    There's much nicer ways to get from Rathangan to Blessington than through Newbridge and Naas, but that's a nice loop.

With the exception of just before the Newbridge GP we see very few of the (greater) Dublin clubs down this way, our coffee shops need a boost, consider us lads :-)

Unfortunately I don't know the area well at all so had to follow the sign posts,first time taking that route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

OldBean wrote: »
    A friend of mine just purchased her first (very, very nice) road bike, brought her on a slow spin out as far as Howth with plenty of stops. She managed 40k first time, sent her home chuffed!

There's a dirty joke there somewhere but I cant see it..

40k first time, she must have had a decent level of fitness to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

not yet wrote: »
    There's a dirty joke there somewhere but I cant see it..

:pac:
    40k first time, she must have had a decent level of fitness to start with.
    Bloody better than mine. We took it pretty handy and stopped for a break every 10km and no hills, but I was impressed! Delighted to have a friend to cycle with!

jober wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't know the area well at all so had to follow the sign posts,first time taking that route

For future reference, much quieter roads, a lot less traffic, done as a loop but you'll see both options.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4624532

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Went from Swords to the Ward Cross and from there to Garristown, Naul and back to Swords Manor. First time to do that course. Nasty wee hill coming out of Naul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

went exploring off road tracks(fixed gear road bike on 23mm tyres) in the phoenix park this evening, up and down grassy hills for sprint work. I felt like a 14 yr old boy, made me seriously think of doing cyclocross

spent 2 hrs there, I think Ill have to make it a weekly activity

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

No Pants wrote: »
    Went from Swords to the Ward Cross and from there to Garristown, Naul and back to Swords Manor. First time to do that course. Nasty wee hill coming out of Naul.

Yeah I do that route quite a bit... after that climb though you have that long decent back to Ballyboughal :-)

Diggabot wrote: »
    Yeah I do that route quite a bit... after that climb though you have that long decent back to Ballyboughal :-)
    Yeah, that was welcome all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

went exploring off road tracks(fixed gear road bike on 23mm tyres) in the phoenix park this evening, up and down grassy hills for sprint work. I felt like a 14 yr old boy, made me seriously think of doing cyclocross

spent 2 hrs there, I think Ill have to make it a weekly activity

Kinda related: just recently went from 23mm gators to 28mm 4seasons on me single speed with that kinda thing in mind- canal paths, dirt tracks. Its nice to bomb around on steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

slap/dash wrote: »
    Kinda related: just recently went from 23mm gators to 28mm 4seasons on me single speed with that kinda thing in mind- canal paths, dirt tracks. Its nice to bomb around on steel

actually my front is a 25mm panarcer pasela tg so it had some traction for off road steering, rear is a 23mm gp4000s at low pressure, the 23mm wide rims make the tyres a little wider too, Ill swap to a 25mm rear eventually. had some close calls going thru mud and losing the bake wheel for a second!

those pasela's are hit&miss, Ive had 1 with a side wall tear after 1mile, the other after 500miles, both went in the bin. good grip with them tho

steel frame too, very comfortable, just the right amount of flex in it.

25mm is a happy medium, I find that wider tyres puncture more often as they pick up more glass with the extra road contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

65km today, rounding up 500km for the week, biggest weekly distance since I started cycling! :)

And for the negative, decided to give the Howth village side descent a fair blast, absolutely flying down (no traffic etc), legs going mad around 67/68km/h..

..clink..

..highest gear decides to engage half way down the hill..

mrYX9yv.gif

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    And for the negative, decided to give the Howth village side descent a fair blast, absolutely flying down (no traffic etc), legs going mad around 67/68km/h..
    I've had some good runs down there over the past couple of years, but the number of dumb manoeuvres I've had pulled is noteable, from cars pulling in, people walking out in front of me, cars pulling out and having to be overtaken to my favourite; someone did a slow three point turn right in front of me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement