Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I did my longest cycle yet yesterday. 70km in 3.5 hrs. Some serious hills around cross had me struggling.

Bailieborough-Mullagh-Moynalty-Carlanstown-Kells-Virginia-Cross-Mullagh-Bailieborough.

That's only my 3rd real proper cycle and my 6th cycle altogether this year. Before that I hadn't cycled since I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Bailieborough-Mullagh-Moynalty-Carlanstown-Kells-Virginia-Cross-Mullagh-Bailieborough.
    Does the main street of Kells still look like it's been recently bombarded by artillery?

No Pants wrote: »
    Does the main street of Kells still look like it's been recently bombarded by artillery?

It's not that bad these days, thankfully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

52km around athlone / moate. Miserable on the way out. Way back was grand but cold and wet met it was still miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No Pants wrote: »
    I've had some good runs down there over the past couple of years, but the number of dumb manoeuvres I've had pulled is noteable, from cars pulling in, people walking out in front of me, cars pulling out and having to be overtaken to my favourite; someone did a slow three point turn right in front of me.

I've always been fairly nervous when I reach the church and that continuous green light..and of course yesterday some fool decided to undertake a right turning car (to go up the steep side of the church) who was waiting patiently for me to pass, right in front of my path..one of the best upgrades I've ever made are the brakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1st road spin with junior Beeps this morning, he's using MrsBeeps 51cm Felt, need to pick him up a 24" bike or at least a 48cm as he's a bit stretched on it.
    10336668_10152017057736356_3323759653429742588_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

I know its a day late, but I did the Tour of Sligo yesterday. Weather wasn't great but a very enjoyable experience nonetheless.
    Longest ride to date.....and just about to head off to do a leg of the Cycle against Suicide. Gotta love this cycling lark.

PS. Couldn't post a strava link. Stupid "new user" rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The lad needs a Boards top! :)

went exploring off road tracks(fixed gear road bike on 23mm tyres) in the phoenix park this evening, up and down grassy hills for sprint work. I felt like a 14 yr old boy, made me seriously think of doing cyclocross

I have a mountain bike I bought a few years back and never used, it's cheap (shadow something or other) and a little too big for me but I love hiking so maybe I'll start bring it out as well as the road bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Missed out on the Orwell Randonee on Saturday to head down to my dad's in south Wexford. Dublin - Laragh - Aughrim - Carnew - Bunclody - Kiltealy - Adamstown - Ramsgrange, 176k, last 60k into the wind 8hr50 all in, absolutely dying for the last couple of hours. Back up today, hoisted the mainsail, pointed the bike North, sat back and let the south wind to do the hard work. 7hr15 for the same trip, and a pure joy. 352k for the weekend, albeit with a rest day in the middle, so I decided to weigh myself to see if I'd dropped any weight for my efforts. And yes, I lost half a pound. Half a ****ing pound! Am considering getting back on the bike and heading to the kebab shop to celebrate.

Also: People of Wexford take note. There's this black stuff one traditionally puts on roads called tarmac. The people who constructed the pavé section between Newbaun and Adamstown seem unaware of this. If you're talking to them, you might mention it in passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

A quick 50km "warmdown" after the Giro charity spin yesterday.
    Drogheda-Duleek-Kentstown-Kilmoon-Duleek-Drogheda.
    I'm going to miss the wind and rain when it's gone.
    It's y'know...character building....:cool:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

went exploring off road tracks(fixed gear road bike on 23mm tyres) in the phoenix park this evening, up and down grassy hills for sprint work. I felt like a 14 yr old boy, made me seriously think of doing cyclocross

spent 2 hrs there, I think Ill have to make it a weekly activity

Sscx is so much fun. Guy in the uk races it fixed gear. Check out the lfgss sscx thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

40km Town-Howth-Town

Was involved in a bit of an incident in town today. Ahead of me a car moves into the left lane (no indicator) then quickly cuts infront of me (no indicator). He sticks his hand out to apologies and i think nothing of it. A least he has the decency to apologize. Then 2 seconds later he stops in front of me to pick up his mate at a traffic island. I am forced to jump up the traffic island and break. I let out a "ffs" and the dude gives me dogs abuse getting into the car whilst the driver unbelievably beeps at me!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.346963,-6.259001,3a,75y,165.77h,70.08t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1siHMU29495U344tQKpyQsPg!2e0 that's where he pulled in. Unreal location to pick up a friend. You couldn't pick a worse place !

What makes this interesting is that he was driving a company car with its name + website plastered all over it. Should i contact them ? You reckon that's a dick move ? or should i just let it go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

c0rk3r wrote: »
    40km Town-Howth-Town

Was involved in a bit of an incident in town today. Ahead of me a car moves into the left lane (no indicator) then quickly cuts infront of me (no indicator). He sticks his hand out to apologies and i think nothing of it. A least he has the decency to apologize. Then 2 seconds later he stops in front of me to pick up his mate at a traffic island. I am forced to jump up the traffic island and break. I let out a "ffs" and the dude gives me dogs abuse getting into the car whilst the driver unbelievably beeps at me!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.346963,-6.259001,3a,75y,165.77h,70.08t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1siHMU29495U344tQKpyQsPg!2e0 that's where he pulled in. Unreal location to pick up a friend. You couldn't pick a worse place !

What makes this interesting is that he was driving a company car with its name + website plastered all over it. Should i contact them ? You reckon that's a dick move ? or should i just let it go ?

It'd be easier contacting them while you are ok, rather than in a hospital bed..or the morgue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Day late, but did a quick 40k yesterday in the Blessington direction, didn't love the Crooksling drag, stopped for coffee and to fix a friend's bike then pulled a u-turn and found that same Crooksling drag was a pretty nice descent, hit a max speed of 58kph on the return leg.

Strava gave me an average speed of 31kph for the return, and 23kph on the way out buuuut...it also claimed the route was 21km on the way out and 15.8 following the exact same route home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a a nice 86km around the Blessington Lakes on Saturday morning - my longest spin of the year so far. It had been almost two weeks since my last spin so I was a bit worried that it might have been a tough one but it went better than expected - I managed 26.5km/h for the spin.

I had planned to go out today but my plans were scuppered as I went on a family spin in Tymon Park yesterday and Mrs. crosstownk took a spill from her Dawes Duchess. She fell from about 4km/h trying to avoid the one of the kids on a blind uphill. We all spent an hour today in a VHI Swiftcare Clinic where my wife was told that she had fractured her lower right arm and broke two bones of her ring finger on her left hand. She was well pi$$ed that they had to cut her rings off.

Hopefully she'll recover quickly as she's made of tough stuff. The joys of cycling. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

crosstownk wrote: »
    I did a a nice 86km around the Blessington Lakes on Saturday morning - my longest spin of the year so far. It had been almost two weeks since my last spin so I was a bit worried that it might have been a tough one but it went better than expected - I managed 26.5km/h for the spin.

I had planned to go out today but my plans were scuppered as I went on a family spin in Tymon Park yesterday and Mrs. crosstownk took a spill from her Dawes Duchess. She fell from about 4km/h trying to avoid the one of the kids on a blind uphill. We all spent an hour today in a VHI Swiftcare Clinic where my wife was told that she had fractured her lower right arm and broke two bones of her ring finger on her left hand. She was well pi$$ed that they had to cut her rings off.

Hopefully she'll recover quickly as she's made of tough stuff. The joys of cycling. :(

best wishes to Mrs. crosstownk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

101k yesterday. Northside to Sally Gap via Cruagh. What a wind! About 2:20 out and 1:40 back. Knackered at the end of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Did my usual 35km-ish run from Artane out to Howth, around the north side, through the village, up to Howth summit, back down the south side, back to Artane.

Gorgeous morning for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

40km on Sunday morning with the local Sky Ride group - started in Finsbury Park, headed out on a rather meandering route towards Hackney and further east, up along the canal towpaths in the Lee Valley park towards Walthamstow marshes, out towards Tottenham from there and past White Hart Lane, up towards Alexandra Palace for a lovely leg-burning climb followed by a long downhill, then back up one last hill at Muswell Hill which I really struggled with after pretty much burning myself out on the Ally Pally climb! Back to the start point then and back up home from there. Lovely morning altogether.

Found the pace of the ride a little slow on most of the flat sections, the ride leaders were trying to keep a very mixed ability group of 15 together and a couple of the women were on mammy bikes. I'm a very nervous descender though so I ended up losing some time on the two big descents near the end. Still quite happy with it overall though - I've finally now actually covered the distance of the bike section of an Olympic distance tri in a spin. A good cycling and running week last week but only one swim... *blush*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lennymc wrote: »
    Sscx is so much fun. Guy in the uk races it fixed gear. Check out the lfgss sscx thread.

here is his bike. If Im not mistaken its a dolan pre cursa track frame....

img11391024x677.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

c0rk3r wrote: »
    40km Town-Howth-Town

<REDACTED> that's where he pulled in. Unreal location to pick up a friend. You couldn't pick a worse place !

I've had a couple of apologies, a lot of abuse, free stuff and a real shouting match from complaining. The shouting match was from a company who had the "Is My Driving OK?" sticker on the back of the lorry.

I have to say Dublin Bus are taking things seriously. I was informed by email that a driver who passed me and pulled in on top of me was suspended. Couple of eye witness accounts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

first time posting here. cycled 130km from ballincollig-macroom-millstreet-macroom-blarney-ballincollig. longest distance this year and averaged 27km/hr. was wanting to get fit before joining cycling club. would i be ready now?worried wont be able ti keep the pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Decided to go for a spin yesterday evening only to get 4km down the road for a car to turn left on top of me. A concussion and 15hrs of rock hard Beaumont chairs later I got home to a pretty sorry looking bike.
    Shifter flat to the bar. Front wheel not so wheel looking and VW black paint all on the right side of the bike.

stecleary wrote: »
    Decided to go for a spin yesterday evening only to get 4km down the road for a car to turn left on top of me. A concussion and 15hrs of rock hard Beaumont chairs later I got home to a pretty sorry looking bike.
    Shifter flat to the bar. Front wheel not so wheel looking and VW black paint all on the right side of the bike.

Did the driver stop? Their insurance will repair/replace the bike surely?

physioman wrote: »
    first time posting here. cycled 130km from ballincollig-macroom-millstreet-macroom-blarney-ballincollig. longest distance this year and averaged 27km/hr. was wanting to get fit before joining cycling club. would i be ready now?worried wont be able ti keep the pace

I'll leave it till next year to join a cycling club, if I was at the stage you're at now I'd definitely join one this year. I'm currently at a 21kph average and 70km was my longest cycle. Lots of hills around here to slow me down though. I do some km at 31kph and others as slow as 16kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Did the driver stop? Their insurance will repair/replace the bike surely?

Yeah she stopped but tried blame me until the garda pointed out she was wrong. Insurance will cover everything.
    Wonder if I can claim the time off work too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Yeah she stopped but tried blame me until the garda pointed out she was wrong. Insurance will cover everything.
    I would certainly try to claim everything. Bike, medical bills, lost income, etc. If the insurer does not play ball, then it's time for solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

Yes you can, if you can prove that you will be out of pocket. If you can show you are paid on a hourly/daily rate, with a doctors note, official one only. If you are entitled to claim social welfare for the time out, that would normally be deducted from what you be entitled to. The out of pocket expense should be at gross, not net as you would still be eligible to pay tax, vat etc on the amount.

Any out of pocket expenses can be included in a claim, all have to be backed up by bills, invoices, certs, quotes etc.

If you are a full time PAYE type person, nope you can't claim out of work expenses.

Be aware, if you go down this route, the likelihood is that you will have to be prepared to fight the case in court :(

If you and the driver can reach an agreement it is really better as then the driver can work with you to replace the bike and know they are not being rolled and you are not being done by an adjuster trying to minimise payout and maintain his margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Only a 10k spin home from work, but had my own headwind all the way back after a hard days graft.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement